Are you being ripped off? Shoppers discover one MASSIVE price difference between Coles and Woolworths

When it comes to groceries, it pays to shop around.

No two supermarkets are alike, and each offers its own unique pricing structure for the items it sells. That means that if you want to get the best deal on your groceries, you need to be willing to shop around.

Of course, this takes some extra time and effort. But if you're able to do it, you could potentially save a lot of money in the long run.

Most people are aware that there can be significant price differences between different supermarkets. However, many people don't realise just how much some of these prices can vary…

Just take, for example, the $2 price discrepancy between the same snack being sold at Woolworths and Coles.

No need to take a double look, folks! Customers were perplexed when they learned that Woolworths was selling Smith's Thinly Cut Potato Chips Share Pack Salt & Vinegar 175g for $4.30 while Coles was selling it for only $2.20.

One shopper took to Facebook to share the 'discovery', noting that they discovered a 'markup' instead of a markdown while shopping around for bargain deals.

'Not a markdown but a super markup! Woolworths price compared to Coles price. Inflation has gone mad,' the customer wrote.

Several shoppers tried to make sense of the significant price difference by pointing out that the Woolworths tag in the store said that the chips were gluten-free.

However, it should be noted that the chips from both retailers were gluten-free.

lJJT9iYTNqv5Rl1AR_3e2U0yIHKMVii5uKjKK1n8-bifAYYy1DRzDCwD-9BcjLKVE3frXVh2kWESGYiduRDR9zxxeGR70oOYPwfi1H1Pgio3nYXmwyfxeWB9L-QmM9h7Psra1g7koSZxwkUOVRYHaQ

The $2.10 price difference between the same chips being sold at Coles and Woolworths has enraged shoppers. Credit: Facebook.

Retail expert Gary Mortimer commented on the issue, saying that the price discrepancy was 'interesting'.

He remarked: 'It's very peculiar at face value, they look like exactly the same product and exactly the same size.'

'I guess there could be a number of reasons why we've seen a price discrepancy between essentially the exact same product in different supermarkets.'

He speculated that Coles and Smiths could have worked out an agreement for a rebate, allowing the retailer to sell the item for a lower cost for a longer period of time, noting that the price tag at Coles indicates that the item is part of Coles' 'everyday low price' range.

Prof Mortimer explained: 'An everyday price tends to indicate a permanent price reduction and a stabilisation of price.'

'So with an everyday price, you would not expect to see that price discounted further, like a weekly special, you would also not expect that price to go up.'

According to the expert, the Woolworths tag did not say the item was on sale or at a discount, therefore there is a potential that the chips will eventually be put on sale.

Many supermarkets use a high-low pricing approach, where products are initially priced at the suggested retail price before being reduced.

'So all products are put on a supermarket shelf based on the cost to supply plus a margin, which the retailer takes as profit,' he elaborated.

'And then when they discount those products, both the retailer takes a hit, as in the retailer funds some of that discounting, and the supplier funds some of that discounting.'

Prof Mortimer also noted that these discounts usually last for a week.

qc18WRRhzu98E3ezQP4539qzz4iAJEKt55-2EvZgJ7iq9ZB_LUd5UD7Pwvz5mayafTcJqvhBGWwGLr0Dw4UAGakzGo2FYo6LRYFKYCEIPdW07W36G9ddNz0MrOYi8gIo7rBnB3_9dslvT9xWIWoOJw

According to Prof. Mortimer, most supermarkets would use high-low pricing, allowing buyers to nab a bargain. Credit: AAP.

A Woolworths representative explained the retailer's pricing strategy, saying that while the company is 'working to continue to provide our customers with great value it's important we also support our suppliers in covering their increasing production costs.'

'This ensures they can continue to meet the food and groceries needs of all Australians,' the spokesperson added.

'Managing industry-wide inflationary pressures will continue to be the focus for us as we work hard to provide customers with great value in partnership with our suppliers through programs like Prices Dropped for Winter and Price Freeze, as well as the thousands of weekly specials.'

This story just proves that you can maximise your budget if you take your time and scan through items to find a lower deal. Sometimes, some retailers can offer the same product at a lower price through their agreements with the suppliers and only those who meticulously shop around can take advantage of these deals.

So, there you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, have you experienced a similar incident where you noticed that the same item was being retailed at a significantly higher cost at different supermarkets? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
With such a large family I've always been a good shopper.

I shop do most of my shopping between woolworths and Coles, I buy up on specials and then compare both stores on the other items that are not on special.
I have seen in both stores higher prices than the other eg homebrand butter and Kellogg cereal

I buy on line from Coles then go in store in I need specials from woolies or Visa versa. I also go into Aldis to buy certain items. Lucky my shopping centre has these three stores basically next to each other , so really doesn't take that much extra time yet a great saving

No two supermarkets are alike, and each offers its own unique pricing structure for the items it sells. That means that if you want to get the best deal on your groceries, you need to be willing to shop around.

Of course, this takes some extra time and effort. But if you're able to do it, you could potentially save a lot of money in the long run.

Most people are aware that there can be significant price differences between different supermarkets. However, many people don't realise just how much some of these prices can vary…

Just take, for example, the $2 price discrepancy between the same snack being sold at Woolworths and Coles.

No need to take a double look, folks! Customers were perplexed when they learned that Woolworths was selling Smith's Thinly Cut Potato Chips Share Pack Salt & Vinegar 175g for $4.30 while Coles was selling it for only $2.20.

One shopper took to Facebook to share the 'discovery', noting that they discovered a 'markup' instead of a markdown while shopping around for bargain deals.

'Not a markdown but a super markup! Woolworths price compared to Coles price. Inflation has gone mad,' the customer wrote.

Several shoppers tried to make sense of the significant price difference by pointing out that the Woolworths tag in the store said that the chips were gluten-free.

However, it should be noted that the chips from both retailers were gluten-free.

lJJT9iYTNqv5Rl1AR_3e2U0yIHKMVii5uKjKK1n8-bifAYYy1DRzDCwD-9BcjLKVE3frXVh2kWESGYiduRDR9zxxeGR70oOYPwfi1H1Pgio3nYXmwyfxeWB9L-QmM9h7Psra1g7koSZxwkUOVRYHaQ

The $2.10 price difference between the same chips being sold at Coles and Woolworths has enraged shoppers. Credit: Facebook.

Retail expert Gary Mortimer commented on the issue, saying that the price discrepancy was 'interesting'.

He remarked: 'It's very peculiar at face value, they look like exactly the same product and exactly the same size.'

'I guess there could be a number of reasons why we've seen a price discrepancy between essentially the exact same product in different supermarkets.'

He speculated that Coles and Smiths could have worked out an agreement for a rebate, allowing the retailer to sell the item for a lower cost for a longer period of time, noting that the price tag at Coles indicates that the item is part of Coles' 'everyday low price' range.

Prof Mortimer explained: 'An everyday price tends to indicate a permanent price reduction and a stabilisation of price.'

'So with an everyday price, you would not expect to see that price discounted further, like a weekly special, you would also not expect that price to go up.'

According to the expert, the Woolworths tag did not say the item was on sale or at a discount, therefore there is a potential that the chips will eventually be put on sale.

Many supermarkets use a high-low pricing approach, where products are initially priced at the suggested retail price before being reduced.

'So all products are put on a supermarket shelf based on the cost to supply plus a margin, which the retailer takes as profit,' he elaborated.

'And then when they discount those products, both the retailer takes a hit, as in the retailer funds some of that discounting, and the supplier funds some of that discounting.'

qc18WRRhzu98E3ezQP4539qzz4iAJEKt55-2EvZgJ7iq9ZB_LUd5UD7Pwvz5mayafTcJqvhBGWwGLr0Dw4UAGakzGo2FYo6LRYFKYCEIPdW07W36G9ddNz0MrOYi8gIo7rBnB3_9dslvT9xWIWoOJw

According to Prof. Mortimer, most supermarkets would use high-low pricing, allowing buyers to nab a bargain. Credit: AAP.

A Woolworths representative explained the retailer's pricing strategy, saying that while the company is 'working to continue to provide our customers with great value it's important we also support our suppliers in covering their increasing production costs.'

'This ensures they can continue to meet the food and groceries needs of all Australians,' the spokesperson added.

'Managing industry-wide inflationary pressures will continue to be the focus for us as we work hard to provide customers with great value in partnership with our suppliers through programs like Prices Dropped for Winter and Price Freeze, as well as the thousands of weekly specials.'

This story just proves that you can maximise your budget if you take your time and scan through items to find a lower deal. Sometimes, some retailers can offer the same product at a lower price through their agreements with the suppliers and only those who meticulously shop around can take advantage of these deals.

So, there you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, have you experienced a similar incident where you noticed that the same item was being retailed at a significantly higher cost at different supermarkets? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
We buy Aldi chips- 230g for $1.99.I get salt and vinegar and hubby and the bird get sour cream and onion.

"Are you being ripped off?" What a great headline, are you being ripped off? , by a supermarket in Australia, NEVER!!!

I wonder what the price of chips at Coles were the other week when Woolies had them for $1.87? It's swings and roundabouts, Everything in both stores gets to be on special eventually, it's just a matter of having enough stock at home to last the in-between times!:)

I am tired of being ripped off with cat food and litter at the major supermarkets. My brother, thankfully for me as I don't drive, took me to a produce market and also a large discount chain and I managed to get my cat's litter for a quarter of the price the major supermarkets are selling them for. I was astounded at the difference and it is certainly a saving for me when we need it the most. As for Coles and Woolworths online shopping in my area they tend to be much of a muchness. I don't buy things like chips or sweets so this sort of item doesn't interest me. But I am appalled at the price of milk going up by 30c a carton. I bet the producers are not seeing much of that increase.

They always have an answer for the price increase, if you shop around its much better. The Supermarkets are usually close to each other making it easier. Just bought cough mixture in Discount Chemist for $ 15. 99. Supermarkets much more. But just saw a commercial for Chemist Warehouse $ 10.99. Go figure.

Makes you think what a greedy bunch they are with the horrible mark ups they help themselves to

Reactions: Ricci
The price discrepancy could have been a human error. The person keying the reference number could have keyed in one digit wrong, not noticed the mistake printed the ticket and applied to the shelf. All price changes are done from head office not in store as a lot of people think.

I noticed this on the weekend, when the chips came out they were $2 in both stores, then a price rise of 20c in Coles and 30c in Woolworths in probably the last 6 months.
I went to get a packet on Saturday at Woolworths when it rang up I told the cashier to void it as I wasn't paying that price.
I couldn't believe how something can go up so much.

Went to Coles to buy a box of Pedigree 10-25kg Dentastix for my dog and paid $21.00 for the box of 28 sticks. Went to the Reject Shop for something else and they were selling the exact same item for $13.25. Coles that was a rip off. Returned the box and got a refund.

Yup. I used to shop at Woolworth, but their prices in most items are more expensive. Now I either shop at Aldis(still the cheapest) or/and Coles

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci

Both supermarkets have specials. It pays to check . At Stud park coles and woolworths are on opposite sides of car park, so it is easy

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
At my local Coles this week smith's thinly cut chips were $4.30. It is now a luxury item!

Reactions: Ricci