A new twist on Australia's classic snack: What has Buddy's Bar in Newtown done to fairy bread?

As we all know, Australia has no shortage of delicious snacks and treats that remind us of our childhood.

However, one snack, in particular, has stood the test of time: Fairy Bread. So, when we at the Seniors Discount Club heard about a trendy bar that gave this timeless classic a 'fancy' twist, we wanted to look into the story.

Buddy's Bar Newtown, located in Sydney's inner west, has left many puzzled and divided over their quirky spin on our beloved fairy bread.

Priced at $7, the inventive rendition offers customers two slices of the sugary delight, cut into rectangles and served with a side of raspberry syrup dipping sauce.

bread1.jpg
Is this Un-Australian? Credit: Reddit

The bar's unusual take on this traditional treat features white bread, butter, 100s & 1000s sprinkles, and – wait for it – popping candy. Yes, you read that right, popping candy!

‘$7 fancy fairy bread for distinguished adults,’ a diner said on the post that was shared on Reddit, where it caused quite a stir.

The diner also shared a photo of the fairy bread and happily admitted, ‘To be honest, I loved it. It was a yummy sweet treat. The popping candy was a new take on it.’

However, not everyone shares this opinion, with some downright outraged by the changes made to their cherished snack.

‘Sacrilege!’ One wrote in the comments.

‘$7? That's just un-Australian,’ another claimed, while someone else added, ‘You can get a whole loaf of bread, butter, and 100s & 1000s for $10. What a joke.’

bread2.jpg
Fairy bread is supposed to be cut into triangles. Credit: Scott Webb/Pexels

‘No, no, no, no, no. Just no,’ another commented.

One particular source of frustration among the online community was the addition of popping candy. 'Who the f*** puts popping candy on fairy bread? I love popping candy, but fairy bread is perfect in its simplicity. This post makes me think angry thoughts,’ a disgruntled social media user remarked.

Meanwhile, many couldn't help but lament the break from tradition made evident by the bread's shape. Rectangular cuts, instead of triangles, seemed to irk some people: ‘It’s not even a triangle?’ someone inquired.

‘They are not triangles. Throw it back in disgust,’ another replied.

While one suggested: ‘I’d be leaving them upside down on the plate for the simple fact they’re not cut into triangles. What’s this place turning into?’

While one user said the triangles were kind of ‘disturbing’.

‘But I hope you enjoyed every morsel – and now I want fairy bread,’ they added.

Despite the criticisms, some users appreciated the fresh take on their favourite Aussie treat, with many admitting they would happily order it.

‘You know what? These days that’s a pretty good price,’ one wrote.

‘I kind of respect it,' another admitted.

While one noted humorously, 'I love how one-half of the comments are like “WOW THAT LOOKS TASTY”, and the other half will go to hell and back to stay away from it.’

In response to the mixed opinions, Buddy's Bar co-owner Jimmy Roe explained that the sweet is part of the ‘tongue-in-cheek adult kids menu’.

He added that the revamped fairy bread was intended to evoke nostalgia and provide a sense of fun for guests.

‘We decided to add the fairy bread to the menu for a bit of fun, and it’s been a big hit with guests enjoying the nostalgia of their favourite Aussie treat as a kid,’ he told reporters.

Roe also stated that the margins on their fancy fairy bread are lower than the industry average, emphasising that the creative spin on a classic was meant to be a lighthearted addition to the menu, supporting local artists, musicians, DJs, and comedians.
Key Takeaways
  • Buddy's Bar Newtown in Sydney has put a 'fancy' twist on the classic Aussie party treat, fairy bread, which has left many divided over the quirky creation.
  • The venue's spin on the snack comprises white bread, butter, 100s & 1000s sprinkles, and popping candy, complete with a side of raspberry syrup dipping sauce, priced at $7.
  • The post on Reddit generated mixed reactions, from people loving the idea to others calling it ‘un-Australian’.
  • Buddy's Bar co-owner Jimmy Roe states that the fairy bread is on their 'tongue-in-cheek adult kids menu', and has been a big hit with guests.
Are you on board with this new twist on a classic Aussie snack, or do you think it's best to leave tradition untainted? Would you give Buddy's Bar’s infamous fairy bread a try, or would you rather stick with some good old triangles?

Either way, whatever culinary adventure you embark on, we hope you have a delightful (and delicious) time!

Sponsored
If people buy it and enjoy it then, let it be for each to his or her own. :+}
There are many edible products some think should not be served in cafes, but they are. Party time memories are fun after all, even if not to the adult taste than to the memories of when.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
When I dined out in the past, I wanted something different to what I cooked. I can make fairy bread any time I want. Even to add various bits & pieces if someone tells me to try. $7????????
gotta be joking. Next he will be thinking how to "doll up the crusts."

Reactions: debjoel21
I love the tradition of fairy bread. Very Oz.
To be honest, I wouldn't waste my time trying the one with popping candy (reminds me too much of zits). At $7 I would forsake the momentary trip down memory lane and simply hang on to the memories.
If I want fairy bread, I'll make it myself for a 10th of the price.

Reactions: debjoel21
As we all know, Australia has no shortage of delicious snacks and treats that remind us of our childhood.

However, one snack, in particular, has stood the test of time: Fairy Bread. So, when we at the Seniors Discount Club heard about a trendy bar that gave this timeless classic a 'fancy' twist, we wanted to look into the story.

Buddy's Bar Newtown, located in Sydney's inner west, has left many puzzled and divided over their quirky spin on our beloved fairy bread.

Priced at $7, the inventive rendition offers customers two slices of the sugary delight, cut into rectangles and served with a side of raspberry syrup dipping sauce.

View attachment 20798
Is this Un-Australian? Credit: Reddit

The bar's unusual take on this traditional treat features white bread, butter, 100s & 1000s sprinkles, and – wait for it – popping candy. Yes, you read that right, popping candy!

‘$7 fancy fairy bread for distinguished adults,’ a diner said on the post that was shared on Reddit, where it caused quite a stir.

The diner also shared a photo of the fairy bread and happily admitted, ‘To be honest, I loved it. It was a yummy sweet treat. The popping candy was a new take on it.’

However, not everyone shares this opinion, with some downright outraged by the changes made to their cherished snack.

‘Sacrilege!’ One wrote in the comments.

‘$7? That's just un-Australian,’ another claimed, while someone else added, ‘You can get a whole loaf of bread, butter, and 100s & 1000s for $10. What a joke.’

View attachment 20799
Fairy bread is supposed to be cut into triangles. Credit: Scott Webb/Pexels

‘No, no, no, no, no. Just no,’ another commented.

One particular source of frustration among the online community was the addition of popping candy. 'Who the f*** puts popping candy on fairy bread? I love popping candy, but fairy bread is perfect in its simplicity. This post makes me think angry thoughts,’ a disgruntled social media user remarked.

Meanwhile, many couldn't help but lament the break from tradition made evident by the bread's shape. Rectangular cuts, instead of triangles, seemed to irk some people: ‘It’s not even a triangle?’ someone inquired.

‘They are not triangles. Throw it back in disgust,’ another replied.

While one suggested: ‘I’d be leaving them upside down on the plate for the simple fact they’re not cut into triangles. What’s this place turning into?’

While one user said the triangles were kind of ‘disturbing’.

‘But I hope you enjoyed every morsel – and now I want fairy bread,’ they added.

Despite the criticisms, some users appreciated the fresh take on their favourite Aussie treat, with many admitting they would happily order it.

‘You know what? These days that’s a pretty good price,’ one wrote.

‘I kind of respect it,' another admitted.

While one noted humorously, 'I love how one-half of the comments are like “WOW THAT LOOKS TASTY”, and the other half will go to hell and back to stay away from it.’

In response to the mixed opinions, Buddy's Bar co-owner Jimmy Roe explained that the sweet is part of the ‘tongue-in-cheek adult kids menu’.

He added that the revamped fairy bread was intended to evoke nostalgia and provide a sense of fun for guests.

‘We decided to add the fairy bread to the menu for a bit of fun, and it’s been a big hit with guests enjoying the nostalgia of their favourite Aussie treat as a kid,’ he told reporters.

Roe also stated that the margins on their fancy fairy bread are lower than the industry average, emphasising that the creative spin on a classic was meant to be a lighthearted addition to the menu, supporting local artists, musicians, DJs, and comedians.
Key Takeaways

• Buddy's Bar Newtown in Sydney has put a 'fancy' twist on the classic Aussie party treat, fairy bread, which has left many divided over the quirky creation.
  • The venue's spin on the snack comprises white bread, butter, 100s & 1000s sprinkles, and popping candy, complete with a side of raspberry syrup dipping sauce, priced at $7.
  • The post on Reddit generated mixed reactions, from people loving the idea to others calling it ‘un-Australian’.
  • Buddy's Bar co-owner Jimmy Roe states that the fairy bread is on their 'tongue-in-cheek adult kids menu', and has been a big hit with guests.
Are you on board with this new twist on a classic Aussie snack, or do you think it's best to leave tradition untainted? Would you give Buddy's Bar’s infamous fairy bread a try, or would you rather stick with some good old triangles?

Either way, whatever culinary adventure you embark on, we hope you have a delightful (and delicious) time!
Nothing wrong with good old Fairy Bread. I think the popping candy would add an interesting texture?
I owned a Coffee shop up until Decemember 2021 and Fairy bread was on my Kids Menu 10yrs & Under.
You would be surprised with number of over 10yr olds that would ask if they could PLEASE have it with their coffee!

Reactions: Wandiwa
I Used To LOVE Newtown , I had to lived close by and the variety of restaurants and cafes were incredible as were the people that you would see around Newtown , a little hint of hippy but I have to say now it has become a different genre of people more business like.

I haven't had fairy bread for ages ..yum and chocolate crackles ,toffees

Maybe we could open a Cafe with all the goodness of years gone by

Reactions: Relby
I Used To LOVE Newtown , I had to lived close by and the variety of restaurants and cafes were incredible as were the people that you would see around Newtown , a little hint of hippy but I have to say now it has become a different genre of people more business like.

I haven't had fairy bread for ages ..yum and chocolate crackles ,toffees

Maybe we could open a Cafe with all the goodness of years gone by
I love your cafe idea. Using Nutella instead of butter on fairy bread is lovely too.