Are you vulnerable to this dangerous text scam? Find out how one Sydney mum's $8900 nightmare was prevented

If there’s one thing you should never forget when it comes to the internet, it’s that you should always remain vigilant. That’s even more true today as cybercriminals are growing more and more sophisticated, often disguising themselves as family members to get access to our sensitive information.

Recently, one Sydney mum almost fell victim to a dangerous scam that’s been doing the rounds, where fraudsters impersonate family members in the hope of getting money.

64-year-old Lisa (not her real name), who wishes to remain anonymous, was moments away from transferring $5000 to a scammer posing as her son before a moment of quick thinking saved her from becoming the next victim of this ‘Hi Mum’ scam.

It began with a seemingly innocent text from her son.

‘Hi, mum. I have got a new phone and number. You can delete my old one. Can you let me know if you received this message?’ it read.

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 3.25.14 pm.png
The 'Hi Mum' scam has been doing the rounds lately. Don't get caught out! Source: News.com.au / Supplied

Once Lisa asked which of her two sons was texting her, the hacker had a name and claimed to be her eldest son, Tim. In the following texts, the scammer claimed to be ‘stressed out’. After Lisa tried to comfort her son, they said they were having banking issues before asking to borrow $8900.

‘I hadn’t heard from Tim in a while. He had recently bought a home and was moving house. He was trying to get their kids into new schools, so when this text came out of the blue, I thought it was a bit odd but I really wanted to help him,’ Lisa told NCA NewsWire.

Although the request was out of character, Lisa assumed her son was reaching out as a ‘last resort’.

Lisa was about to hit send when she had second thoughts and asked for the name of Tim’s maternal grandfather. ‘It was just a little voice that thought, ‘Is that really him’?’ she said.

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 3.27.05 pm.png
Don't be afraid to ask questions to make sure you're talking to someone authentic. Source: News.com.au / Supplied

After Lisa asked the question, the hacker went notably silent. That’s when she realised that the text was not from her son at all.

‘I felt really bad asking him the first time. I could feel myself cringing. When he didn’t answer it the first time, I thought something is going on because that should just roll off the tongue,’ she said.

While Lisa was able to narrowly avoid the deception, many aren’t so fortunate. According to an ACCC report, Australians lost a staggering $1.8 billion to scams in 2021. The report, which is based on an analysis of more than 560,000 reports and data from Scamwatch, ReportCyber, major banks and money remitters, and other government agencies, estimates that actual losses were much higher than the amount reported.

A Scamwatch spokesperson went on to report that the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) had received more than 9700 reports of ‘“Hi Mum’” scams in 2022, totalling losses of nearly $7.2 million.

Worse yet, a new variant of the scam now includes cyber criminals who use an alpha-tag/ senderID (where the message will appear as if it’s been sent from your ‘Mum’ or ‘Dad’). This makes the scam even more difficult to spot, as the message appears to be from a genuine family member.

But that’s not the only scam going around.

Overall, investment scams were the leading cause of financial losses ($701 million), followed by payment redirection scams ($227 million) and romance scams ($142 million).

‘Scam activity continues to rise, and [in 2021] a record number of Australians lost a record amount of money,’ ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said. ‘Scammers are the most opportunistic of all criminals: they exploit natural disasters, pandemics, and the search for love.’

Ms Rickard also noted that scams cause serious emotional harm to individuals, families, and businesses in addition to financial losses.

Women reported the most scams, but men lost more money than women, and men's losses to investment scams were double women's losses. People aged 65 and over reported the highest losses and reported losses steadily increased with age.

Scamwatch data also shows that people experiencing vulnerability and hardship reported record levels of losses in 2021. People with disabilities reported twice as many scams and a 102% increase in financial losses to $19.6 million. Indigenous Australians reported 43% more scams and 142% more losses, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities reported an 88% increase in losses.

The ACCC has been working with government agencies, domestic and international law enforcement, and major banks and telecommunications providers to share intelligence, disrupt scams, and raise awareness in the community. This effort led to the Flubot scam being stopped, and the telecommunications sector's Reducing Scam Calls Industry Code blocking more than 357 million scam calls.

Scamwatch data also shows that between 2020 and 2021 there was a 60% reduction in losses from inheritance and unexpected money scams, and only a 1% increase in losses from travel, prizes and lottery scams. However, Ms Rickard noted that there are still gaps in the system that scammers can exploit - losses from investment scams increased by 169% during the same period.

‘If an investment opportunity seems too good to be true, we urge all Australians to not go anywhere near it,’ Ms Rickard said.

Lisa’s story is the perfect reminder to stay on top of security when it comes to sensitive information, whether it’s via the internet or text. If you ever feel that you are the victim of a scam, don’t hesitate to call your local authorities for help, and never be afraid to ask for verification before giving out any information.

Regional Australia Bank recommends the following tips to avoid falling for the ‘Hi Mum’ scam.
  • Be suspicious when it comes to unexpected messages or requests for money—even if they appear to come from someone you know and trust
  • Contact the family member directly using an alternative method, such as their known phone or email, to validate their request before taking any action
  • Always ask questions about who they are before giving out any personal information or sending any funds
  • Be sceptical if there is pressure for an immediate response
  • Never give out bank account information or credit card numbers over the phone
  • Verify the story with other family members before responding
  • If you think something is wrong, trust your instincts—don't send any money!
Have you or anyone you know ever been the victim of a scam? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Yes, I received the same scam as a SMS message. I thought it was my youngest son by giving the scammer two names. I almost hit the send money button but had a second thought also. I used my son’s old phone no to ask him if he knew that person for the money transfer. Of course everything was clear after that!

If there’s one thing you should never forget when it comes to the internet, it’s that you should always remain vigilant. That’s even more true today as cybercriminals are growing more and more sophisticated, often disguising themselves as family members to get access to our sensitive information.

Recently, one Sydney mum almost fell victim to a dangerous scam that’s been doing the rounds, where fraudsters impersonate family members in the hope of getting money.

64-year-old Lisa (not her real name), who wishes to remain anonymous, was moments away from transferring $5000 to a scammer posing as her son before a moment of quick thinking saved her from becoming the next victim of this ‘Hi Mum’ scam.

‘Hi, mum. I have got a new phone and number. You can delete my old one. Can you let me know if you received this message?’ it read.

View attachment 12096
The 'Hi Mum' scam has been doing the rounds lately. Don't get caught out! Source: News.com.au / Supplied

Once Lisa asked which of her two sons was texting her, the hacker had a name and claimed to be her eldest son, Tim. In the following texts, the scammer claimed to be ‘stressed out’. After Lisa tried to comfort her son, they said they were having banking issues before asking to borrow $8900.

‘I hadn’t heard from Tim in a while. He had recently bought a home and was moving house. He was trying to get their kids into new schools, so when this text came out of the blue, I thought it was a bit odd but I really wanted to help him,’ Lisa told NCA NewsWire.

Although the request was out of character, Lisa assumed her son was reaching out as a ‘last resort’.

Lisa was about to hit send when she had second thoughts and asked for the name of Tim’s maternal grandfather. ‘It was just a little voice that thought, ‘Is that really him’?’ she said.

View attachment 12097
Don't be afraid to ask questions to make sure you're talking to someone authentic. Source: News.com.au / Supplied

After Lisa asked the question, the hacker went notably silent. That’s when she realised that the text was not from her son at all.

‘I felt really bad asking him the first time. I could feel myself cringing. When he didn’t answer it the first time, I thought something is going on because that should just roll off the tongue,’ she said.

While Lisa was able to narrowly avoid the deception, many aren’t so fortunate. According to an ACCC report, Australians lost a staggering $1.8 billion to scams in 2021. The report, which is based on an analysis of more than 560,000 reports and data from Scamwatch, ReportCyber, major banks and money remitters, and other government agencies, estimates that actual losses were much higher than the amount reported.

A Scamwatch spokesperson went on to report that the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) had received more than 9700 reports of ‘“Hi Mum’” scams in 2022, totalling losses of nearly $7.2 million.

Worse yet, a new variant of the scam now includes cyber criminals who use an alpha-tag/ senderID (where the message will appear as if it’s been sent from your ‘Mum’ or ‘Dad’). This makes the scam even more difficult to spot, as the message appears to be from a genuine family member.

Overall, investment scams were the leading cause of financial losses ($701 million), followed by payment redirection scams ($227 million) and romance scams ($142 million).

‘Scam activity continues to rise, and [in 2021] a record number of Australians lost a record amount of money,’ ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said. ‘Scammers are the most opportunistic of all criminals: they exploit natural disasters, pandemics, and the search for love.’

Ms Rickard also noted that scams cause serious emotional harm to individuals, families, and businesses in addition to financial losses.

Women reported the most scams, but men lost more money than women, and men's losses to investment scams were double women's losses. People aged 65 and over reported the highest losses and reported losses steadily increased with age.

Scamwatch data also shows that people experiencing vulnerability and hardship reported record levels of losses in 2021. People with disabilities reported twice as many scams and a 102% increase in financial losses to $19.6 million. Indigenous Australians reported 43% more scams and 142% more losses, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities reported an 88% increase in losses.

The ACCC has been working with government agencies, domestic and international law enforcement, and major banks and telecommunications providers to share intelligence, disrupt scams, and raise awareness in the community. This effort led to the Flubot scam being stopped, and the telecommunications sector's Reducing Scam Calls Industry Code blocking more than 357 million scam calls.

Scamwatch data also shows that between 2020 and 2021 there was a 60% reduction in losses from inheritance and unexpected money scams, and only a 1% increase in losses from travel, prizes and lottery scams. However, Ms Rickard noted that there are still gaps in the system that scammers can exploit - losses from investment scams increased by 169% during the same period.

‘If an investment opportunity seems too good to be true, we urge all Australians to not go anywhere near it,’ Ms Rickard said.

Lisa’s story is the perfect reminder to stay on top of security when it comes to sensitive information, whether it’s via the internet or text. If you ever feel that you are the victim of a scam, don’t hesitate to call your local authorities for help, and never be afraid to ask for verification before giving out any information.

Regional Australia Bank recommends the following tips to avoid falling for the ‘Hi Mum’ scam.
  • Be suspicious when it comes to unexpected messages or requests for money—even if they appear to come from someone you know and trust
  • Contact the family member directly using an alternative method, such as their known phone or email, to validate their request before taking any action
  • Always ask questions about who they are before giving out any personal information or sending any funds
Have you or anyone you know ever been the victim of a scam? Let us know in the comments below.
The easiest way is to immediately phone your son/daughter on their original phone no and see if their phone is working. I never transfer money to anyone before phoning the on the number I have looked up, and confirmed all details are correct. I have done that for several years and haven't had any problems.

I've had this a few times but always through what's app the first time when I asked which one of my children this was they replied your eldest and favourite of course. Now my eldest is the only one who borrows money and changes her number alot
I became a little suspicious by the wording so I asked oh its you Robert they replied of course mum, my eldest is a girl and Melissa. I would never transfer unless I spoke to them first.

I clicked on the report button which automatically blocks them

View attachment 12096

View attachment 12097

A friend was caught by the Hi Mum. Mums can panic and just want to help a child. Something else you need to be aware of. Always check a new unknown site. Just google is this a suspicious site. Once you tell people that one disappears for a bit. If you can pay pal refunds. I had one for a faulty product.

The easiest way is to immediately phone your son/daughter on their original phone no and see if their phone is working. I never transfer money to anyone before phoning the on the number I have looked up, and confirmed all details are correct. I have done that for several years and haven't had any problems.
When I was faced with a Hey Mum text, I messaged my daughter using a different (free) app, thinking she’d have already switched to that on her new phone, and wanting to know details. “How did you lose your phone?” I asked. She shot back, “What?!?!?” And all was revealed. I hadn’t heard of the scam before then, so very glad I was curious!

View attachment 12096

View attachment 12097

Yes, someone tried and almost succeeded. That little thought in the back of my mind saved me, luckily.

I had that sent about 3 weeks ago to me but my kid would have called and said they had a new number that would be in there own time so I new it was a scam

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

View attachment 12096

View attachment 12097

This is call, not text, scam related, but we need to be vigilant at all times.

I get several calls each week from call centres, probably located off-shore - but many of these scammers have Australian phone numbers, which are easily purchased.

I always ask the caller for their EMPLOYEE NUMBER. Telstra staff and other genuine callers [bank staff, etc] will provide this. The caller is usually so surprised, they quickly hang up. However, last week a chap gave me 'his' employee number , which I wrote down. I asked him to repeat it "as the line is bad" [it wasn’t!] and he hung up.

For those [purporting] to be calling from NBN Co/ Microsoft and Tech companies, I tell them "My son works in IT and there is nothing wrong with my internet/ computer!" as the case may be. They hang up fast too.

If I'm in hurry and it is the second or more scam call that day, I interrupt them and, in an exasperated tone say: "For goodness sake!! Does your mother know you work there!'" They hang up fast too!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: JustPat and Ricci
Well I got a newy last week on the phone which went to the answering machine but message was too long to record full message but they said they were from Synergy (our energy provider) and to press 1 on a certain number and I got this message twice within an hour. So I decided to call Synergy on the number on their bill and they confirmed my gut feeling it was a scam was correct as there was no one recorded there trying to ring me and they do not do pre-recorded messages.

Reactions: Ricci
Late last year I had that text message, knew it was a scam because I don't have kids! Felt like stringing the
sender along, deleted it instead.
You should have strung them along, just to upset them and have a little fun on the way at their expense. Serve them right.

I had one just yesterday, I knew it was a bit suss as it was addressed to Mumm/dadd! I too was tempted to string them along but in the end just deleted and reported it. :(
We had this message through what's app a few months ago. I actually posted it up here. We had a laugh at stringing them along but apparently it's the worst thing to do as they then know you are a real person , they wait for the reply.