"WE ATE WHAT WAS PUT ON THE TABLE", rings very true for me. I remember:- Our parents sitting at the table in the middle of summer, drinking beer while us 3 children, ( me the eldest), sat at the other side of the table in our asbestos home, front & back door open to try & cool things down. No fans or A/C.

While they drank we ate our curry served for dinner. On this such occassion the curry made my nose run..... into my curry, where it was mixed in, hopefully unseen, & eaten. Can't remember if it improved the flavour or not, but curry in the middle of summer & no A/C?

I was never aware of a case of headlice when I was at school (the 60's and 70's) and I never had a case of it myself. But the minute my daughter started school, it became a regular occurrence because some of the families in the school would not treat it with "chemicals" but instead favoured "natural" solutions, which, of course, did not work so their kids were regular sources of re-infestation.

Edited to add: when I was at school, our heads were regularly inspected by "the nit nurse" from the Health Department. I can't swear to it but I am pretty sure that if they detected a case of headlice, the child was sent home and the parents were made to deal with it. I am pretty sure that arguments against chemicals, infringement of personal liberties and/or the privacy act would not have been indulged by the authorities.
When I was at school we also had regular visits from the Health Department Nurse who would examine each child for everything. If someone had nits they would be sent home. This was in England in the late 1940's and early 1950's.

Reactions: Ezzy
"WE ATE WHAT WAS PUT ON THE TABLE", rings very true for me. I remember:- Our parents sitting at the table in the middle of summer, drinking beer while us 3 children, ( me the eldest), sat at the other side of the table in our asbestos home, front & back door open to try & cool things down. No fans or A/C.

While they drank we ate our curry served for dinner. On this such occassion the curry made my nose run..... into my curry, where it was mixed in, hopefully unseen, & eaten. Can't remember if it improved the flavour or not, but curry in the middle of summer & no A/C?
Who can remember Pennington Hostel? on Grand Junction Road Pennington South Aust back in 1965 to 66?
No A/C no ceiling fans living in a Nissen hut made of tin. They were the good ol days, thank God Dad finished in the army and no more country hopping.