American takes a jab at Aussie parties and says to ‘skip the cheap part’

There's no denying that culture, customs and traditions are different worldwide, with everything from dining habits to party norms varying from one place to another.

However, when one American man discovered a particular Australian party rule, he found himself utterly taken aback.

The American attended an Australian gathering and was taken aback when he realised he could only drink what he brought.

He noted that, in the U.S., it is customary for the party organiser to supply the alcohol. If guests do bring additional drinks, it’s usually to add to the host’s pool of drinks.

‘My logic is: if you're going to have a party, why wouldn't you be an accommodating host and actually have drinks? If I have to bring my own drinks, I'd rather go to a [pub],’ he remarked.

shutterstock_1375964873.jpg
Is it or isn't it okay to ask people to BYO alcohol to events? Image source: Shutterstock.

In contrast, the norm at Australian home gatherings is primarily ‘BYO’, meaning attendees bring their own drinks unless informed otherwise.

The American observed, ‘Australians are very communal except when it comes to alcohol.’
He also recounted an ‘awkward’ incident at one such party.

‘So, some girl brought sparkling wine and she popped it, I got all excited and told her I'd have some. But she was shocked and said it was hers.’

‘She was going to put it down on the table with the other drinks but picked it up and took it with her to the other side of the room because she thought I was going to drink it. It was like she was in [Year 3].’

The American found the cultural difference genuinely perplexing.

‘The point is to gather people at your house. I'm just saying, that if I'm going to have to bring, pay for, and drink my own drinks with my friends—then let's just go to a bar and skip the cheap part. Honestly, it's childish,’ he expressed.

Yet, hundreds of Australians called out the American as being ‘cheap’ for such views.

‘I'm so embarrassed for you that you think this is noteworthy, have you not been out of the US before?’ One user asked.

‘Alcohol is very expensive in Australia, it would cost thousands to buy drinks for everyone,’ another pointed out.

‘Have you seen the prices of alcohol in Australia?! I can't afford to give my drinks away,’ a third commented.

‘Drinking at least $50 of alcohol per person is normal, how much do you think the host should be spending?’ A fourth asked.

Another chimed in, ‘You'd hate my group of friends, we all bring a plate of food as well.’

Key Takeaways

• An American named Brian has caused a stir by criticising the Australian habit of guests bringing their own alcohol to parties.
  • He claims that in the U.S., hosts usually provide drinks and any extra brought by guests is added to a communal supply.
  • Brian considered the Australian custom of bringing and drinking one's own alcohol as 'childish' and would rather go to a bar.
  • However, many Australians defended their habit, citing the high cost of alcohol in Australia and calling Brian ‘cheap’.

Members, what’s your take on this story? Have you ever thrown a party where you didn't ask guests to bring their own drinks, or maybe footed the bill for everyone's drinks at your get-togethers?

Let us know your experience in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Sounds like he doesn't receive too many return invitations.
He probably wants to drink your Top Shelf dry AND go the tonguey with your missus, too.
Since when has Seniordiscountclub become so raunchy - I thought you would have got manners by now . Maybe time to have a button to "report to admin" as does facebook.

Since when has Seniordiscountclub become so raunchy - I thought you would have got manners by now . Maybe time to have a button to "report to admin" as does facebook.
Oh dear moani 🤣 You must have your finger glued to the button on Facebook then🤔if you get so upset by things scroll past them.nobody is forcing you to read them. And no one is forcing you to be on Facebook.What are you the fun 👮‍♀️ 👮‍♂️ 🚓 get the paddy wagon.