ALDI shopper bares moral dilemma—what would you do in her place?

ALDI has become an incredibly popular supermarket across the country thanks to its unique business model, excellent selection, and affordable buys.

It’s no wonder that many flock to its stores to save on grocery bills.

However, it’s not all roses. As with any shopping experience, certain problems can arise. And for impeccably honest people, these complications can be anything but smooth sailing.

One ALDI shopper faced an ethical dilemma that has seen differing opinions from Aussies.

The situation unfolded after the shopper noticed an unusual note on her receipt.

‘Manual paper voucher imprint required,’ the receipt from ALDI’s Geraldton, WA, store read.

6a562fc45fa0be41c08a36a6617d0f6e.jpeg
This receipt has ignited a discussion among mums in Australia. Image source: Facebook

But upon reviewing her bank account, the shopper discovered that she had not been billed for her grocery shopping.

‘Does anyone know what this means? It’s been weeks, and the money still hasn’t gone out of my account,’ she captioned in a post on social media.

She intended to return to the store and inform the staff, but many quickly shared their opinions on what she should do instead.

Given the prevailing cost-of-living crisis, it was unsurprising that the majority of responses came from people suggesting she viewed the groceries as a fortuitous freebie.

‘I don’t know, but I’d take it as a win rather than bother saying anything, it’s not morally reprehensible like stealing from family or friends or even some random poor/working person, ALDI is a major company that can afford to lose $60,’ one commenter said.

‘I would take that as a win and not say anything,’ another added.

While many others agreed that the mum should simply deem herself ‘lucky’ and move on, some provided a possible explanation behind the billing error.

‘The bank didn't answer the EFTPOS machine quickly enough. So it goes offline,’ one person pointed out, with which many concurred.

Some contended it was right to inform ALDI.

‘I am not sure, but the cashier is responsible for it, and sometimes they have to pay or get a warning. I would go back,’ one said.

The mum who shared her dilemma also expressed discomfort with the suggestion to keep it quiet.

‘I’m a pretty honest person, so this doesn’t sit right with me just saying nothing. I also wouldn’t want the lady that served me potentially get in trouble,’ she explained.

Several individuals shared that they had experienced something similar, and despite sometimes weeks passing, they were eventually charged the amount for their groceries.

ALDI payment FAQ-EFTPOS.png
ALDI explains delays in EFTPOS transactions. Image source: ALDI

Meanwhile, ALDI’s payment FAQs mention that EFTPOS vouchers are processed daily, but occasional glitches between banks can cause delays.

The supermarket stresses its inability to discuss individual accounts and advises shoppers to contact their bank for assistance.

Key Takeaways

• A debate ensued after a woman realised her $62.94 ALDI shop was not charged to her account, and she asked social media users what she should do.
  • Most responses suggested she should consider the groceries free, given the current cost of living crisis and ALDI’s status as a major company that could afford the loss.
  • Some suggested the likely cause of the non-charging was a delay in the bank’s response to the EFTPOS machine, resulting in the machine going offline.
  • A few respondents argued that the right action would be to inform ALDI, as the cashier could be held responsible for the error.
Members, if you were the shopper, what would you do? Would you notify ALDI, or would you keep quiet and see it as a ‘blessing in disguise’? Share your actions in the comments below!

Reactions: Liag and Littleboy8
Sponsored
ALDI has become an incredibly popular supermarket across the country thanks to its unique business model, excellent selection, and affordable buys.

However, it’s not all roses. As with any shopping experience, certain problems can arise. And for impeccably honest people, these complications can be anything but smooth sailing.

One ALDI shopper faced an ethical dilemma that has seen differing opinions from Aussies.

The situation unfolded after the shopper noticed an unusual note on her receipt.

‘Manual paper voucher imprint required,’ the receipt from ALDI’s Geraldton, WA, store read.

View attachment 33607
This receipt has ignited a discussion among mums in Australia. Image source: Facebook

But upon reviewing her bank account, the shopper discovered that she had not been billed for her grocery shopping.

‘Does anyone know what this means? It’s been weeks, and the money still hasn’t gone out of my account,’ she captioned in a post on social media.

She intended to return to the store and inform the staff, but many quickly shared their opinions on what she should do instead.

Given the prevailing cost-of-living crisis, it was unsurprising that the majority of responses came from people suggesting she viewed the groceries as a fortuitous freebie.

‘I don’t know, but I’d take it as a win rather than bother saying anything, it’s not morally reprehensible like stealing from family or friends or even some random poor/working person, ALDI is a major company that can afford to lose $60,’ one commenter said.

While many others agreed that the mum should simply deem herself ‘lucky’ and move on, some provided a possible explanation behind the billing error.

‘The bank didn't answer the EFTPOS machine quickly enough. So it goes offline,’ one person pointed out, with which many concurred.

‘I am not sure, but the cashier is responsible for it, and sometimes they have to pay or get a warning. I would go back,’ one said.

The mum who shared her dilemma also expressed discomfort with the suggestion to keep it quiet.

‘I’m a pretty honest person, so this doesn’t sit right with me just saying nothing. I also wouldn’t want the lady that served me potentially get in trouble,’ she explained.

Several individuals shared that they had experienced something similar, and despite sometimes weeks passing, they were eventually charged the amount for their groceries.

View attachment 33608

Meanwhile, ALDI’s payment FAQs mention that EFTPOS vouchers are processed daily, but occasional glitches between banks can cause delays.

The supermarket stresses its inability to discuss individual accounts and advises shoppers to contact their bank for assistance.

Key Takeaways

• A debate ensued after a woman realised her $62.94 ALDI shop was not charged to her account, and she asked social media users what she should do.
  • Most responses suggested she should consider the groceries free, given the current cost of living crisis and ALDI’s status as a major company that could afford the loss.
  • Some suggested the likely cause of the non-charging was a delay in the bank’s response to the EFTPOS machine, resulting in the machine going offline.
  • A few respondents argued that the right action would be to inform ALDI, as the cashier could be held responsible for the error.
Members, if you were the shopper, what would you do? Would you notify ALDI, or would you keep quiet and see it as a ‘blessing in disguise’? Share your actions in the comments below!
I'm a great believer in Karma. And it will catch up with you. And honesty is the best policy after all

View attachment 33607

View attachment 33608

Key Takeaways

No question I’d go back to store and pay
Lots of stores are individually owned as a franchise not the major name so if everyone had that attitude local jobs lost maybe even store closes
Cashier should have checked your receipt but again we’re all human and make mistakes

Never mind the whole amount, looks like she pressed the credit button and got charged commission. 🙄

That's the only shop I won't just tap my phone on the machine to pay. I actually put my card in and press 'cheque' and don't get charged any commission.

No question I’d go back to store and pay
Lots of stores are individually owned as a franchise not the major name so if everyone had that attitude local jobs lost maybe even store closes
Cashier should have checked your receipt but again we’re all human and make mistakes
I agree with your thinking if it's a small business operator, but the owner of Aldi is the richest man in Germany. One of two Aldi operations, north & south.

Never mind the whole amount, looks like she pressed the credit button and got charged commission. 🙄

That's the only shop I won't just tap my phone on the machine to pay. I actually put my card in and press 'cheque' and don't get charged any commission.
does Aldi not pass on the 1.9% charge if you use a card? Or are you paying the fee via the cheque transaction? If so, still paying the bank fee.

Reactions: Jennie

View attachment 33607

View attachment 33608

Key Takeaways

I’d return to Aldi and rectify the situation within the store. Honesty is the best solution.

Just wondering if the cashier was left with an issue.
I went on a tea break in a club once, the supervisor took over my change draw for half an hour.
When I cashed up at the end of my shift, I was $50 short. This had never happened before as we always locked our draw, and the relief used the other draw. I was young and he insisted on using my draw.
I had to make up the money and no one would listen when I said what happened.

View attachment 33607

View attachment 33608

Key Takeaways

I agree with the person in the article who said that it can take some time for the payment to come out. I don't know why, but it happens. Give it a little more time, then sort it out if necessary.

View attachment 33607

View attachment 33608

Key Takeaways

go and tell the manager at Aldi what happened and pay what you owe in cash at the till.

View attachment 33607

View attachment 33608

Key Takeaways

I like to think I am an honest person. So if I did nothing in this situation, would I be honest? No. It would mean my honesty can be bought for $60.

View attachment 33607

View attachment 33608

Key Takeaways

From some of these replies, it seems that the concept of morality is somewhat vague in the Australian community.

Reactions: Jennie
I agree with the person in the article who said that it can take some time for the payment to come out. I don't know why, but it happens. Give it a little more time, then sort it out if necessary.
Agre with this but get the Manager to give you a written assurance that if the charge was to appear in your account again at a later date, they would re-imburse your the amount. Must be in writing - take a photocopy of the receipt and have Mgr note and sign it.

Reactions: Jersey Girl