Are your poor energy habits costing you an extra $670? Find out the simple tricks that could save your wallet from surging bills

As quarter bills continue to rise, bill stress levels of Australians are at their highest in four years, and we might be the culprit of these sky-high bills.

SDC Images Rectangle (3).png
Bill stress levels of Australians are at their highest in four years. Image source: wayhomestudio on Freepik.

New research from ING revealed the everyday energy habits of Australians are costing more than $15 billion annually. This includes doing laundry, taking hot showers, and even boiling more water than needed.

Matt Bowen, ING Australia’s Head of Daily Banking, said, 'It's clear from the research that poor-energy habits can really add up.'

So, what are these poor-energy habits you need to be aware of?

YQrqgKxXqZuotEhN4sE46xlTt78YPPJxZt20dX44YuUgRmqaerqAE0Z3ugcDv8wwkDjjK1TJ1N3zS2sAnH12iV6Rk10e6ztWKmKbzaGQqEahYRYa3HgxcFD0q8szEyVSJE91aUDOgD36xSP9W9ED3Wo

It might not seem like much at first. But these little costs all add up–not to mention its impact on the environment.

But can you really save money with small changes around the house?

Kellie from Melbourne cut her energy usage by 30 per cent with a few little tweaks–like watching TV by candlelight, unplugging her dryer when not needed, and continuously looking for the best energy deal.

'Once I was accountable for my own electricity usage and bills, I felt a level of responsibility to consider my usage and spend in relation to my personal financial goals,' she said.

Kellie’s not the only one jumping on forward-thinking solutions to drop costs–almost two million other Aussies have chosen to go back to the office instead of working from home to save money, and some 30 per cent have opted for an air fryer over the oven to save on costs.

Senior industry fellow at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Professor Alan Pears, confirmed that air fryers are twice more efficient than an oven. ‘A roast in the oven takes two or three hours, I can put a roast in the air fryer and it's done in an hour,’ Natasha Difegerico, a Queensland mum said.

air fryer_flickr_dd351212-37e4-4597-84e6-373c482b6bce.jpeg
Thirty per cent of Australians have opted to use air fryers over ovens to save on costs. Image source: flickr.

Importance of Investing in Energy-Saving Appliances

Every appliance comes with two price tags: the purchase price and the operating cost. Over time, the latter can far outweigh the former. This is where energy-efficient appliances come into the mix. Though energy-saving appliances may have a higher upfront cost, they can save you dollars in the long run. They consume significantly less power while delivering the same performance and are environmentally friendly too!

Popular appliances with an energy-saving makeover include fridges, washing machines, dishwashers, and air conditioners. The star of the show? Undoubtedly, it's the LED Light bulb. These little champions use about one-fifth of the electricity that old-school incandescent bulbs do. They even last a whopping 25 times longer!

Then there's the modern version of the humble fridge. Today's energy-efficient fridges use 40% less power than similar models made ten years ago. They make up one of the most significant shares of our power bills, so every tiny saving here is a big win for your wallet.

We haven't forgotten about the laundry! Investing in an energy-star-rated washing machine may have a steep upfront cost, but constant use of these energy-saving machines will not cost as much and will save you dollars in the long run!

There are also water-efficient dishwashers that can save you a tidy sum on your water bill. Since old machines use up to 12 gallons per cycle, saving 3-5 gallons per wash can add up fast.

By investing wisely in these energy-saving appliances, you're not just shaving dollars off your monthly bills but also doing your part to save our environment.

Below are some more tips on how to save energy at home:

Key Takeaways

• Poor energy habits could be costing the average Australian up to $670 per year, according to new research from ING.
  • The most costly energy habits include drying clothes in a dryer instead of in the sun, washing up under hot running water instead of filling the sink, boiling more water than needed, and taking hot showers for more than 10 minutes.
  • One Australian, Kellie, has reduced her energy usage by 30 per cent by making small changes, such as unplugging her dryer and watching television by candlelight.
  • Alan Pears from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology suggests that air fryers are approximately twice as efficient as an oven, which can result in lower energy bills.

Do you have any further tips or advice on how to save energy? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
As quarter bills continue to rise, bill stress levels of Australians are at their highest in four years, and we might be the culprit of these sky-high bills.

View attachment 27531
Bill stress levels of Australians are at their highest in four years. Image source: wayhomestudio on Freepik.

New research from ING revealed the everyday energy habits of Australians are costing more than $15 billion annually. This includes doing laundry, taking hot showers, and even boiling more water than needed.

Matt Bowen, ING Australia’s Head of Daily Banking, said, 'It's clear from the research that poor-energy habits can really add up.'

YQrqgKxXqZuotEhN4sE46xlTt78YPPJxZt20dX44YuUgRmqaerqAE0Z3ugcDv8wwkDjjK1TJ1N3zS2sAnH12iV6Rk10e6ztWKmKbzaGQqEahYRYa3HgxcFD0q8szEyVSJE91aUDOgD36xSP9W9ED3Wo

It might not seem like much at first. But these little costs all add up–not to mention its impact on the environment.

Kellie from Melbourne cut her energy usage by 30 per cent with a few little tweaks–like watching TV by candlelight, unplugging her dryer when not needed, and continuously looking for the best energy deal.

'Once I was accountable for my own electricity usage and bills, I felt a level of responsibility to consider my usage and spend in relation to my personal financial goals,' she said.

Kellie’s not the only one jumping on forward-thinking solutions to drop costs–almost two million other Aussies have chosen to go back to the office instead of working from home to save money, and some 30 per cent have opted for an air fryer over the oven to save on costs.

Senior industry fellow at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Professor Alan Pears, confirmed that air fryers are twice more efficient than an oven. ‘A roast in the oven takes two or three hours, I can put a roast in the air fryer and it's done in an hour,’ Natasha Difegerico, a Queensland mum said.

View attachment 27532
Thirty per cent of Australians have opted to use air fryers over ovens to save on costs. Image source: flickr.

Every appliance comes with two price tags: the purchase price and the operating cost. Over time, the latter can far outweigh the former. This is where energy-efficient appliances come into the mix. Though energy-saving appliances may have a higher upfront cost, they can save you dollars in the long run. They consume significantly less power while delivering the same performance and are environmentally friendly too!

Popular appliances with an energy-saving makeover include fridges, washing machines, dishwashers, and air conditioners. The star of the show? Undoubtedly, it's the LED Light bulb. These little champions use about one-fifth of the electricity that old-school incandescent bulbs do. They even last a whopping 25 times longer!

Then there's the modern version of the humble fridge. Today's energy-efficient fridges use 40% less power than similar models made ten years ago. They make up one of the most significant shares of our power bills, so every tiny saving here is a big win for your wallet.

We haven't forgotten about the laundry! Investing in an energy-star-rated washing machine may have a steep upfront cost, but constant use of these energy-saving machines will not cost as much and will save you dollars in the long run!

There are also water-efficient dishwashers that can save you a tidy sum on your water bill. Since old machines use up to 12 gallons per cycle, saving 3-5 gallons per wash can add up fast.

By investing wisely in these energy-saving appliances, you're not just shaving dollars off your monthly bills but also doing your part to save our environment.

Key Takeaways

• Poor energy habits could be costing the average Australian up to $670 per year, according to new research from ING.
  • The most costly energy habits include drying clothes in a dryer instead of in the sun, washing up under hot running water instead of filling the sink, boiling more water than needed, and taking hot showers for more than 10 minutes.
  • One Australian, Kellie, has reduced her energy usage by 30 per cent by making small changes, such as unplugging her dryer and watching television by candlelight.
  • Alan Pears from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology suggests that air fryers are approximately twice as efficient as an oven, which can result in lower energy bills.

Do you have any further tips or advice on how to save energy? Let us know in the comments below!

I turn my hot water of twice a week ,it stays hot enough for shower,washing up once a day
plus turn of power points at the wall of all appliances not used until morning

Reactions: Ashmenou
1) I don't have a clothes dryer, primarily because I know that I would be using it even when the sun shines
2) The dishwasher is doing the dishes
3) I have retired my kettle and use an instant hot water dispenser from Kmart
4) Showers are done in about 3 to 4 minutes
5) I do use the microwave oven for defrosting all the time, that what it's there for!

Reactions: Kaylee and Ashmenou
I have solar on the roof and that is enough to pay the bills , do not use my dishwasher , the’re only the two of us and use a small dish tub to do the dishes . Boil water to do the dishes , otherwise it takes too long to get the hot water through and then I lose the water through the sink.
I have two 20 L buckets underneath the overflow of the two water tanks and they fill up nearly every day and use that for my garden , if that is not enough I take it from the tanks . Also I have a pond and that is filled fairly well as there is a natural spring in the backyard.
Take short showers . You could also consider shower with a friend , if you have a walk in shower.
Cooking on gas costs $ 24.- a year and I often cook for multiple meals .

1) I don't have a clothes dryer, primarily because I know that I would be using it even when the sun shines
2) The dishwasher is doing the dishes
3) I have retired my kettle and use an instant hot water dispenser from Kmart
4) Showers are done in about 3 to 4 minutes
5) I do use the microwave oven for defrosting all the time, that what it's there for!
Buy a defrosting plate - they last forever - I have had mine for 23 years.

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk

View attachment 27531

View attachment 27532

Key Takeaways

We also cut down on Electricity Usage by using the Suggested Ways from our Members BUT on top of these ideas WE REMOVE THE PLUGS FROM THE POWER POINTS!!

Simply to turn off a light when not needing it. I do it auomatically because of the generation I grew up in.

Reactions: Lolali