Are your Christmas traditions ‘bogan’?! – Here's what Aussies deem 'tacky' ahead of the big day

Ah, the season of festive cheer. What better way to celebrate Christmas – and all the festivities that come with it – than to share a few laughs with family, friends and loved ones?

But even though this joyous period of the year rewards us with some well-deserved family time and quality moments, apparently some common traditions are deemed bogan no-nos.

So here are a few things you (apparently) should and shouldn’t do for a classy holiday celebration:

pexels-photo-5778899.jpeg

Some of our Christmas customs are seen as 'bogan' by etiquette guidelines. Credit: Pexels/Nicole Michalou.

FOOD AND BEVERAGE

Serving cheese cubes

Cheese cubes are usually a go-to appetiser throughout the year, but did you know that it is considered to be a bit bogan to serve them during the festive season – particularly in front of the wrong people?

In a poll conducted by Australian Facebook users, many said that people should refrain from serving them during the festivities.

One user wrote: 'Serving cheese in cubes is a big no-no.'

'The fact that this is still appealing to me shows how much I love cheese,' another said.

65605075-11540253-_Serving_cheese_in_cubes_is_a_big_no_no_one_person_posted_on_Fac-a-18_1671165445580.jpg

One person stated on Facebook that serving cheese in cubes is a big no-no and that you should instead creatively present it with deli-bought crackers. Credit: Facebook/Subtle Bogan Traits Xmas.

Serving cut-up pieces of cheese or chorizo shows that the host has 'no attention to detail', according to etiquette expert Julie Lamberg-Burnet of the Sydney School of Protocol.

She also pointed out that the display exhibits a 'lack of sophistication'.

'If you want to be classy, watch what the professionals do,' Julie remarked.

'You could serve a platter with three varieties of cheese in large portions accompanied by the best quality crackers.'

Using beer cans to create a Christmas tree

Decorating a Christmas tree can be a great way to add some fun to the festive season, but doing it with beer or cider cans is a definite no-no - according to many social media users.

One person posted: 'Having a Christmas tree of empty cans is bogan.'

'Oh my, I do this,' another admitted.

So, whether you’re drinking fancy craft beer or VBs, it might be a better idea to make your tree with something a little more festive instead.

Allowing guests to double-dip in sauces

We all know the dangers of double-dipping, but it’s true that many do it anyway - especially during occasions like Christmas when the drinks are flowing. No matter what, double dipping is a big no.

Julie advised: 'Avoid double dipping at all costs.'

'You should also refrain from smearing all of your meals in tomato sauce, which can look bogan.'

So, remember to leave double dipping out of your Christmas celebrations.

pexels-photo-6419729.jpeg

It is considered tacky to double dip. Credit: Pexels/Polina Tankilevitch.

GIFTS

Giving Lynx gift packs

A common mistake people make is gifting toiletries such as Lynx gift packs. This may seem like an easy gift to grab, but do consider getting something a bit more thoughtful.

Neglecting the host

Ignorance in terms of etiquette can always be seen as tacky, so it’s important not to rush opening gifts or ignore the message that’s been attached.

'If you want to be classy, avoid tearing open gift-wrapped parcels in a hurry and ignoring a message card which may be attached,' the etiquette expert said.

Show appreciation for the things you have been given, even if the gift isn’t really your thing.

Additionally, you should always express gratitude and offer a present to your host.

She advised: 'The best things to bring for a host are chocolates, potted plants, a favourite beverage or a candle.'

pexels-photo-5469712.jpeg

You should show your gratitude to the host. Credit: Pexels/Karolina Grabowska.

Not sending a thank you letter to your host

Similarly, you should always write your host a letter of appreciation.

Julie suggested: 'From the event, you have just under two weeks to get it off to them.'

'Neither Christmas thank you letters nor thank you emails should be sent after the twelve days of Christmas, meaning the 6th January is the cut-off.'

'Get into gear and do it.'

HABITS

Keeping decorations up after the festivities

Julie recommends adhering to the ‘age-old tradition’ of the Christmas season and observing Twelfth Night (January 6) as the end of the holidays. Taking Christmas decorations down too early, or leaving them up too late, is also considered to be a no-no.

pexels-photo-712318.jpeg

You should take down your holiday decorations after the festivities. Credit: Pexels/Element5 Digital.

Decorating your car with reindeer antlers

This may be more of a sight gag than a faux pas, but polls on Facebook suggest that putting reindeer antlers on your car at Christmas time is seen as an unbecoming habit.

One user said: 'Putting reindeer antlers on your car at Christmas time is a big no-no.'

'Then forgetting about them til you need to take them off to put the Aussie flags on for Australia Day.'

DECORATIONS

Decorating your home with a white Christmas tree

White Christmas trees are supposed to convey a sense of peace, serenity and purity - but these trees, when covered with too many plastic ornaments, give off a vibe of being cheap, flimsy and overwhelming.

Instead, Julie suggested opting for a more traditional coloured tree and streamlining the decorations with no more than three colours.

pexels-photo-5686476.jpeg

You should stick to 'traditional' trees to keep your home looking simple and classy this holiday season. Credit: Pexels/Helena Bohovyk.

Key Takeaways

• We all have some Christmas habits that are deemed 'bogan' by etiquette standards.
  • It is considered unbecoming to serve cheese cubes and allow guests to double dip when entertaining.
  • It is also not advised to give Lynx gift packs or decorate your car with reindeer antlers during the Christmas season.
  • It is polite to send a letter of appreciation to your host.
  • While white Christmas trees may be eye-catching, too many plastic ornaments will give off an overwhelming and cheap vibe

There you have it, folks! Keep these tips in mind and enjoy a Christmas season full of joy and festivities - sans any bogan holiday acts. But honestly, we’re advoates for doing what makes you happy so we wouldn’t be too concerned about every single etiquette rule. Just have fun!

Are you surprised by some of the habits mentioned in this story? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Don't ever give me chocolates, a potted plant, beverage or a candle. Make the effort to find out what the host likes don't assume people like those things. And don't serve anything in bowls that can be double dipped, people will just do it. Serve the sauces in small bowls that can be individual.

Ah, the season of festive cheer. What better way to celebrate Christmas – and all the festivities that come with it – than to share a few laughs with family, friends and loved ones?

But even though this joyous period of the year rewards us with some well-deserved family time and quality moments, apparently some common traditions are deemed bogan no-nos.

So here are a few things you (apparently) should and shouldn’t do for a classy holiday celebration:

Some of our Christmas customs are seen as 'bogan' by etiquette guidelines. Credit: Pexels/Nicole Michalou.

FOOD AND BEVERAGE

Serving cheese cubes

Cheese cubes are usually a go-to appetiser throughout the year, but did you know that it is considered to be a bit bogan to serve them during the festive season – particularly in front of the wrong people?

In a poll conducted by Australian Facebook users, many said that people should refrain from serving them during the festivities.

'The fact that this is still appealing to me shows how much I love cheese,' another said.

65605075-11540253-_Serving_cheese_in_cubes_is_a_big_no_no_one_person_posted_on_Fac-a-18_1671165445580.jpg

One person stated on Facebook that serving cheese in cubes is a big no-no and that you should instead creatively present it with deli-bought crackers. Credit: Facebook/Subtle Bogan Traits Xmas.

Serving cut-up pieces of cheese or chorizo shows that the host has 'no attention to detail', according to etiquette expert Julie Lamberg-Burnet of the Sydney School of Protocol.

'You could serve a platter with three varieties of cheese in large portions accompanied by the best quality crackers.'

Decorating a Christmas tree can be a great way to add some fun to the festive season, but doing it with beer or cider cans is a definite no-no - according to many social media users.

So, whether you’re drinking fancy craft beer or VBs, it might be a better idea to make your tree with something a little more festive instead.

We all know the dangers of double-dipping, but it’s true that many do it anyway - especially during occasions like Christmas when the drinks are flowing. No matter what, double dipping is a big no.

'You should also refrain from smearing all of your meals in tomato sauce, which can look bogan.'

GIFTS

Giving Lynx gift packs

A common mistake people make is gifting toiletries such as Lynx gift packs. This may seem like an easy gift to grab, but do consider getting something a bit more thoughtful.

Neglecting the host

Ignorance in terms of etiquette can always be seen as tacky, so it’s important not to rush opening gifts or ignore the message that’s been attached.

'If you want to be classy, avoid tearing open gift-wrapped parcels in a hurry and ignoring a message card which may be attached,' the etiquette expert said.

Show appreciation for the things you have been given, even if the gift isn’t really your thing.

Additionally, you should always express gratitude and offer a present to your host.

She advised: 'The best things to bring for a host are chocolates, potted plants, a favourite beverage or a candle.'

Julie suggested: 'From the event, you have just under two weeks to get it off to them.'

'Neither Christmas thank you letters nor thank you emails should be sent after the twelve days of Christmas, meaning the 6th January is the cut-off.'

HABITS

Julie recommends adhering to the ‘age-old tradition’ of the Christmas season and observing Twelfth Night (January 6) as the end of the holidays. Taking Christmas decorations down too early, or leaving them up too late, is also considered to be a no-no.

pexels-photo-712318.jpeg

You should take down your holiday decorations after the festivities. Credit: Pexels/Element5 Digital.

This may be more of a sight gag than a faux pas, but polls on Facebook suggest that putting reindeer antlers on your car at Christmas time is seen as an unbecoming habit.

One user said: 'Putting reindeer antlers on your car at Christmas time is a big no-no.'

'Then forgetting about them til you need to take them off to put the Aussie flags on for Australia Day.'

DECORATIONS

White Christmas trees are supposed to convey a sense of peace, serenity and purity - but these trees, when covered with too many plastic ornaments, give off a vibe of being cheap, flimsy and overwhelming.

Instead, Julie suggested opting for a more traditional coloured tree and streamlining the decorations with no more than three colours.

You should stick to 'traditional' trees to keep your home looking simple and classy this holiday season. Credit: Pexels/Helena Bohovyk.

Key Takeaways

• We all have some Christmas habits that are deemed 'bogan' by etiquette standards.
  • It is considered unbecoming to serve cheese cubes and allow guests to double dip when entertaining.
  • It is also not advised to give Lynx gift packs or decorate your car with reindeer antlers during the Christmas season.
  • While white Christmas trees may be eye-catching, too many plastic ornaments will give off an overwhelming and cheap vibe

There you have it, folks! Keep these tips in mind and enjoy a Christmas season full of joy and festivities - sans any bogan holiday acts. But honestly, we’re advoates for doing what makes you happy so we wouldn’t be too concerned about every single etiquette rule. Just have fun!

Are you surprised by some of the habits mentioned in this story? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Who ever this woman is she doesn't appreciate a true Aussie. I think she is up herself

Wow whoever wrote that sounds more like the Christmas Grinch than the Grinch himself. If I gave my granddaughter chocolates,potted plant,beverage or a candle she would smile and say thank you but I know they aren’t her thing. I am bogan I guess but we do Christmas our way not to please someone’s idea of etiquette. I only have a small tree on a table and it is purple,decorated with crocheted glitter snowflakes,made by my daughter. Bogan to my toenails. Merry Christmas everyone. Do it your way.🎄🎅🏻🤶🏻

Does it really matter what colour the Christmas tree is or how it’s decorated. Serve the food you know your family likes. “IT’S CHRISTMAS”
Have fun, play games, eat what you what and most of all enjoy your family.
If I’m bogan for wanting this, so be it.
Merry Christmas to all, in the seniors discount club.
Thank you for the entertainment you bring to many and thank you for your gift that keeps giving, day after day. You’re members appreciate it.
Stay well, stay safe. 🎄🎅🤶✝️

I buy deodorant throw the years most are different brands that are a bit more in price but if got on special ok and my grandsons look forward to there hamper of the new smells late year one thought he wasn't going to get it as it was his last present to open then he breathed a big sigh and said I was getting worried I wouldn't get it I love that one so everyone likes something different Merry Christmas

FOOD AND BEVERAGE

Serving cheese cubes

GIFTS

Giving Lynx gift packs

Neglecting the host

HABITS

pexels-photo-712318.jpeg

DECORATIONS

Key Takeaways

the only thing "BOGAN" is the "etiquette" person.... Who the hell does she think she is... More like she thinks she is better than others, well not in my book, If anyone thinks they are better than anyone else (no matter the reason) then it makes them lower than cockroach droppings.... We are all equal no matter where we were born, the colour of our skin, our political or religious beliefs or in this stupid day and age what "sex" you may think you are....

FOOD AND BEVERAGE

Serving cheese cubes

GIFTS

Giving Lynx gift packs

Neglecting the host

HABITS

pexels-photo-712318.jpeg

DECORATIONS

Key Takeaways

Do whatever makes you happy, people. Do show gratitude though.

FOOD AND BEVERAGE

Serving cheese cubes

GIFTS

Giving Lynx gift packs

Neglecting the host

HABITS

DECORATIONS

Key Takeaways

We all have some Christmas habits that are deemed 'bogan' by etiquette standards.
It is considered unbecoming to serve cheese cubes and allow guests to double dip when entertaining.
It is also not advised to give Lynx gift packs or decorate your car with reindeer antlers during the Christmas season.
It is polite to send a letter of appreciation to your host.
While white Christmas trees may be eye-catching, too many plastic ornaments will give off an overwhelming and cheap vibe

I just want to share a little piece of history about Xmas trees and Xmas.

The Christmas tree is a 17th-century German invention, but it clearly derives from the pagan practice of bringing greenery indoors to decorate in midwinter. The modern Santa Claus is a direct descendent of England's Father Christmas, who was not originally a gift-giver. However, Father Christmas and his other European variations are modern incarnations of old pagan ideas about spirits who traveled the sky in midwinter.
Pagans would bring fir trees into their homes at Yuletide because it represented everlasting life and fertility. The Yule tree is decorated with lights, candles, and other festive ornaments to celebrate the return of light after dark days.

I don't celebrate Xmas I used to until I realised it's a time for shops to make alot of money and the roots of Xmas are not biblical based

I don't like the pressure put on people to buy gifts
I don't like how we are supposed to be celebrating the birth of Jesus yet he is hardly mentioned anymore.
I hear all the time of family arguments on Xmas sat and people getting drunk

As a Christian I know December is not the month Jesus was born...hang on I haven't even heard his name as yet.
It is know he was born on a night with stars shining bright in a stable and the night was warm not hot. This would indicate his birth would have been around May.

Before Xmas it was celebrated with Saturnalia, held in mid-December, is an ancient Roman pagan festival honoring the agricultural god Saturn. Because of when the holiday occurred—near the winter solstice—Saturnalia celebrations are the source of many of the traditions we now associate with Christmas, such as wreaths, candles, feasting and gift-giving
For one week people were allowed to commit crimes eg murder, steal, rape ect and not be arrested.
When you gather around the Christmas tree or stuff goodies into a stocking, you're taking part in traditions that stretch back thousands of years — long before Christianity entered the mix.

Pagan, or non-Christian, traditions show up in this beloved holiday season, a consequence of early church leaders melding Jesus' nativity celebration with pre-existing midwinter festivals. Since then, Christmas traditions have warped over time, arriving at their current state a little more than a century ago.

Don't believe me research and you will see.

There is absolutely nothing mentioned in the bible about celebrating Xmas, infact it tells us not to worship anything on the earth , below the earth or above the earth as I'm a jealous God. Hmm In the beginning people worshipped Xmas trees.

We’ve had a bit of a rough year - so not doing the tree or decorating. Will enjoy a quiet Christmas dinner ( may include a bogan snack or 2) and count our blessings🙏🏻
Wishing the team at SDC a happy time, any way they choose to spend it snd thanks for what you do, even though some of the (TickTock speak really annoys me)
Everyone else enjoy your beer can Christmas tree if that’s what you love and have a safe and restoring holiday break - you deserve it!!🎄🎅🏼🎄🎁🎂

Now for the food.
Who is this lady to say what you should and shouldn't do.
Why would you serve cheeses like Brie if you know people would rather cube cheese.

I did something I haven't done for years and that was I made a tray of jatz biscuits with cheese, tomato and cheese with gherkins and everyone went crazy over them.

It brought back memories of cocktail frankfurts with bacon wrapped around them and another thing my nan made was Devon with mashed potato inside.
If all these things are bogan then I guess I'm bogan
I'm guessing things changed when we became a multicultural society

Wonder what she would think of Vegemite and cheese sandwich 🥪 🤔

The only thing I agree with her is the double dipping but wouldn't everyone know not to double dip

How can anyone criticize other peoples traditions each to their own no one has a right to criticize, they're probably the same people who wouldn't have anyone tell them what to do

Reactions: Ricci

FOOD AND BEVERAGE

Serving cheese cubes

GIFTS

Giving Lynx gift packs

Neglecting the host

HABITS

pexels-photo-712318.jpeg

DECORATIONS

Key Takeaways

Etiquette standards are, after all, one person's opinion to try to convince others to live by their standards. What's wrong with everyone doing what they are comfortable with and can afford?

I just want to share a little piece of history about Xmas trees and Xmas.

The Christmas tree is a 17th-century German invention, but it clearly derives from the pagan practice of bringing greenery indoors to decorate in midwinter. The modern Santa Claus is a direct descendent of England's Father Christmas, who was not originally a gift-giver. However, Father Christmas and his other European variations are modern incarnations of old pagan ideas about spirits who traveled the sky in midwinter.
Pagans would bring fir trees into their homes at Yuletide because it represented everlasting life and fertility. The Yule tree is decorated with lights, candles, and other festive ornaments to celebrate the return of light after dark days.

I don't celebrate Xmas I used to until I realised it's a time for shops to make alot of money and the roots of Xmas are not biblical based

I don't like the pressure put on people to buy gifts
I don't like how we are supposed to be celebrating the birth of Jesus yet he is hardly mentioned anymore.
I hear all the time of family arguments on Xmas sat and people getting drunk

As a Christian I know December is not the month Jesus was born...hang on I haven't even heard his name as yet.
It is know he was born on a night with stars shining bright in a stable and the night was warm not hot. This would indicate his birth would have been around May.

Before Xmas it was celebrated with Saturnalia, held in mid-December, is an ancient Roman pagan festival honoring the agricultural god Saturn. Because of when the holiday occurred—near the winter solstice—Saturnalia celebrations are the source of many of the traditions we now associate with Christmas, such as wreaths, candles, feasting and gift-giving
For one week people were allowed to commit crimes eg murder, steal, rape ect and not be arrested.
When you gather around the Christmas tree or stuff goodies into a stocking, you're taking part in traditions that stretch back thousands of years — long before Christianity entered the mix.

Pagan, or non-Christian, traditions show up in this beloved holiday season, a consequence of early church leaders melding Jesus' nativity celebration with pre-existing midwinter festivals. Since then, Christmas traditions have warped over time, arriving at their current state a little more than a century ago.

Don't believe me research and you will see.

There is absolutely nothing mentioned in the bible about celebrating Xmas, infact it tells us not to worship anything on the earth , below the earth or above the earth as I'm a jealous God. Hmm In the beginning people worshipped Xmas trees.
I go along with a lot of what you say but with one exception. I had always been told that Jesus was born in either September or October. I've just found this quote:
Given all of this Scriptural data being backed by historical evidence, we can reasonably confidently say Jesus was born in the middle of September in the year 3 B.C.
This date was calculated by taking different statements in the Bible, that there was a census, Herod was King, shepherds were in the fields with their flocks etc. Then the historians plotted the possible and probable timeline. :)