SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

Athena E.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 1, 2023
AIBU 08.07.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/Secret-World-1371:

Would it be considered unreasonable to call the police on my neighbours for their excessively noisy child?​

'I’m a 32-year-old woman living in a beautiful, quiet apartment complex. I’ve been here for 8 months and everything was great until a new family moved in upstairs about five months ago. They have a young child, around three years old, and ever since they arrived, it's been constant noise at all hours. '

'Initially, I was patient, assuming they were settling in. I even bought fans, sound machines, and earplugs to cope with the noise. Despite this, I’m still constantly disturbed by the child’s running, jumping, screaming, and crying. Sometimes, they even leave their windows and patio doors open while the child screams for long periods. '

'I get that kids are noisy and parenting is hard, but the noise happens day and night – at 12am, 5am, 2pm – you name it. I can’t sleep, work, or relax because of it. '

'After enduring three days of constant noise one weekend, I left a polite, unsigned note on their door, welcoming them and asking if they could keep it down, especially during the evening. Unfortunately, nothing changed. I reached out to the leasing office multiple times, but they couldn’t help either. I even left another note, which they returned to my door.'

'I pay a lot for this apartment, and the noise has become unbearable. I don’t want to be a grumpy neighbour or overreact, but I’m at my wit's end. Calling the police feels extreme, especially with a small child involved, but I don’t know what else to do. Am I being unreasonable?'

I used to live in a house , my own that I had renovated and my dad put in a lot of time effort and money into as well.
Next door was a two-story house and they had seven kids all boys.
I did mention this to the mother who didn't look like the feral type but her reply was ' what do you expect me to do about it. That pretty much summed her up.
Basketball's going at all hours and when I mentioned the noise the throwing began of all kinds of things onto my roof as my house was single story. Balls rocks tennis balls and probably the basketball as well.

After 2 years I had just had enough and I decided to sell but it was very unfortunate.
By that time I was a nervous wreck and it just wasn't worth staying anymore.
I was also worried for the safety of my cats who at that point were outside at times, worrying that next door would poison or hurt them.

I got out but it was an expensive bad experience.

I must admit I didn't have a better one with my next house as I had a nasty old man who complained to the council about my cats constantly.

Unfortunately it's just the luck of the drawer with neighbors.

Reactions: Littleboy8 and Ezzy
excuses excuses.
Now, that is a very stupid reply.

In all probability, your experience in dealing with a child exhibiting challenging behaviours and/or developmental disabilities is zilch.

There are thousands of children in this country in permanent residential care in public and private sector accommodation because their own parents cannot deal with said behaviours.

So what does she expect with a child, does she want the Police to come & confiscate the child. Wake up lady, if you can't handle the noise then go & find somewhere else to live. Maybe out of town where there's no-one else living close-by
She was their before the screamer... if the child is not autistic then maybe it is being mistreated/abused. BUT the reason for the noise neds investigating first... But idiots who assume are another set of morons nobody needs to here from

what a very stupid reply.
Not stupid. I agree it’s not a pet but a child. There is no abuse, just a child with problems. I think there is no solution, as it’s illegal to stuff a sock in their mouth or even discipline. I feel sorry for the parents ask if there is something they need help with.

So what does she expect with a child, does she want the Police to come & confiscate the child. Wake up lady, if you can't handle the noise then go & find somewhere else to live. Maybe out of town where there's no-one else living close-by
I am not sure that isn't necessarily the answer either.

The lady in question was there before the couple & child & even in an open location with neighbours at some distance, l am sure you will be aware that on a quiet day or if you are downwind from a noise you will hear it.