Alarming rise in Buruli ulcer cases: Are you at risk of this infectious skin disease?

Content Warning: This article mentions a graphic description of a limb infection that some readers may find disturbing. Discretion is advised.

With summer just around the corner, everyone is excited at the thought of warmer weather and its joys. Beaches, BBQs, sunshine—it's what holidays are made of.

However, this season isn't without its problems, as health authorities in Victoria have come forward to warn residents about a concerning rise in cases of an infectious skin disease.

The disease in question is named Buruli ulcer, and cases of this rare, flesh-eating bacterial infection have risen in the state—especially in the last few months.

Fiona Wordie, a 66-year-old grandmother from Coburg, detailed her experience with the disease.

It all began for her after feeling an itch on her foot and assuming it was a spider bite. But a sore appeared, and it got bigger and painful within days.

compressed-shutterstock_622847660.jpeg
Fiona Wordie shared her experience with Buruli ulcer. Credit: s style/Shutterstock

'The foot was all purple, the skin was all peeling off,' Fiona said.

Fiona was then admitted to the hospital, where her doctors were initially baffled. But the diagnosis was made eventually—she was suffering from Buruli ulcer, a skin disease caused by the Mycobacterium ulcerans bacteria.

‘I was in agony,’ she described. ‘I got nerve pain in the wound, and that is the worst pain I have ever felt...it was shocking. I thought I was going to lose my leg.’

What is Buruli ulcer?

Essentially, the Mycobacterium ulcerans bacteria emit toxins that destroy tissue. This leads to the formation of the ulcers and possible skin loss.

The cases of this disease are increasing in Melbourne, with 216 reported so far for 2023.

Infectious diseases Professor Eugene Athan explained that summer is the main season for exposure to this disease.

How exactly it spreads is unknown, but he said researchers believe it could be spread through soil contamination or possum droppings, as well as with likely direct contact with water bodies like rivers, lakes, etc.

‘In their (the possums) droppings, in the environment, they potentially could introduce the bacteria into an area, a parkland where people might spend time, walk the dogs,’ he stated.

‘There is also an association with water bodies, rivers, lakes, et cetera.’

More recently, evidence has begun to mount about the possibility of mosquitos carrying and transferring Buruli ulcer.

People living with diabetes, in particular, are a risk group for contracting this infection, according to Professor Athan.

'We found two key risk factors among hosts: the risk factor of having underlying diabetes as a diagnosis increases the risk of developing the disease,' he explained.

'The other risk group were those who spent a lot of time working or spending time outdoors.'

The disease is commonly found along the Mornington, Bellarine Peninsulas, and Geelong coastal locations. This time, however, it made its way to Melbourne’s inner north.

Affected locations include Pascoe Vale South, Essendon, Brunswick West, Moonee Ponds and Strathmore.

Fiona, who spent two weeks at the hospital, also has diabetes.

She was diagnosed with Buruli ulcer in June but believes she contracted the bacteria in November last year. This is possible since the average incubation period for the disease is estimated between four to five months and can be as long as nine months.

She also recalled where she got the infection. ‘(I have a) birdhouse...(and) a possum lives in there.’

‘I’ve got a little pond there full of water and sludge, and mosquitos everywhere,’ she said.

That's why it's so important to take precautions against this infection.

Members, if you're planning on enjoying day trips outside in the warm weather, ensure that you have your arms and legs covered and apply insect repellent.

It's also important to wash open wounds immediately and ensure that you are constantly washing your hands after being outdoors.

Buruli ulcer is an infection you do not want to take lightly. For more information on this infection, visit Victoria’s Better Health Channel and Health Direct. We also recommend speaking to your doctor.

Key Takeaways

• Victorians have been alerted to increasing cases of a flesh-eating bacterial infection, the Buruli ulcer, in the state.
  • The disease, caused by the bacteria Mycobacterium ulcerans, results in skin loss and ulcers, and numbers are on the rise in Melbourne, with 216 cases so far this year.
  • Researchers believe the bacteria is potentially spread through soil contamination or possum droppings; there's also evidence of transmission through mosquitos.
  • To prevent infection, Victorians are urged to apply insect repellent, cover their limbs, cleanse any wounds promptly, and wash hands after spending time outdoors.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Content Warning: This article mentions a graphic description of a limb infection that some readers may find disturbing. Discretion is advised.

With summer just around the corner, everyone is excited at the thought of warmer weather and its joys. Beaches, BBQs, sunshine—it's what holidays are made of.

However, this season isn't without its problems, as health authorities in Victoria have come forward to warn residents about a concerning rise in cases of an infectious skin disease.

The disease in question is named Buruli ulcer, and cases of this rare, flesh-eating bacterial infection have risen in the state—especially in the last few months.

Fiona Wordie, a 66-year-old grandmother from Coburg, detailed her experience with the disease.

It all began for her after feeling an itch on her foot and assuming it was a spider bite. But a sore appeared, and it got bigger and painful within days.

View attachment 30531
Fiona Wordie shared her experience with Buruli ulcer. Credit: s style/Shutterstock

Fiona was then admitted to the hospital, where her doctors were initially baffled. But the diagnosis was made eventually—she was suffering from Buruli ulcer, a skin disease caused by the Mycobacterium ulcerans bacteria.

‘I was in agony,’ she described. ‘I got nerve pain in the wound, and that is the worst pain I have ever felt...it was shocking. I thought I was going to lose my leg.’

What is Buruli ulcer?

Essentially, the Mycobacterium ulcerans bacteria emit toxins that destroy tissue. This leads to the formation of the ulcers and possible skin loss.

The cases of this disease are increasing in Melbourne, with 216 reported so far for 2023.

Infectious diseases Professor Eugene Athan explained that summer is the main season for exposure to this disease.

How exactly it spreads is unknown, but he said researchers believe it could be spread through soil contamination or possum droppings, as well as with likely direct contact with water bodies like rivers, lakes, etc.

‘In their (the possums) droppings, in the environment, they potentially could introduce the bacteria into an area, a parkland where people might spend time, walk the dogs,’ he stated.

More recently, evidence has begun to mount about the possibility of mosquitos carrying and transferring Buruli ulcer.

People living with diabetes, in particular, are a risk group for contracting this infection, according to Professor Athan.

'We found two key risk factors among hosts: the risk factor of having underlying diabetes as a diagnosis increases the risk of developing the disease,' he explained.

'The other risk group were those who spent a lot of time working or spending time outdoors.'

The disease is commonly found along the Mornington, Bellarine Peninsulas, and Geelong coastal locations. This time, however, it made its way to Melbourne’s inner north.

Affected locations include Pascoe Vale South, Essendon, Brunswick West, Moonee Ponds and Strathmore.

She was diagnosed with Buruli ulcer in June but believes she contracted the bacteria in November last year. This is possible since the average incubation period for the disease is estimated between four to five months and can be as long as nine months.

She also recalled where she got the infection. ‘(I have a) birdhouse...(and) a possum lives in there.’

‘I’ve got a little pond there full of water and sludge, and mosquitos everywhere,’ she said.

Members, if you're planning on enjoying day trips outside in the warm weather, ensure that you have your arms and legs covered and apply insect repellent.

It's also important to wash open wounds immediately and ensure that you are constantly washing your hands after being outdoors.

Buruli ulcer is an infection you do not want to take lightly. For more information on this infection, visit Victoria’s Better Health Channel and Health Direct. We also recommend speaking to your doctor.

Key Takeaways

• Victorians have been alerted to increasing cases of a flesh-eating bacterial infection, the Buruli ulcer, in the state.
  • The disease, caused by the bacteria Mycobacterium ulcerans, results in skin loss and ulcers, and numbers are on the rise in Melbourne, with 216 cases so far this year.
  • Researchers believe the bacteria is potentially spread through soil contamination or possum droppings; there's also evidence of transmission through mosquitos.
  • To prevent infection, Victorians are urged to apply insect repellent, cover their limbs, cleanse any wounds promptly, and wash hands after spending time outdoors.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

• Wow
Reactions: Sockjoan

View attachment 30531

What is Buruli ulcer?

Key Takeaways

I'm like many people suffering with a form of this disease caused by political inaction, there isn't an incubation period it suddenly affects the wallet when out shopping!!!!!

Last edited:

View attachment 30531

What is Buruli ulcer?

Key Takeaways

bloody hell this scares the oldies and why not. Please could we have some nice pieces to read. also sick of scams. where to buy cheap groceries. we are not dills.

We have being holidaying in Rye Mornington Peninsula for over 30 years.
In the last 4 years both my father and brother have contracted this ulcer.
I can tell you it's horrifying, painful and disgusting to look at. In both cases it took at least 12 months to clear up and even then it left scars on their legs!

I can tell you it's horrifying, painful and disgusting to look at. In both cases it took at least 12 months to clear up and even then it left scars on their legs!
😳

Sooo you've been holidaying for nearly 30 years to this place yet it has only happened in the last 4 years - I am wondering, was this post or pre-vaccination?

Sooo you've been holidaying for nearly 30 years to this place yet it has only happened in the last 4 years - I am wondering, was this post or pre-vaccination?
We have a beach house and spent lots of time there with many family members.
For some strange reason only my father and brother contracted it