An Aussie woman is disputing her $1000 driving offence, but some people think she deserved it – do you agree?

We all know that distracted driving is a huge problem on our roads.

We've seen the tragic consequences of it time and time again, so we're already well aware that there's no excuse for not paying attention to the task at hand when we're behind the wheel.

However, sometimes people do make mistakes. So what happens when you're caught out? Is there any leniency?

As one driver in Brisbane recently found out, the answer is usually a resounding 'no', especially if you've been caught red-handed with your hands off the wheel.

The woman in question posted to Facebook recently asking for advice from other users after she was hit with a hefty $1000 fine for using her mobile phone while driving – even though she claims she wasn't using her phone at all.

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 2.03.50 PM.png
One woman plans to contest her fine because she was not holding a 'phone' while driving. Credit: Facebook.

The driver explained that she had been using a rolling machine to roll a cigarette while driving down the Western Freeway at Mount Coot-Tha when she was pulled over and given the fine.

In the image she included with her post, we can see that she is holding an unknown object in her hand while neither of her hands are on the wheel.

'Would you take this to court?' the motorist asked Facebook users alongside the photo.

The fine she received stated that she had been holding a mobile phone or resting it on her body, but as she explained, it actually wasn't a phone - it was a rolling machine.

'You can clearly see it's not a phone,' she said.

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 2.03.44 PM.png
On October 12, she was caught on camera at Mount Coot-Tha on the Western Freeway. Credit: Google Maps.

In Queensland, using a mobile phone while driving carries a fine of $1,078 and four demerit points, so it's little wonder she was so upset at receiving the fine.

Many people who saw her post were quick to point out that she probably wasn't going to have much luck getting out of the fine, as she was technically still driving while distracted.

'You will still likely get done for driving while distracted and possibly more since it appears neither of your hands are on the steering wheel correctly,' one person wrote.

'Which would amount to dangerous operation of a motor vehicle,' another said.

However, the driver hit back, claiming her issue was in the details.

'I agree completely [that] I'm not innocent by a long shot, and I don't claim to be,' she wrote. 'But it's not a phone, so I'm being fined for the wrong thing. I can't be charged for something I didn't do.'

People agreed and urged the driver to fight the ticket, and some even said they had been able to successfully appeal their own fines.

'The fine is for driving using a mobile, they can't actually fine you for anything else,' one person wrote. 'I'd be arguing it.'

'Go fight it,' someone else commented. 'Love to see the outcome!'
Tip
It's better to play it safe and wait until you're parked before using anything that will cause you to take your hands off the wheel, as laws against distracted driving vary from state to state.
According to Queensland's Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR), drivers who believe they were unfairly penalised for an offence can inspect a high-resolution photograph of the ticket through the TMR portal.

'The camera's images are filtered by Artificial Intelligence software. If a possible offence is detected, the image is reviewed by an authorised TMR officer to determine if an offence has been committed,' said a spokesperson.

So, members, what do you think? Should this driver pay the fine, or do you think she has a solid case for contesting it? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

And while we're still talking about driving while distracted, here are some of the most common distractions that drivers face when they're out on the road; be aware of them!

Credit: Road Sense Australia.

Sponsored
I wonder what a family members of people killed on the road s by ignorant peopleWHO. do not obey road rules. Ok not on phone!! But admit BOTH HANDS OF STEERING WHEEL. SHOULD GET HIGHER CHARGE. WHERE IS HER BRAIN. Car are deadly weapons, rules are in place to keep people safe. If you want to smoke cigarette so badly,get of the road & do it. Stop endangering the lives of other people. Dangerous is the charge plus reckless endangerment of other people.

We've seen the tragic consequences of it time and time again, so we're already well aware that there's no excuse for not paying attention to the task at hand when we're behind the wheel.

However, sometimes people do make mistakes. So what happens when you're caught out? Is there any leniency?

As one driver in Brisbane recently found out, the answer is usually a resounding 'no', especially if you've been caught red-handed with your hands off the wheel.

The woman in question posted to Facebook recently asking for advice from other users after she was hit with a hefty $1000 fine for using her mobile phone while driving – even though she claims she wasn't using her phone at all.

View attachment 8090
One woman plans to contest her fine because she was not holding a 'phone' while driving. Credit: Facebook.

The driver explained that she had been using a rolling machine to roll a cigarette while driving down the Western Freeway at Mount Coot-Tha when she was pulled over and given the fine.

In the image she included with her post, we can see that she is holding an unknown object in her hand while neither of her hands are on the wheel.

'Would you take this to court?' the motorist asked Facebook users alongside the photo.

The fine she received stated that she had been holding a mobile phone or resting it on her body, but as she explained, it actually wasn't a phone - it was a rolling machine.

View attachment 8091
On October 12, she was caught on camera at Mount Coot-Tha on the Western Freeway. Credit: Google Maps.

In Queensland, using a mobile phone while driving carries a fine of $1,078 and four demerit points, so it's little wonder she was so upset at receiving the fine.

Many people who saw her post were quick to point out that she probably wasn't going to have much luck getting out of the fine, as she was technically still driving while distracted.

'You will still likely get done for driving while distracted and possibly more since it appears neither of your hands are on the steering wheel correctly,' one person wrote.

'I agree completely [that] I'm not innocent by a long shot, and I don't claim to be,' she wrote. 'But it's not a phone, so I'm being fined for the wrong thing. I can't be charged for something I didn't do.'

People agreed and urged the driver to fight the ticket, and some even said they had been able to successfully appeal their own fines.

'The fine is for driving using a mobile, they can't actually fine you for anything else,' one person wrote. 'I'd be arguing it.'

Tip
It's better to play it safe and wait until you're parked before using anything that will cause you to take your hands off the wheel, as laws against distracted driving vary from state to state.
According to Queensland's Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR), drivers who believe they were unfairly penalised for an offence can inspect a high-resolution photograph of the ticket through the TMR portal.

'The camera's images are filtered by Artificial Intelligence software. If a possible offence is detected, the image is reviewed by an authorised TMR officer to determine if an offence has been committed,' said a spokesperson.

So, members, what do you think? Should this driver pay the fine, or do you think she has a solid case for contesting it? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

And while we're still talking about driving while distracted, here are some of the most common distractions that drivers face when they're out on the road; be aware of them!

I think see needs to pay up and shut up. Trying to roll a cigarette while driving is just as dangerous as using a mobile phone

View attachment 8090

View attachment 8091

Tip

S

Really, do we need to give this any thought. Distracted driving has been a thing for years. Trouble is very few motorists in Queensland are actually pulled over. When they do get a fine, it's a whinge. Queensland's new slogan really should be. " Queensland, the State of lack of Enforcement". Bring on more enforcement, as the road toll and incidents continue to rise. Doing nothing is killing people. Yes, I do live in Queensland and see blatant abuse of road laws and lack of driving skill everyday.

Using a rolling machine is probably worse than using a mobile phone. I don't condone it and keep my phone in the glove box while I am driving. What happened before mobile phones? People didn't get and instant reply and life went on.
My take away is that the Qld Police uses artificial intelligence. They would need to seem as though most police are uniformed thugs that wouldn't have 2 neurones to rub together. They need all the help they can get.

Reactions: Ricci and Macarj
When driving a car you should be doing nothing else except focusing on the road and other traffic your speed your rear vision mirror and side mirrors and that's all

Reactions: Ricci
Really, do we need to give this any thought. Distracted driving has been a thing for years. Trouble is very few motorists in Queensland are actually pulled over. When they do get a fine, it's a whinge. Queensland's new slogan really should be. " Queensland, the State of lack of Enforcement". Bring on more enforcement, as the road toll and incidents continue to rise. Doing nothing is killing people. Yes, I do live in Queensland and see blatant abuse of road laws and lack of driving skill everyday.
Do you think that the rising road toll may have something to do with a huge increase of road users, vey low standards for getting your licence, if fact you don't even have to speak English which is so wrong to begin with. The roads are in state of disrepair with pot holes that you could just about loose your car in. Top that off with police that have "targets" to make with fines and an ego problem.
What could possibly go wrong?

Using a rolling machine is probably worse than using a mobile phone. I don't condone it and keep my phone in the glove box while I am driving. What happened before mobile phones? People didn't get and instant reply and life went on.
My take away is that the Qld Police uses artificial intelligence. They would need to seem as though most police are uniformed thugs that wouldn't have 2 neurones to rub together. They need all the help they can get.
You can't tar every cop with the 1 brush

View attachment 8090

View attachment 8091

Tip

I think the fine for using a mobile should be withdrawn if it shows that she wasn't using one but I think they should throw the book at her for using a rolling machine while driving. Surely this just as dangerous if not more than using a phone. Stupid woman should just shut up and take her punishment which is thoroughly deserved.

Reactions: Elbe and Ricci
Fine is well deserved! Pay the fine & stop whinging about it! You made that choice so pay the fine! You could’ve made cigarettes before getting in your car further more I don’t understand why people smoke in cars.

Phone, food, rolling machine - whatever. You're hands and attention were not on the road pay the fine and pay attention next time.

I do think the driver should have to pay the fine.
However, if the fine stipulates it's for holding a mobile phone, the issuing body could retract that fine and issue her with another for being distracted while driving, irresponsible driving or something which is appropriate.
(Both hands off the wheel and not watching the road are pretty dangerous in my book.)

Ro

View attachment 8090

View attachment 8091

Tip

Credit: Road Sense AustraliaRolling

Different issue.
This woman admits she was driving while distracted - just by rolling a cigarette rather than using a phone.
I wonder if you'd think differently if you or one of your loved ones had been injured or killed by her thoughtless actions.
Rolling a cigarette, I think they should double the fine she is definitely not concentrating on the road and as such is a danger...

Reactions: SandyM and Ricci
They need to amend the wording of the charge to include any object in people's hands that causes distraction & them not having both hands on the steering wheel when driving. Rolling a cigarette would, I believe, be even more distracting than using a mobile phone!

View attachment 8090

View attachment 8091

Tip

Yet if you were in trouble they would be the first you would turn to for help and expect them to run towards whatever danger you were in...

Reactions: Elbe and Ricci