$520 of meat for $52? Lucky Coles shopper reveals how

We all know just how expensive groceries have become over the last few years.

It can feel like feeding one’s self on a budget is becoming as challenging as a game of sudoku (or six-letter OzWord)!

That’s why when people are able to score great deals, we take note in the hopes that others can also save money in today’s trying times.

Such is the case for one Coles customer who managed to score over $500 worth of meat for just $52!

The woman recently shared her haul on an Aussie Facebook group for bargain hunters, Markdown Addicts Australia, which featured an impressive assortment of blade roasts, sandwich and quick-cook leg steaks, chicken breast fillets, and schnitzel.

We’re talking over a kilogram of blade roasts for as little as $1.76, sandwich and quick-cook leg steaks at a mere 70 cents, and chicken breast fillets measuring more than one kilogram each for just over a dollar each!

The woman was understandably proud while posting the pictures of her haul, telling the group: '$520 and paid $52 split between four families.'

328545429_514612990804317_4392217306072192201_n.jpg
The shopper was able to purchase meat for as low as 70 cents by chance at one Coles store. Image Credit: Facebook

The post has since earned over 3,000 likes, with fellow bargain hunters congratulating her success.

‘Wow, that’s good!’ one user said. ‘My best was $350 meat for $100.’

‘I’m so jealous I can’t look. Congratulations on your golden find,’ another added.

And a third added a relatable zinger: ‘That’s one great score, the only prices I ever see at my local supermarket is them increasing.’

Of course, many are probably asking, ‘How did she do it?'

Her answer was simple: it was simply a matter of luck.

'Right place, right time,' she said. 'I just (tried) my luck after work.'

This caused some confusion among other shoppers who tried catching markdowns but hadn’t come across any.

Thankfully one commenter had an answer: Once they’re marked down to these prices they sell FAST, which is the whole point of a drastic mark down.’

Another Coles shopper said pretty much the same thing when she saved $269 on what was supposed to be a $329 haul of chook and salmon in time for the holidays last December. That’s right, she only paid $70.40.

‘Markdown lady said Merry Christmas! My family and friends will be happy,’ she said.

Well, is there such a thing as ‘right timing’ in Coles?

At least as of last December, it appears there is, but luck also seems to play a big role.

‘Markdowns do not uniformly take place at the same time across stores,’ a spokesperson for Coles said.

‘We know our customers love good value so when a product is near its best-before date, we often mark it down so it can be enjoyed for a cheaper price, instead of being wasted.’

327713704_6130126733704251_9161617323717560846_n.jpg
The shopper revealed that her $52 haul was to be shared among four families. Image Credit: Facebook

One notable trend, however, in stories similar to those of our two lucky shoppers are sentiments that those who find bargain marked-down hauls sometimes take it too far.

In the case of the second shopper, some said she ‘should have left some behind’ considering it was the holidays, a time when many Aussies could use some discounts (not to mention chook and salmon!).

In another incident, a woman shopping at another Coles was criticised when she stored a piece of silverside in her trolley for thirty minutes while waiting for the price to drop.

One user reacted: ‘Someone else could have bought it for the original markdown price, but you had it in your trolley.’

Of course, an argument could be made that she was set on buying it — otherwise, she wouldn’t have waited — but there’s also valid reasoning for making sure there are enough discounted items to go around.

After all, it’s not uncommon to hear of Aussies forced to cut back on essentials in their budgets amid high cost-of-living pressures,

Well hopefully, there will come a time people won’t need to hope for marked-down goods just to get by.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer was able to bag $520 worth of meat for just $52.
  • The impressive haul included blade roasts, sandwich and quick-cook leg steaks, chicken breast fillets, and schnitzel.
  • The woman confessed it was all about luck.
  • A Coles spokesperson said that stores sometimes mark down products near their best-before dates to reduce wastage and offer value for money.
In related news, the recent weeks have put shoppers’ backs against the wall as prices continue rising.

Here’s a handy guide to understanding unit pricing as one way you can get more out of your money!

Unit prices aside, consumer advocacy group CHOICE shared other tips Aussies can use to save money while grocery shopping.

So, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you had similar luck finding marked-down items at your local supermarket?

Or maybe you have other tried-and-tested tips on saving money while grocery shopping?

Share your comments, experiences, and tips below!

Sponsored
Great score for the lucky shopper. My carer, eldest daughter yes I am fortunate, does all of my shopping and if she scores good markdowns these are then distributed with her brother's little family and her sister. Likewise my son when he does his family shop, nearly every week I score some goodies that I particularly like. I love how we share and split it when good fortune blesses us 😊🌸🐞🌸

It can feel like feeding one’s self on a budget is becoming as challenging as a game of sudoku (or six-letter OzWord)!

That’s why when people are able to score great deals, we take note in the hopes that others can also save money in today’s trying times.

Such is the case for one Coles customer who managed to score over $500 worth of meat for just $52!

The woman recently shared her haul on an Aussie Facebook group for bargain hunters, Markdown Addicts Australia, which featured an impressive assortment of blade roasts, sandwich and quick-cook leg steaks, chicken breast fillets, and schnitzel.

We’re talking over a kilogram of blade roasts for as little as $1.76, sandwich and quick-cook leg steaks at a mere 70 cents, and chicken breast fillets measuring more than one kilogram each for just over a dollar each!

The woman was understandably proud while posting the pictures of her haul, telling the group: '$520 and paid $52 split between four families.'

View attachment 12789
The shopper was able to purchase meat for as low as 70 cents by chance at one Coles store. Image Credit: Facebook

The post has since earned over 3,000 likes, with fellow bargain hunters congratulating her success.

‘I’m so jealous I can’t look. Congratulations on your golden find,’ another added.

And a third added a relatable zinger: ‘That’s one great score, the only prices I ever see at my local supermarket is them increasing.’

This caused some confusion among other shoppers who tried catching markdowns but hadn’t come across any.

Thankfully one commenter had an answer: Once they’re marked down to these prices they sell FAST, which is the whole point of a drastic mark down.’

Another Coles shopper said pretty much the same thing when she saved $269 on what was supposed to be a $329 haul of chook and salmon in time for the holidays last December. That’s right, she only paid $70.40.

‘Markdown lady said Merry Christmas! My family and friends will be happy,’ she said.

At least as of last December, it appears there is, but luck also seems to play a big role.

‘Markdowns do not uniformly take place at the same time across stores,’ a spokesperson for Coles said.

‘We know our customers love good value so when a product is near its best-before date, we often mark it down so it can be enjoyed for a cheaper price, instead of being wasted.’

View attachment 12788
The shopper revealed that her $52 haul was to be shared among four families. Image Credit: Facebook

One notable trend, however, in stories similar to those of our two lucky shoppers are sentiments that those who find bargain marked-down hauls sometimes take it too far.

In the case of the second shopper, some said she ‘should have left some behind’ considering it was the holidays, a time when many Aussies could use some discounts (not to mention chook and salmon!).

In another incident, a woman shopping at another Coles was criticised when she stored a piece of silverside in her trolley for thirty minutes while waiting for the price to drop.

One user reacted: ‘Someone else could have bought it for the original markdown price, but you had it in your trolley.’

Of course, an argument could be made that she was set on buying it — otherwise, she wouldn’t have waited — but there’s also valid reasoning for making sure there are enough discounted items to go around.

After all, it’s not uncommon to hear of Aussies forced to cut back on essentials in their budgets amid high cost-of-living pressures,

Well hopefully, there will come a time people won’t need to hope for marked-down goods just to get by.

Key Takeaways

• The impressive haul included blade roasts, sandwich and quick-cook leg steaks, chicken breast fillets, and schnitzel.
  • A Coles spokesperson said that stores sometimes mark down products near their best-before dates to reduce wastage and offer value for money.
In related news, the recent weeks have put shoppers’ backs against the wall as prices continue rising.

Here’s a handy guide to understanding unit pricing as one way you can get more out of your money!

Unit prices aside, consumer advocacy group CHOICE shared other tips Aussies can use to save money while grocery shopping.

So, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you had similar luck finding marked-down items at your local supermarket?

Or maybe you have other tried-and-tested tips on saving money while grocery shopping?

Absolutely amazing because buying food is so so expensive even if it only for one person

Reactions: Ricci
Can we stop having unnewsworthy (yes, it is a word) threads like this posted!
You only have to see the vultures circling in supermarkets to know when they are marking products down!

View attachment 12789

View attachment 12788

Key Takeaways

Good on you hunni, I know they mark down about 6pm but I can’t do evening/night driving I just can’t see, ( wouldn’t want to cause an accident) so I miss out, but all’s good cause I don’t eat meat 😁 and I only eat chicken once a week same with fish. I have 4 daughters and I go to their homes every week for dinner so I don’t buy a lot of chicken anyway as its just me at home now ☺️

View attachment 12789

View attachment 12788

Key Takeaways

Read the story and many others like it.
Right place right time
We all have our lil bitov luck
Even if it’s a car space
Be happy for ur fellow man
Their good luck
They might not have left any behind
But
May we’ll have done a cook up and shared
Don’t be a miserable moaner
Smiles cost nothing 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

Good on you hunni, I know they mark down about 6pm but I can’t do evening/night driving I just can’t see, ( wouldn’t want to cause an accident) so I miss out, but all’s good cause I don’t eat meat 😁 and I only eat chicken once a week same with fish. I have 4 daughters and I go to their homes every week for dinner so I don’t buy a lot of chicken anyway as its just me at home now ☺️
Ask a friend if they’ll take you
You both may score
Good luck 🤞

Please post if you are Driving after 6pm . I surely do not want to be on the Road. Can’t see!! Whew.

Can we stop having unnewsworthy (yes, it is a word) threads like this posted!
You only have to see the vultures circling in supermarkets to know when they are marking products down!
Well. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to pay full price for meats. If shoppers want to grab themselves a bargain all well and good for them to hover around!

• Haha
Reactions: sim140