93-year-old Holocaust survivor Zigi Shipper passes away on his birthday

The Seniors Discount Club team were deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Holocaust survivor Zigi Shipper, who died on his 93rd birthday.

Zygmunt 'Zigi' Shipper was born in 1930 in Łódź, Poland, into a Jewish family. In 1940, he and his family were forcibly relocated to the Łódź Ghetto as a result of the Nazi occupation of Poland.

In 1944, Shipper was transferred to Auschwitz-Birkenau and then to Stutthof concentration camp. He was eventually sent on a death march but miraculously survived until the camp's liberation in May 1945.

After the war, Shipper immigrated to the United Kingdom in 1947, where he started a new life, but did not return to Poland until 2000.

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 1.17.13 PM.png
Holocaust survivor and educator Zigi Shipper died on his 93rd birthday. Credit: Twitter/AuschwitzMuseum.

In the later decades of his life, Zigi became a powerful voice in Holocaust education, sharing his personal experiences with audiences across the globe. He gave lectures at prestigious venues, including several royal residences such as Buckingham Palace.

In 2017, he was personally invited by Prince William and Kate Middleton to join them on their visit to the Stutthof concentration camp, where he had been imprisoned during the war.

In 2021, Kate Middleton met with him again to mark Holocaust Memorial Day, showing the importance of his story and the role of education in remembering and honouring the victims of the Holocaust.

Last year, King Charles, as patron of the National Holocaust Memorial Day Trust, launched a powerful initiative to honour Holocaust survivors.

He commissioned seven captivating portraits of survivors, including one of Zigi, painted by renowned artist Jenny Saville. The portraits of Zigi and the other survivors were displayed in various royal residences, including Buckingham Palace.

The portraits serve as a powerful reminder of the resilience and strength of those who survived such atrocities and the importance of remembering the Holocaust - as well as an opportunity to see the powerful impact of art in preserving history and honouring survivors.

The finished portrait of Zigi can be viewed here in the link provided.

Prince William and Kate Middleton also shared their condolences over the passing of Zigi, posting a message on Twitter that said, 'We were sad to learn earlier today of his passing. He will be truly missed. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.'

Karen Pollock CBE, Chief Executive of the Holocaust Educational Trust, remembered Zigi for his amazing charisma and spirit.

'How do I describe Zigi? He was the most energetic, charismatic, charming, and brilliant person to have around. A man full of spirit with a devastating story to tell about his past, yet always sharing a message of hope and love,' she said.

Zigi is survived by his two daughters, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.
Key Takeaways

• Zigi Shipper, a Holocaust survivor, passed away on his 93rd birthday.
  • Prince William and Kate Middleton remembered Zigi with a kind tweet to the public.
  • He dedicated much of his life to Holocaust remembrance, sharing his story and educating the younger generation about the horrors he experienced.
  • Mr Shipper is survived by his two daughters, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.
Remembering the Holocaust

The memory of those who were lost in the Holocaust is further immortalised in many monuments and memorials around the world. These sites serve as a reminder of the horrors experienced by millions and of the strength, courage and resilience of survivors like Zigi Shipper.

In Israel, over 17,000 Holocaust victims are commemorated with memorials in Yad Vashem, a museum and a memorial complex dedicated to the Jewish victims of the Holocaust.

In Europe, many monuments, statues and memorials have been erected in solidarity with the six million Jews that were killed. In the UK, The Holocaust Memorial Day Trust was established in 2001 to commemorate the victims of the Holocaust and the latest genocides.

The importance of memorials and monuments can never be understated, as they serve as both a reminder of the past and a recognition of the tremendous courage and resilience of those who survived to tell the stories. They help to ensure that the horrors experienced are remembered and never forgotten.

Zigi was a truly remarkable person whose charisma and passion left a lasting impression on all who had the privilege of knowing him. He truly was an inspiration to all of us.

We extend our most heartfelt sympathies to his loved ones, who are undoubtedly grieving this tremendous loss. His legacy will live on through the countless lives he touched and the awareness he helped to raise.

He will be deeply missed.

Sponsored
It's sad to lose these living memories of the holocaust, there can't be many of them left now. I'm glad he found solace and acceptance in the UK after the war and that his life was turned around. May he rest in peace. :)

My neighbours were Stephanie Heller and Annetta Able.
They were born in Prague in 1924, and had survived medical atrocities under Nazi Dr Josef Mengele in Auschwitz.
They attributed their survival to the fact they were twins.
Every other member of their family perished. Stephanie passed away in 2019, aged 95.
Annetta is 98 now.

My neighbours were Stephanie Heller and Annetta Able.
They were born in Prague in 1924, and had survived medical atrocities under Nazi Dr Josef Mengele in Auschwitz.
They attributed their survival to the fact they were twins.
Every other member of their family perished. Stephanie passed away in 2019, aged 95.
Annetta is 98 now.
Thank you for sharing this. I have so much respect for these survivors, of which I know are few now.

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay
Total respect from my camp, too.
I've known them since the early 1960s....incredible people, wonderful families.
I wrote about them out of respect.
I've read that many books on the holocaust and the stories of its survivors, along with some stories of incredible resilience and faith. I have always wondered what it would be like to actually meet a survivor and listen to their story. It's great that they were able to share their story with you.

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay