Airline seat policy sparks controversy: Are plus-size travellers facing discrimination?

We here at the SDC know that travelling is only getting harder with the rise in ticket costs, security procedures, and baggage limitations.

And while we try our hardest to make travel as convenient as it can be, certain travellers are facing more issues and, as a result, feel discriminated against.

Flying used to be a luxury reserved for a select few. But now, it's a necessity for many, allowing them to explore the world easily and efficiently, either for work or for pleasure.

But with this accessibility comes questions about how airlines can cater to passengers with different needs and ensure everyone has a comfortable experience.

For those who are plus-sized, airline seat policies have become a controversial topic. Jaelynn Chaney, a plus-size traveller and social media content creator, believes that airlines are treating larger passengers unfairly by requiring them to pay for extra seats in order to accommodate their size.

travel1.jpg
A traveller claimed that airline policies for plus-sized passengers are unfair and discriminatory. Credit: Brett Sayles/Pexels

Jaelynn petitioned for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to enforce changes to airline policies overseas, including providing plus-sized travellers with extra free seats as necessary.

So far, her Change.org petition has gathered over 17,000 signatures.

According to Chaney, a size 6XL herself, these policies are discriminatory against plus-sized passengers.

‘As plus-size travellers, my partner and I have unfortunately experienced discrimination and discomfort while flying,’ Jaelynn wrote in her petition.

As she points out, ‘People with smaller bodies get to pay one fare to get to their destination. And we have to pay two fares, even though we're getting the same experience. If anything, our experiences are a little bit more challenging.’

travel2.jpg
Jaelynn said airlines should ‘protect’ plus-sized travellers’ interests. Credit: Nathan Moore/Pexels

This sentiment is echoed by Gabor Lukacs, the founder of Air Passenger Rights. In a recent interview, Lukacs suggests the issue could be considered a matter of human rights for passengers of a certain weight.

He argues that ‘through that lens of human rights, I don't see any justification for charging these people a double fare’.

Lukacs also points out that many factors contribute to a person's size, including genetics and health conditions. He also believes that there is a ‘lot of negative attention and prejudice against plus-sized people’, which impacts the issue.

As he puts it, ‘It's not as if someone is getting up in the morning and making a decision that they're going to be a large person.’ Further adding that ‘being a large-size person is not a choice, as many people mistakenly believe’.

Lukacs also explained that ‘immutable characteristics’ that are being used to assess additional fees for passengers is a ‘slippery slope’ for airlines.

Airline policies concerning larger passengers remain a contentious issue, but there are a few potential solutions being discussed.

Some suggest that airlines themselves should bear the financial burden of providing extra accommodations, while others argue that the costs could be subsidised by the government. After all, shouldn't accessible and equitable transportation be available to everyone, regardless of size?

At the very least, plus-size passengers like Jaelynn Chaney hope that the FAA and similar international organisations will standardise policies in a way that benefits plus-sized travellers and creates a more accessible, inclusive experience.

She said: ‘The government may have a role to play in funding or incentivising these policies, as part of its responsibility to promote accessible and equitable transportation for all citizens.’

As the conversation around airline seat policies continues, we will stay tuned for the latest developments.
Key Takeaways
  • Plus-size traveller and lifestyle content creator Jaelynn Chaney believes airlines should give overweight passengers extra seats for free, claiming current policies are discriminatory.
  • Chaney's Change.org petition demanding changes benefiting obese and overweight flyers has received 17,000 signatures.
  • Air Passenger Rights founder Gabor Lukacs agrees with Chaney, stating it is a matter of human rights for passengers of a certain weight.
  • Chaney hopes for standardised policies and a more welcoming and inclusive travel experience for plus-size passengers.
We want to hear from our wonderful members! Do you think the airlines should offer extra free seats to obese or overweight passengers? Of course, this may have a knock-on effect on the price of fares for everyone else – would you be willing to pay a little extra as a result of this policy? Tell us what you think in the comments below!

Sponsored
Why should taxpayers, other passengers or airlines be required to subsidise the travel of passengers who need to occupy 2 seats. We live in a "User Pays" world and if these large passenger occupy a 2nd seat that the airline could have sold then they should pay for it.
I have had the misfortune to be sat beside large passengers who have filled their own seat and half of mine, for which I have never recieved any compensation even though I paid for a full seat of my own.

I think people should pay their airfares accordingly to their weight . Many times have have been squashed next or between overweight people and they take a lot of “my space”. If you need to use the bathroom and asked the person next to you to let you out of your seat , they try to pull up their knees , so they do not need to get up , which does not work. Most people who are overweight they say they have a medical condition or it is hormonal . In fact , it is most likely that they eat not a balanced diet and/or not doing exercises.
My husband has a cardiac history and pays a lot more for insurance than I do , as only a few companies does cover him and you can not do without it . By the way , he is at least 10 kg underweight . Do you call this discrimination as well?

We here at the SDC know that travelling is only getting harder with the rise in ticket costs, security procedures, and baggage limitations.

And while we try our hardest to make travel as convenient as it can be, certain travellers are facing more issues and, as a result, feel discriminated against.

Flying used to be a luxury reserved for a select few. But now, it's a necessity for many, allowing them to explore the world easily and efficiently, either for work or for pleasure.

But with this accessibility comes questions about how airlines can cater to passengers with different needs and ensure everyone has a comfortable experience.

For those who are plus-sized, airline seat policies have become a controversial topic. Jaelynn Chaney, a plus-size traveller and social media content creator, believes that airlines are treating larger passengers unfairly by requiring them to pay for extra seats in order to accommodate their size.

View attachment 22328
A traveller claimed that airline policies for plus-sized passengers are unfair and discriminatory. Credit: Brett Sayles/Pexels

Jaelynn petitioned for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to enforce changes to airline policies overseas, including providing plus-sized travellers with extra free seats as necessary.

According to Chaney, a size 6XL herself, these policies are discriminatory against plus-sized passengers.

‘As plus-size travellers, my partner and I have unfortunately experienced discrimination and discomfort while flying,’ Jaelynn wrote in her petition.

As she points out, ‘People with smaller bodies get to pay one fare to get to their destination. And we have to pay two fares, even though we're getting the same experience. If anything, our experiences are a little bit more challenging.’

View attachment 22329
Jaelynn said airlines should ‘protect’ plus-sized travellers’ interests. Credit: Nathan Moore/Pexels

This sentiment is echoed by Gabor Lukacs, the founder of Air Passenger Rights. In a recent interview, Lukacs suggests the issue could be considered a matter of human rights for passengers of a certain weight.

He argues that ‘through that lens of human rights, I don't see any justification for charging these people a double fare’.

Lukacs also points out that many factors contribute to a person's size, including genetics and health conditions. He also believes that there is a ‘lot of negative attention and prejudice against plus-sized people’, which impacts the issue.

As he puts it, ‘It's not as if someone is getting up in the morning and making a decision that they're going to be a large person.’ Further adding that ‘being a large-size person is not a choice, as many people mistakenly believe’.

Lukacs also explained that ‘immutable characteristics’ that are being used to assess additional fees for passengers is a ‘slippery slope’ for airlines.

Airline policies concerning larger passengers remain a contentious issue, but there are a few potential solutions being discussed.

Some suggest that airlines themselves should bear the financial burden of providing extra accommodations, while others argue that the costs could be subsidised by the government. After all, shouldn't accessible and equitable transportation be available to everyone, regardless of size?

At the very least, plus-size passengers like Jaelynn Chaney hope that the FAA and similar international organisations will standardise policies in a way that benefits plus-sized travellers and creates a more accessible, inclusive experience.

She said: ‘The government may have a role to play in funding or incentivising these policies, as part of its responsibility to promote accessible and equitable transportation for all citizens.’

As the conversation around airline seat policies continues, we will stay tuned for the latest developments.
Key Takeaways

• Plus-size traveller and lifestyle content creator Jaelynn Chaney believes airlines should give overweight passengers extra seats for free, claiming current policies are discriminatory.
  • Chaney's Change.org petition demanding changes benefiting obese and overweight flyers has received 17,000 signatures.
  • Air Passenger Rights founder Gabor Lukacs agrees with Chaney, stating it is a matter of human rights for passengers of a certain weight.
  • Chaney hopes for standardised policies and a more welcoming and inclusive travel experience for plus-size passengers.
We want to hear from our wonderful members! Do you think the airlines should offer extra free seats to obese or overweight passengers? Of course, this may have a knock-on effect on the price of fares for everyone else – would you be willing to pay a little extra as a result of this policy? Tell us what you think in the comments be

View attachment 22328

View attachment 22329

Key Takeaways

We want to hear from our wonderful members! Do you think the airlines should offer extra free seats to obese or overweight passengers? Of course, this may have a knock-on effect on the price of fares for everyone else – would you be willing to pay a little extra as a result of this policy? Tell us what you think in the comments below!
Is she for real? Im a very overweight woman and if my size meant I took up 2+ seats I would pay for them. The airlines arent responsible for my obesity, I am. I also dont think they should have to put in extra leg room because I have long legs, religious reading material or supply my preferred brand of organic teabags or gel infused eyemasks because it makes my trip more comfortable. Get over yourself.

I'm sick of people thinking that the rest of the country should subsidise things they think they need/want. I already have to subsidise the cost of child care for people who chose to have children but not take full responsibility for their care. And you think I should subsidise the cost of your air fare because you are morbidly obese (I'm probably also subsidising your medical care for this condition) & need 2 seats on a plane. Get real, lady!! You got yourself that way, not me, so you pay for 2 seats on a plane.

Lets call it as she is, fat and unhealthy and is trying to scam an airline so she can get free seats. If she wants larger, do what other people do pay for it. Her inability to lose weight is what her issue is and no one else has to accommodate her because of her size

View attachment 22328

View attachment 22329

Key Takeaways

There is a very easy solution to overweight passengers obtaining a comfortable seat on an airline-purchase a business class ticket or fly ScootPlus where for a very small price you get a large seat and as I am a size 50 overweight passenger I find very comfortable. Why on earth would an airline provide a free seat to a passenger who, through only their own personal experience, are obese, they are not responsible for their passengers being obese.

Given it's no

View attachment 22328

View attachment 22329

Key Takeaways

t the airlines fault that these people are overweight, why should we the people be responsible for subsidising them, because that's what it is, whether the government or the airlines subsidise it, we are ultimately the ones paying for it either by taxes or higher fares, perhaps the airlines need to come up with wider seats, like 2 seats instead of 3 and they can pay accordingly like those in business class or first class that want the extra room

View attachment 22328

View attachment 22329

Key Takeaways

Under no circumstances provide free seats your extra rate causes the aircraft to use the fuel required to carry two passengers so you should be made to pay for the extra space

View attachment 22328

View attachment 22329

Key Takeaways

A good diet and a bit of exercise would do the trick for her.

View attachment 22328

View attachment 22329

Key Takeaways

Purchase a business class ticket and there is your answer.

I'm overweight person. Not all people are overweight due to their habits. So please don't think you know. I think airline could make some seats big enough - personally it would make overweight and slim people happy. I certainly don't want to stuff in small seat (also have long legs) on a flight for a long time. I wouldn't mind a larger seat costing at bit more, for me to be comfortable. I was underweight for a long time. One day on the bus (I hardly took up any room) but I had one incident when a small old lady sat down, she basically drops herself down on my hip, there was plenty of room, she didn't need to sit on me.

View attachment 22328

View attachment 22329

Key Takeaways

Of course you should pay for the second seat, you probably weigh twice as much as a normal sized passenger.

At what weight do you stop pandering to overweight people? Should the person who weighs 200Kg be given 2 seats? Should the person who weighs 300Kg be given 3 seats? How about 4 seats if you weigh 400Kg?

Reactions: Sonia sweets
I believe this might be addressed by the airlines soon as I read that they are weighing passengers as a trial in Australia somewhere- it makes sense because weight does = fuel usage and therefore cost. If I’m thin and want to take extra baggage I pay for that but if you’re twice my weight and have the same baggage as me you don’t have to pay extra- not fair and needs to be fixed
Larger economy seats would be a very good compromise as thin people sitting next to an obese person will also be able to enjoy their own seat that they’ve paid for.