ALDI product allegedly set someone’s paddock on fire

To add some brightness to our homes, Solar-powered LED lights are the way to go. These have become a popular way for people to illuminate gardens and outdoor areas efficiently.

But for one resident, these convenient lights also came with serious fire risks.

After purchasing a set of solar LED lights from ALDI, Adelaide Hills resident Rebecca Brookes returned home one day to find her paddock ablaze. The solar panel on the lights had fallen off, and the unit had apparently sparked a fire in the dry grass.

When Brookes contacted ALDI to request a refund and warn them about the dangerous product, she claimed she was merely told to submit a complaint online.

Given how the situation ended up, Brookes is warning every shopper interested in getting this ALDI item to think twice before making the purchase.

‘I told the staff member that I had video of the product on fire, but he wasn't interested,’ Brookes said.

You can watch her video below:

The story might have turned differently if it had not rained that day when she returned home to the blaze.

She said: ‘This could have been catastrophic if on any other high fire danger day.’

In a recent story we covered, a common household item that was left switched on caused a disastrous fire in a family’s home while they were away. The incident left the family in shock, and nothing could’ve warned them about what they were about to see. Read more about this story here.

When it comes to maintaining safety within your home, practice really does make perfect. In light of the incident at Adelaide Hills, it feels especially pertinent to reinforce the importance of home fire safety. Basic measures can go a long way in preventing home fire disasters.

First, ensure you have a functioning smoke alarm in your home. Many disastrous fire accidents take place in homes without operating smoke detectors. Regularly test and change the batteries if needed.

Second, be mindful of the potential risks associated with electronic equipment, including lighting and appliances. Do not overload your outlets and power strips, and avoid running electrical cords under rugs and furniture, which can lead to overheating and trigger a fire.

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 8.48.16 AM.png
The solar LED light believed to have caused the fire was the 5W Solar Floodlight. Credit: ALDI

Investing in a professional electrician to conduct regular checks on your electrical systems, both indoor and outdoor, can be a life-saving decision.

Having a fire extinguisher on hand, and, more importantly, knowing how to use it, could stop a minor incident before escalating into a major disaster.

Lastly, consider creating a home fire escape plan that everyone in your household understands. Thinking ahead can save precious time in an actual emergency. Physical escape routes, emergency numbers, and a designated meeting spot outside the home-–are all vital components of a well-considered escape plan.

Key Takeaways

• A set of solar LED lights purchased from ALDI has been blamed for causing a fire in a woman's paddock in Adelaide Hills.
  • Rebecca Brookes, the homeowner, claims that the solar panel of the lights fell off, landed on her grass, and started a blaze.
  • After trying to warn ALDI about the dangerous product and request a refund, she was merely directed to lodge a complaint.
  • Ms Brookes warned potential buyers about the risks of the product, suggesting that the incident could have been catastrophic if the incident happened on another day.

What do you think about ALDI’s response? Do you have fire-prevention tips you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments below, and be safe, members!

Last edited:
Sponsored
My thought too was that these lights could have been purchased from any Retailer but this time it was ALDI who came under fire (again). No price was mentioned for these lights but, as the saying goes, 'you only get what you pay for' & 12 months isn't much of a warranty at all.
Could have been Bunnings, Mitre 10 (do they still exist?) or god forbid, The Reject Shop. Aldi get a kick in the guts again. Maybe some Germanophobia going on? (I made that word up!)

"She came home to find her paddock ablaze" . I thought a paddock was a large area with live stock and funny that she so happen to arrive home just as they were burning. And what her first thought was to grab her phone and film it and not put it out !!!

Something seems a little fishy here , maybe a Tiktoc story 🤔

Could have been Bunnings, Mitre 10 (do they still exist?) or god forbid, The Reject Shop. Aldi get a kick in the guts again. Maybe some Germanophobia going on? (I made that word up!)
maybe it was a full size paddock until dad yelled out honey l shruck the paddok

To add some brightness to our homes, Solar-powered LED lights are the way to go. These have become a popular way for people to illuminate gardens and outdoor areas efficiently.

But for one resident, these convenient lights also came with serious fire risks.

After purchasing a set of solar LED lights from ALDI, Adelaide Hills resident Rebecca Brookes returned home one day to find her paddock ablaze. The solar panel on the lights had fallen off, and the unit had apparently sparked a fire in the dry grass.

When Brookes contacted ALDI to request a refund and warn them about the dangerous product, she claimed she was merely told to submit a complaint online.

Given how the situation ended up, Brookes is warning every shopper interested in getting this ALDI item to think twice before making the purchase.

‘I told the staff member that I had video of the product on fire, but he wasn't interested,’ Brookes said.

The story might have turned differently if it had not rained that day when she returned home to the blaze.

She said: ‘This could have been catastrophic if on any other high fire danger day.’

In a recent story we covered, a common household item that was left switched on caused a disastrous fire in a family’s home while they were away. The incident left the family in shock, and nothing could’ve warned them about what they were about to see. Read more about this story here.

When it comes to maintaining safety within your home, practice really does make perfect. In light of the incident at Adelaide Hills, it feels especially pertinent to reinforce the importance of home fire safety. Basic measures can go a long way in preventing home fire disasters.

First, ensure you have a functioning smoke alarm in your home. Many disastrous fire accidents take place in homes without operating smoke detectors. Regularly test and change the batteries if needed.

Second, be mindful of the potential risks associated with electronic equipment, including lighting and appliances. Do not overload your outlets and power strips, and avoid running electrical cords under rugs and furniture, which can lead to overheating and trigger a fire.

View attachment 33334
The solar LED light believed to have caused the fire was the 5W Solar Floodlight. Credit: ALDI

Investing in a professional electrician to conduct regular checks on your electrical systems, both indoor and outdoor, can be a life-saving decision.

Having a fire extinguisher on hand, and, more importantly, knowing how to use it, could stop a minor incident before escalating into a major disaster.

Lastly, consider creating a home fire escape plan that everyone in your household understands. Thinking ahead can save precious time in an actual emergency. Physical escape routes, emergency numbers, and a designated meeting spot outside the home-–are all vital components of a well-considered escape plan.

Key Takeaways

• A set of solar LED lights purchased from ALDI has been blamed for causing a fire in a woman's paddock in Adelaide Hills.
  • Rebecca Brookes, the homeowner, claims that the solar panel of the lights fell off, landed on her grass, and started a blaze.
  • After trying to warn ALDI about the dangerous product and request a refund, she was merely directed to lodge a complaint.
  • Ms Brookes warned potential buyers about the risks of the product, suggesting that the incident could have been catastrophic if the incident happened on another day.

What do you think about ALDI’s response? Do you have fire-prevention tips you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments below, and be safe, members!

Very poor form Aldi. Take a leaf out of Woolworths book (re frog)

View attachment 33334

Key Takeaways

Having done a bit of research into outdoor lights (led/solar), I became aware of the IP rating. At the time I was considering purchasing some Aldi products but once I'd learned this rating I quickly changed my mind.

Aldi's IP rating, in contrast to other products is low, generally around the IP44-IP54 mark. The higher the numbers the better protection of ingress by foreign bodies, ie dust and water.

If you are going to put a product around your home that may have a tendency to be exposed to either of those, go for an IP65 as it is usually considered to be a generally safe product. Of course you will pay a bit more for the higher rated products, but isn't the safety of you and your home worth a few more dollars.

Here's a link that explains what the IP numbers mean : https://jdlighting.com.au/blog/do-you-know-what-is-ip-rating-here-are-the-simple-facts.html

...Cheers

It's certainly well worth the read

Reactions: Ezzy and Abby2
// To add some brightness to our homes, Solar-powered LED lights are the way to go. // - It certainly added some brightness to that person's home.

Reactions: Ezzy
Having done a bit of research into outdoor lights (led/solar), I became aware of the IP rating. At the time I was considering purchasing some Aldi products but once I'd learned this rating I quickly changed my mind.

Aldi's IP rating, in contrast to other products is low, generally around the IP44-IP54 mark. The higher the numbers the better protection of ingress by foreign bodies, ie dust and water.

If you are going to put a product around your home that may have a tendency to be exposed to either of those, go for an IP65 as it is usually considered to be a generally safe product. Of course you will pay a bit more for the higher rated products, but isn't the safety of you and your home worth a few more dollars.

Here's a link that explains what the IP numbers mean : https://jdlighting.com.au/blog/do-you-know-what-is-ip-rating-here-are-the-simple-facts.html

...Cheers

It's certainly well worth the read
thanks for that link :)

Reactions: Ezzy