Alarming health alert: Could sharing your food raise your risk for stomach cancer?

As we Senior Discount Clubbers know, sharing treats with our friends and family brings us a lot of pleasure and joy. After all, it’s great fun to show off a homecooked dish or split a yummy dessert with your pals–and there’s nothing quite like a good old picnic with your favourite people.

But do you ever wonder what health hazards come with sharing food or water? Believe it or not, it could increase your risk of developing stomach cancer.

Dr Samuel Choudhury, a Singaporean general practitioner (GP), has been creating content on social media that focus on several medical cases. One of his videos features a particular bacteria that, if left untreated, could lead to stomach cancer.

This bacteria is called Helicobacter pylori, or H. pylori for short. And according to the doctor, it’s shockingly easy to catch.

'Do you like sharing food with your friends or maybe just sharing water? I got news for you,' Dr Choudhury shared on social media.

'So today’s mystery guest affects about 50 per cent of the world’s population and has been identified as one of the primary risk factors for developing stomach cancer.'

photo.jpg
Dr Samuel Choudhury discussed a bacteria that could potentially increase stomach cancer risks. Credit: @skingapore/TikTok

Dr Choudhury also mentioned that the bacteria survive the stomach's acidic environment and are commonly found in family members.

But, he said, don’t worry–just because you might have H. pylori doesn’t mean you will develop stomach cancer.

'Although a lot of us will have H. pylori, only about 20 per cent have symptoms, only about 10 per cent develop gastric ulcers–and one per cent end up having gastric cancer,' he said.

'So having this bacteria doesn’t mean that you will develop stomach cancer–but it does increase your risk of stomach cancer.'

So what can you do to minimise your chances?

According to Cancer Council, the most effective way to prevent the spread of H. pylori is to take strict hygiene measures, especially when handling food and water. This includes washing your hands before cooking and eating, being diligent about food storage and temperature, and of course, avoiding sharing your food or water with people you don’t know well enough.

But if you’ve been detected with H. pylori, don’t panic! The doctor advised that treatments are available, which involve antibiotics and gastric medication. He also said informing your general practitioner if you’re experiencing any persistent gastric symptoms is essential.

Dr Choudhury’s video was viewed close to a million times, with many confessing to being terrified and vowing never to eat another’s food again.

One user replied to his video, saying ‘Thank god I don’t like sharing food or drinks.’

Some of the users even shared their own experience with this bacteria.

‘I had H. pylori and it’s not fun. Going to get retested in a month to see if it’s there still or not but after getting the med kit I’ve been better,’ a comment read.

‘I had it. Feel bloated everytime. I eat. Did Endoscopy and finally got treated. Early detection is key,’ another said.

Key Takeaways
  • Dr Samuel Choudhury, a doctor from Singapore, has shared that sharing food or water can potentially increase the risk of stomach cancer due to a type of bacteria called H. pylori.
  • The bacteria known as Helicobacter pylori has been found in contaminated food, water, and saliva and can survive the acidic environment of the stomach.
  • It is possible to get the bacteria from sharing food and water with those infected, and it has commonly been found within families.
  • Although many people may carry H. pylori, not everyone will have symptoms or develop gastric ulcers or stomach cancer. However, it does increase the risk.
  • The bacteria can be treated with antibiotics and gastric medication.

Being vigilant of your health and environment is always a good idea. So why not take preventative measures and ensure you behave according to the strictest hygiene protocols? That way, you can enjoy all the deliciousness sharing food brings without worrying about the little things!

You can watch Dr Choudhury’s video here:

What do you think about this story, dear members? Do you like sharing your food or drinks? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
As we Senior Discount Clubbers know, sharing treats with our friends and family brings us a lot of pleasure and joy. After all, it’s great fun to show off a homecooked dish or split a yummy dessert with your pals–and there’s nothing quite like a good old picnic with your favourite people.

But do you ever wonder what health hazards come with sharing food or water? Believe it or not, it could increase your risk of developing stomach cancer.

Dr Samuel Choudhury, a Singaporean general practitioner (GP), has been creating content on social media that focus on several medical cases. One of his videos features a particular bacteria that, if left untreated, could lead to stomach cancer.

This bacteria is called Helicobacter pylori, or H. pylori for short. And according to the doctor, it’s shockingly easy to catch.

'Do you like sharing food with your friends or maybe just sharing water? I got news for you,' Dr Choudhury shared on social media.

'So today’s mystery guest affects about 50 per cent of the world’s population and has been identified as one of the primary risk factors for developing stomach cancer.'

View attachment 27121
Dr Samuel Choudhury discussed a bacteria that could potentially increase stomach cancer risks. Credit: @skingapore/TikTok

Dr Choudhury also mentioned that the bacteria survive the stomach's acidic environment and are commonly found in family members.

But, he said, don’t worry–just because you might have H. pylori doesn’t mean you will develop stomach cancer.

'Although a lot of us will have H. pylori, only about 20 per cent have symptoms, only about 10 per cent develop gastric ulcers–and one per cent end up having gastric cancer,' he said.

'So having this bacteria doesn’t mean that you will develop stomach cancer–but it does increase your risk of stomach cancer.'

So what can you do to minimise your chances?

According to Cancer Council, the most effective way to prevent the spread of H. pylori is to take strict hygiene measures, especially when handling food and water. This includes washing your hands before cooking and eating, being diligent about food storage and temperature, and of course, avoiding sharing your food or water with people you don’t know well enough.

But if you’ve been detected with H. pylori, don’t panic! The doctor advised that treatments are available, which involve antibiotics and gastric medication. He also said informing your general practitioner if you’re experiencing any persistent gastric symptoms is essential.

Dr Choudhury’s video was viewed close to a million times, with many confessing to being terrified and vowing never to eat another’s food again.

One user replied to his video, saying ‘Thank god I don’t like sharing food or drinks.’

Some of the users even shared their own experience with this bacteria.

‘I had H. pylori and it’s not fun. Going to get retested in a month to see if it’s there still or not but after getting the med kit I’ve been better,’ a comment read.

‘I had it. Feel bloated everytime. I eat. Did Endoscopy and finally got treated. Early detection is key,’ another said.

Key Takeaways

• Dr Samuel Choudhury, a doctor from Singapore, has shared that sharing food or water can potentially increase the risk of stomach cancer due to a type of bacteria called H. pylori.
  • The bacteria known as Helicobacter pylori has been found in contaminated food, water, and saliva and can survive the acidic environment of the stomach.
  • It is possible to get the bacteria from sharing food and water with those infected, and it has commonly been found within families.
  • Although many people may carry H. pylori, not everyone will have symptoms or develop gastric ulcers or stomach cancer. However, it does increase the risk.
  • The bacteria can be treated with antibiotics and gastric medication.

Being vigilant of your health and environment is always a good idea. So why not take preventative measures and ensure you behave according to the strictest hygiene protocols? That way, you can enjoy all the deliciousness sharing food brings without worrying about the little things!

You can watch Dr Choudhury’s video here:

What do you think about this story, dear members? Do you like sharing your food or drinks? Let us know in the comments below!

I think a lot of us have shared food and drink especially as school kids. Hygiene is one thing, panicking is another. This bacteria has been around for a long time. A WA doctor gave it to himself so he could test the antibiotics to see which one fixed it. Nothing new here. Just like most bacteria it can be dangerous if it is a bad one and gets loose but under control we live with them

I got it years ago, was painful and left me with a stomach ulcer. We had gastro at an aged care facility where I worked and just thought it was that. Boy was I wrong so, glad they found out what it was.

Reactions: Vida azul 365
Share the fork and spoon???
Me thinks you would be better off not kissing your girlfriend/boyfriend/kids/brother/sister/babies, or parents,
as these bacteria must be present in saliva.
So, Athena will you please show us the way.

Reactions: Shane/# and Macarj
I never liked the idea of sharing food due to unhygienic reasons. My plate my knife & fork : stay away. 😏