Alert! Your computer may be at risk from sudden surge of 'plague' malware

In the digital age, the convenience of technology has become a double-edged sword, particularly for those over 60 who may not have grown up with the internet as an integral part of daily life.

While the internet offers opportunities and conveniences, it also opens the door to new forms of crime that can be difficult to detect and even harder to combat.

Understanding the latest digital crimes can help you and your loved ones avoid falling victim to these deceptive schemes.

One such digital menace is the rise of 'plague' malware, which describes the Remote Access Trojans (RATs) that have surged infiltrating Australian devices.

RATs are a form of malware that allows cybercriminals to take control of a victim's device without their knowledge.

They can spy on users, steal personal information, and even manipulate data.

The Australian Federal Police reported a worrying increase in these cyberattacks, with criminals' methods becoming more sophisticated.

unnamed (5).png
Australian internet users were warned about an increase in malware attacks. Credit: janews / Shutterstock

They often hide these viruses in seemingly legitimate email attachments or popular video games, making them harder to spot.

Some of the most popular games, such as Runescape, Minecraft, PUBG: Battlegrounds, and ARK Survival, have been targeted.

The malware embedded in these games can grant criminals access to webcams, microphones, passwords, location history, and other sensitive data stored on the device.

This is not just a breach of privacy; it's a direct threat to your financial security and personal safety.

Acting Assistant Commissioner Chris Goldsmid likened these viruses to the plague, emphasising the importance of updating your anti-virus software.

He mentioned that certain viruses can still evade detection by antivirus software, leaving victims unaware if malware has already infiltrated their devices.

‘This type of cyber offending can evolve into extreme and malicious forms of data theft and victim manipulation, with criminals using stolen data to commit extortion or financial crimes,’ he said.

In April, charges were brought against someone for purportedly creating and selling a RAT on a hacking forum.

Likewise, in June 2023, a resident of Geelong was placed on a three-year good behaviour bond for acquiring one of these viruses online.

Furthermore, a 27-year-old individual from Malta was apprehended overseas in February for allegedly distributing a virus within the popular game Warzone, partly due to intelligence provided by federal police.

The maximum penalty for utilising a Remote Access Trojan in Australia is a 10-year prison sentence.

Similarly, cybersecurity experts cautioned Australians about a new form of malware capable of causing computer slowdowns.

Various signs may indicate that your computers or laptops have been compromised. For further details, you can find more information about it here.

The digital world can be treacherous, but you can navigate it safely by taking the right precautions.

Remember, your personal and financial well-being could be at stake, so it's worth investing time and effort into cybersecurity.
Key Takeaways
  • Australian internet users were warned about a surge in Remote Access Trojans (RATS) that take control of devices and steal personal information.
  • Criminals spread malware via legitimate email attachments and popular video games.
  • Australian Federal Police urged Aussies to update their virus protection as some malware may go undetected by antivirus software.
  • Engaging with a Remote Access Trojan in any form in Australia can lead to a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.
Have you or someone you know been affected by malware or cybercrime? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below to help others stay safe online.

Sponsored
Earlier this year I had my pension stolen from my bank account. The account showed that I had paid it to Google Play! I went to the police who said that I most likely pressed the wrong button on my computer. They considered that I had no evidence of fraud. My financial institution could not stop transaction. It was pending at the time. I completed a visa resolution form with them and cancelled my card. Finally I applied to Australian Financial Complaints Authority AFCA. for restitution. To my surprise rhe money was returned in a few days. I have heard of the same situation occurring ro another pensioner. She went to Centrelink and her money was repaid. The most inconvenient factor if you cancel cards is that all the existing direct debit arrangements in place fall over too! I needed to use my credit card to mop up all these.

Thank you for that info. I have had emails from people I know or knew, all about photos for me to look at. I have deleted them as I thought they were suspicious for different reasons. I am thinking they are all coming from the same person. If anything comes that is suspicious I wait for my Granddaughter to look at it

Reactions: Tervueren
you know what?? I have almost reached the stage of what the hell is the use of breathing. This is all becoming very depressing reading.

Reactions: Tervueren
Earlier this year I had my pension stolen from my bank account. The account showed that I had paid it to Google Play! I went to the police who said that I most likely pressed the wrong button on my computer. They considered that I had no evidence of fraud. My financial institution could not stop transaction. It was pending at the time. I completed a visa resolution form with them and cancelled my card. Finally I applied to Australian Financial Complaints Authority AFCA. for restitution. To my surprise rhe money was returned in a few days. I have heard of the same situation occurring ro another pensioner. She went to Centrelink and her money was repaid. The most inconvenient factor if you cancel cards is that all the existing direct debit arrangements in place fall over too! I needed to use my credit card to mop up all these.
i feel for you.

The maximum penalty for utilising a Remote Access Trojan in Australia is a 10-year prison sentence.
But the person from Geelong gets 3years good behaviour!!!!!!