Would you open an item from the supermarket and eat/drink it before paying for it at the checkout?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

VanessaC

Aug 2, 2023
A question on supermarket etiquette sparked a debate–which side are you on?

Have you ever wandered the aisles of a supermarket with an empty stomach, longing for something to nibble on?

A shopper named Lauren ‘Loz’ Curtis posted a polarising question on social media that’s bound to get you thinking.

'Here’s a divisive question for you,' Curtis began.

'If you’re at a shopping centre and you’re hungry and you take a bag of chips off the shelf that you haven’t paid for yet, is it okay to open them and eat them before you have paid for them?'

photo (1).png
A question on supermarket etiquette sparked a debate among shoppers. Image source: Freepik.

The question prompted a variety of answers and opinions from Curtis’s followers. Most said to wait until passing the checkout, while others argued that it was okay as long as you still pay for the chips.

One commented, 'I don't think that's divisive at all! It's a definite yes! You're still paying for it!'

Another follower wrote, 'Of course, as long as you pay for them at the checkout–that shopping hunger is real!'

Other shoppers had a different opinion on the matter.

'I understand why people do it, but for me, personally, I would rather starve than risk being yelled at for opening them before paying!'

'Maybe 20 years ago but not anymore. Shops are far more cautious about theft. I wouldn’t risk the consequences,' another shopper explained.

Aside from the obvious consequences of petty theft, some owners have resorted to rather unique means of punishing thieves caught in the act. You can read more about how this supermarket boss handles store theft, for example.

Some responded to the post with practical advice. One user stated: 'I only do it with water. I feel like anything else can wait until you get in the car/home.'

Meanwhile, some followers joked about the pitfalls of the retail industry, writing: 'Used to work at Woolworths. Can guarantee the workers do not get paid enough to care as long as you pay at the end you’re good!'

Another said: ‘I'd say no for adults but I tell you now, if my child is screaming while I'm grocery shopping and I've run out of snacks–I'm opening that chip packet!’

You can watch Lauren’s video below:

Key Takeaways

• A shopper named Lauren 'Loz' Curtis asked online whether it's acceptable to eat a bag of chips in a supermarket before you've paid for them.
  • The simple question sparked varying responses, with many advising to wait until the items have been paid for at the checkout.
  • Some stated they regularly do this with items like water, while others believed it was perfectly fine as long as the items would be paid for.
So, members, we’d love to hear your thoughts on this debate. Is it okay to open and eat a bag of chips or a bottle of water at the supermarket before you pay for them? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed mothers do that to keep their children on tow quiet. In my books it is called bad manners, lack of etiquette, consideration and most of all education. If I could, I would smack their fingers because such attitude makes me sick. Just like when they arrive in the supermarket barefeet and barely any clothes. It seems a standard in the Northern part of Australia ... yuck.

The other week I cut my finger whilst in the supermarket and it wouldn’t stop bleeding. I had to open a box of bandaids to wrap my finger as I didn’t want to bleed all over everything. I felt so guilty and I made sure they were the first thing I put on the belt with an explanation on why they were open. I definitely wouldn’t be eating anything I hadn’t paid for while walking round the store

If I was dry in the mouth I couldn’t talk yes I would have to have a mouthful of drink. But no I wouldn’t eat food . I would say at checkout

A question on supermarket etiquette sparked a debate – Which side are you on?

Have you ever wandered the aisles of a supermarket with an empty stomach, longing for something to nibble on?

A shopper named Lauren ‘Loz’ Curtis posted a polarising question on social media that’s bound to get you thinking.

'If you’re at a shopping centre and you’re hungry and you take a bag of chips off the shelf that you haven’t paid for yet, is it okay to open them and eat them before you have paid for them?'

View attachment 28497
A question on supermarket etiquette sparked a debate among shoppers. Image source: Freepik.

The question prompted a variety of answers and opinions from Curtis’s followers. Most said to wait until passing the checkout, while others argued that it was okay as long as you still pay for the chips.

One commented, 'I don't think that's divisive at all! It's a definite yes! You're still paying for it!'

Another follower wrote, 'Of course, as long as you pay for them at the checkout–that shopping hunger is real!'

'I understand why people do it, but for me, personally, I would rather starve than risk being yelled at for opening them before paying!'

'Maybe 20 years ago but not anymore. Shops are far more cautious about theft. I wouldn’t risk the consequences,' another shopper explained.

Aside from the obvious consequences of petty theft, some owners have resorted to rather unique means of punishing thieves caught in the act. You can read more about how this supermarket boss handles store theft, for example.

Some responded to the post with practical advice. One user stated: 'I only do it with water. I feel like anything else can wait until you get in the car/home.'

Meanwhile, some followers joked about the pitfalls of the retail industry, writing: 'Used to work at Woolworths. Can guarantee the workers do not get paid enough to care as long as you pay at the end you’re good!'

Another said: ‘I'd say no for adults but I tell you now, if my child is screaming while I'm grocery shopping and I've run out of snacks–I'm opening that chip packet!’

Key Takeaways

• A shopper named Lauren 'Loz' Curtis asked online whether it's acceptable to eat a bag of chips in a supermarket before you've paid for them.
  • The simple question sparked varying responses, with many advising to wait until the items have been paid for at the checkout.
  • Some stated they regularly do this with items like water, while others believed it was perfectly fine as long as the items would be paid for.
So, members, we’d love to hear your thoughts on this debate. Is it okay to open and eat a bag of chips or a bottle of water at the supermarket before you pay for them? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

If you snack on a product straight off the shelf, put through the checkout does not matter empty or partially full. Also eating items from fresh produce, like grapes, either from the grapes you scan, take a couple off and then scan them. Most supermarkets in Oz have fruit for kids near entrance pick one or. two to keep your child/kids happy, these are FREE. Please Do Not put partially used product back on shelf, remember there are camera's everywhere, above, being caught this way is common, and can lead to be given over to Police on charges of Shop lifting. Before that happens store manager will take your photo so it can be sent to all Stores throughout the country, as you may be banned as well.

Reactions: Marj53
The other week I cut my finger whilst in the supermarket and it wouldn’t stop bleeding. I had to open a box of bandaids to wrap my finger as I didn’t want to bleed all over everything. I felt so guilty and I made sure they were the first thing I put on the belt with an explanation on why they were open. I definitely wouldn’t be eating anything I hadn’t paid for while walking round the stor
There have been instances where I noticed empty crisp packets and half eaten fruit in the aisle. That IS theft.
And disgusting👎

Reactions: Marj53

View attachment 28497

Key Takeaways

Sorry have never done this, but if I did would certainly pay for them, my names more important than a bag of crisps. Curiously I'm a also a firm believer that if you are caght shoplifted unless you have a very good compelling reason then you should be horse whipped.

View attachment 28497

Key Takeaways

If you don’t have a medical problem with sugar levels, for instance, then take the time to walk to a checkout, pay for whatever it is, keep your docket as proof of payment, and continue with your shopping.

For kids who are screaming and having tantrums, buy them something to keep them quiet, do the same with docket & keep shopping. But don’t throw empties around the store, take them with you through checkout as proof of payment & dispose of thoughtfully.

If you don’t have a medical problem with sugar levels, for instance, then take the time to walk to a checkout, pay for whatever it is, keep your docket as proof of payment, and continue with your shopping.

For kids who are screaming and having tantrums, buy them something to keep them quiet, do the same with docket & keep shopping. But don’t throw empties around the store, take them with you through checkout as proof of payment & dispose of thoughtfully.
Do you think people will be that educated? They rather throw empties around !!

Usually people that leave empty or half eaten things in aisles have no intention of paying for them. Which is THEFT !!

Reactions: Littleboy8
I don’t go into supermarkets now but when I did there was sometimes a time I have opened a drink because I got so thirsty but haven’t finished shopping but I always intended paying and explained to the cashier why there was something missing.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I don’t go into supermarkets now but when I did there was sometimes a time I have opened a drink because I got so thirsty but haven’t finished shopping but I always intended paying and explained to the cashier why there was something missing.
Omg🙀your one of those😂😂