SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Aerogrammes

Remember the days when staying connected with loved ones across the world meant putting pen to paper and mailing it off with a postage stamp? Before email, the internet, and social media, there was the trusty aerogramme. This lightweight, thin sheet of paper was the ultimate solution for anyone looking to stay in touch without breaking the bank. Who remembers the excitement of receiving an aerogramme from their pen-pal, with its unique design and distinct fold? The Aussie version was a solid blue colour and folded slightly differently to others. Who here has a box full of letters from their pen pals or from family members?

nostalgia.jpeg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

I remember using these , they were excellent when not sending photos.

I love how we now communicate with our relatives overseas and interstate with a push off a button they can receive photos , videos and documents instantly.

We video call my sister inlaw who lives in Greece, every Sunday night and sometimes during the week.
I remember how just 20 years ago how expensive overseas calls were and even more expensive 30 years ago.

I love how far technology has come when it comes to communicating with our love ones ❤️

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Aerogrammes

Remember the days when staying connected with loved ones across the world meant putting pen to paper and mailing it off with a postage stamp? Before email, the internet, and social media, there was the trusty aerogramme. This lightweight, thin sheet of paper was the ultimate solution for anyone looking to stay in touch without breaking the bank. Who remembers the excitement of receiving an aerogramme from their pen-pal, with its unique design and distinct fold? The Aussie version was a solid blue colour and folded slightly differently to others. Who here has a box full of letters from their pen pals or from family members?

View attachment 18187
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Oh, yes, I have. We moved from South Africa to Australia in 1971, and ”snail-mail” was the only way to communicate with family overseas. Telephone calls were way too expensive. Of course there was also surface mail, which was even cheaper than aerogrammes, but just too slow.

I have a wonderful collection of aerograms written to my grandmother from her sisters in England during WW2. Descriptions of the bombings , how they managed with food shortages etc.

• Wow
When I was nearly 20, I went to Israel to work on a Kibbutz and then I went to England to visit my Aunt and Uncle. Because I worked in a bank here when we changed to decimal currency. my Aunt organized a job for me with her bank as they were about to change to decimal currency. I still have all of the airmail letters that I sent home over my time overseas as well as all of the letters that were sent to me. One day I must sit down and read them.