Are the days of ‘feeding a family for $10’ long gone?

Back in March, we covered a growing joke on the internet regarding celebrity chef Curtis Stone and his infamous ‘Feed your family of four for under $10’ Coles ad. Want a refresher? I’ve included it below.

Source: YouTube / OzLandTV​

This topic is once again doing the rounds, and this time, it’s worse than $10 shredded cheese.

Screen Shot 2024-06-26 at 4.25.12 pm.png
Image Credit: Reddit/mskate2508

The post garnered a lot of attention. Notably, the non-sale price of Curtis Stones’ Vanilla Key Lime Pie Cadbury block is $6 a pop. ‘Well, that’s one way to feed your family for under $10’, said the image poster.

Besides the abhorrent price of the chocolate block, there was another blaring issue pointed out.

‘Key lime pie is US, ’ said one commenter.

‘Do we even have Key Lime Pie in Australia? I’ve never seen one, and I don’t know of anyone eating them here.’ added another.

Members, have you ever tried Key Lime Pie? I’ll admit, I haven’t.

Now, I promise I’m not just here to whinge! While we’re on the topic of $10 meals, I suggest you check out our Cooking/Recipe forum for fantastic recipes from far and wide on the internet, and some from our very own members.

Here are a few of my top picks to get you started:

Shepherds Pie at $2.20 a serve
Vegetarian Lentil Soup under $3 a serve
Two-ingredient Pumpkin Scones
Lazy Day Baked Pancakes

Do you have any budget recipes you recommend? Let me know in the comments below! This winter, I’ve certainly been taking advantage of canned soup sales for a cheap and easy dinner, but I much prefer to eat something homemade when I have the time and money.

Sponsored
I used to buy a BBQ chicken, have the wings and Maryland cuts with either roast vegies or salad
I then shred the breast, using one for Nasi Goreng. One packet of the noodles is enough for two people, I use carrot,celery, onion, capsicum and bokchoy.Top with an egg each.
With the other breast add a can of cream of chicken soup, onion, ham or bacon, or alternatively add a can of asparagus. Heat up and serve with pasta.
If you like Mexican, you can add a can of tomato soup, corn kernels, kidney beans, chilli sauce, even add capsicum and onion if you like,mix together, top with cheese and heat in oven. Serve with rice or pasta.
Works out even cheaper if you buy a 2kg bag of drumsticks from Aldi, for around $7 and cook them yourself instead
of the BBQ chicken. Gives you lot more chicken.

Dammit, if we grub around in assorted waste bins and don't get arrested we can eat for FREE! Christmas is a good time for that; it's when people chuck out half-eaten turkeys.

Reactions: Littleboy8 and Gsr
My quick, cheap go to if I’m in a hurry is 500g minced meat, dry fry it, add a packet of uncle Ben’s golden vegetable rice and a can of tomato soup for one. Enough for 3 good sized servings. I swap out the soup for pumpkin or minestrone as a change. Hubby, grandson and I all enjoy it. If grandson isnt home the leftover is nice heated up on toast for breakfast or lunch.

In 1972 I could buy a side of "lamb" from the local Kiwi butcher for $3, 34c for butter, 98c for a dozen eggs and 9c for a loaf of bread and 4c for a pint of milk. So yes, I could feed my family for a bit less than $10, 52 years ago.

Reactions: Gsr and Littleboy8
In 1972 I could buy a side of "lamb" from the local Kiwi butcher for $3, 34c for butter, 98c for a dozen eggs and 9c for a loaf of bread and 4c for a pint of milk. So yes, I could feed my family for a bit less than $10, 52 years ago.
And the minimum award wage would have been about $72 per week?

Reactions: Gsr and Littleboy8
If it was $72 per week that would have been just on $3744 pa and that would have been 3 years wages to pay off a decent villa-style older 3BRhouse on a 1/4acre block in the city centre region of Auckland NZ . A friend was on about $6000pa, he was in the Public Service. A bloke I met running his cleaning business said he was pulling in $35 000 pa. Suffice it to say on $10per week one could buy adequate groceries to buy a basic but adequate diet. That is 2 cups of coffee these days.

Reactions: Gsr
If it was $72 per week that would have been just on $3744 pa and that would have been 3 years wages to pay off a decent villa-style older 3BRhouse on a 1/4acre block in the city centre region of Auckland NZ . A friend was on about $6000pa, he was in the Public Service. A bloke I met running his cleaning business said he was pulling in $35 000 pa. Suffice it to say on $10per week one could buy adequate groceries to buy a basic but adequate diet. That is 2 cups of coffee these days.
True that. I was comparing to low income. I think medium house prices might have been around $20-30K, bit of a guess - I was too young to be feeding a family or buying a house. LOL