Are you aware of this Commonwealth Bank scam that appears ‘genuine’ at first glance?

We’ve all heard of online scams, and many of us may even have been affected by them in one way or another. It’s a disturbing problem for sure, but thankfully, Australians are slowly getting savvier with regard to spotting and avoiding such threats.

However, not all scams are so obvious.

Recently, a Commonwealth Bank customer who almost fell victim to a disturbing email scam realised that the fraudsters were becoming much more sophisticated in their nefarious endeavour to dupe their victims—to the point where it was almost impossible to tell the genuine emails from the fake ones.

The recipient of the scam email shared an example of how their parents almost got scammed.

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 1.23.14 PM.png
A legitimate email from CommBank (left) and a fake one (right). Credit: CommBank.

'We received an email a few weeks ago from CommBank saying to update our personal details through the app,' theysaid.

'We received a scam email today which is almost identical to the original.'

Indeed, at first glance, the emails did look incredibly convincing. But if you look a little closer, there are some tell-tale signs that can aid in identifying a fake email—but only if you know what to look for.

The genuine email contains a warning missing from the fake version, stating that the Commonwealth Bank will never ask for private information such as a client ID or passcode in an email or SMS.

It also directs customers to log in to NetBank or use their CommBank app to update their details. The fake email contains a button directly in the email, usually in an attempt to hide what appears to be an incorrect web address.

Other clues to look out for include looking at the address the email was sent from (it will usually be very different from an official address), and while it may have looked like they finally got the spelling right, there'll still be grammatical errors on their end.

1692575704692.png

If you ever receive any suspicious emails, the Commonwealth Bank has requested that you forward the message to [email protected] so they can investigate it and then delete it from your inbox.

Of course, only click on a link if you're sure it's safe. If you do unwittingly click a link, call the bank immediately to let them know so they can lock your account.

Whatever you do, never provide personal banking information, even if the email looks legitimate.

Finally, whenever you access services or log in, always type commbank.com.au into a browser or use the CommBank app to securely access your banking

Key Takeaways

• A Commonwealth Bank customer has highlighted a new scam tactic where fraudsters copy the layout of genuine emails, making them hard to detect.
  • Subtle differences between genuine and scam emails include a missing warning about not asking for private information, a direct link button in the scam email, and some noticeable grammatical errors.
  • Customers can report scams to CommBank's 24/7 Cyber Security Centre by forwarding the suspicious email to [email protected] and then deleting the email without clicking any links.
  • CommBank advises customers to always type commbank.com.au into a browser or use the CommBank app for secure access whilst being vigilant about messages or emails that look suspicious or include urgent calls to action.

Members, always stay alert! Be vigilant regarding your online activities and pay attention to emails or messages that don’t look right. If you spot any of the signs outlined above, trust your gut and delete the email immediately.

Remember, there’s simply no room for complacency regarding cyber security. Remain vigilant and stay alert—if you think something fishy about an email, it’s always better to stay safe than sorry.

Have you come across any suspicious emails recently? What did you do about it? Share your experiences with us in the comments!

Sponsored
I received an identical email to that on the left side of the photo. Being my usual skeptical self, I visited the local CBA to question the email's authenticity.

All was OK so I verified my info without worry. 😁
I got the same emails. It asked me to go into my netbank though so I don't see how they could scan me.
I ran the email through with my son who worked at CBA for many years and he said it looked legit. I finished up speaking with the bank and they confirmed my details over the phone and didn't mention that the email I was referring to was a scam, so not sure if it actually was seeing as the email asked me to contact the bank
direcectly.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I just had a cba scam phone call from Sutherland nsw an American voice saying my card has been blocked due to a rejected purchase of $140.10 . Give me your card no etc they wanted. Really idiots👎

• Love
Reactions: Bridgit and Trudi
We’ve all heard of online scams, and many of us may even have been affected by them in one way or another. It’s a disturbing problem for sure, but thankfully, Australians are slowly getting savvier with regard to spotting and avoiding such threats.

Recently, a Commonwealth Bank customer who almost fell victim to a disturbing email scam realised that the fraudsters were becoming much more sophisticated in their nefarious endeavour to dupe their victims—to the point where it was almost impossible to tell the genuine emails from the fake ones.

The recipient of the scam email shared an example of how their parents almost got scammed.

View attachment 27581
A legitimate email from CommBank (left) and a fake one (right). Credit: CommBank.

'We received an email a few weeks ago from CommBank saying to update our personal details through the app,' theysaid.

Indeed, at first glance, the emails did look incredibly convincing. But if you look a little closer, there are some tell-tale signs that can aid in identifying a fake email—but only if you know what to look for.

The genuine email contains a warning missing from the fake version, stating that the Commonwealth Bank will never ask for private information such as a client ID or passcode in an email or SMS.

It also directs customers to log in to NetBank or use their CommBank app to update their details. The fake email contains a button directly in the email, usually in an attempt to hide what appears to be an incorrect web address.

Other clues to look out for include looking at the address the email was sent from (it will usually be very different from an official address), and while it may have looked like they finally got the spelling right, there'll still be grammatical errors on their end.

If you ever receive any suspicious emails, the Commonwealth Bank has requested that you forward the message to [email protected] so they can investigate it and then delete it from your inbox.

Of course, only click on a link if you're sure it's safe. If you do unwittingly click a link, call the bank immediately to let them know so they can lock your account.

Whatever you do, never provide personal banking information, even if the email looks legitimate.

Finally, whenever you access services or log in, always type commbank.com.au into a browser or use the CommBank app to securely access your banking

Key Takeaways

• A Commonwealth Bank customer has highlighted a new scam tactic where fraudsters copy the layout of genuine emails, making them hard to detect.
  • Subtle differences between genuine and scam emails include a missing warning about not asking for private information, a direct link button in the scam email, and some noticeable grammatical errors.
  • Customers can report scams to CommBank's 24/7 Cyber Security Centre by forwarding the suspicious email to [email protected] and then deleting the email without clicking any links.
  • CommBank advises customers to always type commbank.com.au into a browser or use the CommBank app for secure access whilst being vigilant about messages or emails that look suspicious or include urgent calls to action.

Members, always stay alert! Be vigilant regarding your online activities and pay attention to emails or messages that don’t look right. If you spot any of the signs outlined above, trust your gut and delete the email immediately.

Remember, there’s simply no room for complacency regarding cyber security. Remain vigilant and stay alert—if you think something fishy about an email, it’s always better to stay safe than sorry.

Have you come across any suspicious emails recently? What did you do about it? Share your experiences with us in the comments!

Paypal has a special email to report scams
Why don't the banks bother to help customers? To big ripping people off ?

View attachment 27581

Key Takeaways

Pay by bank cheque, personal cheque or cash or card across the counter. It is that simple. Cheques take a week to clear and can be stopped. The scammer-community has betrayed our trust in how we do business.

As for banks and other "service-providers" sending you messages through the internet, just delete them. If they are serious they can use Australia Post for the cost of a stamp and the envelope. Banks are rich enough to afford that and the cost of postage is tax-deductible for any business. It also helps to keep our "posties" employed.

As for the CBA; that was just another email I deleted automatically. The internet makes robbery all too easy.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi
PS. And don't use your computer or mobile phone to check your bank balance. Any off-the-shelf security software that you buy is reactive, not proactive when it comes to viruses etc that can drift into our now over-complicated computer programs that run our personal computers/ mobile phones and their applications. The only secure computer is the one you don't have and can't use.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi
Paypal has a special email to report scams
Why don't the banks bother to help customers? To big ripping people off ?
Paypal?

Paypal locked my account about 9 years ago and still owes me $14.12c. There was no good reason for that and after two days of going round in circles on a computer trying to get Paypal to unlock my account, I gave up. I was not the only one trying to get my account unlocked; reading around the internet I came across small businesses who had had as much as $20 000 locked up for 6 months or more and for no sound reason that I could read. Paypal has been one of those "services" that I have long ago refused to use.

PayPalSucks.org is still active. I first viewed this site 9 years ago, and having just taken a look at it today, it seems that the same old same old is still going on today, to judge by recent posts. Some people may be bitter and twisted and thus may post vindictive rubbish, but there is a certain long-term consistency to the style of complaint in this website.

Last edited:
I too had a notice like this but as I really have nothing to do with Commonwealth Bank apart from opening an account for selling my useless Telstra shares but I have never done anything about this so never used the account. I just deleted the email.

Also Spelling mistake for “noticed” in fake email - no “d” on end😄

Another spelling error is 'we're' instead of the correct 'we've'. Scammers will nearly always get something wrong.

PS. And don't use your computer or mobile phone to check your bank balance. Any off-the-shelf security software that you buy is reactive, not proactive when it comes to viruses etc that can drift into our now over-complicated computer programs that run our personal computers/ mobile phones and their applications. The only secure computer is the one you don't have and can't use.
Oh my, oh my, I am in deep trouble then!

I have been using my computers to do my banking for nearly 20 years! And to top it off, occasionally I open my bank account on my mobile.

Sorry, but I don't have the patience to put up with fear mongering.

"Pay by bank cheque, personal cheque or cash or card across the counter" - sure. Apart from using my cards for purchases over the counter, no thanks!

Reactions: Veggiepatch