Are we losing our Aussie slang?

We Aussies have always had a way with words, and we are famed for it. Our charming use of the English language has fascinated and perplexed foreigners, especially when we have terms such as ‘budgie smugglers,’ ‘a few roos loose in the top paddock,’ and ‘in the nuddy’ in rotation. Just see how American late-night talk show host Conan O’Brien was amazed while trying to learn our distinct colloquialisms with Aussie voice and dialect coach Gabrielle Rogers:

Our ‘slanguage’ – or slang language – is deeply embedded in our culture. Its history is also long, going all the way to the earliest English settlements in Oz.

But is it slowly being phased out? Many older Aussies find that some of the slang they used no longer resonated with younger people. One member of the Australian forum on Reddit, a social news website, observed the same, leading them to muse with other Redditors.

In a post entitled ‘Are we losing our Aussie slang? Tell me I’m dreaming,’ they said: ‘I recently had a conversation with a younger person (20-something), where they talked about hiking and I mentioned that I’d always referred to it as ‘bush walking’. They thought I said ’Bush Week’ (which was funny in itself). I then explained to them what ‘Bush Week’ meant as they’d never heard of it, and I realised that I actually can’t recall the last time I used that term or heard it. It’s got me wondering what other Aussie sayings have been lost or are barely used anymore.’

Many took the chance to share our colourful phrases, such as ‘not here to f*** spiders,’ ‘Dry as a dead dingo's donga,’ ‘Going off like a frog in a sock,’ ‘Flat out like a lizard drinking,’ and ‘Mad as a cut snake’ – isn’t it delightful how we highlight the wonderful wildlife of Straya in our slang?

Others shared similar experiences to that of the original poster. One said: ‘A couple of years ago, a young shop assistant asked me if I needed any help. I told her I was “just having a gander”. She asked what I meant.’

Another posted: ‘I had a young (prob mid-20s) guy at work today look at me blankly when I told him I was going to "scarper”, he had never heard it before. I'm mid-30s and didn't think it that rare a term.’

One Redditor commented: ‘I've heard people use trash instead of rubbish. I started work at a new place and asked where the dunny was. They didn't know what I meant.’

lawrence-makoona-V0BmdlJgqEU-unsplash.jpg
Crikey! Our slang also makes for great protest signs that get the point across. Credit: Lawrence Makoona

Meanwhile, others gave their two cents about the possibility of Oz slowly losing its slang.

‘Are we losing our slang? Certainly, to some extent. Moving from regional areas to the city, it's shocking how big the differences are, to the point where I'd almost call it a separate dialect,’ one said.

Another Aussie expounded on the relationship between cities and slang: ‘Cities tend to be cultural melting pots, and slang doesn't really work that well when you're speaking to someone who is ESL and not familiar with it. I try to be inclusive when speaking to people and slang works against that in the city.’

Some Aussies were disappointed to see our vernacular lose its Australian touch. One frustrated Redditor said: ‘Everyone sounds American now. It's f**king depressing. I'm not even patriotic. I think patriotism is stupid. But I'll be buggered if I ever say sidewalk, trash can, candy, cookies unironically.’

‘Saying "First Responders" or any other cringe Americanism should result in a public flogging,’ another said, half-jokingly, we hope.

But a Redditor doing their PhD on the subject had something to say about slang and incorporating American vernacular into it: ‘So far, it's not dying but certainly changing. The fear of Americanisation is one that's been around for 100 years, so I wouldn't be worried. It plays a part in some of the changes, for sure, but it's been 100 years since and we're still not American. We're still making new unique words and phrases, and words like grouse and cobber, while appearing to disappear, tend to weirdly reemerge every couple of decades.’ In a piece on The Conversation, Kate Burridge and Howard Manns noted that the concern had existed since the 1920s when American talkies were introduced.

Slang, and language in general, is ever evolving. With globalisation and Oz being a multicultural country, the way our expressions go would surely change. Still, it doesn’t mean our identity is being wiped out, as one Redditor pointed out: ‘As it is, we're likely homogenising – as immigration and globalisation have their impacts – but we'll always retain a little something that is our own. But it probably won't be quite the same as what you grew up with.’

Another commenter made a good assertion: ‘I think slang, in general, is just an always changing thing. People in the States don't go around saying "groovy" or "radical" anymore. And with culture being more of a global thing, it will get homogenised.’

And we have our share of slang that has gone out of fashion, such as the Australian terms from the 19th century listed by Mental Floss. However, it could be interesting to use ‘off his kadoova’ and ‘to hump the swag’ in your everyday conversations. Who knows, it might catch on again!

The rich discussion only showed that while some words are becoming obsolete, our ‘slanguage’ is still alive and kicking. Heck, we even contribute to the global lexicon – ‘selfie’ is as Australian as they come! The original poster eventually added this edit: ‘By the looks of it, Aussie slang is here to stay. Though changing over time somewhat, it seems “she’ll be right, mate”!’

So, what do you think? Do you have delightful and unique Australian phrases you wish were used more today? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
We Aussies have always had a way with words, and we are famed for it. Our charming use of the English language has fascinated and perplexed foreigners, especially when we have terms such as ‘budgie smugglers,’ ‘a few roos loose in the top paddock,’ and ‘in the nuddy’ in rotation. Just see how American late-night talk show host Conan O’Brien was amazed while trying to learn our distinct colloquialisms with Aussie voice and dialect coach Gabrielle Rogers:

Our ‘slanguage’ – or slang language – is deeply embedded in our culture. Its history is also long, going all the way to the earliest English settlements in Oz.

But is it slowly being phased out? Many older Aussies find that some of the slang they used no longer resonated with younger people. One member of the Australian forum on Reddit, a social news website, observed the same, leading them to muse with other Redditors.

In a post entitled ‘Are we losing our Aussie slang? Tell me I’m dreaming,’ they said: ‘I recently had a conversation with a younger person (20-something), where they talked about hiking and I mentioned that I’d always referred to it as ‘bush walking’. They thought I said ’Bush Week’ (which was funny in itself). I then explained to them what ‘Bush Week’ meant as they’d never heard of it, and I realised that I actually can’t recall the last time I used that term or heard it. It’s got me wondering what other Aussie sayings have been lost or are barely used anymore.’

Many took the chance to share our colourful phrases, such as ‘not here to f*** spiders,’ ‘Dry as a dead dingo's donga,’ ‘Going off like a frog in a sock,’ ‘Flat out like a lizard drinking,’ and ‘Mad as a cut snake’ – isn’t it delightful how we highlight the wonderful wildlife of Straya in our slang?

Others shared similar experiences to that of the original poster. One said: ‘A couple of years ago, a young shop assistant asked me if I needed any help. I told her I was “just having a gander”. She asked what I meant.’

Another posted: ‘I had a young (prob mid-20s) guy at work today look at me blankly when I told him I was going to "scarper”, he had never heard it before. I'm mid-30s and didn't think it that rare a term.’

One Redditor commented: ‘I've heard people use trash instead of rubbish. I started work at a new place and asked where the dunny was. They didn't know what I meant.’

View attachment 6015
Crikey! Our slang also makes for great protest signs that get the point across. Credit: Lawrence Makoona

Meanwhile, others gave their two cents about the possibility of Oz slowly losing its slang.

‘Are we losing our slang? Certainly, to some extent. Moving from regional areas to the city, it's shocking how big the differences are, to the point where I'd almost call it a separate dialect,’ one said.

Another Aussie expounded on the relationship between cities and slang: ‘Cities tend to be cultural melting pots, and slang doesn't really work that well when you're speaking to someone who is ESL and not familiar with it. I try to be inclusive when speaking to people and slang works against that in the city.’

Some Aussies were disappointed to see our vernacular lose its Australian touch. One frustrated Redditor said: ‘Everyone sounds American now. It's f**king depressing. I'm not even patriotic. I think patriotism is stupid. But I'll be buggered if I ever say sidewalk, trash can, candy, cookies unironically.’

‘Saying "First Responders" or any other cringe Americanism should result in a public flogging,’ another said, half-jokingly, we hope.

But a Redditor doing their PhD on the subject had something to say about slang and incorporating American vernacular into it: ‘So far, it's not dying but certainly changing. The fear of Americanisation is one that's been around for 100 years, so I wouldn't be worried. It plays a part in some of the changes, for sure, but it's been 100 years since and we're still not American. We're still making new unique words and phrases, and words like grouse and cobber, while appearing to disappear, tend to weirdly reemerge every couple of decades.’ In a piece on The Conversation, Kate Burridge and Howard Manns noted that the concern had existed since the 1920s when American talkies were introduced.

Slang, and language in general, is ever evolving. With globalisation and Oz being a multicultural country, the way our expressions go would surely change. Still, it doesn’t mean our identity is being wiped out, as one Redditor pointed out: ‘As it is, we're likely homogenising – as immigration and globalisation have their impacts – but we'll always retain a little something that is our own. But it probably won't be quite the same as what you grew up with.’

Another commenter made a good assertion: ‘I think slang, in general, is just an always changing thing. People in the States don't go around saying "groovy" or "radical" anymore. And with culture being more of a global thing, it will get homogenised.’

And we have our share of slang that has gone out of fashion, such as the Australian terms from the 19th century listed by Mental Floss. However, it could be interesting to use ‘off his kadoova’ and ‘to hump the swag’ in your everyday conversations. Who knows, it might catch on again!

The rich discussion only showed that while some words are becoming obsolete, our ‘slanguage’ is still alive and kicking. Heck, we even contribute to the global lexicon – ‘selfie’ is as Australian as they come! The original poster eventually added this edit: ‘By the looks of it, Aussie slang is here to stay. Though changing over time somewhat, it seems “she’ll be right, mate”!’

So, what do you think? Do you have delightful and unique Australian phrases you wish were used more today? Let us know in the comments!

Geeze mate their having a Barney or blue

Remember when we called red-headed people "Bluey" or "Blue".
We called very tall people "Tiny".
Crikey (via Steve Irwin) seems to be fading.
Our strine makes us Aussies from Down Under, and we know how to enjoy the best Barbies, provided we can shoo the blowies away, and we are all bonza mates and cobbers.
We love our bush telly when camping, when we don't wear our lippie, but we do need our sunnies.
Have to be on the lookout for drop bears.
Don't want to be called a drongo.
And no, I'm not a few bob short of a pound!
Our brekkie might have been caught in the river, or we may have collected mushies, no matter...they don't cost big bikkies. We might have some snags and bum nuts with us.
Blimey, that Esky weighs a ton.
We might spin the billy for our cuppa.
We might spot a few roos as we slug a coldie.
We might need our togs or swim in the nuddy, but we'll need our thongs.
No doubt there'll be tons of mozzies, but we don't care as we leave the hard Yakka behind.
As we do a u-ey to come home from woop woop, we might contemplate taking a sickie.
We might have Macca's for grub, hoping we do not pass a booze bus. Otherwise, we'll be as mad as a cut snake.
Fair suck o' the sauce bottle, fair dinkum,
strewth.....I'm done! I don't want to fall off my perch.

Last edited:
I think with all the different cultures and older Aussies getting older we are losing our stage.

Funny I was in MSN group with mainly Americans and they often said they found me confusing that I used to much slang which I know I didn't.😉

When I was young I remember saying things like B Go when someone was looking at me.

I remember calling police Pigs ..oh my

I remember saying Cool alot.

Sling o

Geeze mate their having a Barney or blue
My biggest concern is that fact that so many men and women are unable to conduct a conversation without using f's and c's in almost every sentence. I note the author of the article could not resist throwing in them as well. It shows a very poor vocabulary and a lack of command of the English language let alone the Aussie slang. It is enough to get a person down in the dumps. Blimey Charlie

You only have to watch Four Weddings and a Funeral, ugh! I really do hate those words in everyday language.
I prefer to read books and watch movies from the fifties and before, because of the current bad language.

My biggest concern is that fact that so many men and women are unable to conduct a conversation without using f's and c's in almost every sentence. I note the author of the article could not resist throwing in them as well. It shows a very poor vocabulary and a lack of command of the English language let alone the Aussie slang. It is enough to get a person down in the dumps. Blimey Charlie
It has actually become part of young people's language. I have even been ask , who made it a swear word , it's only a word although they actually don't like the C word but they live the F word

Reactions: terri
You only have to watch Four Weddings and a Funeral, ugh! I really do hate those words in everyday language.
I prefer to read books and watch movies from the fifties and before, because of the current bad language.
I agree my wife and daughter recently went to the movies and walked out after 20 minutes because of the language. Difficult to watch TV these days due to the inability of the actors to express themselves without cursing. Most disappointing to see more and more women on the slippery slope.

Reactions: terri
Thank you for this article it really brings back memories and part of our culture.

Cosies or swimmers ...swimming costumes

Arvo .... afternoon.

Bloody oath... ... true or yes

Choc o block or Choco's ...... full

Daks ....... trousers

Hard Yacka ..... hard work.

How can anyone not know what we ard talking about

Blimey my Pa talked like this all the time

Reactions: Chris and OssiePete
WARNING: this MIGHT offend some people (of course it will & they will be very vocal that it does..hohummm) - DRY as a dead dingos donger! ;)

View attachment 6015

When I came to Australia back in 1966 I loved using ‘any tick of the clock’ and ‘sticky beak’. I threw them into the conversation whenever I could. Jean

You would appreciate this saying from my father "swearing is a pathetic attempt by the word poor to express themselves". He respected a politician from years ago (his name escapes me at the moment) who he said "could insult you and you didn't realise it, until you looked it up!"

Just go to a pub in a small country town and listen to the locals, you'll hear plenty of Aussie slang!
One of my favourites is "Suffer in yer jocks", thanks to Darryl Kerrigan in The Castle. But it was actually a common phrase in the schoolyard when I was at high school!

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Some favourite terms for "not being all there"

A few palings shot of a fence
Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Ninety cents in the dollar
Roos in the top paddock -
And of course the archetypal English one -bats in the belfry.

Back in the early '80's I was on a platform at Sydney Central Station (now Sydney Terminal) when a totally unintelligible message came across the loudspeaker. One of the announcer's workmates picked up on it and remarked " Yer off it, Blue."

Reactions: Suzanne rose