American takes a jab at Aussie parties and says to ‘skip the cheap part’

There's no denying that culture, customs and traditions are different worldwide, with everything from dining habits to party norms varying from one place to another.

However, when one American man discovered a particular Australian party rule, he found himself utterly taken aback.

The American attended an Australian gathering and was taken aback when he realised he could only drink what he brought.

He noted that, in the U.S., it is customary for the party organiser to supply the alcohol. If guests do bring additional drinks, it’s usually to add to the host’s pool of drinks.

‘My logic is: if you're going to have a party, why wouldn't you be an accommodating host and actually have drinks? If I have to bring my own drinks, I'd rather go to a [pub],’ he remarked.

shutterstock_1375964873.jpg
Is it or isn't it okay to ask people to BYO alcohol to events? Image source: Shutterstock.

In contrast, the norm at Australian home gatherings is primarily ‘BYO’, meaning attendees bring their own drinks unless informed otherwise.

The American observed, ‘Australians are very communal except when it comes to alcohol.’
He also recounted an ‘awkward’ incident at one such party.

‘So, some girl brought sparkling wine and she popped it, I got all excited and told her I'd have some. But she was shocked and said it was hers.’

‘She was going to put it down on the table with the other drinks but picked it up and took it with her to the other side of the room because she thought I was going to drink it. It was like she was in [Year 3].’

The American found the cultural difference genuinely perplexing.

‘The point is to gather people at your house. I'm just saying, that if I'm going to have to bring, pay for, and drink my own drinks with my friends—then let's just go to a bar and skip the cheap part. Honestly, it's childish,’ he expressed.

Yet, hundreds of Australians called out the American as being ‘cheap’ for such views.

‘I'm so embarrassed for you that you think this is noteworthy, have you not been out of the US before?’ One user asked.

‘Alcohol is very expensive in Australia, it would cost thousands to buy drinks for everyone,’ another pointed out.

‘Have you seen the prices of alcohol in Australia?! I can't afford to give my drinks away,’ a third commented.

‘Drinking at least $50 of alcohol per person is normal, how much do you think the host should be spending?’ A fourth asked.

Another chimed in, ‘You'd hate my group of friends, we all bring a plate of food as well.’

Key Takeaways

• An American named Brian has caused a stir by criticising the Australian habit of guests bringing their own alcohol to parties.
  • He claims that in the U.S., hosts usually provide drinks and any extra brought by guests is added to a communal supply.
  • Brian considered the Australian custom of bringing and drinking one's own alcohol as 'childish' and would rather go to a bar.
  • However, many Australians defended their habit, citing the high cost of alcohol in Australia and calling Brian ‘cheap’.

Members, what’s your take on this story? Have you ever thrown a party where you didn't ask guests to bring their own drinks, or maybe footed the bill for everyone's drinks at your get-togethers?

Let us know your experience in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
There's no denying that culture, customs and traditions are different worldwide, with everything from dining habits to party norms varying from one place to another.

However, when one American man discovered a particular Australian party rule, he found himself utterly taken aback.

The American attended an Australian gathering and was taken aback when he realised he could only drink what he brought.

He noted that, in the U.S., it is customary for the party organiser to supply the alcohol. If guests do bring additional drinks, it’s usually to add to the host’s pool of drinks.

‘My logic is: if you're going to have a party, why wouldn't you be an accommodating host and actually have drinks? If I have to bring my own drinks, I'd rather go to a [pub],’ he remarked.

View attachment 32978
Is it or isn't it okay to ask people to BYO alcohol to events? Image source: Shutterstock.

In contrast, the norm at Australian home gatherings is primarily ‘BYO’, meaning attendees bring their own drinks unless informed otherwise.

The American observed, ‘Australians are very communal except when it comes to alcohol.’

‘So, some girl brought sparkling wine and she popped it, I got all excited and told her I'd have some. But she was shocked and said it was hers.’

‘She was going to put it down on the table with the other drinks but picked it up and took it with her to the other side of the room because she thought I was going to drink it. It was like she was in [Year 3].’

‘The point is to gather people at your house. I'm just saying, that if I'm going to have to bring, pay for, and drink my own drinks with my friends—then let's just go to a bar and skip the cheap part. Honestly, it's childish,’ he expressed.

Yet, hundreds of Australians called out the American as being ‘cheap’ for such views.

‘I'm so embarrassed for you that you think this is noteworthy, have you not been out of the US before?’ One user asked.

‘Alcohol is very expensive in Australia, it would cost thousands to buy drinks for everyone,’ another pointed out.

‘Have you seen the prices of alcohol in Australia?! I can't afford to give my drinks away,’ a third commented.

‘Drinking at least $50 of alcohol per person is normal, how much do you think the host should be spending?’ A fourth asked.

Another chimed in, ‘You'd hate my group of friends, we all bring a plate of food as well.’

Key Takeaways

• An American named Brian has caused a stir by criticising the Australian habit of guests bringing their own alcohol to parties.
  • He claims that in the U.S., hosts usually provide drinks and any extra brought by guests is added to a communal supply.
  • Brian considered the Australian custom of bringing and drinking one's own alcohol as 'childish' and would rather go to a bar.
  • However, many Australians defended their habit, citing the high cost of alcohol in Australia and calling Brian ‘cheap’.

Members, what’s your take on this story? Have you ever thrown a party where you didn't ask guests to bring their own drinks, or maybe footed the bill for everyone's drinks at your get-togethers?

I think us Aussies have “get together” for no particular reason and happily all bring our meat for the barby and drinks. Unless being invited for Dinner Party where the host is making the meal etc but drinks always. I am glad Aussies keep this tradition going and don’t copy the yanks like we seem to be doing with everything else.

I think it is a good idea for everyone to supply their own drinks. I think peopl drink a lot more if the host suppliers the drinks, just because it is free, some just guzzle it down. Buying their own usually means they drink less. This also helps to lesson anti social drunk behaviour from party guests.

View attachment 32978

Key Takeaways

This Yank should get in the real world. The cost of alcohol is ridiculously high. The host provides the venue, music, food and nibblies and in some cases a swimming pool, spa or sauna, you bring yourself and the alcohol. My message to this American is please don't come to my party, you are a cheapskate!

View attachment 32978

Key Takeaways

On special occasions we would foot the bill for alcohol with some limits, but if it is a casual family and or friends get together, byo is the norm. Most people have their preferred drinks whether it be a particular beer, wine , spirit or non alcoholic drinks. There may also be health or medical reasons for byo, the same as food..our American friend has his blinkers on...

View attachment 32978

Key Takeaways

Don’t know what party,s he goes to but all in at any party I have been to.

Reactions: janj
We are an alcohol free household. A personal choice. We don't drink but don't lord it over folk who do.
So, when we have a get together by invitation, I always make sure it is BYOG. We happily supply soft drinks.
Some events I've had where people are drinking, they have to be ready to have car keys confiscated and stay overnight, even if it means camping in on the floor. Nobody on my watch will be allowed to get in a car under the influence.
I guess the American who has so much to winge about, also has money to burn. If he spends his social life expecting hosts to provide the alcohol, eventually he will most likely be staying at home more often than not.
When in Rome...do as tge Romans do.

View attachment 32978

Key Takeaways

you are lucky to be invited to a home. I have entertained several times and yet have to receive a return visit. I think this has become the norm for ALL DOWN UNDERS.

Reactions: Granny*Deb and janj
As an American/Australian I feel I can comment on this post. When in the States we bring drinks to a party, and we all share. If you bring a six pack, it's thrown into the cooler with all the rest and whoever wants can have one of whatever is there. Or they are placed on a common table, and everybody drinks whatever they wish. I think this is what the young man found so strange. No one seem to want to share. Drinks are expensive everywhere not just Australia. When I have a dinner party I don't partially like people to bring "things" as I have a menu planned, so I ask them to bring their own drinks. That way they are contributing, and I have my choice of food. I usually serve Champas or a soft drink when they arrive. After that, the drinks are placed on the table, and everything is shared. Most people drink their own but are happy to share if someone would like a drink of the bottle which they had brought. Again, as I have so often said its neither right nor wrong, just different. If everyone just tried to understand and not be so judgmental the world would be a better place.

View attachment 32978

Key Takeaways

In my experience, that's nonsense. Maybe it's an east coast thing but not in South Australia.

Reactions: Mrtnst

View attachment 32978

Key Takeaways

My experience has been that, in USA, three products stand out for their favourable pricing: alcoholic beverages; motor vehicle fuel ; firearms. It may seem appropriate for well armed seppoes to drive their gargantuan vehicles to a social event, get themselves tanked up on their host's beverages, before driving home or elsewhere with their guns, but it's a sad combination.

View attachment 32978

Key Takeaways

I used to invite people over to my home and always supplied drinks and food … now I don’t entertain as I used but still supply everything, my parents did it and when I invite people I invite them and not their food or drinks.

Reactions: magpie1

View attachment 32978

Key Takeaways

Depends on the Hosts expectations

Reactions: magpie1
As an American/Australian I feel I can comment on this post. When in the States we bring drinks to a party, and we all share. If you bring a six pack, it's thrown into the cooler with all the rest and whoever wants can have one of whatever is there. Or they are placed on a common table, and everybody drinks whatever they wish. I think this is what the young man found so strange. No one seem to want to share. Drinks are expensive everywhere not just Australia. When I have a dinner party I don't partially like people to bring "things" as I have a menu planned, so I ask them to bring their own drinks. That way they are contributing, and I have my choice of food. I usually serve Champas or a soft drink when they arrive. After that, the drinks are placed on the table, and everything is shared. Most people drink their own but are happy to share if someone would like a drink of the bottle which they had brought. Again, as I have so often said its neither right nor wrong, just different. If everyone just tried to understand and not be so judgmental the world would be a better place.
Well I think your Yankee friend was the one being judgemental.
It's OK sharing if everyone is bringing beer, but I don't like beer and I object to.taking a bottle of spirits to find after one drink that my spirits have disappeared compliments of the tightwads who bought beer, or sometimes nothing, but thought it was Ok to drink my spirits. It's definitely not OK , if you want to drink spirits BYO.