Algorithms are pushing AI-generated falsehoods at an alarming rate. How do we stop this?

file-20240229-22-ki29m8.jpg

Tero Vesalainen/Shutterstock

Generative artificial intelligence (AI) tools are supercharging the problem of misinformation, disinformation and fake news. OpenAI’s ChatGPT, Google’s Gemini, and various image, voice and video generators have made it easier than ever to produce content, while making it harder to tell what is factual or real.

Malicious actors looking to spread disinformation can use AI tools to largely automate the generation of convincing and misleading text.

This raises pressing questions: how much of the content we consume online is true and how can we determine its authenticity? And can anyone stop this?

It’s not an idle concern. Organisations seeking to covertly influence public opinion or sway elections can now scale their operations with AI to unprecedented levels. And their content is being widely disseminated by search engines and social media.

Fakes everywhere​

Earlier this year, a German study on search engine content quality noted “a trend toward simplified, repetitive and potentially AI-generated content” on Google, Bing and DuckDuckGo.

Traditionally, readers of news media could rely on editorial control to uphold journalistic standards and verify facts. But AI is rapidly changing this space.

In a report published this week, the internet trust organisation NewsGuard identified 725 unreliable websites that publish AI-generated news and information “with little to no human oversight”.

Last month, Google released an experimental AI tool for a select group of independent publishers in the United States. Using generative AI, the publisher can summarise articles pulled from a list of external websites that produce news and content relevant to their audience. As a condition of the trial, the users have to publish three such articles per day.

Platforms hosting content and developing generative AI blur the traditional lines that enable trust in online content.

Can the government step in?​

Australia has already seen tussles between government and online platforms over the display and moderation of news and content.

In 2019, the Australian government amended the criminal code to mandate the swift removal of “abhorrent violent material” by social media platforms.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) inquiry into power imbalances between Australian news media and digital platforms led to the 2021 implementation of a bargaining code that forced platforms to pay media for their news content.

While these might be considered partial successes, they also demonstrate the scale of the problem and the difficulty of taking action.

Our research indicates these conflicts saw online platforms initially open to changes and later resisting them, while the Australian government oscillated from enforcing mandatory measures to preferring voluntary actions.

Ultimately, the government realised that relying on platforms’ “trust us” promises wouldn’t lead to the desired outcomes.

The takeaway from our study is that once digital products become integral to millions of businesses and everyday lives, they serve as a tool for platforms, AI companies and big tech to anticipate and push back against government.

With this in mind, it is right to be sceptical of early calls for regulation of generative AI by tech leaders like Elon Musk and Sam Altman. Such calls have faded as AI takes a hold on our lives and online content.

A challenge lies in the sheer speed of change, which is so swift that safeguards to mitigate the potential risks to society are not yet established. Accordingly, the World Economic Forum’s 2024 Global Risk Report has predicted mis- and disinformation as the greatest threats in the next two years.

The problem gets worse through generative AI’s ability to create multimedia content. Based on current trends, we can expect an increase in deepfake incidents, although social media platforms like Facebook are responding to these issues. They aim to automatically identify and tag AI-generated photos, video and audio.

What can we do?​

Australia’s eSafety commissioner is working on ways to regulate and mitigate the potential harm caused by generative AI while balancing its potential opportunities.

A key idea is “safety by design”, which requires tech firms to place these safety considerations at the core of their products.

Other countries like the US are further ahead with the regulation of AI. For example, US President Joe Biden’s recent executive order on the safe deployment of AI requires companies to share safety test results with the government, regulates red-team testing (simulated hacking attacks), and guides watermarking on content.

We call for three steps to help protect against the risks of generative AI in combination with disinformation.

1. Regulation needs to pose clear rules without allowing for nebulous “best effort” aims or “trust us” approaches.

2. To protect against large-scale disinformation operations, we need to teach media literacy in the same way we teach maths.

3. Safety tech or “safety by design” needs to become a non-negotiable part of every product development strategy.

People are aware AI-generated content is on the rise. In theory, they should adjust their information habits accordingly. However, research shows users generally tend to underestimate their own risk of believing fake news compared to the perceived risk for others.

Finding trustworthy content shouldn’t involve sifting through AI-generated content to make sense of what is factual.

This article was first published on The Conversation, and was written by , Stan Karanasios, Associate Professor, The University of Queensland, Marten Risius, Senior Lecturer in Business Information Systems, The University of Queensland

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
So, why doesn't Channel Nine, for one, rush to the courts to take the scammers down when they use Nine "personalities" to promote the get-rich-quick schemes which abound on the media these days? Or Gina Rinehart, or Dick Smith, or Twiggy Forrest, or Ash Barty ... ?

I am sorry people; it is too late to change the laws about AI. This should have been done when AI first appeared in the world. AI has now taken over.

Reactions: Liz and IAN3005
I am sorry people; it is too late to change the laws about AI. This should have been done when AI first appeared in the world. AI has now taken over.
Learn to live with it it's here to stay and get worse.....

Reactions: AlanQ
And there it is, once again thrown right in our faces as we read about it.
IMG_0476.pngIMG_0476.png

The non caring Federal govt wont do anything smart to ban AI etc
Can you tell us how a country that follows the trends of the world do 'anything'? The genie is out of the bottle and just not possible for a country with the clout of Australia to do anything. Has been documented for a couple of years that AI will result in the internet being full of more false 'facts' than actual facts. A couple of years from now an AI search on Trump will tell us how he is a genius based on the number of times he puts it on the internet. AI pulls the information from the internet, so fake news and based on an event facts will be blended. Some people read fiction books like the da Vinci Code read and because there is some historical events or people incorporated into the story, think is factual.

Reactions: IAN3005
The govt should be forcing services to annotate what is and isn’t AI generated, it should also be legislated out of the education system in toto.

Whilst it should have been done earlier the legislation can still be introduced, the only difficulty is finding politicians with the balls to do it.

(Human generated content)

"internet trust organisation " ? NewsGuard [s used by a wide range of governmental and nonprofit organizations as a source of credible, nonpartisan data about media trust, including the World Health Organization, the U.S. State Department and Department of Defense, the U.K. Department of Media, Culture and Sport, Ofcom (the U.K.’s communications regulator), the French Digital Minister’s office, and others] NG founded in 2019... In 2019, the Australian government amended the criminal code to mandate the swift removal of “abhorrent violent material” by social media platforms........Who benefits ?

There is where the orders coming from and our politician follow it to the dot. Unelected but interfering with Australia's politics. Listen to Ursula von der Leyen what she and Klaus have in store for us.

• Angry
Reactions: Ingot and Lolali
When "they" first discussed AI and the impact it would have on us and our community "they" assured us that AI would be a servant, not a master, and that "they" would be watching to make sure it doesn't have a negative impact on human beings.

"They" also told us that AI would not be an existential threat to mankind, and would never replace humans.

But when you have a homosexual atheist (Yuval Noah Harari, talking on TED) telling the world that "this is just the beginning" and machines would "displace human beings" and in time "only machines" would exist - I at first despaired, then laughed.

No one is stopping him from saying it of course- or even giving this his best shot.
Then I remembered my Creator, and He "laughs at them in derision."

"2 Why do the heathen rage, and the people devise a vain thing?

2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying,

3 “Let us break Their bonds asunder, and cast away Their cords from us.”

4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh; the Lord shall hold them in derision.

5 Then shall He speak unto them in His wrath, and vex them in His sore displeasure:"

Psalm 2
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+2&version=KJ21

The creature can NEVER be greater than the CREATOR.
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
" And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

John 10:27-28

I know my Redeemer lives.
We have just had Resurrection Sunday - let the AI people rage - they are coming to nought.

I make no apology for quoting the Bible.
It is God's words to us, no matter who says otherwise - that can never change.
And there was a time when it was honoured, and even sought, for sound counsel.
That's the time I was raised in, believe in, and act out that belief.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: IAN3005 and Liz
It is interesting that it is the Australian Govt complaining about "trust me " statements and sites, when THEY have proven to be the most Untrustworthy Govt of all time.

Reactions: Ingot
I won't use anything endorsed by celebs or others. I like to find out these things for myself if I can ,also haven't got the cash to buy or invest .
I am with you... wouldn't touch anything endorsed by a celebrity

There is where the orders coming from and our politician follow it to the dot. Unelected but interfering with Australia's politics. Listen to Ursula von der Leyen what she and Klaus have in store for us.

Klaus is über criminal, god help us!

When "they" first discussed AI and the impact it would have on us and our community "they" assured us that AI would be a servant, not a master, and that "they" would be watching to make sure it doesn't have a negative impact on human beings.

"They" also told us that AI would not be an existential threat to mankind, and would never replace humans.

But when you have a homosexual atheist (Yuval Noah Harari, talking on TED) telling the world that "this is just the beginning" and machines would "displace human beings" and in time "only machines" would exist - I at first despaired, then laughed.

No one is stopping him from saying it of course- or even giving this his best shot.
Then I remembered my Creator, and He "laughs at them in derision."

"2 Why do the heathen rage, and the people devise a vain thing?

2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying,

3 “Let us break Their bonds asunder, and cast away Their cords from us.”

4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh; the Lord shall hold them in derision.

5 Then shall He speak unto them in His wrath, and vex them in His sore displeasure:"

Psalm 2
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+2&version=KJ21

The creature can NEVER be greater than the CREATOR.
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
" And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

John 10:27-28

I know my Redeemer lives.
We have just had Resurrection Sunday - let the AI people rage - they are coming to nought.

I make no apology for quoting the Bible.
It is God's words to us, no matter who says otherwise - that can never change.
And there was a time when it was honoured, and even sought, for sound counsel.
That's the time I was raised in, believe in, and act out that belief.
do you have the Meta data to support the origins?

It is interesting that it is the Australian Govt complaining about "trust me " statements and sites, when THEY have proven to be the most Untrustworthy Govt of all time.
The government has always been untrustworthy since the days of Gough Whitlam... the start of the demise of Australia...