ALDI tip that slows down checkout process sparks heated debate

ALDI is known for its lightning-fast checkout process.

It's a race against time as customers scramble to pack their groceries while the cashier scans at a breakneck speed.

But one ALDI shopper in Australia has devised a controversial tip to slow down the process, sparking a heated debate online.

Shopping at ALDI is a unique experience.

The supermarket chain's efficiency-focused model means that cashiers scan items rapidly, leaving customers scrambling to pack their groceries.

shutterstock_1067094713.jpg
An ALDI customer shared a tip on how to slow down the checkout process. Image source: Shutterstock.

The idea is to speed up the checkout process and keep the queues moving.

Customers are then encouraged to pack their bags at a designated packing bench away from the till area.

One shopper shared a tip on how to slow down the process which has left the community divided.

The tip involved spacing individual items far apart on the conveyor belt, forcing the cashier to wait for them to reach the till.

The shopper posted a picture of their groceries—fruit, milk, orange juice, and other items—drastically spaced out on the conveyor belt, with the caption: 'In your face ALDI. Just so we got time to pack.'

The reaction to the hack was mixed.

Some hailed the shopper as a genius, with one commenter saying, 'Round of applause—this is genius.'

While another added, 'Oh, I love it! Packing at ALDI should be an Olympic sport.'

However, others were less impressed and argued that the tip was an inconvenience to other shoppers and a violation of ALDI's packing etiquette.

One critic pointed out, 'People like you packing their bags at the register are so annoying and selfish. Try packing at the bench like everyone else.'

Another added, 'I despise when people do this.'

Interestingly, some ALDI staff members responded to the post and revealed that they had seen this before and had strategies to counter it.

One staff member replied, 'I have customers do this, I just put my arm up to move the belt, let it all build up, then start scanning.'

'When I worked at ALDI, and people did this, I would hold the first item back from the sensor with my arm until everything piled up,' another commented.

Meanwhile, another ALDI shopper shared a different hack that has been well-received.

Instead of using bags to pack away her shopping, she used laundry baskets.

This method allowed for quick packing at the checkout and easy unloading at home—a simple, yet efficient solution.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI shopper shared a hack for slowing down the packing process at checkouts by spacing items out on the conveyor belt.
  • The technique has divided users, with some considering it clever and others calling it inconvenient and selfish.
  • ALDI staff members also shared that they have methods to deal with such tactics by allowing items to build up before scanning.
  • Some shoppers have come up with their own alternatives to using bags, such as using laundry baskets to carry their groceries.
What do you think of this tip, members? Do you have other tips you’d like to share? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
life is a changing system, adapt for the sake of sanity,AND( stop saying why should I. have to.....)We need to live in harmony not everything is controlled by a law, some things become necessary for the sake of harmony and peace NO ONE IS ENTITLED when it comes to living in peace....personally I think we need another world war to get people back to being human and care for each other

Never buy enough at Aldi to worry about packing. I find their products cheap but inferior. Id rather pay a bit more and get what I actually want and use. I’ve thrown so much away when I have shopped there. False economy for me, but if it works for others that’s good. Each to their own

• Haha
Reactions: siameezer
I hate waiting for people that pack their bags at the checkout instead of at the packing area. This is one of the reasons I use Aldis because they are quick . I also hate people that wait in the queue and then fish around in their bags for their card or money when this could all have been done while they are waiting to be served.

Stuff ALDI and their packing etiquette. What if it is an older person who has trouble with mobility and packing. And to the person who despises the slow packers, you know what you can do. Go shop at Woolworthless or Coals.
Every second costs money as check-out staff are paid based on an hourly rate. There are merely 3600 seconds to the hour. So if a check-out person takes 20 seconds to check-out your purchases rather than 40 seconds, they increase their profitability to their employer as they can get though twice the number of customers per hour than if they took 40 seconds to do their job. That means 180 customers' and their purchases per hour rather than a mere 90.

Time and no notion. Bean-counters rule!

Last edited:
I ALWAYS PLACE ITEMS THAT ARE RELEVANT TOGETHER, AND THEN WHEN YOU NEED TO PACK THEY ARE TOGETHER IN THE TROLLEY. AND INTO THE CAR. SIMPLE EH!!

No, if the person has mobility problems then it would seem more appropriate for them to shop at Woolies or Coles where the packing would-be done for them.
Same for you, if you have a problem with ALDI, take your own advice and shop elsewhere.
WHAT A STUPID SUGGESTION AND A SELFISH ONE.

I use their packing shelf to free up the checkout if I have items that can be carried there in 1 trip but I'm not going backwards and forwards and backwards and forwards and backwards and forwards if I have a lot of items. That is just stupidity! BUT, you're all forgetting that YOU are ultimately in charge. Everything stops, and I mean EVERYTHING, when they ask for payment. At this point, you can take control of the operation and continue packing at your pace until you're ready to pay.

I use their packing shelf to free up the checkout if I have items that can be carried there in 1 trip but I'm not going backwards and forwards and backwards and forwards and backwards and forwards if I have a lot of items. That is just stupidity! BUT, you're all forgetting that YOU are ultimately in charge. Everything stops, and I mean EVERYTHING, when they ask for payment. At this point, you can take control of the operation and continue packing at your pace until you're ready to pay.
I don't understand, why would you need to continue going backwards and forwards to the shelf,you just put them in the trolley and go once?
WHAT A STUPID SUGGESTION AND A SELFISH ONE.
What is stupid or selfish about that suggestion. My daughter has a disability and shops at Coles where they pack for her, she doesn't feel entitled because of her disability and said herself that she would feel selfish if she was holding everybody else up.
Depends on what way you want to look at it. JYO.

Aldi staff have more than one job to do , checking stock, restocking shelves and freezers, scanning your groceries ,give em a break!
I pack my groceries from the trolley ( after buying them ) straight to the bags in the boot of my car, that way I’m not triple handling.

Aldi staff have more than one job to do , checking stock, restocking shelves and freezers, scanning your groceries ,give em a break!
I pack my groceries from the trolley ( after buying them ) straight to the bags in the boot of my car, that way I’m not triple handling.
You are handling more than 3 times.
1. Take off shelf.
2. Put on conveyor.
3. Put back in trolley.
4. Pack into bags in boot.
5. Remove from boot and take inside.
6. Pack them away.

Reactions: sharyn13
I often wonder why people complain about Aldi yet continue to shop there!!! If you don't like their policies please go elsewhere and let the rest of us enjoy the benefits. Amazing prices, top quality and great staff. The process is fast and if a shopper follows the guidelines by replacing items back into the trolley as soon as scanned, then pack on benches provided, there is no problem.
We take ours out and pack them in the car, that way they only come out of the trolly once.

I pack mine at the counter,I'm retired and got lots of time and money,I don't give a rats arse is some person is in a hurry behind me,if you don't like it get there half an hour before I do,ha ha

Reactions: Kman