A breakfast staple is declining in the market—should you be worried?

We cherish the simple pleasures of life, and one of our beloved morning rituals is enjoying a glass of orange juice.

This refreshing start to the day, rich in Vitamin C, brings a taste of summer all year round. It's a small but significant part of our daily routine that brightens our mornings and fuels our day.

However, this tradition might be at risk. The global orange juice supply is facing a severe crisis, one that could impact our breakfast tables.

Around 50 million tonnes of oranges are harvested annually. Brazil, the world's largest producer, is responsible for 34 per cent of this production and 70 per cent of the global supply.

However, Brazil's orange groves have been severely impacted by a series of unfortunate events.

Extreme drought and heat stress during the flowering period, combined with the spread of citrus greening disease—an incurable bacterial infection—have significantly damaged the crops.

unnamed (5).png
Brazil, the world's largest producer, accounts for a staggering 34 per cent of global production. Credit: iStock

The forecast is grim, with predictions of a 24 per cent drop in Brazil's orange production for the 2024–25 season, marking the smallest harvest since the late 1980s.

Other major orange-growing regions, such as Florida, Israel, Spain, and Argentina, are also experiencing declining production, further contributing to the overall decrease in orange juice supply.

Despite this, strong demand means we still depend heavily on imports of frozen orange juice concentrate for roughly half of the consumption. Around 80 per cent of these imports originate from Brazil, with about 10 per cent coming from Israel.

Australian consumers have not yet experienced the impact as those in Europe and the United States, as local orange growers have been able to bridge the supply gap in the market.

However, Aussies’ heavy dependence on orange concentrate from Brazil is likely to eventually result in a supply shortage in the country.

Frozen concentrated orange concentrate is a key ingredient in not only the more affordable retail juices but also in a variety of commercial products.

However, a shortage of this product could mean supply disruptions and price hikes across these sectors.

In the face of this citrus crisis, consumers and producers might turn to alternatives. Blended juices combining orange with apple, mango, or pineapple could become more popular due to their cost.

Mandarins, with their similar taste and nutritional profile, might also emerge as a promising substitute.

The worldwide shortage presents an opportunity for Australia's domestic sector. By ramping up local manufacturing and export efforts, we stand to benefit from the present circumstances.

However, Australia’s citrus industry faces its own challenges, including rising production costs, competition from imports, and the market dominance of major supermarket chains.

There's no easy solution, but there are steps to bolster the resilience of Aussie’s citrus industry.

Investing in automation could reduce reliance on labour and reduce prices. This means subsidies for small and medium-sized growers are needed to adopt such technologies.

Growers could also diversify their sales strategies, such as exploring direct-to-consumer avenues, farmer markets, and collaborative marketing.

Another strategy is to expanding fruit-processing facilities, and securing better access to international markets should be a priority.

Lastly, with climate change threatening to disrupt agriculture, it's crucial to invest in research for climate-resilient orange varieties, renewable energy sources, and education programs for growers.

In a previous story, a Queensland woman took her love for it to the extreme by creating an entire diet around it.

Experts have raised concerns about this unique diet. See what they have to say on the matter here.
Key Takeaways
  • Brazil's orange production is expected to decline by more than 24 per cent due to drought, heat stress, and citrus greening disease, leading to a global orange juice supply crisis.
  • The shortage of orange juice concentrate could impact not only the price of retail orange juice but also products across different sectors that use orange concentrate as a key ingredient.
  • To combat this and future supply shocks, Aussies’ citrus industry may benefit from investment in automation, diversification of sales avenues, and more local processing facilities.
Do you frequently drink orange juice? Do you use oranges as a key ingredient for something else? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Climate change has been happening on and off for millions of years and will continue for millions more. On the subject of orange shortage just got back from a trip through South Aust/Northern Victoria and observed millions of tonnes of fruit just lying on the ground beneath the trees. What shortage.

The sadest thing is thousands of orange trees here in Australia have been ripped out due to lack of support from manufacturers here. They prefer to buy from countries that pay their workers very little.

Truth is Australia does not need the world for her food production, we can grow everything right here.

The sadest thing is thousands of orange trees here in Australia have been ripped out due to lack of support from manufacturers here. They prefer to buy from countries that pay their workers very little.

Truth is Australia does not need the world for her food production, we can grow everything right here.
So true my wife’s family were citrus growers in South Australia and years ago ripped them out due to lack of support from the industry.

I never drink juice as it is more beneficial to eat the whole fruit which I do in my morning smoothies. Better for you and quick and easy to put together with all the extras which are so great for improving the body. Loving the benefits.

You are so right. This is what we get for not supporting our own growers in the first place.

I only eat oranges through the season for them I don’t buy those that come from California in winter I make my years supply of marmalade. Our Australian agriculture should be backed by our government heavily instead of all this military stuff that will not do anything for this country, we need more of our own products backed up by gov so they are not so expensive to Australians.

gosh what a crisis, cant imagine the agony and deprivation this could end life as we know it......wait my 10 yo daughter has solved the problem, she suggested we buy some oranges from the local grocers and squeeze them ourselves...now thats creative thinking...we are such amazing creatures us humans...crisis diverted, im sure the local tech colleges have courses in orange squeezing for those that have difficulty.....

• Haha
Reactions: Macarj
gosh what a crisis, cant imagine the agony and deprivation this could end life as we know it......wait my 10 yo daughter has solved the problem, she suggested we buy some oranges from the local grocers and squeeze them ourselves...now thats creative thinking...we are such amazing creatures us humans...crisis diverted, im sure the local tech colleges have courses in orange squeezing for those that have difficulty.....
That’s the way to do it when we had our own orange tree, they were beautiful that’s what we did and you can freeze it too.

Don’t like orange so that doesn’t bother me at all. I used to eat fruit when l was younger as my grandparents owned an orchard. Being brought up on real fruit spoiled me . I have tried to eat the hard tasteless shit from the supermarket but will not waste my money. When we travel we will stop at road side fruit shops that are owned by the farmer tastes so much better. What is the government doing to fix the problem with supermarkets. Why can’t farmer sell there fruit direct to supermarkets in their area, we would get nicer tasting real fruit no the shit we buy now. The kid’s these days are missing out on the true taste of our produce.

The Tafe teacher would have to explain it very very slowly for some people.

Reactions: oldsalt
Unfortunately this what happen when source overseas suppliers, very Australia. So many Orchards removed due to overseas pricing.

In one part of the story it said that Australia makes up the shortfall in its market. Good. But then suggested that with increased production etc, we would need to source overseas markets. Why? If we could increase our own production then we would have plenty for our own supply needs.
Weird logic.

And yes let's all please stop buying 'fresh' f & v from overseas. I saw cherries at Coles the other day. And asparagus is from Mexico for most of the year. Never in my trolley.

Reactions: Macarj and oldsalt

Yes to a lesser extent that Australia buys produce from overseas - cheaper prices. Our local oranges are still used. At least in WA, it is homegrown. Label says "Produce of Australai or WA."

I already sue australian grown and produced orange juice a bi more xpensive approx 5% but better tasting and freshly squee
zed.and free of nastys