Army veteran denied pension by Centrelink after being trapped overseas due to border closures

After being stuck in Malaysia when the borders closed down, an Australian veteran says he felt like Centrelink told him “f**k you” after being denied his application for the pension.

BUKCG5Hu4bLOZryJVvhk9wIXiJyLyvMWAFakcvx-fgDmGfUZl7ibRwKDF66T16X4KAIC_Tw5-D7mSTH2Atg8Snudz6VlHl9blgYPEeCVgE_sPzhB6RCVKCWPkLHOLcmYdsB_fRYW

Steve Hambley and his wife were stuck in Malaysia and could not apply for the Age Pension. Photos from news.com.au.

Steve Hambley has spent 21 years in the army and has worked as a corrections officer in Brisbane for 23 years. After retiring, the veteran and his wife sold their Brisbane home and travelled around for four years.

The application process for Services Australia’s Age Pension requires a submitted claim 13 weeks before the person reaches Age Pension age, which is 67 years old. Mr Hambley became eligible last year while renting in Penang.

When the pair was due to fly back home to Australia in early 2020, the international borders slammed shut, forcing the two to ‘ride out’ the lockdowns in Malaysia instead.

They tried booking several flights back home but were unsuccessful. At the time, airfare prices were beginning to skyrocket.

“I’m not in a financial position for the two of us to pay $10,000 in airfares then $4000-5000 in isolation costs,” said Mr Hambley.

“We were looking at anywhere between $15,000 and $20,000 just to get home.”

Arrangements between Australia and other countries for social security payments allow pensioners stuck outside the country to keep on receiving their payments.

However, the process for claiming Age Pension does not accommodate for people like Mr Hambley, who was applying for the first time.

When he attempted to apply for pension via the Centrelink website, the final part of the application process required him to attend in person.

“I contacted Centrelink and was told there’s no way around this,” the 67-year-old said.

“I sent emails to the Commonwealth Ombudsman, the PM’s office, the leader of the opposition. I got condolences from everybody – how sad, too bad. The PM’s office sent an email back saying thanks for your enquiry. Unfortunately, nothing can be done. That’s the rules, and that’s the way it is.”

Mr Hambley also recalled receiving a phone call from a representative from Services Australia, who told him he’s “been out of Australia too long” to be eligible to apply at all.

The 67-year-old veteran felt like the government handed him a “f**k you” after the call.

“If it was a politician having a similar issue, I can tell you they would sort it out,” he added.

NCO_-5DpCDL2tOTmQ0cxPFDikNsTLelA77fApb7Gr8Blq1S2zqTHKhaE8DeC2A-ZK0Cq9dyJyn_fCzrYiBz5yl4-PHGntBGLY4h4UG2isSvey5qzjGAXI7FTc9uchoyT4YsjCtXg

Photo credit: Superguide.com.au.

Currently, Australia has international security agreements with 31 countries, with several more under negotiation. These agreements allow Australian residents to maximise their income and claim certain social security payments, including the Age Pension, while living in an agreement country.

The list of agreement countries includes Austria, Belgium, Chile, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Latvia, the Republic of North Macedonia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, the Slovak Republic, Switzerland, and the USA.

Unfortunately, Malaysia is not currently on the list.

Mr Hambley said he and his wife were unsure of their possible next steps, and their finances were “dwindling fairly quickly”.

“Luckily, the dollar goes a lot further here,” he said.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Social Services has already responded to Mr Hambley’s enquiries.

“It is a longstanding requirement of the social security system that a person must be in Australia on the date that a claim for the Age Pension is lodged,” she said.

“These rules are set in legislation, and there is no discretionary power to intervene and allow someone to claim the Pension while overseas.

“During the pandemic, the government extended portability arrangements to ensure anyone unable to return home because of Covid-19 could continue to receive payments.

“When Mr Hambley returns to Australia, he will be able to apply for the Age Pension.”

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored
Army veteran denied pension by Centrelink after being trapped overseas due to border closures

After being stuck in Malaysia when the borders closed down, an Australian veteran says he felt like Centrelink told him “f**k you” after being denied his application for the pension.

BUKCG5Hu4bLOZryJVvhk9wIXiJyLyvMWAFakcvx-fgDmGfUZl7ibRwKDF66T16X4KAIC_Tw5-D7mSTH2Atg8Snudz6VlHl9blgYPEeCVgE_sPzhB6RCVKCWPkLHOLcmYdsB_fRYW

Steve Hambley and his wife were stuck in Malaysia and could not apply for the Age Pension. Photos from news.com.au.

Steve Hambley has spent 21 years in the army and has worked as a corrections officer in Brisbane for 23 years. After retiring, the veteran and his wife sold their Brisbane home and travelled around for four years.

The application process for Services Australia’s Age Pension requires a submitted claim 13 weeks before the person reaches Age Pension age, which is 67 years old. Mr Hambley became eligible last year while renting in Penang.

When the pair was due to fly back home to Australia in early 2020, the international borders slammed shut, forcing the two to ‘ride out’ the lockdowns in Malaysia instead.

They tried booking several flights back home but were unsuccessful. At the time, airfare prices were beginning to skyrocket.

“I’m not in a financial position for the two of us to pay $10,000 in airfares then $4000-5000 in isolation costs,” said Mr Hambley.

Arrangements between Australia and other countries for social security payments allow pensioners stuck outside the country to keep on receiving their payments.

However, the process for claiming Age Pension does not accommodate for people like Mr Hambley, who was applying for the first time.

When he attempted to apply for pension via the Centrelink website, the final part of the application process required him to attend in person.

“I contacted Centrelink and was told there’s no way around this,” the 67-year-old said.

“I sent emails to the Commonwealth Ombudsman, the PM’s office, the leader of the opposition. I got condolences from everybody – how sad, too bad. The PM’s office sent an email back saying thanks for your enquiry. Unfortunately, nothing can be done. That’s the rules, and that’s the way it is.”

Mr Hambley also recalled receiving a phone call from a representative from Services Australia, who told him he’s “been out of Australia too long” to be eligible to apply at all.

The 67-year-old veteran felt like the government handed him a “f**k you” after the call.

“If it was a politician having a similar issue, I can tell you they would sort it out,” he added.

NCO_-5DpCDL2tOTmQ0cxPFDikNsTLelA77fApb7Gr8Blq1S2zqTHKhaE8DeC2A-ZK0Cq9dyJyn_fCzrYiBz5yl4-PHGntBGLY4h4UG2isSvey5qzjGAXI7FTc9uchoyT4YsjCtXg

Currently, Australia has international security agreements with 31 countries, with several more under negotiation. These agreements allow Australian residents to maximise their income and claim certain social security payments, including the Age Pension, while living in an agreement country.

The list of agreement countries includes Austria, Belgium, Chile, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Latvia, the Republic of North Macedonia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, the Slovak Republic, Switzerland, and the USA.

Mr Hambley said he and his wife were unsure of their possible next steps, and their finances were “dwindling fairly quickly”.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Social Services has already responded to Mr Hambley’s enquiries.

“It is a longstanding requirement of the social security system that a person must be in Australia on the date that a claim for the Age Pension is lodged,” she said.

“These rules are set in legislation, and there is no discretionary power to intervene and allow someone to claim the Pension while overseas.

“During the pandemic, the government extended portability arrangements to ensure anyone unable to return home because of Covid-19 could continue to receive payments.

“When Mr Hambley returns to Australia, he will be able to apply for the Age Pension.”

What are your thoughts?
What part of of "stranded in Lockdown in Malaysia am not allowed to come home" did the Government and politicians understand.

Here is a man who served his country by being in the army for a substantial amount of time being kicked in the proverbials.

Could he not be allowed to arrest the Australian Embassy in Malaysia to fulfil his attendance Criteria? However I am a little confused if he'd had been in the army would he nit be automatically be eligible for a veteran's pension?

This is a bloody disgrace, the government should look at the legislation and make amendments to it just for the pandemi, as I am sure this would not be an isolated case.

What part of of "stranded in Lockdown in Malaysia am not allowed to come home" did the Government and politicians understand.

Here is a man who served his country by being in the army for a substantial amount of time being kicked in the proverbials.

Could he not be allowed to arrest the Australian Embassy in Malaysia to fulfil his attendance Criteria? However I am a little confused if he'd had been in the army would he nit be automatically be eligible for a veteran's pension?

Reactions: Ricci and Barbh
He should be getting he’s DFRDB (defence force retirement and death benefits) from the army. This was a retirement fund similar to your super the great benefits of that fund was, that when you retired from the military after serving more than 20 years, your receive it as a fortnightly payment. Unfortunately that was changed and all ADF members now will have to wait for retirement age to get their super.
I would think that would help maintain this gentleman and he’s wife in Malaysia (although on a tight budget) until they get home.
The other point I would like to make is the Centrelink pension has more benefits the the veterans pension, I don’t think the veterans pension helps with utilities and rent.
I could be wrong.

Reactions: Ricci and Barbh
People don’t seem willing to make any allowances for the problems created by Covid. The whole world has been effected by this pandemic. People don‘t have any control over circumstances. Rules need to be looked at and amended to suit the situation, not set in stone.

While I feel for this guy would he even be eligible for the government pension? He will get a pension from DFRDB and also presumably a super pension from his time as a corrections officer. I am no expert on the ins and outs of the Centrelink system but at best I imagine he would only get a part pension and while he is out of Australia he couldn't possibly take any advantage of a pension card.

Reactions: KatKop
I am disgusted by the attitude of Centrelink and the Government. Veterans should be treated better than this and I feel an exception should have been made in this instance.

Reactions: Ricci
I seem to be going against the grain here, but there is legislation in place to prevent fraud etc. You can't just push laws to the side. There would be utter chaos. Besides can you imagine the uproar when taxpayers money is being given to anybody who applies. What needs to now be put in place is an approved escape clause that can only be action-ed by a certain minister and another responsible person. We have never had a lockdown or pandemic and rules are not in place and it will take some special legislation to cover all these possibilities, making sure there are no loop holes. That takes time.

He should be getting he’s DFRDB (defence force retirement and death benefits) from the army. This was a retirement fund similar to your super the great benefits of that fund was, that when you retired from the military after serving more than 20 years, your receive it as a fortnightly payment. Unfortunately that was changed and all ADF members now will have to wait for retirement age to get their super.
I would think that would help maintain this gentleman and he’s wife in Malaysia (although on a tight budget) until they get home.
The other point I would like to make is the Centrelink pension has more benefits the the veterans pension, I don’t think the veterans pension helps with utilities and rent.
I could be wrong.
All pensions in Australia, irrespective of what banner they come under (defence force = service or social security, etc.) are entitled to rent assistance & income support supplements ontop of the pension. The rates & requirements are the same right across the board.

While I feel for this guy would he even be eligible for the government pension? He will get a pension from DFRDB and also presumably a super pension from his time as a corrections officer. I am no expert on the ins and outs of the Centrelink system but at best I imagine he would only get a part pension and while he is out of Australia he couldn't possibly take any advantage of a pension card.
I agree. The system needs an overhaul to allow for changes brought about by C-19, but after more than 40 years as a government employee, he would surely have a decent enough super and would get very little, if anything, from the age pension. On the other hand, it's his right to apply for an age pension so it's up to Centrelink to disillusion him, or not!

Reactions: Barbh and Ricci

What are your thoughts?

Disgusting! If people like our vets didn’t fight to keep us safe there would be none of these pathetic creatures in office. This vet and his wife should have been the first ones back .

What are your thoughts?
These are unusual circumstance and they should bend the rules.
I was overseas when they brought in a passport between NZ and Aus. I could not get back! Finally mangaged to get passport.
They are usually more helpful when elections are emminent

What are your thoughts?
If joined before 1992 - DFDRB Pension. Can get this while in another job.
After 1992 - MSBS Pension
Prison Officer - State Pension
So did he take all as lump sum

Yes, Krystinne, for 21 years service he would get a pension.I

What are your thoughts?
I think this is bad,Mr Hambley has served for Australia and now because of the stupid Covid lockdown he can't get back ,it doesn't make our government look good, it's like they don't respect him

... another 'red lines' which are only applicable to Australian citizen. More sadly, that he served Australia. This Government is failing again. Wake up PM.