Are Senior Aussies Really Tech-Challenged? Debunking the Myth!

In a recent discussion on the popular UK forum GransNet, a user shared an encounter with a local real estate agent who claimed that their house wasn't selling because older people, who might be interested, ‘don't go online’. This sparked a heated debate amongst forum members, spearheaded by seniors debunking the stereotype surrounding their generation's alleged lack of technological prowess.

shutterstock_380726641 (1).jpg
Aussie seniors can use the internet; in fact, they invented it. Image source: Shutterstock.

In this article, we'll explore the opinions shared on this hotly debated topic, quoting forum members as they shed light on the capabilities of seniors in the digital realm.

The original poster shared their story, stating, ‘A local real estate agent told my client the other day: “Your house isn’t selling because older people who might be interested don’t go online.” Hello? My husband and I have a serious realestate.com.au addiction!"’ This seemingly ageist statement from the real estate agent triggered a response from forum members who were eager to share their experiences and debunk misconceptions about seniors and technology.

One forum commenter responded, ‘I started using computers in 1964, so possibly before that estate agent was born.’ Another member, aged 77, wrote, ‘I know I am not computer savvy, but I do online banking and heaven knows what else on it. We are not all totally thick or uninterested.’ These comments emphasise that many seniors have been engaging with technology since its earliest days and are more than capable of navigating the digital world.

Others chimed in, criticising the real estate agent for their sweeping statement. A respondent wrote, ‘I would have challenged him and asked the basis of his statement, as I do with anyone who makes ridiculous sweeping statements.’ Another supported that sentiment, saying, ‘Just another lazy generalisation.’ Several users labelled the statement as ‘so ageist’ and noted that they would have directly confronted the real estate agent for their narrow-minded view.

Some forum members admitted that they may not have been as adept with online shopping prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, but the global crisis accelerated their digital transformation. One such member shared, ‘I certainly didn’t use the internet for buying things until the pandemic, albeit browsing it to decide what to go shopping to buy.’

Moreover, several poignant comments drew attention to the fact that seniors of today have often played a large role in the development of modern technology. As one commenter noted, ‘Our generation invented the internet, and mobile phones and personal computers.’ Another added, ‘My 94-year-old father-in-law bought himself a new iPad recently as his old one wouldn’t accept the latest software updates. He banks, orders from the delicatessen(!), shops on Amazon, use email, WhatsApp, and is on Facebook. Older people don’t go online?!!!’

Another chimed in with their credentials, saying, ‘These idiots forget - who invented all this stuff? How old is Steve Wozniak now? And Tim Berners-Lee... Sheesh. I had a long IT career, then went off MS when Win10 came along and revisited Linux, been running it for years now. As for online… I wrote my own website when I had my own business, never mind looking at house ads on the net.’

Based on these comments, it seems that the real estate agent's assumption about seniors lacking technological know-how is far from accurate. The members of the GransNet forum serve as a testament to a generation who are not only comfortable using technology but were key drivers in its development.

Clearly, the stereotype of seniors being unable to keep up with technology appears to be largely unfounded or, at the very least, based on sweeping generalisations. With that in mind, we invite you to share your opinions and experiences below: Are Aussie seniors given enough credit for their technological prowess? Does the real estate agent's view stand on its own, or is it representative of the broader beliefs held by society? Share your thoughts with us below and join the conversation!

Reactions: Mickbear88
Sponsored
Like others I first used a computer in the late 70's, it took up an entire room with whirring banks for data collection. I thought everyone my age was at least semi-computer literate until I moved to Tasmania. I have met loads of folks around my age who still have a land line and no mobile phone. Others have a mobile phone, but don't text and they certainly don't need a Smart phone. Tradesmen here have asked me the question "Do you know how to text?" What???? apparently they need to ask that question here. So perhaps there are pockets around the nation where that supposed stereotype is not unfounded.

In a recent discussion on the popular UK forum GransNet, a user shared an encounter with a local real estate agent who claimed that their house wasn't selling because older people, who might be interested, ‘don't go online’. This sparked a heated debate amongst forum members, spearheaded by seniors debunking the stereotype surrounding their generation's alleged lack of technological prowess.

View attachment 17352
Aussie seniors can use the internet; in fact, they invented it. Image source: Shutterstock.

In this article, we'll explore the opinions shared on this hotly debated topic, quoting forum members as they shed light on the capabilities of seniors in the digital realm.

The original poster shared their story, stating, ‘A local real estate agent told my client the other day: “Your house isn’t selling because older people who might be interested don’t go online.” Hello? My husband and I have a serious realestate.com.au addiction!"’ This seemingly ageist statement from the real estate agent triggered a response from forum members who were eager to share their experiences and debunk misconceptions about seniors and technology.

One forum commenter responded, ‘I started using computers in 1964, so possibly before that estate agent was born.’ Another member, aged 77, wrote, ‘I know I am not computer savvy, but I do online banking and heaven knows what else on it. We are not all totally thick or uninterested.’ These comments emphasise that many seniors have been engaging with technology since its earliest days and are more than capable of navigating the digital world.

Others chimed in, criticising the real estate agent for their sweeping statement. A respondent wrote, ‘I would have challenged him and asked the basis of his statement, as I do with anyone who makes ridiculous sweeping statements.’ Another supported that sentiment, saying, ‘Just another lazy generalisation.’ Several users labelled the statement as ‘so ageist’ and noted that they would have directly confronted the real estate agent for their narrow-minded view.

Some forum members admitted that they may not have been as adept with online shopping prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, but the global crisis accelerated their digital transformation. One such member shared, ‘I certainly didn’t use the internet for buying things until the pandemic, albeit browsing it to decide what to go shopping to buy.’

Moreover, several poignant comments drew attention to the fact that seniors of today have often played a large role in the development of modern technology. As one commenter noted, ‘Our generation invented the internet, and mobile phones and personal computers.’ Another added, ‘My 94-year-old father-in-law bought himself a new iPad recently as his old one wouldn’t accept the latest software updates. He banks, orders from the delicatessen(!), shops on Amazon, use email, WhatsApp, and is on Facebook. Older people don’t go online?!!!’

Another chimed in with their credentials, saying, ‘These idiots forget - who invented all this stuff? How old is Steve Wozniak now? And Tim Berners-Lee... Sheesh. I had a long IT career, then went off MS when Win10 came along and revisited Linux, been running it for years now. As for online… I wrote my own website when I had my own business, never mind looking at house ads on the net.’

Based on these comments, it seems that the real estate agent's assumption about seniors lacking technological know-how is far from accurate. The members of the GransNet forum serve as a testament to a generation who are not only comfortable using technology but were key drivers in its development.

Clearly, the stereotype of seniors being unable to keep up with technology appears to be largely unfounded or, at the very least, based on sweeping generalisations. With that in mind, we invite you to share your opinions and experiences below: Are Aussie seniors given enough credit for their technological prowess? Does the real estate agent's view stand on its own, or is it representative of the broader beliefs held by society? Share your thoughts with us below and join the conversation!

I think my fifty-plus years in the IT industry makes me a match for the kids today, all they have today we invented

I have to deal with seniors and technology everyday, for me its not that they do not understand as such it just they are afraid to break something and it may cost a lot to repair. Young ones don't seem to have that fear of paying our big hard earned dollars, so, they just have ago come what may.

Reactions: Gsr and Macarj
I love using apps on my phone and paying for stuff with my watch. I'm frankly impatient with people my age who claim they don't know how to do something with their phone (I remind them that they were not born knowing how to drive a car, either). I'm even more impatient with youngsters who, despite having their phones in their hands and been fiddling with it the whole time they have been waiting for me to serve them, they have done nothing useful – they could have got themselves the loyalty card for the place where I work, and saved themselves some $. I find this particularly frustrating when students are paying full price. I call it the laziness tax. Sometimes they even have the loyalty card but can't be bothered finding it on their phone. I don't think any of this is about age, I think it's about confidence and knowing how to play with your toys, and taking a bit of interest. I do my best to help people use their phones to get the discounts.

Reactions: terri and Macarj
I'm 66 and was involved with computerising our job Planning and Scheduling through the 80's so I'm not totally useless with technology

I was teaching when the first computers hit the schools, and we all learned and incorporated them into learning, long before these people were even born. As others have said, most have phones, do internet banking, shop online, participate in courses online and in groups of favourite hobbies eg art. etc etc. What an ignorant and native person this agent was.

I'm 66, and work online as a website consultant. I created my first website in 2005, done countless others since then. I qualified for, and received a tech scholarship last year. There were 40 people under 30 in the Zoom class, and me, lol. It went for 6 days a week for 5 weeks, including the mountains of homework. I now help businesses get better results from their websites, and I travel a lot - no fixed address - so I can work wherever I am as long as there is internet. What did we do without it?

View attachment 17352

I am 94 but use the computer for quite a few things, following my football team in the Uk, checking my bank account every working day to find what has gone out and what has come in and record it, the newspaper, sending greeting cards, Facebook, YouTube, Internet, Skype and purchases plus a few other things, fortunately my computer is connected to my son's computer in Canberra so if I get in a mess he can rectify things for me, I only wish I had all his computer knowledge

I was teaching when the first computers hit the schools, and we all learned and incorporated them into learning, long before these people were even born. As others have said, most have phones, do internet banking, shop online, participate in courses online and in groups of favourite hobbies eg art. etc etc. What an ignorant and native person this agent was.
Or maybe naive? Not native.

I am 94 but use the computer for quite a few things, following my football team in the Uk, checking my bank account every working day to find what has gone out and what has come in and record it, the newspaper, sending greeting cards, Facebook, YouTube, Internet, Skype and purchases plus a few other things, fortunately my computer is connected to my son's computer in Canberra so if I get in a mess he can rectify things for me, I only wish I had all his computer knowledge
Well done you at 94 👏🏻

Well, I try. I have a laptop, iPad and iPhone that I like to play with. I don’t worry if I stuff anything up, how hard can it be for the kids, grandkids to unstuff it. Must be hard as they all run for cover when I ask for their help to unstuff stuff. I still use store discount cards, Visa cards etc as I find it more convenient and quicker than the people I serve at work who have everything on apps and seem to always have issues getting the apps to work so they can get their discounts and pay with their phone or watch.

Reactions: Jennie
Good to read so many positive reports from people about their technical knowhow. (y) It makes a change from the remarks you get on here from some people writing about various subjects where technology is involved and their first response is "what about the old people" as if they're all incapable of doing anything.

My dad was 85 and was still ordering groceries online and knew how to use a smartphone. Not all 'oldies' are luddites.

View attachment 17352

View attachment 17352

I think young people are smart in some ways but don't have the common sense that us oldies have. Example-2 teenage relatives house keeping while we were away on holidy. When we got back they said the TV and the Aircon had stopped working. I found that they had pinched the AAA batteries from the remotes to run a game console. Duh! They also didn't realise you could turn these items on manually.