ALDI sets the bar! Discover why it's the only supermarket in Australia to exclusively sell local avocados

Data released by Avocados Australia found that Aussies consumed around 4.76kg of avocados per person. So, it’s no secret that Aussies are mad about avocados!

Avocados have also taken over the nation’s breakfast tables, with everyone from kids to grandparents enjoying the superfood on toast or as a fresh and healthy snack.

Grocery stores have taken notice, and now, we’ve got another exciting development concerning avos: ALDI is now the first supermarket in Australia to stock 100 per cent Aussie avocados.

This is great news for everyone, especially those who are seeking a more affordable way to buy avocados without sacrificing quality.

compressed-349081105_185309774099220_460222436747033186_n.jpeg
Avocado is a diverse ingredient that can be eaten on its own, on toast, or combined with other ingredients. Credit: Facebook

Avocados Australia saluted ALDI’s decision to stock Australian avocados exclusively in all 586 of its stores.

'ALDI’s commitment to stock Australian avocados is a positive step forward for the industry given the strong supply we have forecasted from the region,' commented Avocado Australia’s Chief Executive Officer, John Tyas.

‘Avocados have well and truly become a staple in many of our customer's weekly shops. By making this commitment this year, we are proud to be forming long-term relationships with local growers and supporting them and their businesses to grow,’ he continued.

It’s great to see that supermarkets like ALDI are on board with supporting the Australian avocado industry and its hardworking growers.

ALDI’s Group Director of Produce, Matt Atley, spoke highly about the commitment they’ve made and the partnership they’ve formed with local farmers.

compressed-1.jpeg
ALDI partnered up with local farmers to distribute and stock avocados in all 586 stores. Credit: Shutterstock

'For us, seeing that Avo farmers around Australia are having a strong start to the season, particularly through the September to February harvesting period, means we can meet our customers’ insatiable demand for avos with purely Aussie fruit.'

'It is always our intention to support Aussie growers first, so it makes complete sense for us to stock only Australian avocados in our stores.

Having faith in the local crop also means that ALDI will be able to stock their shelves with the season’s best avocados (and lots of them!).

On top of that, Aussies can satisfy their demand for this delicious superfood without forking out too much money—regardless of whether they get it from ALDI's stores or online.

compressed-2.jpeg
Avocados are considered a staple in the Australian diet. Credit: Shutterstock

Our Aussie growers are doing their very best to provide fresh, high-quality produce to this nation, and it’s great to see household names like ALDI showing faith in this industry.

Key Takeaways
  • ALDI is now the first Australian supermarket to stock 100 per cent Australian-grown avocados in all its stores.
  • The demand for avocados in Australia has doubled over the last decade, with Australians consuming an average of 4.76kg of avocados per person.
  • Avocados Australia CEO John Tyas welcomed ALDI's commitment and said it's a 'positive step forward' for the industry given the strong supply forecasted from the region.
  • Matt Atley, Group Director of Produce at ALDI Australia, said they are committed to supporting local growers and it makes sense to stock only Australian avocados in their stores.

Do you agree with ALDI’s decision to support locally-grown avocados? How do you think ALDI’s decision will impact Australia’s local farmers? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Data released by Avocados Australia found that Aussies consumed around 4.76kg of avocados per person. So, it’s no secret that Aussies are mad about avocados!

Avocados have also taken over the nation’s breakfast tables, with everyone from kids to grandparents enjoying the superfood on toast or as a fresh and healthy snack.

Grocery stores have taken notice, and now, we’ve got another exciting development concerning avos: ALDI is now the first supermarket in Australia to stock 100 per cent Aussie avocados.

This is great news for everyone, especially those who are seeking a more affordable way to buy avocados without sacrificing quality.

View attachment 29874
Avocado is a diverse ingredient that can be eaten on its own, on toast, or combined with other ingredients. Credit: Facebook

Avocados Australia saluted ALDI’s decision to stock Australian avocados exclusively in all 586 of its stores.

'ALDI’s commitment to stock Australian avocados is a positive step forward for the industry given the strong supply we have forecasted from the region,' commented Avocado Australia’s Chief Executive Officer, John Tyas.

‘Avocados have well and truly become a staple in many of our customer's weekly shops. By making this commitment this year, we are proud to be forming long-term relationships with local growers and supporting them and their businesses to grow,’ he continued.

It’s great to see that supermarkets like ALDI are on board with supporting the Australian avocado industry and its hardworking growers.

ALDI’s Group Director of Produce, Matt Atley, spoke highly about the commitment they’ve made and the partnership they’ve formed with local farmers.

View attachment 29875
ALDI partnered up with local farmers to distribute and stock avocados in all 586 stores. Credit: Shutterstock

'For us, seeing that Avo farmers around Australia are having a strong start to the season, particularly through the September to February harvesting period, means we can meet our customers’ insatiable demand for avos with purely Aussie fruit.'

'It is always our intention to support Aussie growers first, so it makes complete sense for us to stock only Australian avocados in our stores.

Having faith in the local crop also means that ALDI will be able to stock their shelves with the season’s best avocados (and lots of them!).

On top of that, Aussies can satisfy their demand for this delicious superfood without forking out too much money—regardless of whether they get it from ALDI's stores or online.

View attachment 29876

Our Aussie growers are doing their very best to provide fresh, high-quality produce to this nation, and it’s great to see household names like ALDI showing faith in this industry.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI is now the first Australian supermarket to stock 100 per cent Australian-grown avocados in all its stores.
  • The demand for avocados in Australia has doubled over the last decade, with Australians consuming an average of 4.76kg of avocados per person.
  • Avocados Australia CEO John Tyas welcomed ALDI's commitment and said it's a 'positive step forward' for the industry given the strong supply forecasted from the region.
  • Matt Atley, Group Director of Produce at ALDI Australia, said they are committed to supporting local growers and it makes sense to stock only Australian avocados in their stores.

Do you agree with ALDI’s decision to support locally-grown avocados? How do you think ALDI’s decision will impact Australia’s local farmers? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
What a crock of pooh every person eats nearly 5 kilos of avocados really🙀 I don’t eat avocados there overpriced and have an acquired taste. 👎

Knowing the Aldi way of doing things, how soon will it happen that they advertise avos for sale at a you-beaut price, only for the hopefuls to roll up and find that they have either none in stock or only a couple of dozen for sale?

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
I personally don’t like avocados but a lot of my family members do,they all shop at Aldi.

Reactions: Ricci
What? 4.76 kgs of avocados per person! Is that per year? I'm lucky to have eaten 4.76 grams of avocado in my lifetime.
Does Australia import avocados? That's news to me. Having lived in Bundaberg for nearly ten years, as well as sugar cane, there are a squillion avocado farms along with macadamia.
So what's the big deal with avocado? "I'm eating avocado so I must be cool". Like kale, quinoa and broccolini, avocado is just a fake fad.

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci and Marilynne

View attachment 29874

View attachment 29875

View attachment 29876

Key Takeaways

Ĝreat news at this price do the growers make enough, hope so

Reactions: Ricci
I love avocado and do eat them a lot during summer especially on my salads but like someone else commented it is hit & miss if you get a nice one or not. The other day I cut into one and was lucky to get a 1/4 suitable to eat. I was unaware that we imported avocado's - where do they come from?

Someone wherever you are, tell us where avocados come from??? I agree Hass are the lottery, and shephards are the better buy.
An avocado cheesecake is absolutely divine by the way.

Reactions: Ricci and Leenie
Someone wherever you are, tell us where avocados come from??? I agree Hass are the lottery, and shephards are the better buy.
An avocado cheesecake is absolutely divine by the way.
The only reason Hass are a lottery is that all the squeezed avos is caused by inconsiderate people if they are not a purple to bark brown they are still a bit green, Shepard are not in the race,use your eyes not fingers

Reactions: Noraya and Ricci
The only reason Hass are a lottery is that all the squeezed avos is caused by inconsiderate people if they are not a purple to bark brown they are still a bit green, Shepard are not in the race,use your eyes not fingers
They are not only squeezed but a lot are also stung.

What? 4.76 kgs of avocados per person! Is that per year? I'm lucky to have eaten 4.76 grams of avocado in my lifetime.
Does Australia import avocados? That's news to me. Having lived in Bundaberg for nearly ten years, as well as sugar cane, there are a squillion avocado farms along with macadamia.
So what's the big deal with avocado? "I'm eating avocado so I must be cool". Like kale, quinoa and broccolini, avocado is just a fake fad.
I have found the Bundy avocados are usually one of the better ones ,n.ot too many have to be binned. Veggiepatch you were almost a neighbor as I live in Maryborough my hometown.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I have found the Bundy avocados are usually one of the better ones ,n.ot too many have to be binned. Veggiepatch you were almost a neighbor as I live in Maryborough my hometown.
I used to go to Maryborough and Hervey Bay a lot. Trouble is I never made it Fraser Island or K'gari (whatever it is). I always wanted to see the dingoes as I've owned several myself.

Nine times out of ten the Hass avo is brown inside and not eatable so is a waste of money. My pick is the Sheppard although I don’t buy many.
You’re not wrong there, the trick these days is to find an advocado that isn’t brown inside when you open it. I don’t know how many we‘ve thrown out, And I’m pretty sure it’s because, the supermarkets and others remove them from the shelves overnight and put them in their chill rooms, so from room temperature to chilling temperature, then back onto the shelves the next day to become room temperature. It’s not hard to find out this is what’s happening, you’ve only got to pick them up from the shelves and they are cold to the touch. Has anyone else found that this is the case?.