Are you accidentally breaking this often-ignored road rule? The common act that could cost Aussie drivers $337!

At the Seniors Discount Club, we love to share some interesting – and, at times, surprising – facts with our members. This week, we stumbled across a little-known road rule that will have you watching where you put your arm the next time you're driving.

An Aussie driver shared a story about a police officer silently gesturing at her as she waved to a neighbour with her arm out the car window. As it turns out, she was inadvertently breaking an obscure road rule – and she's not alone!

Yes, you read that correctly! According to Budget Direct, something as simple as waving your arm out of the car window or resting it on the door ledge while you drive could land you a wallet-crushing fine of $337 and a loss of three demerit points.

The insurer warns that passengers are also subject to the same penalties.

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 2.39.33 PM.png
Drivers who put their arms outside of their cars while driving can get a $337 fine. Credit: Pexels/Adrien Olichon.

You might be thinking, 'Surely this can't be true?' but we assure you, it is!

The insurer explains: 'According to all state and territories' driving regulations, it is illegal for any part of your body to be outside a moving vehicle at any time.'

So, remember not to poke your arm out the window for a friendly wave. Instead, stick to the safer and legal option of displaying your goodbye from within the vehicle.

However, do note that if you are signalling that you are turning right, slowing down or stopping using your arm, then authorities will grant you a pass.

Budget Direct has also highlighted some other lesser-known road rules that you might want to consider if you haven't already heard of them:

Driving with a dog or pet on your lap: It's illegal in all states and territories to drive with a pet on your lap. Not only could this put other drivers at risk due to a potential obstruction of the view or interference with your driving, but your beloved pet could also be seriously harmed in the event of an accident.

The law is crystal clear: no animal, no matter how tiny, should be on the driver's lap while the vehicle is in motion.

Excessive car horn usage: Do you find yourself honking your car horn more often than not?

Be careful! It is illegal to use your horn across all of Australia unless you are warning other drivers that your vehicle is approaching, trying to get animals off the road, or using it as part of an anti-theft or alcohol interlock device. In all other situations, you might just be breaking the law!

Lesser-known Australian road rules that are illegal in all states and territories.jpg

Key Takeaways

• Australian drivers are being warned not to wave an arm out of their car window, as it could result in a hefty $337 fine and a loss of three demerit points.
  • It is illegal for any part of the body to be outside a moving vehicle at any time, according to Budget Direct, who warned that passengers could also face the same penalties.
    Drivers are encouraged to wave inside the vehicle to avoid fines and should note that using their arm to signal turning, slowing down, or stopping is allowed.
  • Other little-known rules include not driving with a pet on your lap and using your car horn only to warn other drivers, get animals off the road, or as part of an anti-theft or alcohol interlock device.

These eye-opening legal titbits serve as a reminder that whenever you get behind the wheel, it's always good to brush up on your knowledge of traffic rules and regulations – no matter how experienced a driver you may be.

And while it's always necessary to abide by the law, staying aware and safe should be your top priority. Stay safe out there, dear members, and happy driving always!

Sponsored
Easy fix, don't do it! The risk of losing a limb if it is outside the car and you are involved in an accident could be rather high, the answer, leave your body part in the car, or you could possibly be leaving it on the road!
Well if that was the case the vehicle hitting your arm is also bound to hit your car too.

This is definitely not a very known road rule, though I think it’s been mentioned before in the SDC news, and I often wave to family and friends, sticking my arm out the car window, so each time I’m breaking a road rule too but on Saturday my husband and I were out for a drive and here’s this tradie van with the driver driving with his arm out the drivers window and a cute little puppy with it’s head out the window as it’s sitting on his lap or arm, not sure as it was so tiny. Of course my husband was saying ‘take a photo and report him’ but I just couldn’t, who knows maybe someone else saw it and may have reported this but I felt bad doing it and some may think I’m wrong but that’s just me 🤷🏻‍♀️
I wonder if anyone out there ever thought of reporting your husband for doing something wrong while driving too. We are all not infallible, are we.??

In the early eighties I walked into a Darwin police station, after work and said to the very busy desk sergeant, "I'm here to renew my driver's license mate, I didn't realize it had expired."

He looked up, motioned to another desk with a back handed gesture and said "Pay over there.

I said "don't I need to do another test? He said "you drove here didn't you!" and went back to writing. I paid and left
Same here mate. Many many moons ago, (Even before the eighties) I was building power lines way way in the bush and civilisation, and my boss wanted that I get a semitrailer licence as I only had a truck licence, so I drove for about 60 or 70 miles (Possibly more) loaded with power poles to the Police Station in Wagga, pulled up, in front of the Police Station and walked in and spoke to the old Sergenat and told him that I was there for my semi licence. He picked up some documents and we walked out the station with me and approached the semi which was parkde right across the road. He looked inside and saw that there was no one in it and asked who was with me while driving all that way to Wagga and I said no one, I was all alone and that I was delivering the power poles to another site.

He said come inside and said well, if you drove all that way here to get your licence you must be good at it and know what to do otherwise you wouldn't have got here in one piece, and he gave me the Licence.

YEP, THE GOOD OLD DAYS where common sense did apply.

Reactions: Pink lion
At the Seniors Discount Club, we love to share some interesting – and, at times, surprising – facts with our members. This week, we stumbled across a little-known road rule that will have you watching where you put your arm the next time you're driving.

An Aussie driver shared a story about a police officer silently gesturing at her as she waved to a neighbour with her arm out the car window. As it turns out, she was inadvertently breaking an obscure road rule – and she's not alone!

Yes, you read that correctly! According to Budget Direct, something as simple as waving your arm out of the car window or resting it on the door ledge while you drive could land you a wallet-crushing fine of $337 and a loss of three demerit points.

View attachment 21529
Drivers who put their arms outside of their cars while driving can get a $337 fine. Credit: Pexels/Adrien Olichon.

The insurer explains: 'According to all state and territories' driving regulations, it is illegal for any part of your body to be outside a moving vehicle at any time.'

So, remember not to poke your arm out the window for a friendly wave. Instead, stick to the safer and legal option of displaying your goodbye from within the vehicle.

However, do note that if you are signalling that you are turning right, slowing down or stopping using your arm, then authorities will grant you a pass.

Budget Direct has also highlighted some other lesser-known road rules that you might want to consider if you haven't already heard of them:

Driving with a dog or pet on your lap: It's illegal in all states and territories to drive with a pet on your lap. Not only could this put other drivers at risk due to a potential obstruction of the view or interference with your driving, but your beloved pet could also be seriously harmed in the event of an accident.

The law is crystal clear: no animal, no matter how tiny, should be on the driver's lap while the vehicle is in motion.

Excessive car horn usage: Do you find yourself honking your car horn more often than not?

Be careful! It is illegal to use your horn across all of Australia unless you are warning other drivers that your vehicle is approaching, trying to get animals off the road, or using it as part of an anti-theft or alcohol interlock device. In all other situations, you might just be breaking the law!

Key Takeaways

• Australian drivers are being warned not to wave an arm out of their car window, as it could result in a hefty $337 fine and a loss of three demerit points.
  • It is illegal for any part of the body to be outside a moving vehicle at any time, according to Budget Direct, who warned that passengers could also face the same penalties.
    Drivers are encouraged to wave inside the vehicle to avoid fines and should note that using their arm to signal turning, slowing down, or stopping is allowed.
  • Other little-known rules include not driving with a pet on your lap and using your car horn only to warn other drivers, get animals off the road, or as part of an anti-theft or alcohol interlock device.

These eye-opening legal titbits serve as a reminder that whenever you get behind the wheel, it's always good to brush up on your knowledge of traffic rules and regulations – no matter how experienced a driver you may be.

And while it's always necessary to abide by the law, staying aware and safe should be your top priority. Stay safe out there, dear members, and happy driving always!
Having any part of your body out the window is not an obscure rule, everyone should know it as it is a common part of the rules of the road, just because not everyone observes it doesn't make it obscure

I wonder if anyone out there ever thought of reporting your husband for doing something wrong while driving too. We are all not infallible, are we.??
wives too now wouldn't that be a hoot.
I can see husbands lining up right now to report dangerous driving ... but no I don't think it'd end well.

View attachment 21529

Key Takeaways

These laws where there already 60 years ago

It all depends on which papers though. Not all of them do especially if you live in the Country
exactly, but in court one is still faced with the same thing... ignorance of the law is no excuse