Are Bunnings’ sausage sizzles at risk? Find out what the company says

For those of you who like to kick back and enjoy Bunnings’s delicious sausage sizzles every now and then, this article is for you.

After reports of incoming food safety laws, many expressed their concerns that the much-loved Aussie treat would end.

However, the company has finally broken its silence about these concerns.

Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) recently introduced new requirements for people in the food service, catering and retail sectors to complete an online training course before they can handle food from December this year.

People believed this would signal an end for the Bunnings sausage sizzles, but the company has assured its customers that their 20-year tradition would continue.

photo (6).jpg
Bunnings assured customers that sausage sizzles will continue despite the new Food Standards code. Credit: Bunnings

‘We've been supporting thousands of local community groups via fundraising sausage sizzles for well over two decades,’ Director of Store Operations at Bunnings Ben Camire confirmed.

‘The fact many families make it a tradition to visit their local Bunnings store on the weekend, grab a snag and raise money for local causes brings our team a lot of joy,’ he added.

The new requirements to be imposed by Food Standards cite an exemption for charity events—like the Bunnings events.

‘If these are run as fundraising events, i.e. “an event that raises funds solely for a community or charitable cause and not for personal financial gain”, the requirements in Standard 3.2.2A will not apply,’ FSANZ explained.

Standard 3.2.2A refers to the code changes introducing training modules.

‘The exemption recognises fundraising events are often run by volunteers, on an ad hoc basis,’ they added. ‘However, organisations running fundraising events still have to ensure only safe and suitable food is sold.’

Mr Camire said: ‘As community groups host sausage sizzles at our stores for fundraising and charitable purposes, it's our understanding they're exempt from the new safety standards scheduled to come into effect later this year.’

Bunnings has also provided community groups with guidelines for their sausage sizzles to meet food handling requirements set by local councils.

‘The detail can vary depending on their location, but in general, this covers the safe handling and preparation of food,’ Mr Camire noted.

New Food Safety Laws in Australia and New Zealand

The FSANZ is introducing these laws with the goal of enhancing food service across the region, creating a safer, more informed, and professional food industry.

The laws, set to take effect in December 2023, mandate that anyone involved in the food service, catering, and retail sectors must complete an online training course in handling food.

This ensures that food safety measures are maintained at the highest standards, reducing the odds of foodborne illnesses. It also encourages everyone who handles food to follow standardised safety measures and hygiene practices.

The aim is to make food serving and purchase a reliable and safe experience for every consumer.

In terms of the online training, it would cover safe food handling practices, temperature control, kitchen hygiene, allergen management and more. This would set out a complete framework for anyone in the food service industry.

Key Takeaways
  • Bunnings has assured customers its beloved sausage sizzles will continue despite new food safety laws.
  • Food Standards Australia and New Zealand are introducing new requirements for people in the food service sector to undergo online training, sparking concerns for the future of Bunnings sausage sizzles.
  • Director of Store Operations at Bunnings, Ben Camire, confirmed the sausage sizzles will continue their 20-year tradition at stores and are exempt from the new safety standards.
  • The new Food Standards code includes an exemption for charity fundraising events, meaning Bunnings' sausage sizzles can continue as long as safe and suitable food is sold.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you frequent Bunnings sausage sizzle events? Share your experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
More bureaucratic bullshit from a self-perpetuating bureaucracy. Next there wil be $5000 courses on how to wash your hands, run by consultants in white gowns. Teach kids to be hygienic as they grow up; any parent can do that!

No wonder people these days suffer from assorted allergies; our immune systems are not trained early enough to cope with the natural environment
Yep let the kids play in the mud like ours did growing up etc they rarely got. sick and immunity built up and were health y. Now they ar e wrapped in cotton wool because parents rave too scared to let them play in nature.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
So much rubbish about food handling. I remember the school fetes and the CWA cake stalls that were stopped due to ridiculous over protective councils. How many of us suffered from food poisoning in those days. Very few I think. So much money was raised for charity by incredible home cooks and we all looked forward to good quality produce at farmers markets and roadside stalls. Yes we need to follow food safety guidelines but not to become paranoid. My mother always said you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die. What about children’s school playground lunches where we used to share with dirty hands each others food. I was never I’ll then. We lived in a poor agi cultural area of Britain and kitchens were not the clinical stations that we have today by any means. We never had sanitary wipes or sprays the most we used was elbow grease and soap and water. If you saw some commercial kitchens you would never eat out again.

Reactions: Leenie
So much rubbish about food handling. I remember the school fetes and the CWA cake stalls that were stopped due to ridiculous over protective councils. How many of us suffered from food poisoning in those days. Very few I think. So much money was raised for charity by incredible home cooks and we all looked forward to good quality produce at farmers markets and roadside stalls. Yes we need to follow food safety guidelines but not to become paranoid. My mother always said you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die. What about children’s school playground lunches where we used to share with dirty hands each others food. I was never I’ll then. We lived in a poor agi cultural area of Britain and kitchens were not the clinical stations that we have today by any means. We never had sanitary wipes or sprays the most we used was elbow grease and soap and water. If you saw some commercial kitchens you would never eat out again.
Exactly that is what a restaurant owner said on SDC a while ago . You ,only have to see some of the kitchens on tv grease and livestock running freely and this English chef trying to clean up the industry, who the hell would want to go to these places . Count me out.

For those of you who like to kick back and enjoy Bunnings’s delicious sausage sizzles every now and then, this article is for you.

After reports of incoming food safety laws, many expressed their concerns that the much-loved Aussie treat would end.

Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) recently introduced new requirements for people in the food service, catering and retail sectors to complete an online training course before they can handle food from December this year.

People believed this would signal an end for the Bunnings sausage sizzles, but the company has assured its customers that their 20-year tradition would continue.

View attachment 30728
Bunnings assured customers that sausage sizzles will continue despite the new Food Standards code. Credit: Bunnings

‘We've been supporting thousands of local community groups via fundraising sausage sizzles for well over two decades,’ Director of Store Operations at Bunnings Ben Camire confirmed.

‘The fact many families make it a tradition to visit their local Bunnings store on the weekend, grab a snag and raise money for local causes brings our team a lot of joy,’ he added.

The new requirements to be imposed by Food Standards cite an exemption for charity events—like the Bunnings events.

‘If these are run as fundraising events, i.e. “an event that raises funds solely for a community or charitable cause and not for personal financial gain”, the requirements in Standard 3.2.2A will not apply,’ FSANZ explained.

‘The exemption recognises fundraising events are often run by volunteers, on an ad hoc basis,’ they added. ‘However, organisations running fundraising events still have to ensure only safe and suitable food is sold.’

Mr Camire said: ‘As community groups host sausage sizzles at our stores for fundraising and charitable purposes, it's our understanding they're exempt from the new safety standards scheduled to come into effect later this year.’

Bunnings has also provided community groups with guidelines for their sausage sizzles to meet food handling requirements set by local councils.

‘The detail can vary depending on their location, but in general, this covers the safe handling and preparation of food,’ Mr Camire noted.

The FSANZ is introducing these laws with the goal of enhancing food service across the region, creating a safer, more informed, and professional food industry.

The laws, set to take effect in December 2023, mandate that anyone involved in the food service, catering, and retail sectors must complete an online training course in handling food.

This ensures that food safety measures are maintained at the highest standards, reducing the odds of foodborne illnesses. It also encourages everyone who handles food to follow standardised safety measures and hygiene practices.

The aim is to make food serving and purchase a reliable and safe experience for every consumer.

In terms of the online training, it would cover safe food handling practices, temperature control, kitchen hygiene, allergen management and more. This would set out a complete framework for anyone in the food service industry.

Key Takeaways

• Bunnings has assured customers its beloved sausage sizzles will continue despite new food safety laws.
  • Food Standards Australia and New Zealand are introducing new requirements for people in the food service sector to undergo online training, sparking concerns for the future of Bunnings sausage sizzles.
  • Director of Store Operations at Bunnings, Ben Camire, confirmed the sausage sizzles will continue their 20-year tradition at stores and are exempt from the new safety standards.
  • The new Food Standards code includes an exemption for charity fundraising events, meaning Bunnings' sausage sizzles can continue as long as safe and suitable food is sold.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you frequent Bunnings sausage sizzle events? Share your experience in the comments below!
Just leave us alone. It’s gone from getting a license to get a license to getting a license to get a license to get a license. Is there anything left to license?
It smells of more government control!!!

Just leave us alone. It’s gone from getting a license to get a license to getting a license to get a license to get a license. Is there anything left to license?
It smells of more government control!!!
control is their second name .

Speaking of Bunnings I have managed to get some Tricleanium only not the price SDC said $18-15 it was a whopping $29-99. I need to know what strength to use ,can some advise. Thank you.

some of these boards are over the top and bear no relation to the real world .Time they are reminded what they are there for and do just that.Who can remember the EGG BOARD the MILK BOARD the APPLE AND PEAR BOARD who made lots of every day people s life an absolute misery overstepping what they were supposed to do.Some local councils are of similar behavior way outside of what they are therefore..Good on Bunnings for the decision wish more companies did similar to these silly little rules a dose of common sense.
We had the potato board here in WA. Tons of potatoes wasted.

I think that it is just another set of rules to keep under employed people in jobs. AND has anyone ever got sick from a Bunnings Sausage Sizzle? Never one which I have volunteered at.
No I have not..had them for years for some reason they the best I have tasted and shall keep having one they are YUM YUM

Our local church has a sausage sizzle at Bunnings every once in awhile. So does the Men's Shed I'm a member of. At the shed we get a lunch. Do these new rules mean men's sheds and all other community groups and clubs will now be B Y O only?.

Wouldn't hurt if bunnings had a basic food safety memo for those running the stall. Maybe a reminder for those serving not to use their tissue with their glove on. Yes, I have seen it.
At the same time, they need to do food safety training in their own cafe. Staff members just walk off the floor and go and serve themselves. Really not appropriate in Food safety Standards.
Where on earth is Veggiepatch when you need him/her.
Bunnings Marroochedoor Qld has had a do's and donts for years , all pacipitents are given the rules , temp guages ,for eskys ,holding sausages onions , and patroled , Im from the Nambour Mens Shed one of our only incomes , and if this was to pass , a lot of chartable would find it hard , specially if this push for card only payments goes ahead CHEERS TESSIE

Bunnings Marroochedoor Qld has had a do's and donts for years , all pacipitents are given the rules , temp guages ,for eskys ,holding sausages onions , and patroled , Im from the Nambour Mens Shed one of our only incomes , and if this was to pass , a lot of chartable would find it hard , specially if this push for card only payments goes ahead CHEERS TESSIE
One thing missed when they run hands through their hair as you see on tv 👩‍🍳 cooking shows.disgusting habit.

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch

View attachment 30728

Key Takeaways

I no longer buy sausages or sausage meat anymore, but rather buy some Pork belly and shoulder then make my mine. That way I know exactly what's in the meat.

Card payments for a sausage sizzle? When will we see gold coin donations morph into gold credit card donations?