Amid soaring demand, Bunnings' limited edition item resold at sky-high prices

The thrill of the hunt for exclusive merchandise can incite excitement among customers, with some willing to wake up at the crack of dawn or travel great distances to secure a coveted item.

This sentiment was palpable across Australia as Bunnings Warehouse released a limited edition item, only to sell out rapidly due to overwhelming demand.

The recent release of the Bluey Garden Gnomes collection by Bunnings, which retails at $19 per piece, has caused quite a stir among Australian shoppers.

The merchandise was crafted as a part of the collaboration between the hardware store and the popular Aussie kids show, and has been flying off the shelves, only to reappear online at exorbitant prices.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 104530.png
The new Bluey-themed collectibles have quickly sold out in some stores and are now selling on other websites for a much heftier price. Image: Reddit/Facebook

This has left many loyal customers frustrated and disappointed.

Bunnings has even temporarily altered six warehouses around Australia—and one in New Zealand—into Hammerbarn stores, an acknowledgement to a season 2 episode of the hit children’s show.

While other merchandise, including a Bluey Hammerbarn Tote Bag and Bucket Hat for $7 apiece, are also available for purchase, the Bluey Garden Gnomes have been the star attraction.

A Bunnings spokesperson confirmed to a news source that the gnomes were 'the most sought-after product' and that 'all floor stock sold out'.

Some stores even had to implement purchase limits due to the low stock levels.

However, the unusual demand for these items has led to a surge in online reselling, with some items being listed for over $100 each.

A quick search on eBay reveals over 100 listings for Bunnings’ Bluey garden gnome collection.

In some cases, full sets, which include all four gnomes and other merchandise, are being listed for a staggering $1,000.

This has sparked outrage among customers, with many taking to social media to express their frustration.

One person warned others to 'beware of eBay resellers' after noticing four gnomes selling for $400 on eBay—a large $324 markup.

Another user commented: 'Not sure what's worse, people profiting off this, or people willing to spend this much to get them.'

‘Not surprised, just disappointed that people are doing their usual thing with limited-run products. That's not the only listing, there's many, with individual gnomes starting at $100+,’ another pointed.

Commenting about the matter, some people agreed it’s an ‘absolute rip-off’, with one person saying ‘It wouldn't surprise me if the reason so many are sold out is because of eBay resellers profiteering.’

‘I really hope Bunnings has a second wave of stock ready to go just to crush these people,’ they added.

Others shared their troubles finding the gnomes in the store near them, with some claiming staff had told them people had been lining up when the items were first released.

‘I got my gnomes, went shopping and came back to 4 gnomes left,’ said one Bunnings shopper.

‘They sold out in under two hours. But they’re cute, I’m not surprised,’ she claimed.

Bunnings GM–Merchandise Adrian Pearce also apologised to customers who ‘missed out’ on picking up a garden gnome over the weekend.

He added that the team is ‘working hard’ to ensure additional stocks will start to be released again in selected stores ‘as quickly as possible’.

‘We are doing our best to ensure as many customers as possible have access to shop the range by selling products in-store only, and placing product limits on Bluey garden gnomes, however the popularity of Hammerbarn has exceeded our expectations,’ according to Pearce.

Bunnings is also ‘aware and disappointed’ to see the Bluey products ‘being posted for resale at extremely inflated prices’.

‘If you are unable to get a Bluey garden gnome this month, we are working with our supplier to get more into production and in-store this year,’ they added.

The reselling of ‘limited-edition’ items at preposterous prices is not a new phenomenon. People have seen it happen repeatedly with many collectibles, including those from supermarkets.

In 2020, a Woolworths Ooshie received a bid on eBay for almost $100k, while Woolies Fix-ems collectibles caused an online frenzy in 2022.

In 2018, parents were warned about Coles Little Shop resellers who were accused of using sneaky tricks to source free Christmas cases to sell.

The Bluey garden gnome saga serves as a reminder of the power of popular culture and the lengths some will go to make a quick buck.

So, what can you do if you missed out on the Bluey garden gnome hunt? Keep an eye on your local Bunnings store for restocks; remember, patience is a virtue.

It's also worth noting that paying inflated prices to resellers only encourages this kind of behaviour.

Instead, consider waiting for the next wave of stock, which Bunnings has assured is on its way.

Key Takeaways
  • Bunnings released a limited-edition Bluey-themed range of garden gnomes which sold out quickly both online and in-store.
  • Resellers have listed these highly sought-after items for sale at inflated prices on platforms like eBay.
  • Frustrated customers have expressed disappointment at missing out on the merchandise and at the actions of resellers.
  • Bunnings is aware of the situation and is working on getting additional stock into stores to meet demand and expressing disappointment over the resale at inflated prices.

What are your thoughts on this situation? Have you ever overpaid for a limited-edition item? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Number 1: If you buy something, you're entitled to resell it at whatever price the market will bear.
Number 2: Who would want to buy this junk, anyway?
Number 3: If you're silly enough to own these portable landfill decorations, whether bought at first hand or second hand at whatever price, then you can't whinge about your level of common sense.

I wouldn't pay $19 for the useless junk ! While idiots are stupid enough to pay these rip off scam artists over inflated prices then this will continue to happen, the same will happen again soon with the waste of paper cardboard pokemon rubbish Coles is giving away! A fool and his money are soon parted!

What's wrong with capitalism? The Price-gouge People resell everything they buy at a profit to themselves; why can't the individual? Bunnings buy the gnomes from somewhere and sell them at a profit. So what?

Reactions: terri
Number 1: If you buy something, you're entitled to resell it at whatever price the market will bear.
Number 2: Who would want to buy this junk, anyway?
Number 3: If you're silly enough to own these portable landfill decorations, whether bought at first hand or second hand at whatever price, then you can't whinge about your level of common sense.
I agree wholeheartedly. They are ugly as F 😀

If I had them to sell for that price and someone was silly enough to buy them then I’d snap their hand off for sure. I Don’t have any and if I did I’m sure if I did and I sold them I wouldn’t be very popular with my granddaughter lol

Channel 7 announces a brand new lifestyle show - the sister to Better Homes and Gardens. Commencing on 4 March is the first installment of "Better Gnomes With Hard Ons...."
A better opening date for this new viewing extravaganza (named Gnomes Married at First Naughty) would be April 1. And just think -- they wouldn't even have to employ new "stars", as the facial expressions are there already. As far as acting goes, they're Oscar material.

When resellers don't get the money they want they will most likely try to return them for a refund. Remember the toilet paper shortage, people were filling their SUV's with toilet paper in order to resell and make massive profits. When nobody bought it from them the scammers tried to return it to the shop for a reund and were told by the store managers to piss off. I hope Bunnings does the same or charge a massive restocking fee might pull them into line.