Are you unknowingly breaking the law? Find out the little-known driving violations that could get you fined for as high as $533!

We’re all used to the usual road rules like not using a phone while driving, adhering to the speed limit, and avoiding driving under the influence, but the slew of unusual road laws that are on the books is a lot longer than most of us realise.

Even if you’re incredibly conscientious about the way you drive, you may be surprised to know that there are a few hidden laws out there that many of us infringe without intending to - and the consequences of doing so could be pretty costly.

Given that many Australians are planning on road trips this summer season, we here at the Seniors Discount Club thought it was a good time to refresh our memories on the less well-known road rules and laws we should be aware of.

Knowing them inside and out could mean the difference between a pleasant and safe drive, and an expensive breach of the law.

Here are the top 10 lesser-known road laws you might not be aware of:

pexels-photo-8631554.jpeg

Don’t get caught out this summer. Breaking these little-known road rules could result in a heavy fine. Credit: Pexels/Kampus Production.

1. Hurling apple cores out of a moving vehicle (Fine: $533 and two demerit points)

You may have thought that throwing a banana skin or apple core out of your car window was an innocent act of biodegradable littering, but think again; drivers in QLD could cop a hefty $533 fine and two demerit points for dropping 'injurious matter on a road'.

2. Waving goodbye and tooting your horn (Fine: $698 and three demerit points.)

If you're in NSW, giving a friendly beep on the horn when you leave someone can land you in trouble with the law.

Unnecessary use of the horn or warning device as a friendly farewell can incur a $349 fine by itself, while throwing in a wave alongside the beep can double that fine to a total of $698 and three points.

3. Paying at a drive-through with your phone (Fine: $534 and five demerit points)

The dangers of using a mobile phone in a vehicle are well-known, but using your phone to pay for your meal at a drive-through is an act not many people are aware of.

Depending on the state, you could be liable for a $534 fine and could also cop five demerit points for doing it.

To avoid the fine, members, you should switch your engine off and have your handbrake on before using your mobile phone to pay for your meal.

pexels-photo-9846111.jpeg

If an Australian driver uses their phone to pay at a drive-through, they risk receiving a fine of up to $534 and incurring five demerit points. Credit: Pexels/Erik Mclean.

4. Cutting through a service station (Fine: $349 and three demerit points)

In a hurry to get to your destination and stuck in traffic or at a red light? Don't consider cutting through a service station as a shortcut!

It falls under the 'drive on or over footpath' road rule, and can cost you a hefty $349 fine and three demerit points.

5. Splashing water at pedestrians (Fine: $187)

Be careful when passing a puddle that's in the vicinity of a pedestrian; you could be fined if said pedestrian gets splashed.

In NSW, this much-ridiculed rule isn't limited to just pedestrians who are walking by the side of the road – it applies to those who are waiting for a bus too. Pity the poor passengers who can't get to the sheltered side of the bus stop!

Penalty points aren’t applicable, but you’ll definitely still feel the sting of the fine hitting your wallet.

6. Accelerating when you're being overtaken (Fine: $344 and two demerit points)

We all know the feeling of frustration that can come with being next to an aggressive over-taker. But don't take the bait and speed up!

If you do, you could face a $344 fine and two demerit points for such behaviour in NSW, or $330 and two demerit points if you're in Victoria.

7. Flashing lights to alert people about speed cameras or RBT (Fine: $116 and one demerit point)

Although it's appreciated by many drivers, flashing your lights to warn others of police presence is a punishable offence – one that lands you a $116 ticket and one demerit point.

Previously, the rule referred to using high beams in a built-up area, but now covers 'use of high beams towards oncoming vehicles'.

In NSW, drivers should be wary of this law regardless of whether they're in fog or inclement weather.

8. Driving through a school zone's nature strip (Fine: $464 fine and four demerit points)

If you happen to be in a school zone, do not mount any kerb or median strip – no matter how difficult it is to find a spot to park.

Not only will you be putting yourself and other vehicles in danger, but you may also face a hefty $464 fine and four points for such behaviour.

9. Not giving way to horses (Fine: $130)

Although horses are no longer a frequent sight on the road, it's still a good rule of thumb to give way to horses on the rare occasions you encounter one.

If a rider signals at you to indicate the horse is being stubborn and won't move, you must move to the left, turn off your engine, and wait. Fail to do so, and you might face a $130 fine in Queensland.

10. Not taking your key out of the ignition (Fine: $114)

No matter how much of a hurry you’re in, NEVER leave your car key in the ignition or unattended. Doing so could put you at risk of car theft or worse - a $114 fine in NSW.

Key Takeaways

• Drivers in Queensland and NSW should be aware of roadside laws that could result in hefty fines and demerit points.
  • Specific issues drivers should take into consideration are throwing injurious objects out of the car window, 'unnecessary use' of vehicle horns or warning devices, using a mobile phone while in a drive-through lane, cutting through a service station, splashing pedestrians, speeding up while being overtaken, flashing headlights to warn others of speed cameras or random breath tests, driving over nature strips in school zones, not giving way to horses, and leaving keys in the ignition.
  • The fines range from $116 to $533 for these seemingly minor offences.

Members, if you discovered that you’ve been breaking any of these rules in the past, don’t worry! The point, of course, is to be mindful of laws that may not be so well-known. Pay attention to road signs, look out for the odd rule, and you won’t need to worry about getting stung with a hefty fine.

It’s also important to remember that these rules and penalties may vary from state to state, so always make sure you are aware of the laws and road regulations of the states you may be travelling.

Folks, have you subconsciously broken any of these road rules recently? Let us know in the comments below - and please, be sure to share this article with your friends and family. Together, we can help keep our community safe on the roads!

Sponsored
I definitely didn't know the drive through rule although I don't use my phone for payment my kids do and I have seen it used through drive through.

Splashing water on someone , this seems a bit ridiculous especially with the heavy rain we have had.

What I want to know is does the person you splash accidentally get the money 💰 🤔
I feel driving and avoiding large puddles could actually cause a serious accident

I can say that I’ve been guilty of waving and tooting as I leave a friend, and warning oncoming drivers of a stationary speed radar. Those who pay with their phone at a drive-through might be surprised to know they’re breaking the law, although it makes sense since you’re not allowed to touch your phone when driving.

We’re all used to the usual road rules like not using a phone while driving, adhering to the speed limit, and avoiding driving under the influence, but the slew of unusual road laws that are on the books is a lot longer than most of us realise.

Even if you’re incredibly conscientious about the way you drive, you may be surprised to know that there are a few hidden laws out there that many of us infringe without intending to - and the consequences of doing so could be pretty costly.

Given that many Australians are planning on road trips this summer season, we here at the Seniors Discount Club thought it was a good time to refresh our memories on the less well-known road rules and laws we should be aware of.

Knowing them inside and out could mean the difference between a pleasant and safe drive, and an expensive breach of the law.

Don’t get caught out this summer. Breaking these little-known road rules could result in a heavy fine. Credit: Pexels/Kampus Production.

1. Hurling apple cores out of a moving vehicle (Fine: $533 and two demerit points)

You may have thought that throwing a banana skin or apple core out of your car window was an innocent act of biodegradable littering, but think again; drivers in QLD could cop a hefty $533 fine and two demerit points for dropping 'injurious matter on a road'.

If you're in NSW, giving a friendly beep on the horn when you leave someone can land you in trouble with the law.

Unnecessary use of the horn or warning device as a friendly farewell can incur a $349 fine by itself, while throwing in a wave alongside the beep can double that fine to a total of $698 and three points.

3. Paying at a drive-through with your phone (Fine: $534 and five demerit points)

The dangers of using a mobile phone in a vehicle are well-known, but using your phone to pay for your meal at a drive-through is an act not many people are aware of.

Depending on the state, you could be liable for a $534 fine and could also cop five demerit points for doing it.

To avoid the fine, members, you should switch your engine off and have your handbrake on before using your mobile phone to pay for your meal.

If an Australian driver uses their phone to pay at a drive-through, they risk receiving a fine of up to $534 and incurring five demerit points. Credit: Pexels/Erik Mclean.

In a hurry to get to your destination and stuck in traffic or at a red light? Don't consider cutting through a service station as a shortcut!

It falls under the 'drive on or over footpath' road rule, and can cost you a hefty $349 fine and three demerit points.

Be careful when passing a puddle that's in the vicinity of a pedestrian; you could be fined if said pedestrian gets splashed.

In NSW, this much-ridiculed rule isn't limited to just pedestrians who are walking by the side of the road – it applies to those who are waiting for a bus too. Pity the poor passengers who can't get to the sheltered side of the bus stop!

Penalty points aren’t applicable, but you’ll definitely still feel the sting of the fine hitting your wallet.

We all know the feeling of frustration that can come with being next to an aggressive over-taker. But don't take the bait and speed up!

If you do, you could face a $344 fine and two demerit points for such behaviour in NSW, or $330 and two demerit points if you're in Victoria.

7. Flashing lights to alert people about speed cameras or RBT (Fine: $116 and one demerit point)

Although it's appreciated by many drivers, flashing your lights to warn others of police presence is a punishable offence – one that lands you a $116 ticket and one demerit point.

Previously, the rule referred to using high beams in a built-up area, but now covers 'use of high beams towards oncoming vehicles'.

In NSW, drivers should be wary of this law regardless of whether they're in fog or inclement weather.

8. Driving through a school zone's nature strip (Fine: $464 fine and four demerit points)

If you happen to be in a school zone, do not mount any kerb or median strip – no matter how difficult it is to find a spot to park.

Not only will you be putting yourself and other vehicles in danger, but you may also face a hefty $464 fine and four points for such behaviour.

Although horses are no longer a frequent sight on the road, it's still a good rule of thumb to give way to horses on the rare occasions you encounter one.

If a rider signals at you to indicate the horse is being stubborn and won't move, you must move to the left, turn off your engine, and wait. Fail to do so, and you might face a $130 fine in Queensland.

No matter how much of a hurry you’re in, NEVER leave your car key in the ignition or unattended. Doing so could put you at risk of car theft or worse - a $114 fine in NSW.

Key Takeaways

• Drivers in Queensland and NSW should be aware of roadside laws that could result in hefty fines and demerit points.
  • Specific issues drivers should take into consideration are throwing injurious objects out of the car window, 'unnecessary use' of vehicle horns or warning devices, using a mobile phone while in a drive-through lane, cutting through a service station, splashing pedestrians, speeding up while being overtaken, flashing headlights to warn others of speed cameras or random breath tests, driving over nature strips in school zones, not giving way to horses, and leaving keys in the ignition.

Members, if you discovered that you’ve been breaking any of these rules in the past, don’t worry! The point, of course, is to be mindful of laws that may not be so well-known. Pay attention to road signs, look out for the odd rule, and you won’t need to worry about getting stung with a hefty fine.

It’s also important to remember that these rules and penalties may vary from state to state, so always make sure you are aware of the laws and road regulations of the states you may be travelling.

Folks, have you subconsciously broken any of these road rules recently? Let us know in the comments below - and please, be sure to share this article with your friends and family. Together, we can help keep our community safe on the roads!
There is a simle fix. Rule drivers/riders must ensure they know the road rules. Ask ourselves, when was the last time we read the Road Laws handbook? I purchased one 12 months ago, cost me $15 (QLD free to read it online). I must confess, I didn't know 2 of the laws published here, but it does make sense.

I definitely didn't know the drive through rule although I don't use my phone for payment my kids do and I have seen it used through drive through.

Splashing water on someone , this seems a bit ridiculous especially with the heavy rain we have had.

What I want to know is does the person you splash accidentally get the money 💰 🤔
I feel driving and avoiding large puddles could actually cause a serious accident
Splashing someone in the UK has always been an offence, no matter how wet t gets here in Australia it's common decency to slow down to avoid splashing with no risk of accident involved.

Just about time for a law update or two. I have a pair of hearing aids (Bluetooth) which with the aid of a necklace also (Bluetooth) links to my mobile phone. An incoming call can be answered by pressing a lathe button on the necklace. And similarly press to end a call. The mobile phone could be in the car boot but I keep mine in my shirt pocket.

My Prado LandCruiser allows voice dialing therefore no need to touch my mobile phone to dial. Also phone calls can be answered and hung up by buttons on the steering wheel. Again no need to touch my mobile phone.

Messages display on the large screen and can be read out by the software by pressing the “read” button the screen.

As for splashing pedestrians during wet weather then maybe the local government should be forced to install better drainage near bus stops and take a More active roll in removing pot holes from our roads which holds the water which could splash unfortunate pedestrians. It is impossible to tell how deep a pot hole is as you approach when it is full of water especially at night or in low light. Better road maintenance and better drainage is the only answer To this problem.

And lastly the law about leaving your keys in the ignition. My “key” never leaves my pocket. It is only need to be in the Prado for me to start the motor. Once the car is started it will continue to run without the “key” actually being in the car. I have been dropped off in the city by a friend and because no parking available he then drove off to later pick me up. Unfortunately I forgot to leave my “key” in the Prado. Hence he could not turn off the Prado and wait somewhere for my phone call to be picked up but need to run the motor until such time of my call. The law has some catching up with technology. Maybe if our politicans especially our Minister of Governments actually drove them selves around in their own mnisterial cars they may be more attune to new technology. Thanks for reading.

Key Takeaways

There is also a penalty for leaving your car unlocked and or windows open if you are more than 3 metres away, different fines on different states.

Most of the rules mentioned are reasonably sensible. The warning motorists about a sneaky cop hiding in the bushes I was fined for. There was another cop in an unmarked car on the next corner they were working together revenue raising!
Two things came of it. The first being the ridiculous lecture from the cop about my position in the community etc etc...guess he hated teachers. He was obnoxious!
However as I lived on a rural road flashing your lights, sometimes sticking my arm out the window to warn others of an accident, cows wandering on the road or most often fallen trees across the road were regular happening. I asked how I should warn others about these incidents if not with flashing lights etc. The question was never answered but the fine was waived.

Every day, many times there are toots, horn blasts, skid take offs etc on the busy road I now live on in Queensland. All hours doesn't matter! Total disregard for anyone else so I would welcome the no tooting rule up here!

Key Takeaways

You can't touch/use your phone in a drive through? I am quite sure road rules do not apply on private property such as a carpark in a shopping center. How many of us drive on the wrong side of the "road" when turning into a parking bay? Flash our lights to advise pedestrians they can cross in front of us? Wave at people?

I’d heard of most of these barring the drive through one, but I wish the “goodbye toot” would be enforced. Plenty of folk do it in my street and it sets off every dog in hearing distance! Now there’s an annoyance plus a complaint to Council waiting to happen!

You can't touch/use your phone in a drive through? I am quite sure road rules do not apply on private property such as a carpark in a shopping center. How many of us drive on the wrong side of the "road" when turning into a parking bay? Flash our lights to advise pedestrians they can cross in front of us? Wave at people?
Actually the car parks are stil regarded as public property where offences are committed, to the best of my knowledge

Reactions: Ian1
While not touching your phone while driving is a sensible rule, I’m pretty sure those laws came into play before we could pay using our phones. I don’t, but having the car running, foot on the brake, etc., and searching for your wallet in your handbag, then your card in your wallet would pose at least an equally dangerous situation, I’d have thought. I think that’s a law that should be amended.

Reactions: Ian1 and ceej163
I have tooted and waved, and also flash the lights after encountering a 'flash for cash' vehicle on the side of the road. This is appreciated by the majority of oncoming traffic, especially the truckie and I will continue to do so regardless what the 'law' says!

Last edited: