ALDI's card surcharge sparks concerns among shoppers

ALDI has long been the go-to supermarket for Australians looking to stretch their dollar further.

With its reputation for offering unbeatable deals on a wide range of products, it's no wonder many have switched to ALDI for their weekly grocery haul.

However, a revelation about a surcharge on card payments has raised eyebrows and prompted a closer look at the true cost of these 'insane' grocery bargains.

The supermarket chain has implemented a 0.5 per cent surcharge on all credit card and contactless card purchases in its stores.

While this fee may appear negligible at first glance, it's important to consider the long-term implications.

shutterstock_1951966159.jpg
ALDI implemented a 0.5 per cent surcharge on all card purchases. Credit: Shutterstock

For the average ALDI shopper spending around $210 a week, this surcharge translates to an additional $1.05 on their bill. Over a year, this seemingly small amount accumulates to $54.60.

However, Yahoo Finance confirmed that customers who insert their card and select ‘savings’ can avoid the added fee.

ALDI justified the surcharge by reflecting the 'very high costs associated with accepting these cards.'

‘Rather than ALDI inflating prices across the board to compensate for the credit card acceptance costs (like most of the retailers do) ALDI instead allows customers to make the choice as to the payment method they prefer,’ ALDI’s website said.

‘This allows customers who choose the lower-cost method of payment, to receive the direct benefit by way of lower prices.’

Recent research by Canstar has highlighted that the average Australian shopper spent $140 last year on electronic payment surcharges, contributing to a staggering $4 billion nationwide—a $400 million increase from the previous year.

With the decline in cash usage and some businesses no longer accepting it, experts warned that consumers could be more susceptible to excessive surcharging.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) mandated that businesses can charge a surcharge for card payments, but it must not exceed the cost to the business for using that payment type.

‘There is a cap on the amount you can surcharge, and the merchant can only recover the cost of the transaction,’ Canstar Finance Expert Steve Mickenbecker said.

The Reserve Bank of Australia provided a guide, estimating that Visa and Mastercard credit card payments incur an average cost of between 1 and 1.5 per cent, while debit card payments range from 0.5 to 1 per cent, and EFTPOS payments are less than 0.5 per cent.

Despite the surcharge, ALDI's low prices continue to attract shoppers.

Many have shared their significant savings since switching to ALDI, with one mum revealing she saved over $50 on her weekly shop compared to her previous purchases at Coles.

Another shopper highlighted the dramatic difference in size and price between ALDI and Woolworths, describing the difference as 'insane.'

A third shopper was shocked that there was ‘such a big difference’ between the prices at Woolies and ALDI.

However, she added, ‘ALDI is cheaper for sure with 90 per cent of products, but ALDI also doesn't have everything Woolies and Coles have.'

ALDI claimed that it saved customers a total of $3.4 billion last year and encouraged shoppers to give it 'a go’.

‘Our everyday low pricing model means customers have certainty when they walk through our doors, so much so that we can confidently say that we will not be beaten on the cost of the weekly shop,’ an ALDI spokesperson said.
Key Takeaways
  • ALDI charges a 0.5 per cent surcharge on credit card and contactless card purchases, which could add up over time for frequent shoppers.
  • Customers can avoid the surcharge by inserting their card and selecting 'savings' at checkout.
  • ALDI explained the surcharge as a way to keep prices low for customers who choose less expensive payment methods.
  • Despite the surcharge, many Australians report substantial savings by shopping at ALDI compared to other supermarkets.
Have you compared prices from ALDI with other supermarkets? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I use cash only for grocery shopping.
The first thing I ask any provider is if they charge a service fee..... charge a fee then NO WAY.
This is going to be a thing of the future once we go cashless....
If a shopper can save $50 by shopping at Aldi, then pay a tiny fee (say $1.50) for using a card, I see no reason for concern.
The shopper is still $48.50 better off.

Give me your money - I'll do your shopping for you ... and pocket the profit.

That's what the shooper is doing by turning their back on Aldi in favour of a more expensive shopping bill at Coles or Woolworths.

Simple maths.
$50/week = $2500/year.

Who would turn up their nose at that just because of (52/$1.50 =$78) in fees?

If a shopper can save $50 by shopping at Aldi, then pay a tiny fee (say $1.50) for using a card, I see no reason for concern.

That's what the shooper is doing by turning their back on Aldi in favour of a more expensive shopping bill at Coles or Woolworths.

Simple maths.
$50/week = $2500/year.

Wait till we go 100% cashless...... then you watch the banks make a killing on the fees charged. Their profits will soar..... a fee will be charged on every single transaction and not just a measly 0.05%... more like 1.0%

Reactions: Jen77au and Ingot
Wait till we go 100% cashless...... then you watch the banks make a killing on the fees charged. Their profits will soar..... a fee will be charged on every single transaction and not just a measly 0.05%... more like 1.0%
You are right - these things are always of concern and need to be watched.
However, in the meantime we do our best to get the best deals.

Reactions: Jen77au and IAN3005

Simple maths.
$50/week = $2500/year.

Some people have the idea in their heads that ALDI products are inferior despite the fact that they are continually given Choice awards.
Some people aren't too smart.
A while back a lady commented it wasn't worth shopping at Aldi as she only saved about $10/week. Multiply that by 52 weeks and you've saved $520, nothing to be sneezed at. As I said some people just ain't that smart.

Some people have the idea in their heads that ALDI products are inferior despite the fact that they are continually given Choice awards.
Some people aren't too smart.
A while back a lady commented it wasn't worth shopping at Aldi as she only saved about $10/week. Multiply that by 52 weeks and you've saved $520, nothing to be sneezed at. As I said some people just ain't that smart.
Unless you are rolling in it.....

Reactions: Ingot
I cannot be.ie people are not more concerned about the card fee surcharges , the retailers say it the bank not them who charge the fee, this is bull dust they require the expos machine to get payment for their products so why are we paying their expos charge. We have changed our own shopping habits and pay by cash now as much as we can . If every person especially those on very low incomes or pension actually added the total amount they pay per year on surcharges it can be in excess of per $140 a year. Would you hand over that amount just to get nothing in return. And not to forget most of us pay a credit card fee each year on top of that. Banks closing banks, atm, and service so once again profit over people.
You do make some good points.

But if - in paying those "$140/year surcharges" - you saved $1500 in costs, (which you might have incurred elsewhere) then you are $1360 in front, aren't you?

It comes down to doing some homework - knowing what your items SHOULD cost, and whether you are still a lot better off shopping in a place that adds on a surcharge for card purchases.

Coles and Woolies also charge these surcharges ... it's just invisible, bc it's built in to the item price.

For us, shopping is an adventure, in a sense - an opportunity to get out of the house, and be with other living people. Some days when we need fruit and veg ... we go to Harris Farms because of the freshness and high quality.

For other items, we will go to Woollies, or Coles, because we can grab a coffee and Banana bread treat nearby, and chill a bit. We know that over 12 months we will spend around $1000+ on coffees and muffins etc between us, but the social benefit is worth it, and keeps us happy, out of Doctor's surgeries.

Reactions: Jen77au and IAN3005
You do make some good points.

But if - in paying those "$140/year surcharges" - you saved $1500 in costs, (which you might have incurred elsewhere) then you are $1360 in front, aren't you?

It comes down to doing some homework - knowing what your items SHOULD cost, and whether you are still a lot better off shopping in a place that adds on a surcharge for card purchases.

Coles and Woolies also charge these surcharges ... it's just invisible, bc it's built in to the item price.

For us, shopping is an adventure, in a sense - an opportunity to get out of the house, and be with other living people. Some days when we need fruit and veg ... we go to Harris Farms because of the freshness and high quality.

For other items, we will go to Woollies, or Coles, because we can grab a coffee and Banana bread treat nearby, and chill a bit. We know that over 12 months we will spend around $1000+ on coffees and muffins etc between us, but the social benefit is worth it, and keeps us happy, out of Doctor's surgeries.
You must be rolling in money.....a charge for nothing is a charge that the banks rely on to make their billion $ profit... we didn't agree on the charge.

You must be rolling in money.....a charge for nothing is a charge that the banks rely on to make their billion $ profit... we didn't agree on the charge.
Well in that case, shop elsewhere and pay $50/week more.
If they charge me $49 to use my card, but the savings are $50, then I am $1 in front.

It's NOT a charge-for-nothing.
My wife has shopped at Aldi for 35 years - that credit card charge has ALWAYS been there.
And ... people are STILL saying they are saving money at Aldi.
It's just Aldi recouping costs imposed by the banks.
Credit always comes at an interest cost - it's not free.
To avoid a charge, insert card in EFTPOS machine and enter PIN.

btw - we don't shop there since we moved here, but were discussing this thread last night, and she said "Why don't we check them out and see what the fuss is about?"

Not rolling in money, but careful to do my sums.
You are right about the banks making their $billions from these kinds of charges.

Notice that there are very few ATM's now that belong to the banks?
To get cash, we have to use a private ATM, and the charges are $2.50 to $3 even if the withdrawal is only $20. Designed to force people to stop using cash - the banks hate cash.

There is no tax deduction for us, despite the banks supposedly paying tax on the profits.

Reactions: Jen77au
The fees are not new for using credit cards, etc. they have always displayed notices on the eftpos machines and at the checkouts.

I’m only aware of this as I mostly use eftpos for my cheque account through my bank. I don’t feel safe carrying cash these days!

I have always inserted my card into the eftpos machine to avoid the fees.

My mum struggles with them however, so I’m usually helping her out there. I do it for her friends sometimes too.

I have been taught to treat elders with respect and kindness, and they probably think I’m a criminal or just creepy when I see others struggling and I offer my assistance.

I understand why they say no. It’s hard to trust strangers when there’s so many scammers about or they just have their pride.

Still, I offer my sincere help. I see my parents and their friends struggling and they have me, I just wonder how the people without anyone cope.

Totally agree. Aldi have had a credit surcharge for as long as I can remember. Insert card and select “Savings”, no surcharge. It has always been the way.
You can also choose your cheque account if you have one of those. Anything that is NOT credit, should not be charged ☺️

If you TAP your everyday card you are charged a fee, however, if you put your card in the slot you are not charged a fee.

Why is this news?
Put your card in, choose cheque and you don't get charged.

And as for this...."The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) mandated that businesses can charge a surcharge for card payments,..."

About time they mandated to stop all surcharges like they done in the UK 6 years ago.

Time to check out The Spud Shed. Do they have a website with pricing?
Yes, their catalogue is on site.
They are only in WA.
The proprietor, Tony Galatti made a reputation for himself many years ago, as a market gardener, taking the potatoboard to task over their ridiculous restrictions and regulations. He won.
Started off with one shop and has expanded greatly since then.
Has really good specials on vegetables, but sells everything.
Great prices as well.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
A lot of their products are only 1cent cheaper than Cole’s or Woolworths eg. 500g butter at $6.39 c.f. $6.40. With rounding and cc surcharge you are not saving money. Make the savings 5, 10 or 20 cents per item to be worth shopping at Aldi!

A lot of their products are only 1cent cheaper than Cole’s or Woolworths eg. 500g butter at $6.39 c.f. $6.40. With rounding and cc surcharge you are not saving money. Make the savings 5, 10 or 20 cents per item to be worth shopping at Aldi!
What products are you buying? There are plenty of products that are miles cheaper,eg all their cleaning products are much cheaper, toiletries, canned vegies, soup etc.
Trays of fresh pet meat same weight, are $1.01 cheaper. I need 7 per shop so save over
$7 on one item.
As far as butter is concerned, I buy their Butterly, tastes just as good and much cheaper.
I save anywhere from $30 to $50 per shop at Aldi.

My local greengrocer charges a % for using eftpos, even if it's not a credit card. Obviously due to their shop's high rent.
Not sure what reason Aldi has to be charging a % if people choose to use their credit card.
It's profiteering.
They are only charging what the bank charges so instead of blaming Aldi it’s the banks that are making the money how do you think they make large profits yearly and are trying to make everyone use cards instead of cash and even removed atm machines and close branches. 😏

They are only charging what the bank charges so instead of blaming Aldi it’s the banks that are making the money how do you think they make large profits yearly and are trying to make everyone use cards instead of cash and even removed atm machines and close branches. 😏
Of course Aldi passes the cost onto the consumer. I insert my card/savings at Aldi to avoid a % charge.
Coles and Woolworths don't charge customers like Aldi does. Profits from Aldi has to make it's way back to Germany somehow.

Coles, WW and most stores ad the transaction cost of the BANK into the price of the merchandise and pay the bank that way. Aldi add the cost at the checout for the amount the BANK chargrs for the transaction. This is why the cost is added to your receipt. The BANK is charging Aldi this price so Aldi charge us to pay the BANK. This way it is still cheaper than stores who add the cost into the merchandise. Everytime you use a card to pay, the BANK charges merchants this fee dispite he merchant providing a service for the bank. The BANKS should be pay the merchant for providing this service. This is why banks are making in excess of 70 Billion dollars profits per year. TIGHT ARSE BANKS ARE AT FAULT NOT THE SHOPS.

Exactly,I wish the people who keep saying they are not being charged here and there,by this place and that, would wake up to themselves and realise they are paying everywhere. Some places just choose to add it to the cost of each item and not show it as a surcharge.
Same as those who think they get their groceries packed for free in Coles and Woolies. No they don't, it's all added into the final costing across the board.
One of the reasons their prices are higher (as well as their blatant profiteering )you get nothing for nothing.

Reactions: Annemarie