Are women getting lung cancer at alarming rates compared to men?

New research from the US revealed a higher rate of lung cancer diagnoses in young and middle-aged women compared to men, and scientists are struggling to understand why.

Experts say awareness of the disease’s effects on women is lacking, and the government spends significantly less on its research than on similar studies in men.

‘When you ask people what the No.1 cancer killer of women is, most will say that it’s breast cancer. It’s not. It’s lung cancer. Lung cancer is a women’s health disease, but we clearly need to educate more people about it,’ said American Lung Association (ALA) spokesperson, radiation oncologist Dr Andrea McKee.

Back home, the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare's 2021 data showed that lung cancer ranked as the primary cause of cancer-related deaths among women and the fourth most common cause of death overall.

The disease claimed the lives of 3,706 Australian women in that year.

This week, McKee participated in the GO2 for Lung Cancer Conference, where experts and advocates addressed the disparities faced by women with lung cancer and discussed strategies to raise awareness about this ‘hidden’ women's cancer.

Approximately 164 women lose their lives to this significant problem each day.

According to McKee, lung cancer has traditionally been viewed as a disease affecting older men. This perception is rooted in the fact that tobacco companies initially targeted men, who were the primary consumers of cigarettes—the leading cause of lung cancer.

cigarettes-83571_1280.jpg
Smoking was taboo for women until it became associated with female independence. Image source: Pixabay

Cigarettes were even included in military rations during World War II.

Historians also noted that smoking was largely considered taboo for women until it became associated with female independence. It was only then that tobacco companies started to take notice of women as a target demographic.

However, these shifts in smoking patterns don't fully explain the rise in lung cancer among women.

Despite a significant decline in smoking rates over the past few decades, the cancer rate among women has paradoxically increased, especially among those who have never smoked.

A recent study published in the journal JAMA Oncology found that women aged 35 to 54 were diagnosed with lung cancer at a higher rate than men of the same age range. The study included individuals diagnosed with lung cancer between 2000 and 2019.

One contributing factor is the greater decrease in the number of men developing lung cancer compared to women. The researchers attributed this decline to reduced exposure to workplace carcinogens. However, this cannot fully explain the observed changes.

The lack of clarity on the factor behind the gender trend in lung cancer has fueled efforts to secure more funding for in-depth studies. The aim is to identify these differences, allowing public health leaders to address specific issues with targeted interventions.

cancer-389921_1280.jpg
Lung cancer diagnoses in women have surged by 84 per cent over the past 43 years. Image source: Pixabay

Studies indicated that, in 2019, only 15 per cent of the research budget related to lung cancer specifically focused on females.

For this reason, many women were excluded from several extensive lung cancer studies, and before 1993, most clinical trial testing also overlooked women.

Studies revealed an 84 per cent increase in lung cancer diagnoses among women over the past 43 years, contrasting with a 36 per cent drop in men.

Notably, a significant portion of these women who developed lung cancer had never smoked. In fact, women who have never smoked are more than twice as likely as their male counterparts to be diagnosed with lung cancer.

Additional risk factors for lung cancer included: family history, exposure to secondhand smoke, radon, asbestos, pollution, and arsenic in drinking water.

The high fatality of lung cancer is attributed, in part, to its frequent late-stage diagnosis, making treatment more challenging, despite considerable progress in recent years.

Researchers aim to raise awareness among healthcare providers about gender disparities in lung cancer, stressing the need for awareness in monitoring the disease's impact on women.

Meanwhile, individuals can watch for signs of lung cancer, too. If you experience a persistent cough lasting more than six weeks, cough up blood, face shortness of breath or hoarseness for an extended period, or undergo unexplained weight loss, it’s important to consult with your doctor.
Key Takeaways

• More young and middle-aged women are being diagnosed with lung cancer at a higher rate than men, and scientists are unable to explain why.
  • Lung cancer is the leading cancer-related cause of death for women, though many falsely assume breast cancer to be the leading cause.
  • Despite the decline in smoking rates, the rate of lung cancer among women has increased, particularly among women who have never smoked.
  • Research and public health funding in the area of women and lung cancer has been lacking, and current calls are being made for increased funding and public awareness campaigns.
Members, how does this story resonate with you? Do you have any valuable tips for preventing lung cancer? Share your thoughts and insights in the comments below!

Sponsored
I had two aunties who died from lung cancer, neither ever smoked but their father did and so did two brothers, and several uncles. So it could have been from passive smoking as back then no one went outside to smoke. Maybe the smoke from the wood fire they lived with for most of their lives contributed. Or maybe it was just the fact that cancer runs in the family, breast cancer, lung cancer and liver and pancreatic cancer being most prevalent.

whso now they can't blame smoking anymore can they??
yes they can - unfortunately second hand smoke by parents's smoking during your childhood or spouse can and has caused female lung cancer (unfortunately I know this for sure)

New research from the US revealed a higher rate of lung cancer diagnoses in young and middle-aged women compared to men, and scientists are struggling to understand why.

Experts say awareness of the disease’s effects on women is lacking, and the government spends significantly less on its research than on similar studies in men.

‘When you ask people what the No.1 cancer killer of women is, most will say that it’s breast cancer. It’s not. It’s lung cancer. Lung cancer is a women’s health disease, but we clearly need to educate more people about it,’ said American Lung Association (ALA) spokesperson, radiation oncologist Dr Andrea McKee.

Back home, the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare's 2021 data showed that lung cancer ranked as the primary cause of cancer-related deaths among women and the fourth most common cause of death overall.

The disease claimed the lives of 3,706 Australian women in that year.

This week, McKee participated in the GO2 for Lung Cancer Conference, where experts and advocates addressed the disparities faced by women with lung cancer and discussed strategies to raise awareness about this ‘hidden’ women's cancer.

Approximately 164 women lose their lives to this significant problem each day.

According to McKee, lung cancer has traditionally been viewed as a disease affecting older men. This perception is rooted in the fact that tobacco companies initially targeted men, who were the primary consumers of cigarettes—the leading cause of lung cancer.

View attachment 32783
Smoking was taboo for women until it became associated with female independence. Image source: Pixabay

Cigarettes were even included in military rations during World War II.

Historians also noted that smoking was largely considered taboo for women until it became associated with female independence. It was only then that tobacco companies started to take notice of women as a target demographic.

However, these shifts in smoking patterns don't fully explain the rise in lung cancer among women.

Despite a significant decline in smoking rates over the past few decades, the cancer rate among women has paradoxically increased, especially among those who have never smoked.

A recent study published in the journal JAMA Oncology found that women aged 35 to 54 were diagnosed with lung cancer at a higher rate than men of the same age range. The study included individuals diagnosed with lung cancer between 2000 and 2019.

One contributing factor is the greater decrease in the number of men developing lung cancer compared to women. The researchers attributed this decline to reduced exposure to workplace carcinogens. However, this cannot fully explain the observed changes.

The lack of clarity on the factor behind the gender trend in lung cancer has fueled efforts to secure more funding for in-depth studies. The aim is to identify these differences, allowing public health leaders to address specific issues with targeted interventions.

View attachment 32782
Lung cancer diagnoses in women have surged by 84 per cent over the past 43 years. Image source: Pixabay

Studies indicated that, in 2019, only 15 per cent of the research budget related to lung cancer specifically focused on females.

For this reason, many women were excluded from several extensive lung cancer studies, and before 1993, most clinical trial testing also overlooked women.

Studies revealed an 84 per cent increase in lung cancer diagnoses among women over the past 43 years, contrasting with a 36 per cent drop in men.

Notably, a significant portion of these women who developed lung cancer had never smoked. In fact, women who have never smoked are more than twice as likely as their male counterparts to be diagnosed with lung cancer.

Additional risk factors for lung cancer included: family history, exposure to secondhand smoke, radon, asbestos, pollution, and arsenic in drinking water.

The high fatality of lung cancer is attributed, in part, to its frequent late-stage diagnosis, making treatment more challenging, despite considerable progress in recent years.

Researchers aim to raise awareness among healthcare providers about gender disparities in lung cancer, stressing the need for awareness in monitoring the disease's impact on women.

Meanwhile, individuals can watch for signs of lung cancer, too. If you experience a persistent cough lasting more than six weeks, cough up blood, face shortness of breath or hoarseness for an extended period, or undergo unexplained weight loss, it’s important to consult with your doctor.
Key Takeaways

• More young and middle-aged women are being diagnosed with lung cancer at a higher rate than men, and scientists are unable to explain why.
  • Lung cancer is the leading cancer-related cause of death for women, though many falsely assume breast cancer to be the leading cause.
  • Despite the decline in smoking rates, the rate of lung cancer among women has increased, particularly among women who have never smoked.
  • Research and public health funding in the area of women and lung cancer has been lacking, and current calls are being made for increased funding and public awareness campaigns.
Members, how does this story resonate with you? Do you have any valuable tips for preventing lung cancer? Share your thoughts and insights in the comments below!
I was diagnosed with Lung Cancer back in 2017, and the only way they found it was the massive pain in my stomach, and nothing stopped the pain, so they did an Ultrasound and they found it attached to my lung wall. I was then sent to the hospital where it was confirmed. I had 4 lots of radiation in 2 weeks, and then I had to do the checkups in the hospital. I was told it was in remission 2 years ago, so each day is a blessing to me. I had stopped smoking about 37 years ago, and unfortunately my next-door Neighbour in Public Housing, would sit right next to my front door and he was a chain smoker. I asked him to at least smoke out the back away from my door, and then he asked another Neighbour to smoke with him. So, double the trouble. Finally, he went into Age Care, just before I was diagnosed. That was the only way I knew I had developed Lung Cancer.