A behind-the-scenes look at Coles: What really goes on in-store?

What do you see when you walk into a Coles store? Do you only pay attention to the fresh produce, meats, and household goods, or are you also captivated by the lovely flower displays and the smell of freshly baked goods?

While all of these things are no doubt nice when you shop, they’re not the only things that go on in a Coles store!

Well, it's not surprising that most of us only see the 'pretty parts' of the retail industry, but did you know that there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes?

It’s not all sunshine and rainbows – there’s even some ‘unattractive’ stuff going on that we Aussies rarely notice (unless we’ve worked in the industry).

That is why a Coles worker decided to share a video on TikTok showing her doing the ‘unexciting but necessary’ tasks that shoppers seldom see.

64141181-11384123-image-a-14_1667449362309.jpg

TikTok user @carlyj1980 shared a video of herself working at Coles doing a variety of unglamorous tasks. Credit: TikTok/@carlyj1980.

The employee, who goes by the username carlyj1980, filmed herself in several areas within the supermarket, doing the jobs that customers typically find tedious.

In the video, Carly was seen mopping up a spill on the floor, cleaning a drain, deep cleaning a fridge, and cleaning out a skip bin full of rubbish.

The clip is accompanied by sarcastic commentaries, mentioning that the worker was just 'simply living life' in a tongue-in-cheek tribute to the unglamorous nature of the work.

Carly's post managed to capture the attention of over 180,000 viewers and hundreds of Coles employees online, with many of them sharing their 'experiences' working at the retail giant.

One person said: 'This is literally exactly what I do.'

'Oh yeah, cleaning out those drains is always my favourite,' another sarcastic comment read.

In other Coles news, the supermarket giant announced last week that it would be offering to deliver customers' online shopping orders by drone, allowing deliveries to be completed in a matter of minutes.

James Geddes, Coles Head of Network Development and Customer Delivery, said: 'We are delighted to be expanding our drone delivery pilot program with Wing to our Queensland customers.'

'The service will provide a convenient and effective way of delivering everyday essentials to our customers' homes in a matter of minutes.'

Key Takeaways

• A Coles worker has given a behind-the-scenes glimpse of what goes on at the supermarket giant, shining a spotlight on the numerous drab jobs that customers don't see.
  • The clip has been viewed by more than 180,000 people and attracted a flood of comments, many of whom said it showed a pretty accurate account of what it was like working for a big supermarket.

The initiative will start on Wednesday at the Gold Coast's Ormeau Village Shopping Centre.

Now that Coles is offering drone deliveries to some of its customers, will customers have an even more convenient time shopping with the supermarket giant? Or will this move force supermarket employees to do even more of the 'grunt work' while the prices of everyday items keep going up and the Aussies’ spending power keeps going down?

Also, for those who have worked in the supermarket industry, do you find Carly’s sentiments with the ‘unglamorous’ tasks relatable? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Cleaning is a part of life, we all have to do it to some degree. In my working life I used to have cleaning on a rota so that it didn't just fall to one person but everyone took a turn, including us managers.:). I would never ask one of my team to do something I did not do myself. :)

I had a glamorous job of finding brides their perfect dress but before we opened and after we closed we had cleaning. Vacuum needed to be done, kitchen cleaned and mirrors cleaned which every wall had one from floor to ceiling.
I would never ask someone to do anything that I never did myself.
My daughter us a manager at Mecca's and she often does a deep clean herself including changing of the oil.

What do these people want ? To work but not work and be paid !