Are your favourite snacks and treats now considered luxuries? Here's why many Australians are dramatically cutting back!

With the cost-of-living crisis continuing unabated, many Aussies are looking for ways to make their weekly budget stretch that bit further – and one way is forgoing snacks and ‘treats’.

A recent survey revealed that some Australians are treating the likes of chocolates, desserts and premium nuts as luxury items now, just as we treat other things like fancy restaurants and overseas vacations.

67-year-old Kerry Moore from Queensland is just one of many people on the lower end of the income scale feeling the pinch. He used to enjoy having breakfast in the morning but says he can no longer afford it and has now resorted to munching on muesli for dinner.

Meanwhile, rather than purchase things like chocolate and takeaway foods, he is now making his own cakes, bread, and frozen chips to save money.

top-view-type-cookie-with-bread-sticks-with-bagels-breadcrumbs_141793-3507.jpg
Snacks and treats are considered by some Aussies as a luxury item now. Image: Freepik.

'I don't have breakfast now. I can't afford that, so I cut that out. I'll have lunch, and then at night-time, I might have some muesli. That's it,' he says.'There are times I've had to go without my medication. I make my own bread. I make my own muesli. When I'm cooking something, I'll buy the cheapest stuff.'

Sarah Connelly, the director of Product of the Year, the company that commissioned the NielsenIQ survey, said this new research reflects a dramatic change in the way we're going about our weekly grocery shopping.

'Whilst snacks and treats were commonplace in the shopping trolley before living expenses started to increase exponentially, these are now classed as luxury items rather than a need, with many shoppers viewing snacks as a low priority when it comes to feeding the family.'

Numerous other money-saving tactics are being employed, however. Many Australians are now using cost-saving techniques, such as switching to home brands, buying cheaper alternatives, cooking more at home, eating leftovers and cutting back on food delivery and takeaway.

delicious-food-arrangement-top-view_23-2149182213.jpg
Some Aussies resort to making the most out of their leftovers. Image: Freepik.

When Kerry goes shopping, he chooses cheaper cuts of meat, switches to cheaper brands, and seeks out the best deals he can find. 'I used to eat steak, but I can't have steak any more,' he says.

'I'll squeeze the mince out of sausages rather than pay the high prices for steak and make my own sausage rolls just to save a few bucks.'

Most Aussies know all too well how quickly the prices of goods and services can rise, so this kind of financial and dietary moderation is an important skill to learn. While you don't need to go to extremes like Mr Moore has, it might be a good time to review your spending habits and make realistic budgeting goals.

Take a look at where your money is going, especially when it comes to small transactions like supermarket snacks, takeaway coffees, and online purchases.

Key Takeaways

• New research reveals half of Australians are treating snacks and indulgences as luxury items and cutting back on purchases due to rising grocery prices.
  • Many Australians are opting for cost-saving tactics like switching to home brands, eating leftovers, and cutting back on takeaways and food delivery.
So, while higher costs may mean the end of impulse purchases for now, most Australians can still afford to treat themselves occasionally without breaking the bank with a bit of creative budgeting. What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts and comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Don't assume that I'm not calm...when one assumes you know what that leads to...don't you?
I will not put up with sugar coated comments of how good this govt is. There are over 120,000 people in our 1st world country living on the streets, in tents, in cars...and you and Trina think that the mob in Canberra is ok? Please, folk NEED to get their heads out of the sand Clanciblue and Trina and observe the economic destruction of our country by the woke left, the intellectually deficient totalitarian communists and the climate pushers...the "Greens"...that live in Canberra supported by all of those who vehemently believe this kind of "codswallop".
When one assumes, what does it lead to?
I'm interested because you have assumed I think the mob in Canberra is ok.I did not say that, I was just saying that you sound aggressive, towards someone who is entitled to an opinion. Trina did not say she thought people in Canberra were ok either.She simply said that she felt it wasn't all one persons fault.
I can hear that you are upset about the issues you raised, as are we all, but don't have to take it out on the other people on the forum.

Last edited:
We are not rich by any means, we live on a disability pension and carers pension but to stay healthy you have to make sure you eat properly, we buy the normal foods, meat, vegetables, bread, toiletries, household cleaning supplies. We also check out the specials and spread what we need for personal hygiene and household cleaning we certainly can't afford to get them all at once. We also check out the catalogues to see what is on special and if we can buy in bulk. We also have pets and when we are able we will buy an extra box of cat food and put it away for Christmas time so we are not paying out as much for our cats. We save and buy the dog and cat biscuits when they are on special so they last several months. For us as I am sure it is for many, it is buying when we really need things or trying to have non perishables accumulate to make certain times of the year easier financially.
I’m with you Lizzylou, it’s cheap to make a good quality soup with lots of veg and soup bones- very healthy and feeds us for 3 days
It’s time consuming but worth it. As I’ve said before I’d rather spend on good food than medications to fix up the deficiency from poor eating.

With the cost-of-living crisis continuing unabated, many Aussies are looking for ways to make their weekly budget stretch that bit further – and one way is forgoing snacks and ‘treats’.

A recent survey revealed that some Australians are treating the likes of chocolates, desserts and premium nuts as luxury items now, just as we treat other things like fancy restaurants and overseas vacations.

67-year-old Kerry Moore from Queensland is just one of many people on the lower end of the income scale feeling the pinch. He used to enjoy having breakfast in the morning but says he can no longer afford it and has now resorted to munching on muesli for dinner.

Meanwhile, rather than purchase things like chocolate and takeaway foods, he is now making his own cakes, bread, and frozen chips to save money.

View attachment 34909
Snacks and treats are considered by some Aussies as a luxury item now. Image: Freepik.

'I don't have breakfast now. I can't afford that, so I cut that out. I'll have lunch, and then at night-time, I might have some muesli. That's it,' he says.'There are times I've had to go without my medication. I make my own bread. I make my own muesli. When I'm cooking something, I'll buy the cheapest stuff.'

Sarah Connelly, the director of Product of the Year, the company that commissioned the NielsenIQ survey, said this new research reflects a dramatic change in the way we're going about our weekly grocery shopping.

'Whilst snacks and treats were commonplace in the shopping trolley before living expenses started to increase exponentially, these are now classed as luxury items rather than a need, with many shoppers viewing snacks as a low priority when it comes to feeding the family.'

Numerous other money-saving tactics are being employed, however. Many Australians are now using cost-saving techniques, such as switching to home brands, buying cheaper alternatives, cooking more at home, eating leftovers and cutting back on food delivery and takeaway.

View attachment 34910
Some Aussies resort to making the most out of their leftovers. Image: Freepik.

When Kerry goes shopping, he chooses cheaper cuts of meat, switches to cheaper brands, and seeks out the best deals he can find. 'I used to eat steak, but I can't have steak any more,' he says.

'I'll squeeze the mince out of sausages rather than pay the high prices for steak and make my own sausage rolls just to save a few bucks.'

Most Aussies know all too well how quickly the prices of goods and services can rise, so this kind of financial and dietary moderation is an important skill to learn. While you don't need to go to extremes like Mr Moore has, it might be a good time to review your spending habits and make realistic budgeting goals.

Take a look at where your money is going, especially when it comes to small transactions like supermarket snacks, takeaway coffees, and online purchases.

Key Takeaways

• New research reveals half of Australians are treating snacks and indulgences as luxury items and cutting back on purchases due to rising grocery prices.
  • Many Australians are opting for cost-saving tactics like switching to home brands, eating leftovers, and cutting back on takeaways and food delivery.
So, while higher costs may mean the end of impulse purchases for now, most Australians can still afford to treat themselves occasionally without breaking the bank with a bit of creative budgeting. What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts and comments below!
It okay that some of us have to miss meals as long as the supermarkets, banks and others continue to make massive profits. No one gives a damn about the little people. Least of all our incompetent Labor Government. When I retired I was comfortable. Not now.

I make my own muesli, and I'm not sure why you think homemade muesli isn't nutritious. Mine contains rolled oats, sultanas, banana chips, raisins, diced apricots, almonds, walnuts, pepitas and sunflower seeds. I put 35 grams in a bowl with 10 grams of chia seeds and some frozen blueberries. I soak it in milk in the fridge overnight, and add a spoonful of stewed apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon in the morning.

I'd be pleased if you could tell me which part of this meal is unhealthy.
Yum yum yum

Reactions: Joydie
I agree in principle with CristinaV, but it's probably not a good idea to express yourself so forcefully when the article isn't directly about politics.

However, I think many Aussies are becoming desperate and frustrated because they're seeing their standard of living disappear. Those who worked for 30 or 40 years, paying tax, are entitled to feel aggrieved in my view. Hubby and I can no longer afford many things we took for granted before the outrageous increase in prices of fuel, electricity and food.
Unfortunately it is political Joydie. All of us in our 60s have worked very hard to have a comfortable retirement - and it ain't happening. Why can't we buy food that we want and have always bought? Why do some people, not only in their 60s or 70's but young families go without a meal?
Australians wanted a change of govt and they got one. But a REALLY bad one.
We need to read behind the lines in these articles. We need to see the truth.

You can lead a horse to water as the saying goes. Some folk just don’t have the oomph to change their habits and even more are unwilling to learn new ways of managing. So many people on this site give excellent help and advice but many people are very resistant to change. As far as I’m concerned if you can read, you can cook. I say again look at old depression era cook books, and look on line if you have internet for the many budget conscious web sites. There are many sites that teach people how to budget, how to cook, how to grow food stuffs and where to go to get financial assistance and food. There is no need to go without. Even a boiled egg and toast for breakfast is not beyond the smallest budget. Get pro active and stop moaning. If you have the use of your body be grateful and become active. There are so many of us who are housebound and disabled and unable to go shopping, cook our own meals or do many household chores. I rarely am able to go out of my home due to ill health. I haven’t seen my friends for nearly four years as I’m no longer able to travel interstate but I thank God for FaceTime.

Don't assume that I'm not calm...when one assumes you know what that leads to...don't you?
I will not put up with sugar coated comments of how good this govt is. There are over 120,000 people in our 1st world country living on the streets, in tents, in cars...and you and Trina think that the mob in Canberra is ok? Please, folk NEED to get their heads out of the sand Clanciblue and Trina and observe the economic destruction of our country by the woke left, the intellectually deficient totalitarian communists and the climate pushers...the "Greens"...that live in Canberra supported by all of those who vehemently believe this kind of "codswallop".
There have been people living on the streets for years, I know because I was once one of them and now I minister to their needs...it has little to do with our current Government, it's been happening throughout Liberal Governments too! Even moreso at times!

We are not rich by any means, we live on a disability pension and carers pension but to stay healthy you have to make sure you eat properly, we buy the normal foods, meat, vegetables, bread, toiletries, household cleaning supplies. We also check out the specials and spread what we need for personal hygiene and household cleaning we certainly can't afford to get them all at once. We also check out the catalogues to see what is on special and if we can buy in bulk. We also have pets and when we are able we will buy an extra box of cat food and put it away for Christmas time so we are not paying out as much for our cats. We save and buy the dog and cat biscuits when they are on special so they last several months. For us as I am sure it is for many, it is buying when we really need things or trying to have non perishables accumulate to make certain times of the year easier financially.
In theory your ideas work well, BUT having been on a Carer's Pension while my husband was alive and on the Age Pension we were able to live frugally but well with budgeting. Since he passed my income has halved but my utilities bills and rates/rent have increased, like everyone else's, I most certainly can't afford to eat as well as I used to as there's little left after the bills are paid. I do tend to make lots of nutritious soups in bulk through the cooler months and freeze them as well as make stews with cheaper cuts of meat for later meals. It's not just about budgeting. Long gone are the days I can afford to buy even a takeaway coffee or meal as a special treat, now it's pay the bills and try to exist on what is left.

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM and bluetang
For pet foods try shopping at a produce merchant. I have 2 German shepherds and the savings at the produce merchants is considerable. Most of the supermarket's specials are junk or washing powder, and who needs that every week? Dishwasher tablets try mixing 1 cup of Bicarb 1/4 cup of citric acid (bakery section) 1 tablsp. dish washing liquid. mix thoroughly press in to icecream moulds let absorb and put into a jar. Have to try and beat the supermarkets!

Reactions: Cyberchook
We live in Australia a first world country with unending resources... f..k the rest of the world. ONLY the incompetence of the kind exhibited by Albo and his mates can continue to disadvantage people and progress them to poverty.
Get it? If not which part of this don't you understand?
It was no better when the other party was in unless of course you're one of the 1% that have the majority of wealth. No matter which party is in control they'll never please us all.

I think it good for those to understand preparing your food works out cheaper and mostly tastier and more satisfying let alone more healthy than all the processed foods people today have come to be hypnotized by, labelled healthy or not. The current average person seems to rely on the many junk food Marketing ploys. Fast foods are detrimental as a lifestyle we all know that. You don't have to have many skills to prepare many recipes either, just make the time.

Reactions: Joydie and DLHM