Are Bunnings’ sausage sizzles at risk? Find out what the company says

For those of you who like to kick back and enjoy Bunnings’s delicious sausage sizzles every now and then, this article is for you.

After reports of incoming food safety laws, many expressed their concerns that the much-loved Aussie treat would end.

However, the company has finally broken its silence about these concerns.

Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) recently introduced new requirements for people in the food service, catering and retail sectors to complete an online training course before they can handle food from December this year.

People believed this would signal an end for the Bunnings sausage sizzles, but the company has assured its customers that their 20-year tradition would continue.

photo (6).jpg
Bunnings assured customers that sausage sizzles will continue despite the new Food Standards code. Credit: Bunnings

‘We've been supporting thousands of local community groups via fundraising sausage sizzles for well over two decades,’ Director of Store Operations at Bunnings Ben Camire confirmed.

‘The fact many families make it a tradition to visit their local Bunnings store on the weekend, grab a snag and raise money for local causes brings our team a lot of joy,’ he added.

The new requirements to be imposed by Food Standards cite an exemption for charity events—like the Bunnings events.

‘If these are run as fundraising events, i.e. “an event that raises funds solely for a community or charitable cause and not for personal financial gain”, the requirements in Standard 3.2.2A will not apply,’ FSANZ explained.

Standard 3.2.2A refers to the code changes introducing training modules.

‘The exemption recognises fundraising events are often run by volunteers, on an ad hoc basis,’ they added. ‘However, organisations running fundraising events still have to ensure only safe and suitable food is sold.’

Mr Camire said: ‘As community groups host sausage sizzles at our stores for fundraising and charitable purposes, it's our understanding they're exempt from the new safety standards scheduled to come into effect later this year.’

Bunnings has also provided community groups with guidelines for their sausage sizzles to meet food handling requirements set by local councils.

‘The detail can vary depending on their location, but in general, this covers the safe handling and preparation of food,’ Mr Camire noted.

New Food Safety Laws in Australia and New Zealand

The FSANZ is introducing these laws with the goal of enhancing food service across the region, creating a safer, more informed, and professional food industry.

The laws, set to take effect in December 2023, mandate that anyone involved in the food service, catering, and retail sectors must complete an online training course in handling food.

This ensures that food safety measures are maintained at the highest standards, reducing the odds of foodborne illnesses. It also encourages everyone who handles food to follow standardised safety measures and hygiene practices.

The aim is to make food serving and purchase a reliable and safe experience for every consumer.

In terms of the online training, it would cover safe food handling practices, temperature control, kitchen hygiene, allergen management and more. This would set out a complete framework for anyone in the food service industry.

Key Takeaways
  • Bunnings has assured customers its beloved sausage sizzles will continue despite new food safety laws.
  • Food Standards Australia and New Zealand are introducing new requirements for people in the food service sector to undergo online training, sparking concerns for the future of Bunnings sausage sizzles.
  • Director of Store Operations at Bunnings, Ben Camire, confirmed the sausage sizzles will continue their 20-year tradition at stores and are exempt from the new safety standards.
  • The new Food Standards code includes an exemption for charity fundraising events, meaning Bunnings' sausage sizzles can continue as long as safe and suitable food is sold.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you frequent Bunnings sausage sizzle events? Share your experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
Chisholm TAFE offers the course SAFE FOOD HANDLING - HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY with the component SITXFSA001 - Use hygienic practices for food safety.

Will they go this far? How about Maccas, Dominos, Hungry Jacks, KFC and any other food outlet? I bet you that the cook at Jimmy Wang Fu's Chinese Restaurant at Chingvale doesn't have ANY food preparation training.

Reactions: Leenie
Chisholm TAFE offers the course SAFE FOOD HANDLING - HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY with the component SITXFSA001 - Use hygienic practices for food safety.

Will they go this far? How about Maccas, Dominos, Hungry Jacks, KFC and any other food outlet? I bet you that the cook at Jimmy Wang Fu's Chinese Restaurant at Chingvale doesn't have ANY food preparation training.
As the previous restaurant owner said on SDC if you could see in the back of some of these places your hair would stand on end ,he wrote on the forum recently.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I love the sausage sizzles that Bunnings have, its Iconic in my opinion. My right hand says "leave them be". Yes food handling should be taught on the other hand. Just because you are a charity, doesn't mean you shouldn't know the correct way in handling raw foods especially as contaminations are so easy. I understand its volunteers that make these sizzles work so well, they are always polite and generally happy souls. Its like the question "did the chicken come first... or the egg?" here we have the same dilema. Can I sit on the fence with this one please!

I love the sausage sizzles that Bunnings have, its Iconic in my opinion. My right hand says "leave them be". Yes food handling should be taught on the other hand. Just because you are a charity, doesn't mean you shouldn't know the correct way in handling raw foods especially as contaminations are so easy. I understand its volunteers that make these sizzles work so well, they are always polite and generally happy souls. Its like the question "did the chicken come first... or the egg?" here we have the same dilema. Can I sit on the fence with this one please!
You may

As the previous restaurant owner said on SDC if you could see in the back of some of these places your hair would stand on end ,he wrote on the forum recently.
Some years back, a mate went to the toilet at a Chinese restaurant in Sydney's Western Suburbs and was confronted with an elderly woman peeling prawns into a bucket while sitting on the toot!

• Wow
Reactions: Leenie and Angelzz
I agree. Take a look 30 years ago before all this OH & S legislation and such raised its ugly head. As a money grabbing ploy, I bet local councils will require all sausage sizzle volunteers to be licensed to operate at such venues. Even the Greater City of Dandenong Council (where I live) tried to ban sporting organisations from using deep fryers in their canteens. Supposedly for "health reasons". Well that fell like a lead balloon and was retracted soon after.

More bureaucratic bullshit from a self-perpetuating bureaucracy. Next there wil be $5000 courses on how to wash your hands, run by consultants in white gowns. Teach kids to be hygienic as they grow up; any parent can do that!

No wonder people these days suffer from assorted allergies; our immune systems are not trained early enough to cope with the natural environment

Some years back, a mate went to the toilet at a Chinese restaurant in Sydney's Western Suburbs and was confronted with an elderly woman peeling prawns into a bucket while sitting on the toot!
Try eating in a street-side restaurant in Vietnam. That's how the Vietnamese develop cast-iron stomachs and resistance to bugs from an early age. Having worked there, that's how I learnt that our hygienic society didn't fit me very well against stomach bugs. None of my counterparts ever had the troubles that I did and we all ate the same food cooked by the same people, drank the same water and slept in the same rooms.

I agree. Take a look 30 years ago before all this OH & S legislation and such raised its ugly head. As a money grabbing ploy, I bet local councils will require all sausage sizzle volunteers to be licensed to operate at such venues. Even the Greater City of Dandenong Council (where I live) tried to ban sporting organisations from using deep fryers in their canteens. Supposedly for "health reasons". Well that fell like a lead balloon and was retracted soon after.
Teach our kids that coughs and sneezes spread diseases and to wash their hands before eating or handling food, and enforce it every day whilst they are growing up. That's what parents used to do when I were a young lad.

Try eating in a street-side restaurant in Vietnam. That's how the Vietnamese develop cast-iron stomachs and resistance to bugs from an early age. Having worked there, that's how I learnt that our hygienic society didn't fit me very well against stomach bugs. None of my counterparts ever had the troubles that I did and we all ate the same food cooked by the same people, drank the same water and slept in the same rooms.
The 'Bali Belly' didn't get it's name for nothing. Contaminated water and food is the issue. Perhaps poor quality control?
Also, not everybody has a cast iron stomach - as they say. Allergies are passed down from the gene pool, just like cancer, diabetes etc etc. Those genes have a lot to answer for.

The 'Bali Belly' didn't get it's name for nothing. Contaminated water and food is the issue. Perhaps poor quality control?
Also, not everybody has a cast iron stomach - as they say. Allergies are passed down from the gene pool, just like cancer, diabetes etc etc. Those genes have a lot to answer for.
Yes. I had a mild case of Bali Belly in 1981. I didn't drink the water at all and attributed it to sucking on the ice served in my daily chilled strawberry milkshake.

I feel sick eeeew, that doesn’t surprise me . A friend told me while on holiday in Thailand? They had seafood dinner and while on the loo she saw fish etc swimming under her , and the dinner was thrown up .

• Wow
I feel sick eeeew, that doesn’t surprise me . A friend told me while on holiday in Thailand? They had seafood dinner and while on the loo she saw fish etc swimming under her , and the dinner was thrown up .
The fish swimming underneath are generally Bass fish. They feed on faeces and keep their waterways clear. And yes, they catch these fish for eating/selling also. A little known fact about the Bass.

Wahoooo Veggie... thanks for the invite Mwahs :)
Yep welcome you will love the camaraderie, we all have our opinions but don’t let the knockers deter you. You will love veggiepatch and her? humour,so welcome aboard.