ALDI may be the most budget-friendly supermarket, but here's WHY you should 'think twice' before going

Of the major supermarkets operating in Australia today, one has excelled in providing more affordable options for everyday items and fresh produce.

Whether you need to buy your weekly supply of vegetables or you just need to buy a handful of ingredients to make a simple chicken stir fry, it seems that ALDI is often considered the most convenient and cost-effective place to go.

According to Aldi's 2022 Price Report, which was published in May and is based on data analysis by PwC, a grocery basket from Aldi is typically 15% less expensive than a basket of the cheapest comparable products from its major competitors.

With a 74% customer approval rate, the findings show that three out of every four shoppers agree that Aldi offers lower prices than other supermarkets.

ZsbbzxNAzILlKjp69hfFHGTOOEk3jzTB6Ulk1O9LSTICzWIJehPyueY9yKg5167TU-ppE6i3bPDRNzWIZsOMfsqzR3CYBOKiV3dv2jqw5k_mksfjENOXhZKawyawK38I1Kz7E_xlc7vtusxt7e0

Among Australia's major supermarkets, Aldi offers the best prices. Credit: news.com.au.

A writer from news.com.au decided to conduct a 'shopping' test to see if Aldi really is the cheapest among the major supermarkets today.

Ben Graham doesn't typically do his grocery shopping at Aldi, so he was curious to see if the store's claims that its prices are lower are actually true.

"I tackled the German chain after visiting Coles and there was a marked difference in the price of the ingredients we needed," he said.

The first thing on his shopping list is red capsicum, which has an "eye-watering" price tag of $10.90 per kilogram at Coles. The same red capsicum cost $6.99 per kilogram at Aldi, which is a remarkable price difference.

The next thing on the list was chicken, which was also more affordable at Aldi coming in at $10.99 per kilogram as opposed to $14 per kilogram at Coles.

"A box of mushrooms at Aldi cost just $3.40, compared to $4.19 at Woolies and a whopping $5.50 at Coles," Graham added.

He also found that the ingredients for stir-fry weren't the only ones that were cheaper. He compared some other products, such as rump steaks, and found that Aldi was significantly less expensive at $18.99 per kilogram, as compared to Coles and Woolworths.

But it looks like shopping at Aldi also has a bit of a downside…

8kqEdeUN-PHolp6LkHuIzm07DYnEqLxV3cDqytkbVpM5rHFKMSfn9Vx6TQ6d-hyHMgL9dbN-SXnhRtcNHwi_rMuvZGgIjvId46NrnraVRhnsZMTBB-rxwEXWNZpfYPk9G0g3wE1tHJYtGe-_uOI

Most items were cheaper at Aldi, but some were also more expensive. Credit: news.com.au.

Graham mentioned that there was a problem that would cause him to "think twice" before coming back to Aldi again – and that is their "disappointing" selections for fresh produce and other items such as meat and baby wipes.

"The selection of fresh produce was disappointing with many green vegetables missing including snow peas, broccoli, cabbage and lettuce," he said. To be fair, there has been a widely publicised shortage of lettuce, and there was a shortage at Woolies as well.

"However, the shortages at Aldi also affected products like meat, with many different cuts missing from the shelves. It made it difficult to do a full shop at Aldi when there were so many important everyday items missing from the shelves – items that Coles and Woolies both had in abundance."

Due to these shortages, Graham had to go shopping at other stores in addition to his Aldi run to buy the items that the store was out of stock of.

"As a cheapskate, I am prepared to do this to get my hands on the discounted items at Aldi, but not everyone has the luxury of trotting around several shops when buying groceries," he said.

To see the breakdown of what his shopping trips cost at each store, take a look at the list below:

Coles
  • Broccoli: $11.50/kg (200g) – $2.30
  • Sugar snap peas $32/kg (200g) – $6.40
  • Carrot: 1kg bag $1.50
  • Zucchini: $4.90/kg (200g) – $0.98
  • Mushrooms: punnet $5.50
  • Red capsicum: $10.90/kg (200g) – $2.18
  • Onion: bag $1.50
  • Garlic: $25kg (80g) – $2
  • Soy sauce: $2.60
  • Chicken thigh: $14/kg (500g) – $9.27
  • Noodles: $2
Coles total: $36.23

Aldi
  • Broccoli: $9.99/kg (200g) – $1.99
  • Snow peas: $27.96/kg (200g) – $5.59
  • Carrot: $1.79 bag
  • Zucchini: $8.99/kg (200g) – $1.79
  • Mushrooms: punnet $3.40
  • Capsicum: $6.99/kg (200g) – $1.39
  • Onion: bag $2.49
  • Garlic: $24.99/kg – $2.49
  • Soy sauce: $1.79
  • Chicken: $10.99/kg (around 500g) – $5.40
  • Noodles: $1.79
Aldi total: $29.91

Woolworths
  • Broccoli: $11.90/kg (200g) – $2.38
  • Snow peas: $35.60/kg (200g) – $7.12
  • Carrot: 1kg bag $2.40
  • Mushrooms: punnet $4.15
  • Capsicum: $10.90/kg (200g) – $2.18
  • Garlic: $1.25
  • Soy sauce: $2.50
  • Chicken: $11.50/kg (500g) – $5.75
  • Noodles: $1.85
Woolies total: $32.06

So there you have it, folks!

Aldi might be the cheapest of the big supermarkets right now, but we have to warn you that they don't always have everything you need, so you might have to go to other stores to finish your list.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree that Aldi has the best prices to offer? Or do you find that other supermarkets such as Coles and Woolies are still more convenient for you? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
We love Aldi, however we do a to up at woolies and buy in bulk from Costco. There are days when we go to Aldi and the shelves need restocking badly with the meat regularly needing restocking

Of the major supermarkets operating in Australia today, one has excelled in providing more affordable options for everyday items and fresh produce.

Whether you need to buy your weekly supply of vegetables or you just need to buy a handful of ingredients to make a simple chicken stir fry, it seems that ALDI is often considered the most convenient and cost-effective place to go.

According to Aldi's 2022 Price Report, which was published in May and is based on data analysis by PwC, a grocery basket from Aldi is typically 15% less expensive than a basket of the cheapest comparable products from its major competitors.

With a 74% customer approval rate, the findings show that three out of every four shoppers agree that Aldi offers lower prices than other supermarkets.

ZsbbzxNAzILlKjp69hfFHGTOOEk3jzTB6Ulk1O9LSTICzWIJehPyueY9yKg5167TU-ppE6i3bPDRNzWIZsOMfsqzR3CYBOKiV3dv2jqw5k_mksfjENOXhZKawyawK38I1Kz7E_xlc7vtusxt7e0

Among Australia's major supermarkets, Aldi offers the best prices. Credit: news.com.au.

A writer from news.com.au decided to conduct a 'shopping' test to see if Aldi really is the cheapest among the major supermarkets today.

Ben Graham doesn't typically do his grocery shopping at Aldi, so he was curious to see if the store's claims that its prices are lower are actually true.

"I tackled the German chain after visiting Coles and there was a marked difference in the price of the ingredients we needed," he said.

The first thing on his shopping list is red capsicum, which has an "eye-watering" price tag of $10.90 per kilogram at Coles. The same red capsicum cost $6.99 per kilogram at Aldi, which is a remarkable price difference.

The next thing on the list was chicken, which was also more affordable at Aldi coming in at $10.99 per kilogram as opposed to $14 per kilogram at Coles.

"A box of mushrooms at Aldi cost just $3.40, compared to $4.19 at Woolies and a whopping $5.50 at Coles," Graham added.

He also found that the ingredients for stir-fry weren't the only ones that were cheaper. He compared some other products, such as rump steaks, and found that Aldi was significantly less expensive at $18.99 per kilogram, as compared to Coles and Woolworths.

8kqEdeUN-PHolp6LkHuIzm07DYnEqLxV3cDqytkbVpM5rHFKMSfn9Vx6TQ6d-hyHMgL9dbN-SXnhRtcNHwi_rMuvZGgIjvId46NrnraVRhnsZMTBB-rxwEXWNZpfYPk9G0g3wE1tHJYtGe-_uOI

Most items were cheaper at Aldi, but some were also more expensive. Credit: news.com.au.

Graham mentioned that there was a problem that would cause him to "think twice" before coming back to Aldi again – and that is their "disappointing" selections for fresh produce and other items such as meat and baby wipes.

"The selection of fresh produce was disappointing with many green vegetables missing including snow peas, broccoli, cabbage and lettuce," he said. To be fair, there has been a widely publicised shortage of lettuce, and there was a shortage at Woolies as well.

"However, the shortages at Aldi also affected products like meat, with many different cuts missing from the shelves. It made it difficult to do a full shop at Aldi when there were so many important everyday items missing from the shelves – items that Coles and Woolies both had in abundance."

Due to these shortages, Graham had to go shopping at other stores in addition to his Aldi run to buy the items that the store was out of stock of.

"As a cheapskate, I am prepared to do this to get my hands on the discounted items at Aldi, but not everyone has the luxury of trotting around several shops when buying groceries," he said.

To see the breakdown of what his shopping trips cost at each store, take a look at the list below:

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

Aldi might be the cheapest of the big supermarkets right now, but we have to warn you that they don't always have everything you need, so you might have to go to other stores to finish your list.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree that Aldi has the best prices to offer? Or do you find that other supermarkets such as Coles and Woolies are still more convenient for you? Let us know in the comments!
I’m a huge Aldi fan and tend to be able to get most of what I need there, however it has always been the case that if I need things that Aldi doesn’t have… I go elsewhere…. Still saving heaps by doing the bulk of my shop at Aldi!

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

I shop at both ALSI & Woollies

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

I shop at both ALDI & Woollies. I agree that some items may not be available in ALDI at times, but there are always fruit & veg barns around in the shopping mall to buy what I need. ALDL’s staple grocery items such as sugar, long life milk, veggies & meat are always priced cheaper! I am happy to go to ALDI first.

It might be ok to shop at ALDI but I take in to account of how far the store is from me and the cost to get there and back , for us living at Nambucca heads nsw our closest aldi store is 50 ks away where we have Woolworth and iga only a couple of ks away

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

Reactions: Mower
Coles and Woolworths also have gaping holes in the available vegetables etc on their shelves not just Aldi. We find the vegetables at Aldi are far better quality than the other two chains. Not very hard to go to two supermarkets to shop for what each has that you like!!!

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

And the profits they make go to Germany.

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

What are your thoughts? Do you agree that Aldi has the best prices to offer? Or do you find that other supermarkets such as Coles and Woolies are still more convenient for you? Let us know in the comments

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

We shop regularly at Aldi and can find just as much fresh produce there as we can at Cole. Whats more it is a lot fresher and lasts longer . Maybe the news Journo ahould look at some different Aldi stores. Whilst they dont have the millions of products the big chain have, the majority of essentials are there. Dont forget there is a supply issue because of the flodding in the eastern states and of course they will also throw covid in for supply issues. There is also a lot of Australian fresh produce.

I can never get all I want at Aldi. One particular day I needed to go to Woolies to get 27 items that Aldi didn’t have! I might as well get the lot at WW, and I don’t find a great difference in price because I mostly buy WW own brands.

Reactions: Mower and Ricci
Suck it up, Princess! Our nearest Aldi store is 1100km away and our town has only an eyewateringly expensive Woolworths and a Supa IGA, which while having excellent meat also usually requires a second-mortgage to afford veges.

We would happily kill to have Aldi in our town but they seem to have come to an expansionary halt at Rockhampton.

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

They may be the cheapest but have been to stores in Qld where fresh produce isn't that fresh with mouldy vegies at the back of the shelf. The staff don't seem overly pleased to be there at times!

• Sad
Reactions: Mower and Ricci

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

Yes I have found when it comes to aldi make a list of the basics you know they will have also the cheapest doesn't mean the taste is there we shop at all 3 supermarkets to get whatever we want

Coles and Woolworths also have gaping holes in the available vegetables etc on their shelves not just Aldi. We find the vegetables at Aldi are far better quality than the other two chains. Not very hard to go to two supermarkets to shop for what each has that you like!!!
Its very easy to go to more than one supermarket if you live in an area that has more than one available to shop at. Spare a thought for those of us that live in Regional areas and the distances that we have to travel to access the convenience of more than one supermarket; the closest supermarket to me is an IGA 25km away I like the store but think it is too expensive to do a weekly shop at, so the alternative is a 300km round trip to the closest larger town which offers me multiple Woolworths, Coles and larger IGA Stores as well as The closest regional ALdi supermarket. the current cost of fuel has to be factored in as well.

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

In Italy they have using playing at Aldi. When I told the staff that we don't have music at Aldi Australia, they couldn't understand why. Neither can I.

Aldi does have some great bargains, but there's no atmosphere, very limited selection, some items aren't offered at all and there's some inconsistency in offerings. There one week, gone the next. Very frustrating.