ALDI customers outraged over latest Special Buys pillow release

We all love a good bargain, and ALDI is one of the best places to buy products with good value for money.

But it looks like some shoppers have had their feathers ruffled after finding their recent ALDI purchases have been causing them to lose sleep.

ALDI offers duck feather pillows as part of its bedroom range, and these are a firm favourite for people who need support for their head, neck, and back while sleeping.

But a man from Perth said that when he and his partner nabbed a set of the duck feather pillows, they felt like they were being spiked during the night by small, sharp barbs.

pillow1.jpg
The couple said they were disappointed with the duck feather pillows they purchased from ALDI. Credit: PNW Production/Pexels

‘My partner and I felt needles in our arms and hands,’ the man said.

According to the man, once they inspected the pillows closely, they found that the pointy barbs were still attached to the feathers inside.

‘The pointy end of the feathers had not been removed from the feathers when manufacturing, and all the duck feathers were sticking out of the pillow like thousands of hypodermic needles,’ he continued.

‘It was sticking out of the lining. There were hundreds of them.’

The customer then said he returned the pillows to ALDI in Cannington, and was offered a refund. However, he refused the offer because he was concerned for the safety of others.

‘I’m sure this is not just in the two pillows I bought,’ he claimed before adding that he was sure more items were affected.

pillow2.jpg
The man claimed he and his partner kept being ‘spiked’ through the night by the quills. Credit: Supplied via PerthNow

But this isn’t the first time a customer has complained of the ‘sharp’ duck feather pillows. ALDI customer Louise B. also recalled that she had the same problem two years ago. She also said that she got so ‘fed up’ that she ended up giving the pillows to her dogs to sleep on.

‘The feathers poke through the pillow and the cover and stick into me all night. I can’t use them at all, so I’ve given them to my dogs, who will no doubt enjoy snoozing on them for a night until they decide to rip them into a million pieces,’ she said.

Another customer complained about the pointy pillows scratching him for six months before he finally decided to throw them away.

However, it is important to note that duck or geese feathers are flat and have distinct quills, and it is to be expected that quills could poke through if you sleep with these types of pillows. A higher-quality shell or casing should ensure you don’t get prodded with the quills as you sleep.

But the spikes are not the only issue here, as many shoppers have complained that ALDI’s duck feather pillows ‘smell bad’ even after a couple of washes.

ALDI shopper Danielle Blinks confronted the German supermarket on social media a few years back.

‘I love you, ALDI, but those duck feather pillows kind of smell…I’ve washed them as suggested, but it’s still got that “polluted ocean” aroma?’ She wrote in a post to ALDI’s Facebook page.

This prompted dozens of people to comment that they, too, noticed an unpleasant smell coming from their own pillow purchases.

‘I washed two ALDI feather pillows today. One was fine, but the other smells like there was something dead in it. I couldn’t bring it into the house,’ one shared.

Someone added: ‘Well, I asked at the shop. The man said to try the dryer, but I don’t have one. So, I tried washing, and now I’m on the line…I wonder if they treated the tips of the feathers? It makes me feel sick, sadly, as I really wanted them.’

Another complained that their home smelled like a farm. ‘I washed them a couple of times, and they still stunk,’ they continued.

‘I’m glad I found this thread. I pulled the pillows out of the package and it smells like a dirty chicken (or duck) coup. I don’t think the feathers have been treated or treated properly. It shouldn’t smell like a bird,’ one more commented.

Customers who are not satisfied with items they purchase from ALDI can return the product to get a full refund.

According to the store’s policy: ‘If you’re not completely satisfied with one of our everyday grocery items or Special Buys, you can return it for a refund or replacement within 60 days.’ Customers are then instructed to bring back the product to any ALDI store with proof of purchase, such as the receipt, a bank statement, a warranty card, or a credit card statement, and ideally, with the product packaging. You can also visit ALDI’s Help Centre for more information.

‘Our friendly staff will then assist you with a refund or replacement,’ the store said.
Key Takeaways
  • ALDI shoppers have reported that 'scratchy' duck-feather pillows have been spiked by small, sharp barbs.
  • Customers have complained that the feathers may not have been properly treated, leaving them with a bad odour.
  • Some shoppers have returned the pillows to the store and received a full refund, while others have complained to ALDI’s social media page.
  • Return policies at ALDI say that customers who are not satisfied with their purchase can get a full refund.
Have you encountered a similar experience, members? Share your stories in the comments section – we’d love to hear from you!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Ricci and terri
Sponsored
We all love a good bargain, and ALDI is one of the best places to buy products with good value for money.

But it looks like some shoppers have had their feathers ruffled after finding their recent ALDI purchases have been causing them to lose sleep.

ALDI offers duck feather pillows as part of its bedroom range, and these are a firm favourite for people who need support for their head, neck, and back while sleeping.

But a man from Perth said that when he and his partner nabbed a set of the duck feather pillows, they felt like they were being spiked during the night by small, sharp barbs.

View attachment 15205
The couple said they were disappointed with the duck feather pillows they purchased from ALDI. Credit: PNW Production/Pexels

According to the man, once they inspected the pillows closely, they found that the pointy barbs were still attached to the feathers inside.

‘The pointy end of the feathers had not been removed from the feathers when manufacturing, and all the duck feathers were sticking out of the pillow like thousands of hypodermic needles,’ he continued.

The customer then said he returned the pillows to ALDI in Cannington, and was offered a refund. However, he refused the offer because he was concerned for the safety of others.

‘I’m sure this is not just in the two pillows I bought,’ he claimed before adding that he was sure more items were affected.

View attachment 15206
The man claimed he and his partner kept being ‘spiked’ through the night by the quills. Credit: Supplied via PerthNow

But this isn’t the first time a customer has complained of the ‘sharp’ duck feather pillows. ALDI customer Louise B. also recalled that she had the same problem two years ago. She also said that she got so ‘fed up’ that she ended up giving the pillows to her dogs to sleep on.

‘The feathers poke through the pillow and the cover and stick into me all night. I can’t use them at all, so I’ve given them to my dogs, who will no doubt enjoy snoozing on them for a night until they decide to rip them into a million pieces,’ she said.

Another customer complained about the pointy pillows scratching him for six months before he finally decided to throw them away.

However, it is important to note that duck or geese feathers are flat and have distinct quills, and it is to be expected that quills could poke through if you sleep with these types of pillows. A higher-quality shell or casing should ensure you don’t get prodded with the quills as you sleep.

But the spikes are not the only issue here, as many shoppers have complained that ALDI’s duck feather pillows ‘smell bad’ even after a couple of washes.

ALDI shopper Danielle Blinks confronted the German supermarket on social media a few years back.

‘I love you, ALDI, but those duck feather pillows kind of smell…I’ve washed them as suggested, but it’s still got that “polluted ocean” aroma?’ She wrote in a post to ALDI’s Facebook page.

This prompted dozens of people to comment that they, too, noticed an unpleasant smell coming from their own pillow purchases.

‘I washed two ALDI feather pillows today. One was fine, but the other smells like there was something dead in it. I couldn’t bring it into the house,’ one shared.

Someone added: ‘Well, I asked at the shop. The man said to try the dryer, but I don’t have one. So, I tried washing, and now I’m on the line…I wonder if they treated the tips of the feathers? It makes me feel sick, sadly, as I really wanted them.’

Another complained that their home smelled like a farm. ‘I washed them a couple of times, and they still stunk,’ they continued.

‘I’m glad I found this thread. I pulled the pillows out of the package and it smells like a dirty chicken (or duck) coup. I don’t think the feathers have been treated or treated properly. It shouldn’t smell like a bird,’ one more commented.

Customers who are not satisfied with items they purchase from ALDI can return the product to get a full refund.

According to the store’s policy: ‘If you’re not completely satisfied with one of our everyday grocery items or Special Buys, you can return it for a refund or replacement within 60 days.’ Customers are then instructed to bring back the product to any ALDI store with proof of purchase, such as the receipt, a bank statement, a warranty card, or a credit card statement, and ideally, with the product packaging. You can also visit ALDI’s Help Centre for more information.

‘Our friendly staff will then assist you with a refund or replacement,’ the store said.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI shoppers have reported that 'scratchy' duck-feather pillows have been spiked by small, sharp barbs.
  • Customers have complained that the feathers may not have been properly treated, leaving them with a bad odour.
  • Some shoppers have returned the pillows to the store and received a full refund, while others have complained to ALDI’s social media page.
  • Return policies at ALDI say that customers who are not satisfied with their purchase can get a full refund.
Have you encountered a similar experience, members? Share your stories in the comments section – we’d love to hear from you!
Regarding the smell, maybe they are filling the pillows with feathers plucked from too near the arse!!

View attachment 15205

View attachment 15206

Key Takeaways

Several years ago we decided to buy an eiderdown, but realised the fact about the quills, having bought a feather filled pillow previously, which we couldn't use...not from Aldi.
We went the the whole way and bought the eiderdown/ doona with no quills.It cost a lot but is perfect as it is so light and warm...and has NO spikes..It was bought from Spotlight.

Reactions: Ricci and debjane
Growing up in Europe, I was used to feather doonas and pillows for the first 20 years of my life. The fabric for the pillows was very tightly woven to prevent quills from poking through.

Here in Australia, I purchased my first feather doona way back in 1981, my daughter still uses it for her guest bedroom. Since then I have purchased about 7 doonas ranging from 50/50 to 95/5 duck down/feather, they are all washed on a regular basis. I purchased my first 4 feather pillows at Myer back in 1990 and currently have 16 feather pillows. All pillows have protective covers and whilst the odd feather manages to poke through the pillow cover, they cannot get through the quilted protective cover.

I can't help feeling that the story is vastly exaggerated.

Reactions: Ricci and DavidC57
I had the same problem with feather pillows bought from Harris Scarfe, very scratchy and pokey, needle like things sticking through, had to stop using them in the end as I got poked to close to my eye for comfort, they had no odour just spikes sticking out.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
People have to understand that there is a difference between duck feathers and down. Feathers have the hard centre piece still in and down has it stripped away. You get what you pay for in this case.
My great grandmother always made down comforters and pillows and mattresses by hand. She would sit for hours on end stripping the down from the feathers to stuff her home made bedding. She would make one for us to lie on and the other went on top. It felt like sitting under a chook!