Are your pets breaking the bank? Aussies now spend hundreds on their furry friends as living costs skyrocket

As the cost of living continues to rise, we at the Seniors Discount Club are always on the lookout for ways to enjoy life as affordably as possible. Australian pet owners, however, are finding it increasingly challenging to keep up with the expenses that come with caring for their beloved pets, with recent research revealing some staggering numbers.

According to a new Finder survey of 627 participants, Australians are estimated to spend a whopping $2.9 billion on veterinary check-ups for their pets each year. On average, Aussie pet owners have faced an increase in expenses, now spending about $609 per year on pet care, up from $597 last year.

1684380940242.png

If you own a furry companion, you're probably all too familiar with regular check-ups, vaccinations, and the occasional unexpected trip to the vet for various reasons. The survey found that 70% of pet owners visited the vet at least once in the past 12 months. With over half (53%) taking their pets to the vet once or twice, and 17% making three or more visits, it's no wonder the costs add up.

Finder insurance expert Gary Hunter commented on the expenses associated with pet ownership, noting, 'From food, to vet check-ups and grooming, there are plenty of expenses that come with having a furry friend.'

But there is hope. Gary Hunter recommended weighing the pros and cons of pet insurance as a means to safeguard against unexpected expenses. 'It's important to weigh up the pros and cons and decide whether pet insurance is right for you and your pet,' he said.

On average, pet insurance for dogs will set you back $1,524 annually, while cat owners get off a little lighter, averaging around $909 per annum. Pet insurance policies may cover a portion of your vet bills, accidental injuries, and illnesses. With policies varying significantly in price, shopping around for the best deal is essential.

Finder's recent Pet Insurance Awards report revealed a price difference of up to $1,000 between the cheapest and most expensive policies, so it's worth searching for a policy that suits your needs and budget. The Awards evaluated more than 25 policies and 190 features and offered over 700 quotes. In their assessment, Knose Pet Insurance took home the title of Best Pet Insurance - Value, while Petsy Top Cover and PIA Major Medical Cover were highly commended.

For those seeking more comprehensive coverage, Knose Pet Insurance also won the Best Pet Insurance - Comprehensive category, with Petsy Top Cover and RSPCA Ultimate Plus Accident and Illness Cover also receiving high praise.

The Importance of Regular Vet Check-Ups​

Now more than ever, it’s important for pet owners to make sure they’re keeping up with regular check-ups and other medical visits to the vet. Regular vet check-ups not only help keep your pet healthy, but they’re also a great way to detect and diagnose potential health issues early on. In the case of canine or feline illnesses, early detection and preventive measures can help avoid even more serious medical problems further down the line.

In addition to regular check-ups, veterinarians will also provide up-to-date information about treatments and preventive measures that can be taken to protect your pet. Pet owners should also be aware of the potential for zoonotic diseases, which are diseases that can be transmitted from pets to people.

Overall, regular check-ups with a qualified veterinarian should be part of every pet owner’s routine. Doing so ensures that pets remain healthy and happy and can help prevent any major medical issues in the future. Pet insurance is a great way to ensure that pet owners are covered and can manage any pet-related medical treatments and vet check-ups that might arise over the years.

Key Takeaways
  • Aussie pet owners spend $2.9 billion on vet check-ups for their pets each year.
  • Australians spend $609 on average per year on their pets, according to a Finder survey.
  • Pet insurance for dogs costs $1,524 on average, and pet insurance for cats is $909 per year on average.
  • Knose Pet Insurance won the award for Best Pet Insurance in both Value and Comprehensive categories in Finder's Pet Insurance Awards.

In our skyrocketing cost-of-living environment, taking care of our furry friends can indeed seem daunting, especially when it comes to unexpected vet bills. However, just as you might take out health insurance for yourself, investing in pet insurance for your lovable companions is worth considering. Keep them healthy, happy, and wagging their tails while ensuring your pocketbook doesn't end up in the doghouse!

Have any tips for reducing pet ownership costs or some excellent pet insurance stories? Share them with our community in the comments section below. We're in this together, and supporting one another is the best way to tackle life's challenges head-on.

Reactions: Liz, Ezzy and Ricci
Sponsored
I’ve found the trouble with the pet insurance is I can’t just have one insurance for all my pets. I know that’s unreasonable of me to expect it but I have three cats and I need three seperate insurances for each but not all of them will require it. If I had a blanket cover,that covered all of them,maybe with a slightly higher premium,I could maybe go with that,but not three separate insurances. Right now I just have to take my chances that no one gets seriously ill. They get regular checkup and hopefully that helps.

Our dear little missy had cataracts and at the same time got diabetes, she had to have 3 ops and had to have the right eye taken out, because she had ulcers in the eyes, she was so good she let them do any thing to her and never winged, we had to give her so many drops per day and meds, it cost us $12,000 good job I had sold my house and moved into a retirement village and put money aside for a rainy day, it came in very handy, but if she had not got diabetes at the same time, she would have probable healed better, but she was worth it. She is 15 and partly blind in her good eye, but she gets around ok and still loves her walks in the park. Jan Purcell

What price does one put on a family member, which is how our furbabies have felt to us. Four to date & each from a refuge. Each has had its own personality & at times a new pet appears to have learnt habits of a previous baby, which of course they couldn't have. Pet insurance has always been a priority.

Our pets give so much joy & are thoroughly ruined because we are aware their time with us could end any day.

Reactions: Liz and Bindii
My cats have been my children. I wouldn't be without insurance. My last cat (one before the present one) had a stroke and was triaged by my vet out to the big vet hospital but I made the heartbreaking decision to let her go. The big hospital vet was not happy about my decision but she couldn't guarantee my cat would not take another major stroke. My current cat has been diagnosed with asthma (all my animals are rescues). Without pet insurance, I couldn't afford to have my beloved companions. Yes, it keeps me poor but their unconditonal love overcomes everything else.

Reactions: Ezzy