Are you making this driving mistake? This simple oversight could cost you $1,000

Driving in Australia, just like in most places around the world, comes with a set of rules that motorists must follow to ensure both their safety and that of other road users.

However, some rules might not be as well known as others, leading to hefty fines for unsuspecting drivers.

This is the case for a driver in Queensland who was fined for breaking a little-known rule.

The driver from Upper Coomera received a penalty notice by mail for having a mobile phone in their lap.

They expressed their frustration on social media and wrote: ‘Worth contesting?’

e4094ba9a3bd43b37d5021bea42f011a8d97eb6d-16x9-x0y0w1304h734.jpg
A motorist from Queensland received a fine for violating a little-known rule. Image source: Facebook

‘For sure. Both hands on the wheel, and not using the phone,’ one person said.

‘Given that both hands are on the steering wheel, I’m surprised this has been picked up,’ another replied.

But a third person pointed out: ‘Unfortunately mate, while you weren’t holding it, the law is (that) “no part of your body to be in contact with a mobile device.”’

A Queensland Revenue Office spokesperson explained: ‘To keep yourself and other road users safe, your full attention is needed when driving.’

‘It is illegal to hold a mobile phone in your hand or have it resting on any part of your body, such as your lap when driving.’

illegal-mobile-phone-use.jpg
It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving in Queensland, even if it is on your lap or in your hand. Image source: Queensland Government

This law applies even if the device is turned off, you're not actively using it, or your car is not in motion, for instance, when you're stuck in traffic.

Surprisingly, not all drivers were familiar with this little-known traffic rule.

Many sympathised with the driver, expressing that they were not aware that having a powered-off device touching their body could incur such a fine.

One person asked if having the phone turned off while resting on the passenger seat was also an offence.

As per the Queensland Revenue Office spokesperson, 'The phone does not need to be turned on or in use for it to be an offence.'

These episodes underline the importance of keeping updated with existing traffic rules.

In Queensland, the standard penalty for handling a phone while driving is a fine of $1,161 and four demerit points.

If the same offence is committed within a year, double demerit points are recorded.

Flouting these laws is not only costly; it can also compromise your driving record and impact your ability to hold a driver’s license.

More importantly, distracted driving poses a significant danger to everyone on the road.

Remember, adhering to road safety rules is a shared responsibility. Next time when you get in the car, ensure your mobile device is stored so that it will not distract you or inadvertently come into contact with any part of your body while you are driving.
Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland driver was fined after being caught with a mobile phone on their lap, despite the device appearing to be off.
  • The driver expressed their intentions to contest the penalty and sparked a debate on social media.
  • A Queensland Revenue Office spokesperson clarified that it is illegal to have a mobile phone resting on any part of the body while driving.
  • The average fine for the offence is $1,161, along with four demerit points, and double demerits apply for repeat offences within the year.
Learning about and understanding Australian driving laws can be a life and money saver for both experienced and novice drivers alike.

Have you checked your state's driving laws recently, and are you inadvertently making this or any other mistake that could dent your wallet? Let us know your thoughts and any peculiar driving laws you've come across.

Sponsored
Yup - car turned off, keys out of the ignition is the law. Why would this guy have it on his lap - you can’t tell me he was not waiting for it to receive a message or call, both of which he would be able to respond to without picking it up. You can make calls & can reply to calls & messages via the speaker and voice mail systems. Pay up and smile Buddy!!!

My phone is always kept in the centre console or handbag behind my seat on the floor and I have had to listen to my loud medicine alarm going on for metres before I’ve been able to pull over, stop, remove keys before turning it off and resuming my drive. Is it so hard to follow, for one’s safety and that of others on the road? What is so important? People looking at their phones, playing games on them, or texting while at another person’s home, on an invite, is also my pet peeve.

How would they know it was in your pocket if you had it turned off? It would not be visible or audible so no problem.
Unless it is in your shirt pocket.
Where I keep mine, most of the time.

BTW, in NSW you are allowed to use the phone in your pocket, if using a Bluetooth connection with your vehicle entertainment system.

Yup - car turned off, keys out of the ignition is the law. Why would this guy have it on his lap - you can’t tell me he was not waiting for it to receive a message or call, both of which he would be able to respond to without picking it up. You can make calls & can reply to calls & messages via the speaker and voice mail systems. Pay up and smile Buddy!!!

My phone is always kept in the centre console or handbag behind my seat on the floor and I have had to listen to my loud medicine alarm going on for metres before I’ve been able to pull over, stop, remove keys before turning it off and resuming my drive. Is it so hard to follow, for one’s safety and that of others on the road? What is so important? People looking at their phones, playing games on them, or texting while at another person’s home, on an invite, is also my pet peeve.

Touching the screen in modern cars to control functions is a bigger distraction, how this passed design safety rules beats me
Bn

Reactions: Gsr
BS?

Don't revenue departments have KPIs?
Don't staff in them have performance appraisals, with KPIs derived from those of the Department?
Don't staff take their appraisal into consideration when making decisions?

I've worked in two revenue departments, with KPIs and performance appraisals.

I have repeatedly observed staff in both departments being influenced by their own interests to the detriment of the public.

If the law specifically applies to 'a phone resting on your lap' not just 'in contact with any part of your body' then being in your pocket is fine.

But if not then some revenue officers will inevitably make the decision to issue an infringement for having it in your pocket.

That's just human nature.
How would anyone know if you had a phone in your pocket, unless it was in a top shirt pocket, and don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone carry their phone in that pocket?

How would anyone know if you had a phone in your pocket, unless it was in a top shirt pocket, and don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone carry their phone in that pocket?
I have, often.

I do, myself, keeps it from being scratched by my keys, while leaving my other pocket for my wallet and means it is with me when I get out of the vehicle without stuffing around.

A habit I developed when working in a field rep job... in & out of my car all day.

This sux to me being hard of hearing (ie when using Google maps talking assistant & I need it on my lap to hear it as I dont have a hands free cradle & cant use fancy things like bluetooth etc so i have had it on my lap to be able to hear the damn thing (max volume not loud enough either). For me stopping on freeways/missing turn offs, etc due to being lost or stopping to look at maps so I dont get lost would be far more dangerous than listening to my Google maps while its on my lap where I can hear it :(
A hands-free cradle (that mounts on any glass surface) can be purchased in KMart for less than $10, much cheaper than a $1000+ fine!!

When it comes to phones people are just so rude.
Our grand daughter is the queen of ignorance. While you are trying to have a conversation with her she is busy scrolling through her phone. Feel like putting my foot right up her rear end.

Reactions: Ezzy
Regardless of all this which is plain old safety commonsense. My point is the invasion of privacy with cameras nowadays! They are everywhere, anyone noticing.🤔

It's an invasion of privacy for sure but I understand that it's for our own safety. Regarding the car cameras they don't record faces only the car, so you are still kept private. Regarding the phone it's nonsense, I always keep my phone on the leg because the center console is too small to fit it or is usually occupied with other things. And I can look at it, but for sure it doesn't distract me as much as the center panel with a lot of pop up messages, it's much harder to look at the phone when it's on your leg than on the center console.

This sux to me being hard of hearing (ie when using Google maps talking assistant & I need it on my lap to hear it as I dont have a hands free cradle & cant use fancy things like bluetooth etc so i have had it on my lap to be able to hear the damn thing (max volume not loud enough either). For me stopping on freeways/missing turn offs, etc due to being lost or stopping to look at maps so I dont get lost would be far more dangerous than listening to my Google maps while its on my lap where I can hear it :(
My husband has hearing problems, so he decided that installing a hands-free device and using Bluetooth was better than a $1,000 fine. It is also safer if he gets a call while driving.

has been the law for at least 5 years now. Plenty of gripes on A Current Affair by people saying it was just next to them, blah blah, blah. Repeat, a well know law that has existed for 5 or more years. First year P platers are are required to keep their phone in the glove box or the back seat. Abuse of texting crosses ALL ages and is akin to driving DRUNK or DRUG effected.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
It's an invasion of privacy for sure but I understand that it's for our own safety. Regarding the car cameras they don't record faces only the car, so you are still kept private. Regarding the phone it's nonsense, I always keep my phone on the leg because the center console is too small to fit it or is usually occupied with other things. And I can look at it, but for sure it doesn't distract me as much as the center panel with a lot of pop up messages, it's much harder to look at the phone when it's on your leg than on the center console.
Why don't you just put it in the glovebox like you're supposed to do. Nothing is that important that it puts yours and other people's lives at risk
What did people do before mobile phones, we all survived.