A homeowner's plumbing dilemma made the rounds on the internet for an unexpected reason - can you spot why?

We've all seen strange things in our lives. But in recent years, it seems like we've seen more and more of them thanks to the internet.

People love to share photos of weird and unusual things they've seen, and thanks to social media, those photos can quickly go viral.

Such has been the case for this homeowner who has got everyone talking – but not for the reasons he was hoping!

One man took to social media to seek guidance after a plumber informed him that the pipe design of his sink was 'illegal'.

'Not really a cleaning question but has anyone else got this type trap set-up on their kitchen/laundry sink,' he wrote on the Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia Facebook group.

'Been told by a plumber the set-up is illegal as they syphon out easily, but wondering why a plumbing store would sell them if they are.'

While he was seeking advice on his plumbing, all people could focus on was the 'weird' object that he had tucked away under his sink…

T9-hvuwU_NF0z2d1TaZH0DN-dtYIahFW4H90FmJXXi6qaBv8K2SKHMU91eO3spTuy-t1UH3lFJwbWhb6drctgDC-VVJOgQqO6Ct_1N4j_m_31OfJyyGqBAK8BkEnVIbFtYJE5hNZHB3QWKdc_Tlsjk-4lxPUL64HwmyhxyzXAu7SvxnweJNfsYyY

The man took to social media to seek guidance after a plumber informed him that the pipe design of his sink was 'illegal'. Credit: Facebook/Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia.

Many expressed their confusion and curiosity about the meaning behind the unusual sight of a jar of Vegemite under his sink, admitting that they were perplexed by it.

One user said: 'First thing that caught my eye was the Vegemite.'

'What’s with the Vegemite under the sink?' another asked.

One group member replied to his actual inquiry, writing: 'Looks very similar to what we have in our rental house.'

'We had a safety inspection just a few weeks ago which included an electrician, gas and water plumber and nothing was said about the pipe under the sink. We passed the inspection.'

However, the group member could not help themselves and took the opportunity to ask him about the jar of Vegemite.

'What I am wondering is ... why do you have a jar of Vegemite under the sink?' they asked.

While many people were puzzled by the sight, the homeowner provided a very simple explanation for the setup.

He shared: 'We use the jar to dispose of used cooking oil and fat to save it going down the drain.'

'Me and my mother had a laugh about the jar we got rid of last week in the garbage as it actually looked like Vegemite after it solidified.'

'I told her hopefully the garbo isn’t hungry and wants a Vegemite sandwich!'

Finally, one professional plumber replied to the man's question, confirming that there's nothing wrong with his pipes.

The expert wrote: 'I’m a licensed plumber. There’s nothing wrong with that, someone is telling stories.'

It's not surprising for people to react to weird photos online. After all, it's not every day that you get to see something like that in your life.

While the photo was not something so bizarre, we can't help but be curious about it. We're glad the homeowner was a good sport about it as well!

Do you also reuse jars to properly dispose of oils and other kitchen wastes that should not be poured down the drain?

Sponsored
In Melbourne, we are asked to save our cooking oil in a container such as a cooking oil bottle and take it to a waste transfer station in our local area.
It is then recycled, for products such as biofuel, cosmetics and detergents.
Planet Ark is the instigator of this.
If you only use tiny amounts of cooking oil, we are told to put it in an unbreakable sealable container in the normal rubbish.
These days, it's hard to know what type of container is best to use.....as most things are recyclable....

When I was living in Sydney I had heaps of problems with, so called, tradies. There are a lot of predators out there. Whatever you do avoid, at all costs, plumbers and electricians that want to charge for quotes! These are scammers!! They will come into your house, ignore the reason you called them and then "inspect" your house. They will come up with thousands of dollars of "repairs" and won't commence until they are "fixed". If you don't go ahead the charge you hundreds of dollars for that quote.
Ask about the cost of a quote BEFORE letting the near your house. It will save you a lot of heart ache in the long run. I ended having to go to court to settle the dispute.
The company was called The Daily Plumber. They have changed their name but their scamming remains the same. There are electrical companies doing the same thing.
Please beware as they prey on older people. They get really pushy and nasty if you don't comply with their demands. I was threatened with physical violence.

ACA did a story last week on a national plumbing company.....avoid at all cost! Starts with letter M...

Had a quote for replacing solar hot water system by son of plumber I had used before. He charged me $50 for a quote......never used him again.

Another time plumber across the road came over to have a look at a problem I was having with my pipe outside and I jokingly said "how much". He said $20...said you have to be joking...paid him...asked for a receipt ...still waiting. Never talked to him again....and warned anyone else not to use him.

My neighbour's brother in law is a plumber and came highly recommended. Had a leaky front tap and he quoted me $1500 to pull up all the pipes along the side of the house etc. Got a plumber I have used before and he got a brass pipe and new tap....all up $80. He told me I have copper pipes down the side so didn't need ripping up.

I only use him now.

Reactions: Senor
That is exactly how mine is and I know because I'm the one who unscrews it to clean out everyone's hair.. who does that brushing hair over the sink!!!.

Oh back to the question 🤭 I use a 2 litre milk bottle to tip oil ect in

Reactions: Marj53
We've all seen strange things in our lives. But in recent years, it seems like we've seen more and more of them thanks to the internet.

People love to share photos of weird and unusual things they've seen, and thanks to social media, those photos can quickly go viral.

Such has been the case for this homeowner who has got everyone talking – but not for the reasons he was hoping!

One man took to social media to seek guidance after a plumber informed him that the pipe design of his sink was 'illegal'.

'Not really a cleaning question but has anyone else got this type trap set-up on their kitchen/laundry sink,' he wrote on the Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia Facebook group.

'Been told by a plumber the set-up is illegal as they syphon out easily, but wondering why a plumbing store would sell them if they are.'

While he was seeking advice on his plumbing, all people could focus on was the 'weird' object that he had tucked away under his sink…

T9-hvuwU_NF0z2d1TaZH0DN-dtYIahFW4H90FmJXXi6qaBv8K2SKHMU91eO3spTuy-t1UH3lFJwbWhb6drctgDC-VVJOgQqO6Ct_1N4j_m_31OfJyyGqBAK8BkEnVIbFtYJE5hNZHB3QWKdc_Tlsjk-4lxPUL64HwmyhxyzXAu7SvxnweJNfsYyY

The man took to social media to seek guidance after a plumber informed him that the pipe design of his sink was 'illegal'. Credit: Facebook/Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia.

Many expressed their confusion and curiosity about the meaning behind the unusual sight of a jar of Vegemite under his sink, admitting that they were perplexed by it.

One user said: 'First thing that caught my eye was the Vegemite.'

'What’s with the Vegemite under the sink?' another asked.

One group member replied to his actual inquiry, writing: 'Looks very similar to what we have in our rental house.'

'We had a safety inspection just a few weeks ago which included an electrician, gas and water plumber and nothing was said about the pipe under the sink. We passed the inspection.'

However, the group member could not help themselves and took the opportunity to ask him about the jar of Vegemite.

'What I am wondering is ... why do you have a jar of Vegemite under the sink?' they asked.

While many people were puzzled by the sight, the homeowner provided a very simple explanation for the setup.

He shared: 'We use the jar to dispose of used cooking oil and fat to save it going down the drain.'

'Me and my mother had a laugh about the jar we got rid of last week in the garbage as it actually looked like Vegemite after it solidified.'

'I told her hopefully the garbo isn’t hungry and wants a Vegemite sandwich!'

Finally, one professional plumber replied to the man's question, confirming that there's nothing wrong with his pipes.

The expert wrote: 'I’m a licensed plumber. There’s nothing wrong with that, someone is telling stories.'

It's not surprising for people to react to weird photos online. After all, it's not every day that you get to see something like that in your life.

While the photo was not something so bizarre, we can't help but be curious about it. We're glad the homeowner was a good sport about it as well!

Do you also reuse jars to properly dispose of oils and other kitchen wastes that should not be poured down the drain?
I totally get it. We have jars under our sink for old cooking oil and fat as well.

How is that plumbing wrong ,, I thought that was normal, as they have all looked pretty much the same as this to me..
Looks normal to me I'm not a plumber but have seen this set up every where

Reactions: Mrs P
I am completely stoked, NOT skiting either, BUT why should under the sink be any different to your tidy home ? The secret is LABELLING. Even a child who "just plays & opens doors" are inquisitive enough to recognise a simple jar of vegemite, especially if they love it. NO joking, our gorgeous cat had his own jar of veg labelled "Milo" on it @ the back. We'd hide it until it was meal time so he would recognise it when we said to him "Vegie time." We never took the lid off because he would smell it a mile away. EVERYONE who visited had to be convinced so it was our talking piece. I have a lovely photo as he lived to 20 but I don't know how to put photos on a computer. When I catch someone who will give me some time I'll ask them to do it for you just to have a laugh. Meanwhile label " issues " you put under your sink that are , shall we say "A bit dicey?" & where did we hide Milo's jar? Not to be confused we placed it in a cookie jar in the pantry labelled "MILO's LICK" in case of an accident. He lived for 20 years, such a loving pussy, so clever and ...........How did the plumber's tale end up with a cat??? Instinct. My son-in-law is a plumber! ha ha.

When I was living in Sydney I had heaps of problems with, so called, tradies. There are a lot of predators out there. Whatever you do avoid, at all costs, plumbers and electricians that want to charge for quotes! These are scammers!! They will come into your house, ignore the reason you called them and then "inspect" your house. They will come up with thousands of dollars of "repairs" and won't commence until they are "fixed". If you don't go ahead the charge you hundreds of dollars for that quote.
Ask about the cost of a quote BEFORE letting the near your house. It will save you a lot of heart ache in the long run. I ended having to go to court to settle the dispute.
The company was called The Daily Plumber. They have changed their name but their scamming remains the same. There are electrical companies doing the same thing.
Please beware as they prey on older people. They get really pushy and nasty if you don't comply with their demands. I was threatened with physical violence.
It is really sad that they threatened you with physical violence. I hope you are OK.

We use an empty jar from pasta sauces. We try to minimise use of oil so the jar lasts us a few weeks and then we throw it away. We try very hard not to put any oils down the sink.

I saw your post about the homeowner's plumbing dilemma. It sounds like he's getting some unexpected attention due to a strange object he had tucked away under his sink. Gotta love the weird things that pop up on the internet.Anyway, it's definitely a good idea to consult with several plumbers to get a clear picture of what's going on with the pipe design of his sink. I've recently run into his site maplumbingandheating.com and got a piece of decent advice with my plumbing situation.It's always a good idea to consult with professionals regarding plumbing issues. You don't want to end up with something illegal or unsafe in your home. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Oh, I've stumbled upon these viral home oddities before! It's always a good laugh when you spot something unexpected in someone's house. I once spotted drain issues and called proplumbersdenver.com at my friend's house. My friend was grateful. I can't wait to see what caught everyone's attention in this one!

Last edited: