ALDI vs. Coles: Customer shares shocking price difference between two major supermarkets

When it comes to trimming the weekly grocery bill, Australian shoppers are constantly looking for ways to stretch their dollars further.

In a striking example recently shared by an Aussie consumer, the remarkable savings one can achieve by switching supermarkets became abundantly clear.

An ALDI shopper shared her savvy shopping strategy online, revealing she managed to cut over $50 from her $348 grocery shop at Coles by opting instead to purchase from ALDI.

The shopper’s post has sparked renewed debate on the cost differences between the major supermarkets.

SDC Images (5).png
A shopper has saved over $50 by shopping at ALDI rather than Coles. Image sources: Shutterstock.

Her social media revelation laid out the cold hard numbers: 'I’ve been seeing a lot of posts that the price between ALDI and Coles is not much different—if I had bought all this only at Coles, it would have cost me $348.95.'

'I took my Coles list to ALDI and purchased everything that was cheaper there and all my fruit and [vegetables] at the grocer. In total, this shop was $297.65.'

This comparative shopping approach showcased the potential impact of a mixed-bag strategy where consumers shop at different outlets—mainstream supermarkets and discount grocers like ALDI and IGA—to maximise savings without compromising on their shopping list.

The debate amongst shoppers was lively and multifaceted, with preferences influenced by more than just price.

While some consumers are committed to Coles or Woolworths, citing rewards points and loyalty programs as reasons for sticking with these staples, others highlighted the substantial savings available at ALDI.

'I did this once,' one wrote.

'Bought all my stuff at ALDI, then went home and put all the stuff in a Woolies online order. Even picking home brand stuff and stuff on special at Woolies, the total was $250, and ALDI was about $200. Such a big difference.'

'I've definitely noticed fruit and [vegetables] at smaller local stores and local IGA discounts [are so] much cheaper than Coles and Woolies, and sometimes ALDI,' another replied.

'ALDI is cheaper for sure with 90 per cent of products, but ALDI also doesn't have everything Woolies and Coles have.'

Another commented: 'Yep, ALDI is still definitely cheaper for me. I know many people like the rewards from Woolies and Coles, and I do have Everyday Extras myself, but even the points and savings from this program don't make up for the amount I save each week at ALDI.'

'I do shop specials at Coles and Woolies, but shopping there just because of the points seems silly to me when I would be spending, on average, about 15 per cent more to do so.'

Some shoppers claimed it was cheaper to do their groceries at Coles or Woolies.

'Still cheaper for me to do a big shop at Coles,' one commented.

'Between the specials and points from rewards programs adding up so quickly, I definitely save overall at Coles. (I) still go to ALDI for a few things I like though.'

'I like ALDI for bits and pieces, but I [found] that [for] brand stuff, I need to go to Woolworths.'

A comparison by Finder late last year, purchasing 50 specific items, saw ALDI emerge as the most wallet-friendly option at $200, with Coles at $214 and Woolworths at $207.

Chris Ford from Compare The Market pointed out, 'Our latest research found that the average Aussie spends $193 on groceries per week, which is around $836.33 a month or $10,036 a year.'

'One way that we know many households are saving at the checkout is by shopping where the sales are.'

'In addition to the weekly specials that run at the major supermarkets, we know there are great savings to be found at smaller grocers, challengers, department stores, discount stores and more. Similarly, people are finding savings by switching from brand-name items to generic alternatives.'
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian shopper highlighted a significant price difference by comparing costs between Coles and ALDI after over $50 on her grocery shop.
  • The comparison sparked discussion on social media about the cost of living and supermarket pricing strategies.
  • While some customers remain loyal to Coles or Woolworths due to rewards points and loyalty programs, others believe ALDI offers better value on many products.
  • Research and price comparisons found that ALDI is often cheaper for groceries than Coles and Woolworths, potentially leading to substantial annual savings for households.
Have you ever compared prices between supermarkets before? Share your findings with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
As the add says Aldi is my first shop then I go to the other's for items Aldi doesn't stock as for cereal Aldi corn flakes made in Germany taste better than Kelloggs and their choco rice (coco pop's)from Spain tastes the same and both products and cheaper

Reactions: Wendy and siameezer
We shop a lot at Aldi now. One has to be prepared to put your mind and taste buds out of behind you, so to speak. If you are prepared to change these two and buy & taste other brands then Aldi is just as good and cheaper, as the long available and well known brands available in Coles and Woolworths for years.

As another SDC member has said here Aldi sells products sourced and grown by Aussie companies and growers. Just take a look at what is written on the product’s labels.

Aldi always use Australian Manufacturers! In fact, more times than Coles and Woolworths. The only time you see other manufacturers used in Aldi is in their centre aisles on goods other than food. Thank goodness for Aldi, I say. I save money shopping there every week.
Unless the Netherlands and Belgium are part of Australia, then your comment is inaccurate. Most of the frozen is from Europe. It's the same product sold in all Aldi stores across the world and packaged for the appropriate country labelling. The fresh produce is from Australia (they don't have much choice) quarantine prevents most fresh produce entry into Aust. Not dis-similar to the house brands of the 2 majors. Compare the house brand of coles and woolies with aldi, they're pretty much identical in price, but comparing the market leader brand with a house brand is apples and oranges.

Aldi always use Australian Manufacturers! In fact, more times than Coles and Woolworths. The only time you see other manufacturers used in Aldi is in their centre aisles on goods other than food. Thank goodness for Aldi, I say. I save money shopping there every week.
I found the Aldi food allot tastier. than the branded food try it you might just love. it and its worth it TOO

I went through a similar exercise comparing Aldi products but with Coles HOME brand products and the price is not much different. In fact on some products the Coles brands were cheaper.
On these surveys were they comparing home brands at Coles or Woolworths or brand products?
Would be interesting to know.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
Unless the Netherlands and Belgium are part of Australia, then your comment is inaccurate. Most of the frozen is from Europe. It's the same product sold in all Aldi stores across the world and packaged for the appropriate country labelling. The fresh produce is from Australia (they don't have much choice) quarantine prevents most fresh produce entry into Aust. Not dis-similar to the house brands of the 2 majors. Compare the house brand of coles and woolies with aldi, they're pretty much identical in price, but comparing the market leader brand with a house brand is apples and oranges.
Some, NOT all, of the non-perishable stock is imported ... exactly as the duopoly does. A lot of ALDI's stock is manufactured here ... their Confidence toilet paper is made by Quilton. Frozen gourmet pies are made by Herbert Adams.
The main difference is a lot of the ALDI products are better quality.

Reactions: Frida1944 and Wendy
I'll buy some Aldi products, but not all of them as they don't suit my dietary requirements - ie. no lactose free yoghurts etc. I don't find their meat any cheaper than other competitors.

I tried Aldi but I end up throwing stuff away as it is pretty ordinary. I’d rather pay the extra and get what I want instead of making do. Thei aluminium foil is virtually unusable and rips at the slightest touch. I bought baking paper which I thought they wouldn’t mess up with and everything stuck to it so badly that after two different uses I threw it in the recycling and went and bought glad bake from Woolies! Blocks of cheese crumble when cut, cheese slices break into bits when you seperate them and cream cheese rips the bread when you try to spread it. I gave up! I save $50 on my monthly shop a Woolies with my Rewards card, so sorry Aldi I will never be convinced you can do better

I shop at all three Aldi,Cole's ,Woolies and being in WA Spudshed saves me heaps