ALDI intensifies shoplifting crackdown

With the cost of living soaring and inflation hitting households hard, it's no wonder so many of our members are flocking to discount supermarkets like ALDI to make their precious dollars stretch further.

And recently, ALDI, our favourite low-cost, bulk-buy supermarket, has been in the news, and it’s regarding a noteworthy change in their checkout policy.

This announcement could impact your habit of bypassing the baskets and going for the bags, so let’s get into it.

It's come to light that some ALDI store employees in the UK have been told to refrain from servicing customers who don’t put their shopping bags on the checkout belts for inspection to ensure they are empty.

Explored initially by The Grocer magazine and confirmed by a store worker's revelation, ALDI has implemented this policy seemingly to deter shoplifting–an unfortunate reality that has seen an uptick in recent times.

aldi1.jpeg
An ALDI store worker said the store had introduced a new bag-checking policy. Credit: Shutterstock

The ALDI shop worker said: ‘We are asking that they allow us to look in the bags to see if they are empty. We have been asking to look in the bags to make sure none of our items are in there.’

In the wake of the cost-of-living crisis and an inflation-driven hike in food prices, the rule could be seen as a necessary albeit unpleasant deterrent against theft.

The crux here is that customers who decline these searches may be refused a sale. However, it appears this policy is yet to be enforced across the UK and that bag checks are only conducted with the shopper's consent.

The employee also shared that customers walking out of the store may be stopped by security if they were suspected of shoplifting.

ALDI Australia’s website also mentions a similar policy. It states: ‘It is a condition of entry that all bags, parcels, prams and containers are presented for inspection.’

aldi2.jpeg
The ALDI worker claimed that those refusing to comply with the search would also be refused the sale. Credit: Shutterstock

This newly induced rule sparked diverse opinions among local ALDI personnel.

One worker stated: ‘New policy at ALDI, all empty shopping bags must be on the belt plus all shopping.’

While others are more concerned about situations where shoppers could be stopped by security upon exiting the store suspected of theft.

A spokesperson for the retailer told reporters that these searches were only taking place in select stores as a ‘short-term measure’ and shoppers will not be stopped from buying anything or leaving the store.

This policy is also separate from the rules enforced by security guards, said the spokesperson.

‘This only covers the bags they're using to pack their shopping, not handbags or personal bags,’ they explained.

Apparently, the bag check policy isn't a fresh idea and has been reported as early as May. And it's not only ALDI; several retailers are tightening up security as shoplifting rates climb.

Bag search policies.jpg
Shoppers have the following rights in Australia. Credit: The Seniors Discount Club

To add context, food costs are on the rise mainly due to the ongoing war in Ukraine and poor harvests in some European countries. This has caused food inflation to reach a whopping 19.4 per cent in March, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Many supermarkets are reacting by increasing security, including stricter security tags and even lock boxes on everyday items such as cheese, coffee, and chocolate.

If you do encounter any problems while shopping, it’s best to politely check with the store employees or manager.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI stores in the UK have implemented a new policy where staff can refuse service to customers who do not comply with bag checks.
  • The supermarket claims this policy is a short-term measure and is only carried out with the consent of shoppers.
  • Shoplifters suspected on the premises can be stopped by security.
  • ALDI Australia’s website also mentions a similar policy, stating that a condition of entry into each store includes an inspection of all bags, parcels, prams and containers.
What are your thoughts on this policy? Have you encountered anything similar while out shopping? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
With the cost of living soaring and inflation hitting households hard, it's no wonder so many of our members are flocking to discount supermarkets like ALDI to make their precious dollars stretch further.

And recently, ALDI, our favourite low-cost, bulk-buy supermarket, has been in the news, and it’s regarding a noteworthy change in their checkout policy.

This announcement could impact your habit of bypassing the baskets and going for the bags, so let’s get into it.

It's come to light that some ALDI store employees in the UK have been told to refrain from servicing customers who don’t put their shopping bags on the checkout belts for inspection to ensure they are empty.

Explored initially by The Grocer magazine and confirmed by a store worker's revelation, ALDI has implemented this policy seemingly to deter shoplifting–an unfortunate reality that has seen an uptick in recent times.

View attachment 26677
An ALDI store worker said the store had introduced a new bag-checking policy. Credit: Shutterstock

The ALDI shop worker said: ‘We are asking that they allow us to look in the bags to see if they are empty. We have been asking to look in the bags to make sure none of our items are in there.’

In the wake of the cost-of-living crisis and an inflation-driven hike in food prices, the rule could be seen as a necessary albeit unpleasant deterrent against theft.

The crux here is that customers who decline these searches may be refused a sale. However, it appears this policy is yet to be enforced across the UK and that bag checks are only conducted with the shopper's consent.

The employee also shared that customers walking out of the store may be stopped by security if they were suspected of shoplifting.

ALDI Australia’s website also mentions a similar policy. It states: ‘It is a condition of entry that all bags, parcels, prams and containers are presented for inspection.’

View attachment 26678
The ALDI worker claimed that those refusing to comply with the search would also be refused the sale. Credit: Shutterstock

One worker stated: ‘New policy at ALDI, all empty shopping bags must be on the belt plus all shopping.’

While others are more concerned about situations where shoppers could be stopped by security upon exiting the store suspected of theft.

A spokesperson for the retailer told reporters that these searches were only taking place in select stores as a ‘short-term measure’ and shoppers will not be stopped from buying anything or leaving the store.

This policy is also separate from the rules enforced by security guards, said the spokesperson.

‘This only covers the bags they're using to pack their shopping, not handbags or personal bags,’ they explained.

Apparently, the bag check policy isn't a fresh idea and has been reported as early as May. And it's not only ALDI; several retailers are tightening up security as shoplifting rates climb.

View attachment 26713
Shoppers have the following rights in Australia. Credit: The Seniors Discount Club

To add context, food costs are on the rise mainly due to the ongoing war in Ukraine and poor harvests in some European countries. This has caused food inflation to reach a whopping 19.4 per cent in March, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Many supermarkets are reacting by increasing security, including stricter security tags and even lock boxes on everyday items such as cheese, coffee, and chocolate.

If you do encounter any problems while shopping, it’s best to politely check with the store employees or manager.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI stores in the UK have implemented a new policy where staff can refuse service to customers who do not comply with bag checks.
  • The supermarket claims this policy is a short-term measure and is only carried out with the consent of shoppers.
  • ALDI Australia’s website also mentions a similar policy, stating that a condition of entry into each store includes an inspection of all bags, parcels, prams and containers.
What are your thoughts on this policy? Have you encountered anything similar while out shopping? Let us know in the comments below!
I do not visit Aldi's

View attachment 26677

View attachment 26678

View attachment 26713

Key Takeaways

I do not visit Aldi's very often but when I do I have ALWAYS been asked by the check out person if they can take a look in my shopping bags, always! It is not new!

I'm sorry, but that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard
One of the reasons they can keep their prices down is that you pack yourself.
Why make such a mountain out of a molehill and making yourself look so silly in the process
Really, the police and a solicitor, you must have money to burn, perhaps you could also pay the solicitor to do your shopping for you and save the terrible inconvenience of having your bag checked. What on earth do you keep in your bag that is soooo private
LOL
Maybe used pads or underwear? But yes, what would be so personal? A lady who owned a small corner store said she knew of some regulars that used to hide meat and dearer items in their kids nappies and prams etc

How else are they going to deter shop lifting? Do you feel intimidated at Coles or Woolies or other stores who check? Unfortunately the rising incidents of shop lifting has led to this. Do you really believe the perpetrators should get away with it? Anyone with nothing to hide should be more than willing to support them.
I have never had anyone at Coles or Woolies ask to look inside my handbag.

A few weeks ago I shopped at Aldi in Melbournes East. I was wearing a back pack and I was asked to open it for inspection, as I had not taken anything it was not a problem but I did feel uncomfortable having to open a personal bag, on the other hand I understand shoplifting is a big problem hence my cooperation.
How are they going to police this once they introduce self-serving checkouts? They have plans in place to introduce these self-service checkouts within the next month in the branch that I visit. How will they police the sale of liquor?

View attachment 26677

View attachment 26678

View attachment 26713

Key Takeaways

I thought this policy was always in place. It was always a thing going back over 50 years ago- did it fade out somewhere along the line? Am always happy to open my bags for checking- I have nothing to hide. If the notice is there prior to entering a store, and you've still entered, then you have no excuse to refuse them checking. It's not like they rifle through your bag. We, the customer, opens the bag up, they check inside without touching your bag, and if you haven't stashed anything in there, you are good to leave. To me, if you have nothing to be guilty about or to hide, then there won't be a problem. It's been a thing for over 50+ years so why start moaning about it now? 😁

I am not troubled by this at all, if you are innocent what have you got to hide. If they ask me I show them my empty bags. Rather than not stopping the shoplifting, I cannot see any other way to deter the thiefs. I know times are desperate but most stores have this policy. My aged care support worker went shopping for me the other day and saw the police leading someone away from the Toy Store, it is a sad state of affairs for the store, the police and the person.