Are you tying your hair up when you go to the bathroom? The shocking reason this doctor insists you need to

Using the toilet certainly isn’t the most glamorous of activities, yet each time we do, it’s sometimes accompanied by a few rituals.

Whether it’s flushing twice or reading the newspaper page by page to really get the ‘optimal’ toilet experience, habits such as these can be seen as comical or merely part of your daily routine.

shutterstock_1044141184.jpg
Why does this doctor insist that you tie your hair in the loo? Credit: Shutterstock.

But until recently, one doctor has revealed her surprising piece of advice to follow while using the loo, with a suggestion enough to make us think twice about how and where we tie our hair when going to the bathroom.

Dr. Daria Sadovskaya, a nephrologist (kidney expert), invited her followers to ‘unlock a new fear’ in a recent video posted to social media, with her suggestion causing mixed reactions among her viewers around the world.

The doctor advised us to tie our hair back before going to the toilet, claiming leaving it down can cause breakouts due to the bacteria in faeces.

'It can cause breakouts and irritation that most commonly appears on the forehead,' she said in the video.

'When you poop, all the bacteria spread from the stool to the bathroom and on your hair first. When your hair is down, it rubs against the skin on your face and transmits all the germs to your face.'

Her point may seem logical, however, the reactions to her suggestion ranged, with some questioning the validity of her claims, some feeling too grossed out to continue watching the video, and others still confused about how to keep hair out of the way whilst in the bathroom.

Some commenters, however, had come on board with her advice, expressing their enthusiasm at how consistent the doctor’s teachings have become in discussions.

'I feel so happy when my patients know about these simple tips and don't damage their health,' she captioned the now-viral video.

Although Dr. Sadovskaya’s claims left many in disbelief, she was backed up by other dermatologists’ cautions, such as the associate professor of dermatology, Dr. Joshua Zeichner.

Dr. Zeichner noted that theoretically, if someone was straining on the toilet for an extended period of time, and oily hair was rubbing against the face, it may contribute to blocked pores.

He even went on to note that this risk is about the same whether you’re sitting on the toilet or simply on the lounge with your hair down.

While it’s important to take basic precautions with anything that concerns your health, perhaps following Dr Sadovskaya’s advice in this instance could prove to be a good idea.

You’ll be pleased to know there are other health-related practices you can incorporate in your life to help avoid breakouts and blemishes, such as avoiding loofahs, keeping your razor away from the bathroom, and brushing your teeth before applying skincare as a preventative measure.

In essence, after a toilet break, you may want to tuck your hair away beforehand, so as to reduce your risk of breakouts. Still, at the end of the day, it’s up to you to decide whether following this example is the best solution for you.

Key Takeaways

• A nephrologist, Dr. Daria Sadovskaya, suggests tying up hair before going to the toilet can reduce the likelihood of developing pimples.
  • She claims that bacteria in faeces can spread to loose, long hair in the bathroom and subsequently be transferred to facial skin, causing breakouts.
  • Immediate public reaction to this advice has ranged from disbelief to amusement, with some questioning the practicality of the advice.
  • However, some dermatologists, including Dr Joshua Zeichner, argue that the risk of hair contributing to blocked pores and breakouts is not significantly higher in the bathroom compared to other places.

Do you think Dr. Sadovskaya is correct? How do you feel about her medical advice? We’d love to hear your thoughts on her peculiar suggestion in the comments!

Sponsored
Using the toilet certainly isn’t the most glamorous of activities, yet each time we do, it’s sometimes accompanied by a few rituals.

Whether it’s flushing twice or reading the newspaper page by page to really get the ‘optimal’ toilet experience, habits such as these can be seen as comical or merely part of your daily routine.

View attachment 29358
Why does this doctor insist that you tie your hair in the loo? Credit: Shutterstock.

But until recently, one doctor has revealed her surprising piece of advice to follow while using the loo, with a suggestion enough to make us think twice about how and where we tie our hair when going to the bathroom.

Dr. Daria Sadovskaya, a nephrologist (kidney expert), invited her followers to ‘unlock a new fear’ in a recent video posted to social media, with her suggestion causing mixed reactions among her viewers around the world.

The doctor advised us to tie our hair back before going to the toilet, claiming leaving it down can cause breakouts due to the bacteria in faeces.

'It can cause breakouts and irritation that most commonly appears on the forehead,' she said in the video.

'When you poop, all the bacteria spread from the stool to the bathroom and on your hair first. When your hair is down, it rubs against the skin on your face and transmits all the germs to your face.'

Her point may seem logical, however, the reactions to her suggestion ranged, with some questioning the validity of her claims, some feeling too grossed out to continue watching the video, and others still confused about how to keep hair out of the way whilst in the bathroom.

Some commenters, however, had come on board with her advice, expressing their enthusiasm at how consistent the doctor’s teachings have become in discussions.

'I feel so happy when my patients know about these simple tips and don't damage their health,' she captioned the now-viral video.

Although Dr. Sadovskaya’s claims left many in disbelief, she was backed up by other dermatologists’ cautions, such as the associate professor of dermatology, Dr. Joshua Zeichner.

Dr. Zeichner noted that theoretically, if someone was straining on the toilet for an extended period of time, and oily hair was rubbing against the face, it may contribute to blocked pores.

He even went on to note that this risk is about the same whether you’re sitting on the toilet or simply on the lounge with your hair down.

While it’s important to take basic precautions with anything that concerns your health, perhaps following Dr Sadovskaya’s advice in this instance could prove to be a good idea.

You’ll be pleased to know there are other health-related practices you can incorporate in your life to help avoid breakouts and blemishes, such as avoiding loofahs, keeping your razor away from the bathroom, and brushing your teeth before applying skincare as a preventative measure.

In essence, after a toilet break, you may want to tuck your hair away beforehand, so as to reduce your risk of breakouts. Still, at the end of the day, it’s up to you to decide whether following this example is the best solution for you.

Key Takeaways

• A nephrologist, Dr. Daria Sadovskaya, suggests tying up hair before going to the toilet can reduce the likelihood of developing pimples.
  • She claims that bacteria in faeces can spread to loose, long hair in the bathroom and subsequently be transferred to facial skin, causing breakouts.
  • Immediate public reaction to this advice has ranged from disbelief to amusement, with some questioning the practicality of the advice.
  • However, some dermatologists, including Dr Joshua Zeichner, argue that the risk of hair contributing to blocked pores and breakouts is not significantly higher in the bathroom compared to other places.

Do you think Dr. Sadovskaya is correct? How do you feel about her medical advice? We’d love to hear your thoughts on her peculiar suggestion in the comments!

where on earth does this idiot live. Bet he's a Yank. I had my hair cut for the first time when I was 16. Mostly wore it in plaits only because Mum was scared of nits. I've often grown it back and, even today, it's just past my shoulders. I've had kidney disease since I was 8 years old and it hasn't killed me yet. Where on earth do these fools come up with their ideas?

Unless you have VERY long hair, what's the fuss? Unless you're checking yourself out closely.

Like a neighbour who broke her nose on the toilet seat when she was about 12, trying get a close up of "down there". You silly girl Kerry! 🤣
THANK YOU FOR THE FIRST LAUGH OF THE DAY. Young girls are apt to try and see what's hidden. So much easier for boys who just have to look down. Hope you had a good night Veg.

where on earth does this idiot live. Bet he's a Yank. I had my hair cut for the first time when I was 16. Mostly wore it in plaits only because Mum was scared of nits. I've often grown it back and, even today, it's just past my shoulders. I've had kidney disease since I was 8 years old and it hasn't killed me yet. Where on earth do these fools come up with their ideas?
Well said

I'm a doctor and I've never heard such nonsense! The bacteria that cause acne live in the skin - they're different to the bacteria in the colon. We should all practise basic hygiene in the toilet bathroom and elsewhere. People have enough to worry about without introducing unfounded fears.

View attachment 29358

Key Takeaways

well what next! I’ve always had a fringe (why do Americans call them bangs?) and I’ve never had acne on my face, especially not my forehead! Imagine having to put one’s hair up before visiting the loo. I must spread the word if I have time with always fussing with my long hair. Thanks for the article Maddie, it’s made me laugh.