A sour taste in Aussie’s mouths: Cadbury just tampered with beloved chocolate bar

Attention, sweet tooths: we have some news that might ruffle your feathers.

Cadbury, the confectionary giant, confirmed that a beloved treat is going through a major change, causing a stir among chocolate lovers.

The Cherry Ripe bar, known for its rich blend of cherries and coconut enrobed in dark chocolate, has been downsized.

The bar that was once a satisfying 52g is now a less substantial 44g. Despite this 15 per cent decrease in size, the price remains at $2.50 in major retailers.

compressed-cherry.jpeg
Cadbury confirmed that Cherry Ripe decreased in serving size. Image Credit: Cadbury

A Cadbury spokesperson explained the changes implemented on the beloved chocolate bar.

'Bar sizes have been adjusted to meet the Australian Government's Healthy Food Partnership chocolate targets, which help consumers better manage their treat portions,' they said.

'Cadbury also aims to use ~50 per cent (on a mass balance basis) recycled plastic for its wrappers across its core chocolate portfolio, including bars produced in Australia,' they added.

While these are commendable steps towards health and sustainability, they don't quite sweeten the deal for some shoppers, especially with the price tag not reflecting the shrinkage.

This move has sparked a heated debate on social media, where they vocalised their disappointment. Some have even coined the term 'shrinkflation' to describe the phenomenon of paying the same price for a smaller product.

'Caught some shrinkflation in the process, clearing out the 52g to bring in 44g at the same price,' one shopper wrote.

'I honestly don't like this. Cherry Ripe is always good to have… but if they're going to have us charge more for less, then I might not buy as much as I used to,' another comment said.

'It's cherry rip now,' a third quipped.

Some speculate that this could lead to introducing a 'jumbo' size at a higher price, which may also shrink.

'I despise shrinkflation, but in this case, it's somewhat understandable as the price of cocoa bean has gone through the roof,' a commenter defended, pointing out a possible increase of prices for raw ingredients.

However, others have pointed out that the Cherry Ripe bar is mostly filling, with cherries and coconut as primary ingredients.

As one of the previous commenters mentioned, shrinkflation has been a prevalent practice in consumer goods. Shoppers may get less bang-for-buck values for the same price—some even higher price points.

According to consumer advocacy group CHOICE, it's not just affecting our daily treats—it also affects items we use daily. Notable examples included hot cross buns and breakfast cereals, which have seen a reduction in size along with an increase in price, affecting value for money for consumers.
Key Takeaways

• Cadbury has reduced the size of its popular Cherry Ripe chocolate bars from 52g to 44g, a 15 per cent decrease in size.
  • The smaller bars will remain at $2.50, sparking outrage among consumers for what is known as 'shrinkflation.'
  • Cadbury applied changes to comply with Australian Government health recommendations to help consumers manage portions.
  • Social media users have expressed their frustration, with some predicting that reducing product sizes will continue, leading to higher prices for traditional-sized chocolate bars in the future.
How do you feel about the downsizing of the Cherry Ripe bar? Have you noticed other favourite products shrinking in size but not in price? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
We often buy a Cherry Ripe on our shopping days to eat on our way home. Will not be doing so anymore. These factories are making a fortune yet are so lousy they reduce their Products size. Cadburys blocks used to be 250gr now lucky if some of them are 160 - 170 gr.

This won’t just hurt customers it will also hurt Cadbury as people will refuse to pay $2.50 for a shrunken down version of the Cherry Ripe bar - me included. I only buy what’s on special nowadays and won‘t pay more than $1.10 for a chocolate bar. Shame on you Cadbury!

Last edited:
I too love an occasional Cherry Ripe but prices have stopped me from buying sweet treats. I totally agree with AndreaSteed. I have found a recipe from 2006 that tastes Just Like a Cherry ripe. My friend makes them in a baking tray with sides and pours the chocolate over top.I tried to take photo of recipe but it says file too large.

Nestle cherry truffle easter eggs.
4 cups dedicated coconut, 300g red glaced cherries chopped, 395g sweetened cond.milk,
375g nestle dark or white melts , 30g copha
Combine 1st 3 ingredients. Roll into balls (press into baking tray with sides) sorry,not sure what size my friend used. Refrigerate.
Combine melted chocolate melts with copra and dip balls in it or spread on top if using baking tray.
Refrigerate until set.

I too love an occasional Cherry Ripe but prices have stopped me from buying sweet treats. I totally agree with AndreaSteed. I have found a recipe from 2006 that tastes Just Like a Cherry ripe. My friend makes them in a baking tray with sides and pours the chocolate over top.I tried to take photo of recipe but it says file too large.
Not sure how you are trying to send the photo….what I do is simply send the photo to myself in an email, you are prompted to what size file you wish to send, click on small, then send to yourself… now you can send the photo and recipe to all of us Cherry Ripe lovers at SDC….

Very funny it appears everyone is blaming the Govt. for their obvious price gouging.

What has happened to the TURKISH DELIGHT in the Favourites boxes? For weeks there has been only one bar in my boxes (Yes I do eat a box a week - or used to). Instead there are at least six bars of the dark chocolate Old Gold and the Moro both of which I hate. I now have a Favourites tin filled with these two varieties which I can't even get visitors to eat them as nobody seems to like them.

Nestle cherry truffle easter eggs.
4 cups dedicated coconut, 300g red glaced cherries chopped, 395g sweetened cond.milk,
375g nestle dark or white melts , 30g copha
Combine 1st 3 ingredients. Roll into balls (press into baking tray with sides) sorry,not sure what size my friend used. Refrigerate.
Combine melted chocolate melts with copra and dip balls in it or spread on top if using baking tray.
Refrigerate until set.
Love your recipe but where do you get “ dedicated” coconut from.🤣🤣

Not sure how you are trying to send the photo….what I do is simply send the photo to myself in an email, you are prompted to what size file you wish to send, click on small, then send to yourself… now you can send the photo and recipe to all of us Cherry Ripe lovers at SDC….
Thanks.I just screen shot your instructions. Will try that next time.

Why once again do the majority have to pay for the minority. Most of us can control how much we eat, if someone can't tell when they have eaten too much, they shouldn't be let out lose. Why do we always pay for the morbidly obese people, who mostly bring it on themselves. OK there are a very small few who are medically obese but they understand what they can and can't eat.

It's not just Cherry Ripes that are shrinking. I've noticed over the years that individual chocs in the share packets shrank from 22gr each one to 18gr to now only 15gr each. No noticeable price decrease. Just taking one is never enough.