ALDI shopper notices $20.60 charge on receipt: ‘I don’t really know what I’ve paid for’

As we navigate the aisles of our favourite supermarkets, we're often focused on the prices displayed on the shelves, trusting that when we reach the checkout, those numbers will faithfully translate to our final bill.

However, an incident at an ALDI store has served as a stark reminder that it pays to be vigilant, even after the groceries are bagged, and we're heading for the exit.

An ALDI shopper was bewildered when her receipt revealed a puzzling extra charge of just over $20.

The charge, cryptically described as 'groceries 10 per cent', appeared on her bill, totalling $269.25, which included the mysterious $20.60 fee.

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 10.01.28 AM.png
An ALDI shopper was shocked to see a $20.60 charge on her receipt. Credit: Facebook

‘The GST is different and goes at the bottom. I don't really know what I have paid $20.60 for,’ she said in her post.

This discovery, shared on social media, has sparked a wave of concern and curiosity among consumers, prompting a broader discussion about the importance of receipt scrutiny.

The shopper's initial confusion was echoed by responses by others, with some speculating whether the charge was related to Goods and Services Tax (GST), which is typically itemised separately at the bottom of a receipt.

An ALDI store manager suggested that the charge was likely the result of a cashier's error.

‘A button has been incorrectly pressed. Take the receipt back, and you will be given a refund,’ she said.

Another ex-employee explained, ‘There is a small button on our register that says 10 per cent GST and another 10 per cent GST. These buttons are hardly used but can be mistakenly pushed during scanning or punching in codes for produce. Take the receipt back to the shop and they will refund.’

ALDI declined to comment on the matter, but the company has previously encouraged customers with pricing queries to reach out through their help centre.

It's worth noting that ALDI, like many retailers, may use bespoke codes for certain items, such as clearance products.

Christine Seib, Editor-in-Chief at Canstar Blue, weighed in on the issue, emphasising the importance of accepting and checking receipts.

‘About a third of shoppers already choose to check out their own groceries, according to Canstar Blue’s latest research,’ Seib said.

‘Self-service lets you see and assess the cost of each item and remove it or query the cost before it goes in your shopping bag. If you’re not already doing so, it could be worth considering if being incorrectly charged is a concern. Likewise, if you buy your groceries online, your receipt will be stored in your online account for review at any time.’

For those who prefer a digital approach, Seib suggested opting for emailed receipts.

These options not only reduce paper waste but also help keep your receipts organised and easily accessible.

Further comments from ALDI staff on the original post suggested that the extra charge could be related to a manually entered Special Buy or a meat product without a barcode.

‘If you purchased meat of the same value, we sometimes have to process it using a button on our registers if the barcode or code isn't working. Check your meat items first and see what it is that you could've been charged for,’ another employee said.

Another added, ‘It is a meat pack that's not scanning or something in the special buys without a barcode. If they don't have a code, you can push this button and manually put the price in. It happens a lot with the free-range chicken,’ another wrote.

In a similar story, ALDI shoppers noticed a peculiar ‘warranty’ reference on their receipts when purchasing tins of sliced beetroot.

This reference has been found on several receipts and shared on social media, causing confusion and humour among customers. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI shopper found an unexpected $20 charge on her receipt labelled 'groceries 10 per cent', separate from GST.
  • The shopper and other group members are advised to return to the store with the receipt to seek a refund.
  • ALDI store employees suggested the charge could be due to a cashier's error or a manually entered Special Buy or meat item.
  • Canstar Blue's editor-in-chief emphasised the importance of checking receipts, suggesting physical and digital ways to manage and review them.
Have you ever encountered a mysterious charge on your receipt? How did you resolve it? Share your experiences in the comments below, and let's help each other stay savvy at the supermarket.

Reactions: Ezzy and Bernice S
Sponsored
I use my own money....those funny pieces of THIN plastic, not the thicker, smaller plastic thing bearing your name.
No one is stopping you, and no onevwill stop you.

Only paranoid, delusional people "think" their freedumb is being taken away. Cash isn't going away.

Years ago in Launceston l bought some groceries at Jimmys supermarket and noticed extra items added to my docket.l went upstairs to his office
where l was kept waiting for ages then finally he said if the groceries from the previous person were not clicked off thats what happened.No apology There were cameras everywhere and l wondered why he hadn't noticed the deli assistant stuffing pieces of sliced meat in her mouth.Yak! l never went there again.

ALDI do charge customer a surcharge for using credit accounts. I have found that instead of tapping your card you insert it and use savings with a pin and that avoids the surcharge. Maybe this is what the change is for.
Not that much

If it is a common thing that items don't scan properly or are missing barcodes then why have such a silly notation for the item. If they have to input the price manually then the button should just say that. Not 20%Gst.

I think this person is simply letting others know to check their receipt before leaving the store, no need for your rude comment.
FYI THEY DID NOT!! why on earth would ask social media to fix the mistake..my comment was the truth not RUDE as you say this woman truly is stupid if she thinks like that and so are you!

If one third of customers prefer self check, then TWO THIRDS prefer a cashier.
Maybe where you shop, I know my Woolworths and Coles are far busier through the self serves, often lined up even though there's over a dozen self serve checkouts.

IN the event of a problem, during or after purchasing product from Aldi, all you have to do is talk " nicely " to the manager " of the store or their representative. We have found nothing but politeness and assistance, so, rather than creating a storm - try it.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Always be vigilant when handing over notes. I handed over $50 and got change back for $20. Queried it and the till was over $30 so I got my money back. Aldi do not put how much you hand over on their receipt so it your word against theirs until they do a tally. I never leave Aldi without checking my docket.

I feel she is just alerting people to check their receipts.There would hardly be a week goes by that I don’t pick up on an overpriced item or being charged twice for an item . I shop mainly at Woolworths.

I always check my receipts and 3 out of 10 are wrong on average the mistake always benefits the shop never me. I was charged for smoked ham $35 kg instead of Devon $10 kg. the excuse the codes are similar.

Can someone please explain to this silly woman you DO NOT go to social media...BUT to the store you got the goods from! Why do these cretins do this??
If you had 1/2 a brain you would se she is warning others of the mistakes that are made.

W
I don't think it's rude, it's common sense . People are so obsessed with posting every little detail of their, what must be, oh so boring lives, on social media these days.
Why ask complete strangers why you have a $20 charge on your receipt???Common sense would tell you to go back to the store and query it. in
It seems common sense is very uncommon these days.
well it gives boring people like you something to complain about in you dull little life.

I feel she is just alerting people to check their receipts.There would hardly be a week goes by that I don’t pick up on an overpriced item or being charged twice for an item . I shop mainly at Woolworths.
I very much doubt if she expected someone on social media to fix her problem...just answer this WHY would you go on social.media INSTEAD of just asking the store???

Reactions: mylittletibbies