Are you overpaying for your fruit? Woman in shock over $25 grapes

Australians are feeling the pain at the supermarket checkout more than ever this year. With the cost of living still on the rise and bank balances continuing to suffer due to economic pressures, grocery shopping can be a struggle.

Recently, one woman named Brodie decided to do a mid-week shop at her local IGA in Perth, only to be shocked and upset at what she found waiting for her at the checkout.

The small bag of grapes she purchased cost $25!

She shared her frustration in a video she posted on social media. She said: ‘Well, I just got f***ing robbed in broad daylight. How are people even feeding themselves?'

Photo_20230928_090441_0000.png
Brodie said the small bag of grapes cost $25 at her local IGA. Credit: @jalayimiya/TikTok

It turns out that Brodie is not alone in this predicament, with other people commenting on her video to join in the frustration.

One commenter wrote, 'I got the same ones! And they aren't even grown here. [They're] from California.'

While another said, '$17 here in Broome. I’m a sucker for grapes, but at $17 a kilo at Spudshed, I’m steering clear.'

Meanwhile, some users questioned the shopper on her purchase. One person asked, ‘Why would you pay that for grapes?’

‘Yikes! I would have given that to the checkout person and told them I didn’t want it,’ another remarked.

You can watch Brodie’s video here:
Warning: This video contains expletives.

The unfortunate truth is that this high price for grapes is likely due to them being out of season in Australia.

The Australian Table Grape Association (ATGA) said that only two of the more than 40 grape varieties are in season at this time, with most of them only hitting supermarket shelves in November or December—which is when prices will go down.

Interestingly, although the cost of living is rising, the price of fruit and vegetables appears to be declining in recent months, according to a recent report released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics. As of August, produce prices have decreased by 8.3 per cent.

Unfortunately, if you're a fan of summer fruits, you'll still need to shell out more than usual. Prices for watermelons currently range from around $30 to $36, ahead of the main growing season from December to May.

Woolworths responded to the backlash they faced because of the price, ‘Our farmers have told us that they've got a great crop on the way just in time for summer, so our customers can expect to see an improvement in the coming weeks.’

Coles also faced criticism, but has not released a statement in response.

Additionally, mangoes will be expensive this summer, with Queensland producers struggling with reduced yields due to a warmer-than-average winter. You can learn more about the mango shortage here.

Berries, on the other hand, may be a wise choice this summer. A punnet of strawberries is currently selling for around $2.

If you’re interested in the best-value fruits and vegetables you can get this month, we’ve published an article with a full list of selections, including asparagus, avocado, corn, pineapple, and many more! You can check out the full list here.

Key Takeaways

• A woman was shocked to pay $25 for a bag of grapes at an IGA supermarket in Perth.
  • The high prices of fruits, like grapes, are due to them being out of season, with many supermarkets selling imported products.
  • Coles and Woolworths have faced criticism for the high pricing of fruits ahead of the growing season.
  • Despite the increase in some fruit prices, the Australian Bureau of Statistics reported an 8.3 per cent decrease in overall fruit and vegetable prices in the year to August 2023.

Even though markets tend to fluctuate, we'd like to encourage you to keep an eye on the prices of your favourite fruits. This way, you'll know the value of your groceries, and you don't need to be caught out if the price is too high.

Have you seen a similar pricing on grapes sold in your local supermarkets, members? Share your experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
So much negativity against IGA. Unlike the big 3 they are, as the name implies, independent stores and, as such, set their own pricing.
My local IGA in St Albans, a Melbourne suburb, is so much cheaper than Coles, Woollies and ALDI on all fresh produce IE fruit & veg, meat and seafood and bread. They price match on many of the more popular grocery items and they have a massive selection of deli and imported goods.
Their stores may not be as flash as the competition but the savings more than compensate for that. Many of the people making negative comments on them as a brand have probably never even been inside one. So much for the mutton mentality 🐏🐏🐏
You should try the IGA in Hemmings Street, Dandenong. The attached bottleshop takes up 20% of the floor space, their fresh meat section is smaller than my bookcase and they don't honour their catalogue specials.

I've been there once - Nestles Strawberry Quik - $4.30 compared to $3.50 at Coles and Woolies. Half price Birdseye Crumbed Whiting scanned at full price until I showed them the catalogue (which was conveniently on the counter NEXT to the cashier). After some heated discussion, I rightfully got the item for half price.

Never again.

So much negativity against IGA. Unlike the big 3 they are, as the name implies, independent stores and, as such, set their own pricing.
My local IGA in St Albans, a Melbourne suburb, is so much cheaper than Coles, Woollies and ALDI on all fresh produce IE fruit & veg, meat and seafood and bread. They price match on many of the more popular grocery items and they have a massive selection of deli and imported goods.
Their stores may not be as flash as the competition but the savings more than compensate for that. Many of the people making negative comments on them as a brand have probably never even been inside one. So much for the mutton mentality 🐏🐏🐏
Iga’s prices are great and there half price specials are really competitive. Just going through the catalogues now 😁

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
If things are too expensive don't buy them.
My sentiments exactly. Look at the price before putting the item in your trolley or before getting to the checkout. Five minutes of fame again, but it only shows her stupidity.

I was almost was caught once by not looking at the price of a ready made meal at Woolies - got to the counter & checkout operator rang up $10. When I questioned the price & she said it was correct I promptly told her “then I don’t want it” , so she had to reverse the cost on the till. Now I check before even picking up anything to put in my trolley.

You should try the IGA in Hemmings Street, Dandenong. The attached bottleshop takes up 20% of the floor space, their fresh meat section is smaller than my bookcase and they don't honour their catalogue specials.

I've been there once - Nestles Strawberry Quik - $4.30 compared to $3.50 at Coles and Woolies. Half price Birdseye Crumbed Whiting scanned at full price until I showed them the catalogue (which was conveniently on the counter NEXT to the cashier). After some heated discussion, I rightfully got the item for half price.

Never again.
That's a valid point but as I pointed out they do operate independently and it's not a one size fits all scenario.
If you are fortunate enough to live in an area where there is a good one, make it your go to for everyday shopping and top up with specials from the other shops. The St Albans IGA has a full sized butcher shop, with a full time butcher, plus the convenience of prepackaged meats if you are in a hurry.
On the other hand, many years ago, I lived in South Yarra and the IGA in Toorak Rd was through the roof. It did, however, have a deli that rivalled any in Acland St.
Just have to shop around 🤔

Australians are feeling the pain at the supermarket checkout more than ever this year. With the cost of living still on the rise and bank balances continuing to suffer due to economic pressures, grocery shopping can be a struggle.

Recently, one woman named Brodie decided to do a mid-week shop at her local IGA in Perth, only to be shocked and upset at what she found waiting for her at the checkout.

She shared her frustration in a video she posted on social media. She said: ‘Well, I just got f***ing robbed in broad daylight. How are people even feeding themselves?'

View attachment 31038
Brodie said the small bag of grapes cost $25 at her local IGA. Credit: @jalayimiya/TikTok

It turns out that Brodie is not alone in this predicament, with other people commenting on her video to join in the frustration.

One commenter wrote, 'I got the same ones! And they aren't even grown here. [They're] from California.'

While another said, '$17 here in Broome. I’m a sucker for grapes, but at $17 a kilo at Spudshed, I’m steering clear.'

Meanwhile, some users questioned the shopper on her purchase. One person asked, ‘Why would you pay that for grapes?’

‘Yikes! I would have given that to the checkout person and told them I didn’t want it,’ another remarked.

The unfortunate truth is that this high price for grapes is likely due to them being out of season in Australia.

The Australian Table Grape Association (ATGA) said that only two of the more than 40 grape varieties are in season at this time, with most of them only hitting supermarket shelves in November or December—which is when prices will go down.

Interestingly, although the cost of living is rising, the price of fruit and vegetables appears to be declining in recent months, according to a recent report released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics. As of August, produce prices have decreased by 8.3 per cent.

Unfortunately, if you're a fan of summer fruits, you'll still need to shell out more than usual. Prices for watermelons currently range from around $30 to $36, ahead of the main growing season from December to May.

Woolworths responded to the backlash they faced because of the price, ‘Our farmers have told us that they've got a great crop on the way just in time for summer, so our customers can expect to see an improvement in the coming weeks.’

Additionally, mangoes will be expensive this summer, with Queensland producers struggling with reduced yields due to a warmer-than-average winter. You can learn more about the mango shortage here.

Berries, on the other hand, may be a wise choice this summer. A punnet of strawberries is currently selling for around $2.

If you’re interested in the best-value fruits and vegetables you can get this month, we’ve published an article with a full list of selections, including asparagus, avocado, corn, pineapple, and many more! You can check out the full list here.

Key Takeaways

• A woman was shocked to pay $25 for a bag of grapes at an IGA supermarket in Perth.
  • The high prices of fruits, like grapes, are due to them being out of season, with many supermarkets selling imported products.
  • Coles and Woolworths have faced criticism for the high pricing of fruits ahead of the growing season.
  • Despite the increase in some fruit prices, the Australian Bureau of Statistics reported an 8.3 per cent decrease in overall fruit and vegetable prices in the year to August 2023.

Even though markets tend to fluctuate, we'd like to encourage you to keep an eye on the prices of your favourite fruits. This way, you'll know the value of your groceries, and you don't need to be caught out if the price is too high.

Have you seen a similar pricing on grapes sold in your local supermarkets, members? Share your experience in the comments below!

I would have asked for my money back. I've done that before today. No sweat....

Reactions: Leenie
The best IGA by a country mile was the one at Bargara, near Bundaberg.

Chicken drumsticks $1.99/kg, skinless breast fillets and whole rump $4.99/kg. That was about 10 years ago.

It closed down in about 2014 when a new Woolies was built about 100 metres away due to lack of patronage. People must have strange money management skills when drumsticks in Woolies were $3.99/kg at the same time!

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
I would have got the check out assistant to delete the item and put them back on the shelf,,no way would I pay that amount for grapes

The best IGA by a country mile was the one at Bargara, near Bundaberg.

Chicken drumsticks $1.99/kg, skinless breast fillets and whole rump $4.99/kg. That was about 10 years ago.

It closed down in about 2014 when a new Woolies was built about 100 metres away due to lack of patronage. People must have strange money management skills when drumsticks in Woolies were $3.99/kg at the same time!
People forget to put their brains into gear before doing their shopping.

View attachment 31038

Key Takeaways

Surely it's as simple as checking the shelf price? And who'd buy USA grapes anyhow? Wait for the Aussie harvest... 🙄🤷‍♀️

Surely it's as simple as checking the shelf price? And who'd buy USA grapes anyhow? Wait for the Aussie harvest... 🙄🤷‍♀️
What I can't understand is the idiots who pay a squillion dollars for the first box of cherries of the season. What's the purpose in that? Have the first cherries that go bad? Well here you go - $60,000 for 2023's first cherries!

Reactions: Veggiepatch
You are correct! But the dilemma is when you purchase a commodity for resale, is it able to be claimed as a tax deduction for the purpose of a donation?

The mind boggles!
🤔good question Ollie need research here I’ll be back😁i’m back totally don’t understand anything there you 👀vp

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch