Are you accidentally breaking this often-ignored road rule? The common act that could cost Aussie drivers $337!

At the Seniors Discount Club, we love to share some interesting – and, at times, surprising – facts with our members. This week, we stumbled across a little-known road rule that will have you watching where you put your arm the next time you're driving.

An Aussie driver shared a story about a police officer silently gesturing at her as she waved to a neighbour with her arm out the car window. As it turns out, she was inadvertently breaking an obscure road rule – and she's not alone!

Yes, you read that correctly! According to Budget Direct, something as simple as waving your arm out of the car window or resting it on the door ledge while you drive could land you a wallet-crushing fine of $337 and a loss of three demerit points.

The insurer warns that passengers are also subject to the same penalties.

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 2.39.33 PM.png
Drivers who put their arms outside of their cars while driving can get a $337 fine. Credit: Pexels/Adrien Olichon.

You might be thinking, 'Surely this can't be true?' but we assure you, it is!

The insurer explains: 'According to all state and territories' driving regulations, it is illegal for any part of your body to be outside a moving vehicle at any time.'

So, remember not to poke your arm out the window for a friendly wave. Instead, stick to the safer and legal option of displaying your goodbye from within the vehicle.

However, do note that if you are signalling that you are turning right, slowing down or stopping using your arm, then authorities will grant you a pass.

Budget Direct has also highlighted some other lesser-known road rules that you might want to consider if you haven't already heard of them:

Driving with a dog or pet on your lap: It's illegal in all states and territories to drive with a pet on your lap. Not only could this put other drivers at risk due to a potential obstruction of the view or interference with your driving, but your beloved pet could also be seriously harmed in the event of an accident.

The law is crystal clear: no animal, no matter how tiny, should be on the driver's lap while the vehicle is in motion.

Excessive car horn usage: Do you find yourself honking your car horn more often than not?

Be careful! It is illegal to use your horn across all of Australia unless you are warning other drivers that your vehicle is approaching, trying to get animals off the road, or using it as part of an anti-theft or alcohol interlock device. In all other situations, you might just be breaking the law!

Lesser-known Australian road rules that are illegal in all states and territories.jpg

Key Takeaways

• Australian drivers are being warned not to wave an arm out of their car window, as it could result in a hefty $337 fine and a loss of three demerit points.
  • It is illegal for any part of the body to be outside a moving vehicle at any time, according to Budget Direct, who warned that passengers could also face the same penalties.
    Drivers are encouraged to wave inside the vehicle to avoid fines and should note that using their arm to signal turning, slowing down, or stopping is allowed.
  • Other little-known rules include not driving with a pet on your lap and using your car horn only to warn other drivers, get animals off the road, or as part of an anti-theft or alcohol interlock device.

These eye-opening legal titbits serve as a reminder that whenever you get behind the wheel, it's always good to brush up on your knowledge of traffic rules and regulations – no matter how experienced a driver you may be.

And while it's always necessary to abide by the law, staying aware and safe should be your top priority. Stay safe out there, dear members, and happy driving always!

Sponsored
Yes I did know. It’s in the rode code that we’re meant to know before we get out license. No part of your body is allowed to protrude from the vehicle
What on earth is a rode code - something to do with riding a horse or a donkey or doing a roadeyo on a bull

Reactions: Jarred Santos
There are a lot more rules and regulations with regarding the road and vehicles, the book is a real big one that the public dont get to see unless it is produced in a court matter, but that doesnt mean you get to read it.... THATS NOT ALOUD... each time a new law is passed it is printed in the newspaper and if you didnt see it or read it thats tough titties as ignorance of the law is no excuse when it comes to being charged with an offence.... Governments and the law are Lovely people arnt they....... NOT.... how else do they raise extra coin.
If it is not ALOUD - you might need some hearing aids or ear muffs when you go to court

Reactions: Jarred Santos
While you might think that hand signals went out in the 1950s, if your vehicle was built without stop or indicator lights or your more modern vehicle’s stop lights or indicators have failed or are not clearly visible in Queensland, NSW, Victoria, SA and NT, you’re free to use hand signals to indicate a right turn or if you’re stopping.
I wonder if the younger drivers off today are aware of this rule....
I use my hazard lights to flash as i reverse my small coupe at shopping centre.. the train being that these huge vehicles always pull in and park often on either side of my car and all vision is blocked until i am a distance out and rarely does a intended passer by stop their cars to hand back other traffic so i can continue to safely negotiate reversing. Yes, i an aware that it's illegal to reverse into oncoming traffic, but I'm sure it's also illegal for other vehicles to block out vision as those huge elephantine vehicles do.. i have wondered why there is there no designated parking bays for them at all shopping centres.
Perhaps it's time for me to start lobbying politicians or contacting centre managements.
What do others feel regarding this.

I use my hazard lights to flash as i reverse my small coupe at shopping centre.. the train being that these huge vehicles always pull in and park often on either side of my car and all vision is blocked until i am a distance out and rarely does a intended passer by stop their cars to hand back other traffic so i can continue to safely negotiate reversing. Yes, i an aware that it's illegal to reverse into oncoming traffic, but I'm sure it's also illegal for other vehicles to block out vision as those huge elephantine vehicles do.. i have wondered why there is there no designated parking bays for them at all shopping centres.
Perhaps it's time for me to start lobbying politicians or contacting centre managements.
I never ever park where I have to reverse out into traffic either in a carpark or a road. I would rather hold up traffic for an extra 10 seconds whilst I reverse in than risk getting sideswiped on the way out. I will turn on headlights in a car park to alert others I am there when I can't see through the 'truck' parked next to me. Also I always park with one side next to a hazard (e.g. a pillar, a walkway, a wall, a kerb etc) which means I am never sandwiched between two bigger vehicles.

There are a lot more rules and regulations with regarding the road and vehicles, the book is a real big one that the public dont get to see unless it is produced in a court matter, but that doesnt mean you get to read it.... THATS NOT ALOUD... each time a new law is passed it is printed in the newspaper and if you didnt see it or read it thats tough titties as ignorance of the law is no excuse when it comes to being charged with an offence.... Governments and the law are Lovely people arnt they....... NOT.... how else do they raise extra coin.
The Road Traffic Act is updated and available on Google search. You are right there is a LOT of info.

Good Idea. Safety first.

What on earth is a rode code - something to do with riding a horse or a donkey or doing a roadeyo on a
I never ever park where I have to reverse out into traffic either in a carpark or a road. I would rather hold up traffic for an extra 10 seconds whilst I reverse in than risk getting sideswiped on the way out. I will turn on headlights in a car park to alert others I am there when I can't see through the 'truck' parked next to me. Also I always park with one side next to a hazard (e.g. a pillar, a walkway, a wall, a kerb etc) which means I am never sandwiched between two bigger vehicles.
I beg to differ. I am aware of Police Motor Cyclists, Police Vans and Police Vehicles each and every time I Drive.
There see traffic police and other police everywhere in Perth and in general are in non identifying unmarked cars . They drive s Ranger if ordinary vehicles to blend in and you only notice them when they out the light unit on top of the roof off the car just before they drive off with flashing lights... i give respect where respect is due and they are public servants and indeed they put their lives on the line each day ad they leave their homes for work. Its true to say they may have their highs and lows and perhaps some members who disappoint but tell me who in society and even in our own circle of friends including ourselves doesn't make errors of judgement..

I can remember more than 50 years ago, reading a story in 'The West Australian', here in W.A. about a person driving a vehicle with an elbow resting on the window sill & the car rolled. The result was as stated above, the loss of part of a limb. What scares me more is those drivers who could be seen driving with a right arm fully out the window hanging perpendicularly pointing to the road.

Common sense should be enough to tell people not to do this while driving.

there are no police on W.A roads .believe me that's a nothing issue to what laws are broken on W.A roads
In the early eighties I walked into a Darwin police station, after work and said to the very busy desk sergeant, "I'm here to renew my driver's license mate, I didn't realize it had expired."

He looked up, motioned to another desk with a back handed gesture and said "Pay over there.

I said "don't I need to do another test? He said "you drove here didn't you!" and went back to writing. I paid and left

Reactions: Ezzy
At the Seniors Discount Club, we love to share some interesting – and, at times, surprising – facts with our members. This week, we stumbled across a little-known road rule that will have you watching where you put your arm the next time you're driving.

An Aussie driver shared a story about a police officer silently gesturing at her as she waved to a neighbour with her arm out the car window. As it turns out, she was inadvertently breaking an obscure road rule – and she's not alone!

Yes, you read that correctly! According to Budget Direct, something as simple as waving your arm out of the car window or resting it on the door ledge while you drive could land you a wallet-crushing fine of $337 and a loss of three demerit points.

View attachment 21529
Drivers who put their arms outside of their cars while driving can get a $337 fine. Credit: Pexels/Adrien Olichon.

The insurer explains: 'According to all state and territories' driving regulations, it is illegal for any part of your body to be outside a moving vehicle at any time.'

So, remember not to poke your arm out the window for a friendly wave. Instead, stick to the safer and legal option of displaying your goodbye from within the vehicle.

However, do note that if you are signalling that you are turning right, slowing down or stopping using your arm, then authorities will grant you a pass.

Budget Direct has also highlighted some other lesser-known road rules that you might want to consider if you haven't already heard of them:

Driving with a dog or pet on your lap: It's illegal in all states and territories to drive with a pet on your lap. Not only could this put other drivers at risk due to a potential obstruction of the view or interference with your driving, but your beloved pet could also be seriously harmed in the event of an accident.

The law is crystal clear: no animal, no matter how tiny, should be on the driver's lap while the vehicle is in motion.

Excessive car horn usage: Do you find yourself honking your car horn more often than not?

Be careful! It is illegal to use your horn across all of Australia unless you are warning other drivers that your vehicle is approaching, trying to get animals off the road, or using it as part of an anti-theft or alcohol interlock device. In all other situations, you might just be breaking the law!

Key Takeaways

• Australian drivers are being warned not to wave an arm out of their car window, as it could result in a hefty $337 fine and a loss of three demerit points.
  • It is illegal for any part of the body to be outside a moving vehicle at any time, according to Budget Direct, who warned that passengers could also face the same penalties.
    Drivers are encouraged to wave inside the vehicle to avoid fines and should note that using their arm to signal turning, slowing down, or stopping is allowed.
  • Other little-known rules include not driving with a pet on your lap and using your car horn only to warn other drivers, get animals off the road, or as part of an anti-theft or alcohol interlock device.

These eye-opening legal titbits serve as a reminder that whenever you get behind the wheel, it's always good to brush up on your knowledge of traffic rules and regulations – no matter how experienced a driver you may be.

And while it's always necessary to abide by the law, staying aware and safe should be your top priority. Stay safe out there, dear members, and happy

View attachment 21529

Key Takeaways

And while it's always necessary to abide by the law, staying aware and safe should be your top priority. Stay safe out there, dear members, and happy driving always!
I understand the rule for no part of body outside the vehicle but being booked for simply waving to your neighbour is pathetic.

I'm glad things changed, back when I was seventeen 'IT WAS A REQUIREMENT" amongst the crowd of guys that I hung out with that we needed to provide PROOF that our vehicles could do the ton. Thats a hundred miles an hour.

Most straight Western Australian backroads back then, had only a strip of bitumen in the middle and the rest was gravel.

Taking a picture of the odometer, with one hand while staying centered was imperative. Different days. I was only a young Carpentry apprentice. Every Friday after work, we sat on building sites drinking cartons of beer with bricklayers.

No incidents or accidents that I can recall, but dumb stupid and moronic is how I would describe doing it now.

It's a good thing society evolves us into being more responsible. Back then in W.A, life was consistently, very wild.

I knew this rule way back in 1955 when I got my licence.
A sidetrack - the photo shown in this item, they should be breaking the law also. I hope those items on the dash are fixed to it. Otherwise, they are dangerous items in an accident.

Reactions: Ezzy and Pink lion
Mmmmm.....seems the police need to make up for the fines they did not collect during the "pandemic we had to have". Disgraceful behaviour. And the fines are not $50 or $100 but $300 and over and to top it off you loose not 1 BUT 3 demerit points. Again....disgraceful behaviour by the police.
Maate, they have to get the money from somewhere.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Pink lion
It all depends on which papers though. Not all of them do especially if you live in the Country

• Love
Reactions: Tipsy and Ezzy
I beg to differ. I am aware of Police Motor Cyclists, Police Vans and Police Vehicles each and every time I Drive.
VERY FIRST day I used my Driver's license to go to work I ended up in the middle of what felt like a police parade.

I finished work on the construction site, approached the hwy, saw two motorbike police go past and then I pulled out into the traffic and then one by one, about twenty or more police on motorcycles from the police training academy just down the road poured past me. There was a LOT of them.

I was scared shirt less as it was my VERY first day at work with my p plates on.